Star Wars Battlefront Experience Coming to PlayStation VR
Sony partnering with EA to bring Star Wars Battlefront to its virtual reality headset.
A Star Wars Battlefront experience is coming to PlayStation VR as part of a partnership between Sony and EA. The announcement was made at the platform holder's GDC presentation, during which it focused on its upcoming virtual reality headset.
Further details were not provided, but Andrew House, president of Sony Computer Entertainment, described it as a "cinematic gaming experience" based on EA and DICE's first-person shooter.
During the event Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 4-powered VR headset will cost $400 in North America, €399 in Europe, and £349 in the United Kingdom. It is scheduled for launch in October 2016. Over 230 developers are already building content for PlayStation VR, according to House.
The Star Wars Battlefront experience is one of 50 games that will be available for PlayStation VR at launch. Further details on the specs of PlayStation VR can be found here.
On March 15, a trailer for Star Wars: Trials on Tatooine leaked online, showing off an impressive "cinematic virtual reality experiment" developed by Industrial Light and Magic, the studio behind the special effects in the Star Wars series. This, however, is tied to Valve and HTC's Vive headset.
Star Wars Battlefront launched in November 2015 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. It shipped more than 13 million copies, outpacing EA's own projections for the game. According to EA, multiple sequels are in development.
In January, EA outlined its Star Wars DLC and expansion release date plans for 2016 and beyond. According to the schedule, the Outer Rim expansion (set for release in March) will allow players to "fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt's palace on Tatooine." It has been suggested that a Hut Contracts mode will also come with this DLC package.
Further Reading: All the PSVR News and Reaction
- PlayStation VR Release Date
- PlayStation VR Price
- $400 PlayStation VR Requires $60 PS4 Camera
- PlayStation VR Bundle With Camera and Controller Confirmed
- PSVR Price Delivers Profit at Each Sale, Sony Exec Claims
- All PlayStation VR Games Confirmed So Far
- All PS4 Games Can be Played in PlayStation VR
- Star Wars Battlefront Experience Coming to PlayStation VR
- Ubisoft announces Warewolf VR game
- Here's All the Game Devs Supporting PlayStation VR
- PlayStation VR Sold Out in Minutes on Amazon UK
- Oculus VR Founder Says $400 PlayStation VR Is "A Totally Fair Price"
- PlayStation VR Sales Could Hit 1.6 Million Units, Analyst Claims
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.