Forget the Classics! What Sleeper hits do you want on the Virtual Console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#301 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]You know what forget about all these old console games, I want old arcade games on the VC. Why should I have to play the genesis versions of goldenaxe? Or the SNES streetfighter?Archangel3371

Have you picked up Street Fighter Anthology or Capcom Classics Collection Volumes 1 and 2? Great arcade stuff to be found there.

I'd also really love to see Konami to start cranking out some of their arcade games in some compilations. One game of theirs that I played only a little of back in the day but really enjoyed was Devastators.

I wouldn't mind seeing Treasure's N64 game Mischief Makers make an appearance on the VC too.

Ooh! What platforms are they on? I have no PS2. Which was a huge mistake. And what games were on the collections?

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#302 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts
[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]You know what forget about all these old console games, I want old arcade games on the VC. Why should I have to play the genesis versions of goldenaxe? Or the SNES streetfighter?gaminggeek

Have you picked up Street Fighter Anthology or Capcom Classics Collection Volumes 1 and 2? Great arcade stuff to be found there.

I'd also really love to see Konami to start cranking out some of their arcade games in some compilations. One game of theirs that I played only a little of back in the day but really enjoyed was Devastators.

I wouldn't mind seeing Treasure's N64 game Mischief Makers make an appearance on the VC too.

Ooh! What platforms are they on? I have no PS2. Which was a huge mistake. And what games were on the collections?

If you have an Xbox, I believe they are on there too(except for SF Alpha Anthology, I dont think that one made it to Xbox) SF anniversary collection contains SFII and SFIII:Third Strike.  I cant remember offhand what ones are on the Capcom collections.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#303 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44679 Posts

gaminggeek

Oh bummer. Anyway yeah like Gemini_Red said with the exception of Alpha Anthology they are also on Xbox. Street Fighter Anniversary is a really good pick-up since it has a very good port of Street Fighter III: Third Strike which is worth the price alone and it also an interesting amalgamation of Street Fighter II games into one unique version.

Capcom Classic Collection Vol. 1: Street Fighter II, SF II: Champion Edition, SF II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Commando, Gun.Smoke, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Legendary Wings, Forgotten Worlds, Mercs, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Final Fight

Those are the most notables but there are 22 games in all on the disc.

Capcom Classic Collection Vol. 2: Black Tiger, Captain Commando, Eco Fighters, King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Magic Sword, Mega Twins, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Varth

Those are the most notables but there are 20 games in all on the disc.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#304 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]You know what forget about all these old console games, I want old arcade games on the VC. Why should I have to play the genesis versions of goldenaxe? Or the SNES streetfighter?gaminggeek

Well, missing out on the PS2 is probably worse than missing out on the Dreamcast :-P
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 gaminggeek

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

Archangel3371

Oh bummer. Anyway yeah like Gemini_Red said with the exception of Alpha Anthology they are also on Xbox. Street Fighter Anniversary is a really good pick-up since it has a very good port of Street Fighter III: Third Strike which is worth the price alone and it also an interesting amalgamation of Street Fighter II games into one unique version.

Capcom Classic Collection Vol. 1: Street Fighter II, SF II: Champion Edition, SF II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Commando, Gun.Smoke, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Legendary Wings, Forgotten Worlds, Mercs, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Final Fight

Those are the most notables but there are 22 games in all on the disc.

Capcom Classic Collection Vol. 2: Black Tiger, Captain Commando, Eco Fighters, King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Magic Sword, Mega Twins, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Varth

Those are the most notables but there are 20 games in all on the disc.

SonofaB! Why did no one tell me this before? :shock:

The hunt is on.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#306 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

ANYTHING 2D in this day and age is worth mentioning in my book...

How about 7 2D, Contra/GunStar-esque games for $39.99...

That's under $6 dollars per game... The equivalant to possibly less than what they may have been on the VC...

In case you haven't guessed where I am going with this yet:

Available TODAY (12/15) in the US for the Wii: METAL SLUG ANTHOLOGY ! ! !

Spirit_of_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 Spirit_of_87
Member since 2003 • 2423 Posts

ANYTHING 2D in this day and age is worth mentioning in my book...

How about 7 2D, Contra/GunStar-esque games for $39.99...

That's under $6 dollars per game... The equivalent to possibly less than what they may have been on the VC...

In case you haven't guessed where I am going with this yet:

Available TODAY (12/15) in the US for the Wii: METAL SLUG ANTHOLOGY ! ! !

Phantom_Leo

Yeah, I just got back home with my copy of the game:D  (I also picked up Super Swing Golf)  The clerk at the store pointed out that the back of the box has the wii-mote with the number 4?  I am guessing that they some how managed to incorporate 4 player action???  :shock:   I need to check this out for myself.  Anyway, I will be playing this awesome collection with a wavebird controller:wink:

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 gaminggeek

I love the metal slug games, I hate the difficulty. Even on easy on the Xbox version I get my buttocks handed to me.

And I need to be able to shoot diagonally while running contra style. 

lewis-ritchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 lewis-ritchie
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

THE LITTLE BIG ADVENTURE SERIES!!!! what? i hear you say its only the best adventure game ever made

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

I love the metal slug games, I hate the difficulty. Even on easy on the Xbox version I get my buttocks handed to me.

And I need to be able to shoot diagonally while running contra style.

gaminggeek
Ah, Metal Slug. Beautiful fast-paced action. It was a blast to play on arcade with a friend, I kind of lost track of the series after the second installment, but there are some good memories in there. :)
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 Phantom_Leo

Anyone wanting to test their mettle on the hardest RPG EVER should hope this one is released on VC...

I'm guessing Enix would opt NOT to, as the kids weened on FF7 would probably just break down and cry...

Anyway, here's a screen shot:

And, yes, I conquered the unconquereable and beat this one.

This. Target Earth. Gaiares. BattleToads. These rank amongst the hardest games I have ever played.

Anyone want to share some oldies but toughies?

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 Phantom_Leo

Gaiares.

Target: Earth.

BattleToads.

( Ouch! My thumbs hurt just looking at that last picture! But, I must say, of ALL the TMNT knockoffs that came out, BattleToads was by far the best AND better than any TMNT proper game! )

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 SteelAttack

Pictures of pain.
Phantom_Leo

From all 4 games mentioned (I don't even recognize the first one), I only played Battletoads. As far as BT go, I must agree with you, it was hard as nails and I didn't finish it, or even came close to. But which one is the hardest RPG ever?
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 Phantom_Leo

[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"]
Pictures of pain.
SteelAttack

From all 4 games mentioned (I don't even recognize the first one), I only played Battletoads. As far as BT go, I must agree with you, it was hard as nails and I didn't finish it, or even came close to. But which one is the hardest RPG ever?

The 7th Saga by Enix, released for the Super Nintendo.

Fairly decent graphics for its time. Radar to avoid enemies, if you choose to (you really shouldn't). Not much of a storyline, and tough as nails.

You were competing against 6 other adventurers for... something or other... I really don't remember anymore... Some would join you. Others would fight you. Say your prayers when you have to fight one though. Chances are you didn't have a chance in hell...

...Until you power leveled for a few hours, that is, and went back...

Tough, tough, tough...

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 SteelAttack

Fairly decent graphics for its time. Radar to avoid enemies, if you choose to (you really shouldn't). Not much of a storyline, and tough as nails.

You were competing against 6 other adventurers for... something or other... I really don't remember anymore... Some would join you. Others would fight you. Say your prayers when you have to fight one though. Chances are you didn't have a chance in hell...

Tough, tough, tough...

Phantom_Leo

Ah! The 7th Saga was the game you mentioned the other day when Deadly Towers and Legacy of the Wizard popped up, right? And you want to endure this grueling task again? I hope this thread never dies :)
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 Phantom_Leo

I had high hopes for this one:

Co-developed with Ex-Street Fighter people and put out by Namco. It was too tough for it's own good. I loved the "clashing of the swords and recoil/parrying" mechanic, but it faded into obscurity pretty quick.

Another toughie I am surprised no one mentioned yet:

The bottom picture is self-explanatory, but, any love from anyone else but me for the top picture?

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 Phantom_Leo
[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"]

Tough, tough, tough...

SteelAttack

Ah! The 7th Saga was the game you mentioned the other day when Deadly Towers and Legacy of the Wizard popped up, right? And you want to endure this grueling task again? I hope this thread never dies :)

I'll keep this thread alive as long as there is interest (pretty much for as long as Wii has its Virtual Console)...

Yeah, I mentioned some games before, but sometimes SEEING the actual games evokes more memories than simply naming them!

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 SteelAttack

Yeah, I mentioned some games before, but sometimes SEEING the actual games evokes more memories than simply naming them!

Phantom_Leo

That Battletoads screen proves you right, it evokes more than just memories. (Also frustration and anger :P).
Hey that other screen is from Weaponlord! Right?
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 Phantom_Leo
[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"]

SteelAttack

That Battletoads screen proves you right, it evokes more than just memories. (Also frustration and anger :P).
Hey that other screen is from Weaponlord! Right?

Absolutely. As 2D fighters go, it was best played 2 player... Yeah. Right. Just try explaining the mechanics of that game to anyone else and then have them have enough patience to actually play against you...

I loved it. The sounds of the swords/weapons clanging against each other. The recoil and reaction. The blood! :twisted: Even Soul Calibur isn't as sophisticated NOW as this game was back then... Way ahead of it's time and way too difficult... Oh well...

Chances of a Virtual Console release. Nil!

joyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 joyer
Member since 2003 • 979 Posts

I had high hopes for this one:

Co-developed with Ex-Street Fighter people and put out by Namco. It was too tough for it's own good. I loved the "clashing of the swords and recoil/parrying" mechanic, but it faded into obscurity pretty quick.

Another toughie I am surprised no one mentioned yet:

The bottom picture is self-explanatory, but, any love from anyone else but me for the top picture?

Phantom_Leo

warlord? they hyped it... it didnt live up to the hype as a street fighter killer... and it passed on without anyone caring really

i dont think fighters that dont pass through arcades have much of a chance really n theyre normally rubbish... but id download this just to see what its about all the same

someone did mention the super star wars... to me that was a tough game

me and my friend rented it, used cheat codes or an action replay and still couldnt finish it lol

edit: ack beaten to it

gta11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 277

#322 gta11
Member since 2004 • 2663 Posts
Spell Caster Hell Yeah!!! That game 0wned!!
gta11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 277

#323 gta11
Member since 2004 • 2663 Posts
And Super Star Wars.
themexican201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 themexican201
Member since 2003 • 368 Posts
Earthbound for SNES was a really good game that i loved, and it had ness in it. Plus maybe a remake of Super Mario RPG
BangaaPride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 BangaaPride
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts
The Adventures of Lolo 1-3. There was a puzzle/maze game! Made by the Kirby people too! (Though when Kirby took off I think they forgot about poor Lolo! :(  )
snoz_dawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#326 snoz_dawg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts
Bubsy for SNES. Most underrated 2D platformer ever!
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 Phantom_Leo

The Adventures of Lolo 1-3. There was a puzzle/maze game! Made by the Kirby people too! (Though when Kirby took off I think they forgot about poor Lolo! :(  )BangaaPride

I guess you can call Lolo, Kirby's Daddy then?

Hal seems to have a penchant for simple, round shaped heroes...

Isn't it amazing what backing from Nintendo does, though?

Hal makes Lolo. The world yawns.

They paint him pink and slap the Nintendo Logo on him, and the world takes notice!

Hi! Kirby here! Buy my new game: Kirby

Squeak Squad,

Available NOW on the HUGELY popular

Nintendo DS ! ! !

It's SURE to be one of the most popular

games for tykes this holiday season ! ! !

Happy Holidays and See you Soon in

Smash

Bros. Brawl, coming soon for the ALSO

HUGELY popular Nintendo Wii ! ! !

Don't forget to watch my show and buy my

DVD's too ! ! !

Anyway...

Hugs and Kisses! Your pal KIRBY ! ! !

[ Ummm... Hello everyone... Remember me? ... ... ... ...hello?]

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 SteelAttack

[ Ummm... Hello everyone... Remember me? ... ... ... ...hello?]

Phantom_Leo

:lol: I love Lolo! But I guess he didn't hit mainstream because his games turned obnoxiously difficult after level 30 or something.
He seems so sad and lonely in that picture. :cry: :lol:
BangaaPride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 BangaaPride
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts
If that wasn't bad enough Lolo and Lala are in Kirby's show as well but hardly get any stage time....
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 Phantom_Leo

Wow! I had ABSOLUTLEY no idea they were! I can't say I've ever watched the show...

I was just being a wise-@$$.

:twisted:

freshfighter83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 freshfighter83
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts
Panzer Dragoon Saga for sega saturn
sumarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 sumarr
Member since 2006 • 944 Posts
Baseball Wars for the NES. Robot baseball at it's finest.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 Phantom_Leo

In honor of Rocky coming out this week we should get Punch Out on the VC.  Another great NES boxer was Ring King, despite its um hidden sexual references...

Oh and I would love to see Evander Holyfield boxing for the Genesis on the VC, excellent boxing game.

dvader654

Can't say I'm much of a boxing fan, so I have no love for Evander or Ring King...

ANY self-respecting Nintendo fan has played Punch-Out though, of course...

Equal time for all old-school games here though!

The one and only question I have after seeing your post though, Vader, is: hidden... sexual... references... (?)

You have me scared and intrigued all at the same time... :o

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 Phantom_Leo
[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

In honor of Rocky coming out this week we should get Punch Out on the VC.  Another great NES boxer was Ring King, despite its um hidden sexual references...

Oh and I would love to see Evander Holyfield boxing for the Genesis on the VC, excellent boxing game.

dvader654

The one and only question I have after seeing your post though, Vader, is: hidden... sexual... references... (?)

You have me scared and intrigued all at the same time... :o

When you are in the corner in between rounds, to recover health it LOOKS like your trainer is um... giving you... um... yeah...

Well now... That makes one MORE game I'm going to have to download!

Just to actually see what you are talking about...

No... Really!

Ok. What can I say? I never said I was a normal, well adjusted individual! :twisted:

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 Phantom_Leo

Since we're on THAT topic, here's a few more fun titles to add to the VC sleepers list:

Rival Schools 2

Streets of Rage 3

Heck, why not some Katamari Damacy?

And, finally, did anyone notice that Masaya is on the list of VC contributors?

The fine developers of:

Cho Aniki !

'Nuff said!

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 Phantom_Leo
[ PS. IF the above post is too much for anyone to handle, post as such and I will remove it, so as NOT to get this topic locked! Thanks! ]
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 SteelAttack
Leo, that...erm...gentleman from Streets of Rage reminded me of a similar...gentleman from an old beat'em up named Vendetta, you remember it?  I never played Streets, but I did play Vendetta, and the guy actually grabbed you in a, well...unsavory fashion, you know? :shock:

joyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 joyer
Member since 2003 • 979 Posts

wrong

i want streets of rage though... number 2 ftw!

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 Phantom_Leo

OMG my eyes! :Pdvader654

Oh! Vader! I am sooo sorry! Here's something to make you forget that last post!

:twisted:

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 Phantom_Leo

Leo, that...erm...gentleman from Streets of Rage reminded me of a similar...gentleman from an old beat'em up named Vendetta, you remember it?  I never played Streets, but I did play Vendetta, and the guy actually grabbed you in a, well...unsavory fashion, you know? :shock:

SteelAttack

Hmmm... can't say I do...

(remember Vendetta, that is)

I tried to Google it, but all I got was some monochrome PC fighter... Is that what you are referring to?

(never been much of a PC guy!)

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344 Phantom_Leo

Baseball Wars for the NES. Robot baseball at it's finest.sumarr

I assume you mean CyberStadium: BaseWars (by Ultra, aka Konami), right?

It was one of the few sports games I gave the time of day to, back then...

[ Apparently it's not quite as popular as some stinky, old SNK BaseBall Sim 3000... Or something... :P ] 

trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#345 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts

Descent amazed me when I first played it...thankfully there is a some hope for a new installment:

http://coredecision.highoctane.biz/index.php

Also Valkyrie Profile needs to be released on a home console, the game doesn't feel right on the PSP.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]Leo, that...erm...gentleman from Streets of Rage reminded me of a similar...gentleman from an old beat'em up named Vendetta, you remember it?  I never played Streets, but I did play Vendetta, and the guy actually grabbed you in a, well...unsavory fashion, you know? :shock:

Phantom_Leo

I tried to Google it, but all I got was some monochrome PC fighter... Is that what you are referring to?

Perhaps you are referring to Irem's Vigilante?
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 SteelAttack

[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]Leo, that...erm...gentleman from Streets of Rage reminded me of a similar...gentleman from an old beat'em up named Vendetta, you remember it?  I never played Streets, but I did play Vendetta, and the guy actually grabbed you in a, well...unsavory fashion, you know? :shock:

Phantom_Leo

Well, check this wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendetta_(arcade_game) Sorry I can't link because this piece of junk got its web browser screwed up. Funny thing is that the entry reads that the game was censored outside asia to remove that gentleman that I was talking about, but I do remember (quite vividly, sadly :cry:) that character, so I'm assuming I got to play the uncensored version of the game. It's good to see that Fabio keeps his presence fresh throughout this thread. :P
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 Phantom_Leo

Descent amazed me when I first played it...thankfully there is a some hope for a new installment:

http://coredecision.highoctane.biz/index.php

Also Valkyrie Profile needs to be released on a home console, the game doesn't feel right on the PSP.
trifecta_basic

I loved the true 3D-space, dizziness of Descent!

We used to hook the original PSOnes together via the link cables and a few TV's just to play multiplayer!

I was so smitten for a while, that when THIS game came out:

I played IT to death as well... Just for it's remote similarities to Descent!

It had half the gameplay, but twice the colored lighting effects and that was enough for me!

Anyone remember the game pictured? 

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 Phantom_Leo

Either no interest, or no clue which game I am referring to, so here is the answer:

You know, Forsaken, the game that DID NOT have Kate Winslett on the box! :P

Here's a quick, TRUE, funny story:

I was working in a game store when this game came out. It was around this time of year. A woman picks up the box, and quite innocently and seriously asks me: "Do you have Foreskin?"

Being the consummate professional I was at the time I kept an entirely straight face and answered simply: "No, sorry, we are out. That is just a display box."

Whenever my old friends and I gather together from that particular store, it is literally a matter of minutes before ONE of us brings up that woman, and we all burst into gut-busting laughter, each and every time...!

:) :D :lol:

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 gaminggeek

Either no interest, or no clue which game I am referring to, so here is the answer:

You know, Forsaken, the game that DID NOT have Kate Winslett on the box! :P

Here's a quick, TRUE, funny story:

I was working in a game store when this game came out. It was around this time of year. A woman picks up the box, and quite inncocently and seriously asks me: "Do you have Foreskin?"

Being the consummate professional I was at the time I kept an entirely straight face and answered simply: "No, sorry, we are out. That is just a display box."

Whenever my old friends and I gather together from that particular store, it is literally a matter of minutes before ONE of us brings up that woman, and we all burst into gut-busting laughter, each and every time...!

:) :D :lol:

Phantom_Leo

You should have replied "Do you want me to get it out for you?"