PlayStation VR Sold Out in Minutes on Amazon UK
Pre-orders begin for second stock allotment; Game UK taking £100 deposits in stores.
Retail giant Amazon UK has sold out of its initial allotment of PlayStation VR headsets just minutes after making it available to pre-order. The online retail giant restricted orders to one unit per customer "due to limited stock," but still exhausted stock quickly.
This gives credence to reports that there will be a constrained supply of the PlayStation 4-powered virtual reality headset, as suggested by Piers Harding-Rolls, technology and lead games business analyst at IHS.
Although Sony's virtual reality headset is now listed as "currently unavailable" on Amazon UK, the retailer is taking further pre-orders. It is likely that, due to the supply constraints, these orders will be fulfilled using secondary supply allotments provided by Sony. Those who order from this point on may not receive PlayStation VR at launch.
"Based on our initial allocation we cannot guarantee release day delivery if you ordered after 11:45 AM GMT, Wednesday 16 March, 2016," Amazon UK said in a statement.
"You will be notified via email of the expected delivery date closer to the time. This product comes with a UK plug and therefore may not be suitable for use outside of the UK."
UK specialist retailer Game, meanwhile, is also accepting PlayStation VR pre-orders and has two configurations available. The first is just the headset on its own, while the second is the headset along with the PlayStation Camera which is required, but sold separately.
While there isn't currently an upfront payment taken on Game's website, the retailer is taking £100 deposits at its high-street stores.
Sony has confirmed the PlayStation VR release date will be in October 2016. It will be available for $400 in North America, €399 in Europe, £349 in the United Kingdom, $549.95 in Australia, and ¥44,980 in Japan.
The base PlayStation VR package does not include Move controllers, which typically retails for around $40/£40 or the PlayStation Camera, which usually costs $50/£40.
Further Reading: All the PSVR News and Reaction
- PlayStation VR Release Date
- PlayStation VR Price
- $400 PlayStation VR Requires $60 PS4 Camera
- PlayStation VR Bundle With Camera and Controller Confirmed
- PSVR Price Delivers Profit at Each Sale, Sony Exec Claims
- All PlayStation VR Games Confirmed So Far
- All PS4 Games Can be Played in PlayStation VR
- Star Wars Battlefront Experience Coming to PlayStation VR
- Ubisoft announces Warewolf VR game
- Here's All the Game Devs Supporting PlayStation VR
- PlayStation VR Sold Out in Minutes on Amazon UK
- Oculus VR Founder Says $400 PlayStation VR Is "A Totally Fair Price"
- PlayStation VR Sales Could Hit 1.6 Million Units, Analyst Claims
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com