$400 PlayStation VR Requires $60 PS4 Camera
PS4 camera and Move controllers not included.
Following Sony's reveal of the PlayStation VR headset's price and release date at the Game Developer's Conference this morning, a PlayStation representative has confirmed with GameSpot that the headset will require a PS4 camera to function. The camera is not bundled with the $400 PlayStation VR package by default and must be purchased separately for $60.
Those who purchase a PlayStation VR will need to buy Move controllers separately, which are required for some games. Move controllers are normally priced at $50 each, with certain games needing two controllers.
The PlayStation VR will launch this October worldwide. Powered by the PlayStation 4, the device will cost $400 in the United States, €399 in Europe, £349 in the United Kingdom, $549.95 in Australia, and ¥44,980 in Japan. This price will get you the headset, a Wii-sized processor unit and a series of cables, including HDMI and USB, among others.
By comparison, the Oculus Rift will begin to ship to pre-order customers later this month. It is available at a starting price of $600. HTC Vive, meanwhile, is scheduled to arrive in April for $800. The major difference for PlayStation VR, however, is that it does not require a PC, as it runs on PS4.
Further Reading: All the PSVR News and Reaction
- PlayStation VR Release Date
- PlayStation VR Price
- $400 PlayStation VR Requires $60 PS4 Camera
- PlayStation VR Bundle With Camera and Controller Confirmed
- PSVR Price Delivers Profit at Each Sale, Sony Exec Claims
- All PlayStation VR Games Confirmed So Far
- All PS4 Games Can be Played in PlayStation VR
- Star Wars Battlefront Experience Coming to PlayStation VR
- Ubisoft announces Warewolf VR game
- Here's All the Game Devs Supporting PlayStation VR
- PlayStation VR Sold Out in Minutes on Amazon UK
- Oculus VR Founder Says $400 PlayStation VR Is "A Totally Fair Price"
- PlayStation VR Sales Could Hit 1.6 Million Units, Analyst Claims
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org