Final Fantasy 14 Is Coming To Xbox One, At Long Last
FFXIV for Xbox One is in progress.
With X019 happening, plenty of big announcement have been made for Microsoft's gaming platforms, including several Japanese games making their way to Xbox. A total of 10 Final Fantasy games will hit Xbox Game Pass, while Sega revealed three Yakuza games will debut on the platform as well. But what wasn't part of the stage show was Xbox boss Phil Spencer confirming that Square Enix's MMORPG, Final Fantasy XIV, will be coming to Xbox One.
In addressing the press at X019, Spencer said, "I wanted you to know, rest assured that we will be bringing that game [Final Fantasy XIV] to Xbox. We have a great relationship with Yoshida-san [FFXIV director] and we’re working through what it means to bring [to Xbox] a cross-platform MMO that they’ve run for years."
While it may not come as too much of a surprise, since FFXIV director/producer Naoki Yoshida has continually said he hopes to eventually bring the game to other platforms, Spencer's statement makes it clear that things are actually moving along. No potential release date or launch window was suggested, however.
In a previous interview with Yoshida-san, he told us, "My direction has never changed from the beginning when we started with A Realm Reborn: strive to have as many people play FFXIV on multiple platforms. Secondly, I want to allow people to play with their friends without any cross-platform limitations. I am still in discussion with Microsoft and Nintendo to make this a reality."
FFXIV and all three of its expansions are playable now on PC and PS4; for more on why the MMORPG is important, be sure to read our FFXIV Shadowbringers review, post-mortem interview with Yoshida-san, and feature on how the latest expansion became one of the best stories told in franchise history. And for more on X019, check out our stories below:
- X019 Inside Xbox News: Halo Reach Coming To MCC, New Obsidian Game, And More
- Lots Of Final Fantasy Games Coming To Xbox Game Pass; Kingdom Hearts Heads To Xbox One
- Xbox Scarlett Won't Be "Out Of Position" On Power Or Price, Says Xbox Boss
- Rare Announces New IP, Everwild
- Halo: Reach Coming To Xbox Game Pass And PC Soon
- Yakuza Series Is Coming To Xbox Game Pass
- Obsidian's Grounded Is Honey, I Shrunk The Kids Meets Rust
- Life Is Strange Dev Reveals New Game, Tell Me Why
- Outer Worlds Dev's Next Game Is As Far From Space As You Can Get
- DmC and Hellblade Dev's Next Game, Bleeding Edge, Release Date Leaked
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.