xbox live - do i really have to pay to play!?

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spongey_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 spongey_m
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Hi All,

Although I've beena gamer for quite sometime, in recent years my gaming activity has decreased due to getting married and work, despite owning all the consoles inc. handhelds currently on the market - can't beat a gadget!

I have never really gotten into online gaming, and whilst the ps3 does allow me to play gt5 online, the wii allows me play mario kart etc. for free, do I really have to pay £40 to play against someone on COD4 & 5, Street Fighter, Halo3 etc?

I probably don't play 360 enough to justify the money, but just want to know if those games or any at all are free to play against others online.

Cheers!

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sourcerah
Member since 2003 • 1214 Posts
unfortunately, you have to pay to play against people online. Sucks, doesn't it?
RimeSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RimeSoldier
Member since 2009 • 90 Posts

Yes because the live is where you start being cheap, just pay for 12 months + 1 free month, then pay again

13 months is a very long time, so just get it...dont be cheap

alexbaricco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 alexbaricco
Member since 2008 • 350 Posts

You have to pay, and to add injury to insult (sic) to my knowledge they don't have back-up servers to deal with lag.

GiveMeIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 GiveMeIce
Member since 2007 • 496 Posts

It's not that expensive and it sure beats playing by yourself.

LostSoul781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LostSoul781
Member since 2003 • 1630 Posts

$50 a year is pretty cheap.

spongey_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 spongey_m
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

it sucks big time! i know it does work out cheap over the period of a year, but if I don't use it, it's really going to annoy me and feel like I've wasted the money!!! I will probably sign up soon, and just not buy a game for a couple of months to make up for it! cheers for the help peeps!

frob1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 frob1965
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts

ive found 12 monthxbox live cardson the internet for under $40.

kboone13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kboone13
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
It's not being cheap, its called "I already paid for the game, system, and the internet connection(possibly even the ethernet cable or WiFi port)! Should I also have to pay to play with what I've already paid for!?!?!"
shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
although its a fee we would all wish we were without, a year from now if i asked you would you rather renew your membership or play psn for the next year, youll have renewed you XBL membership in the time it would take to answer that question. In short, its definitely worth it
cheames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cheames
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts
Microsoft are well known for bleeding their loyal customers dry. Fortunately in this instance, its worth it. Don't get mugged into buying the official wireless adapter though.
sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sourcerah
It's not being cheap, its called "I already paid for the game, system, and the internet connection(possibly even the ethernet cable or WiFi port)! Should I also have to pay to play with what I've already paid for!?!?!"kboone13
Thank You kboone13!! I really don't see how people are saying it's being cheap. For those who are saying that, are you paying any bills? Mortgage, rent, car notes, water, lights, cell phone, anything?? If so, how can you say such a thing, especially in this economy. That $50 can go to other expenses. But i bet most of you all have mommy and daddy pay for it, so i guess it really isn't cheap, is it?
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
if you work is 50 bucks that much? for a whole year? like come on person on min wadge can make 50 bucks easy in a day of work. 2 50 bucks for a year is not much if u can afford all the 3 systems like come on
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts

Yes you do have to pay. If you don't want to then just play on the PS3.

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sourcerah
if you work is 50 bucks that much? for a whole year? like come on person on min wadge can make 50 bucks easy in a day of work. 2 50 bucks for a year is not much if u can afford all the 3 systems like come on k2theswiss
if you work, no, $50 may not be that much. But when the competitors gives theirs away for free, not to mention that they have wifi built in, it seems a bit ridiculous. But seriously, how are you defending paying $50?I really can't understand how you people defend paying a fee. A fee that the competition doesn't have to pay. Everybody always talks about all the extras that comes with xbox live, but what if you don't want all that b.s... A lot of people just want to have the ability to play against/with other people online. THAT"S IT! No netflix or corny segments with Major Nelson. I'll admit I do like the demo's, but silver members only have to wait a week more to play. Is that supposed to be an incentive for gold members? It's sooo obvious some of you people have money to spend and throw away since your defending paying a fee that enables access to to play game that you already paid for on a system that you already paid for using internet access you already are paying for. I bet most of you never struggled a day in your life. Then what about the lag? Also, can someone explain exactly what they do with the $50 since it's obvious it's not used to fix the servers.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

Hi All,

Although I've beena gamer for quite sometime, in recent years my gaming activity has decreased due to getting married and work, despite owning all the consoles inc. handhelds currently on the market - can't beat a gadget!

I have never really gotten into online gaming, and whilst the ps3 does allow me to play gt5 online, the wii allows me play mario kart etc. for free, do I really have to pay £40 to play against someone on COD4 & 5, Street Fighter, Halo3 etc?

I probably don't play 360 enough to justify the money, but just want to know if those games or any at all are free to play against others online.

Cheers!

spongey_m

its only $50 for 13 months man. you can get a free trial if you dont like like it...come on

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sourcerah
[QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

[QUOTE="spongey_m"]

Hi All,

Cheers!

its only $50 for 13 months man. you can get a free trial if you dont like like it...come on

here we go again
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

You can just wait until it is on sale. I got two 13 months of xbox live for $60(US).

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]if you work is 50 bucks that much? for a whole year? like come on person on min wadge can make 50 bucks easy in a day of work. 2 50 bucks for a year is not much if u can afford all the 3 systems like come on sourcerah
if you work, no, $50 may not be that much. But when the competitors gives theirs away for free, not to mention that they have wifi built in, it seems a bit ridiculous. But seriously, how are you defending paying $50?I really can't understand how you people defend paying a fee. A fee that the competition doesn't have to pay. Everybody always talks about all the extras that comes with xbox live, but what if you don't want all that b.s... A lot of people just want to have the ability to play against/with other people online. THAT"S IT! No netflix or corny segments with Major Nelson. I'll admit I do like the demo's, but silver members only have to wait a week more to play. Is that supposed to be an incentive for gold members? It's sooo obvious some of you people have money to spend and throw away since your defending paying a fee that enables access to to play game that you already paid for on a system that you already paid for using internet access you already are paying for. I bet most of you never struggled a day in your life. Then what about the lag? Also, can someone explain exactly what they do with the $50 since it's obvious it's not used to fix the servers.

Look it's really very simple - you don't want to pay the fee then don't play online. If you do want to play online, pay the fee and quit moaning about it.

Xbox Live offers abetter service than either PSN or Wii online, and MS decided to charge for it. No amount of moaning or putting "Make Xbox Live free" in your motto will make any difference. Anyway if you live in the US be grateful that you already pay less for Live than any other country.

For the original poster - you don't have to buy a full year of Live. If you only want to play online occasionally you can buy it 1 month at a time, or 3 month cards from stores. They cost a bit more per month than buying a 12 month card, but if you aren't going to use it much, it could work out better for you. If you look on ebay you can find people that email the codes and you can get your year for under 30 quid.

jameeler91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jameeler91
Member since 2006 • 1312 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]if you work is 50 bucks that much? for a whole year? like come on person on min wadge can make 50 bucks easy in a day of work. 2 50 bucks for a year is not much if u can afford all the 3 systems like come on sourcerah

Agreed. Im not even that old but I do work.I know how it is to have my own money in my posession, even though I still do live at home w/ my fam. The money you do pay for Live is obviously not used to fix servers.The least M$ could do is do that. Either that or reduce the yearly cost, causeat this ratethey're just milking their customers dry.

TheodenofRohan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 TheodenofRohan
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts

[QUOTE="kboone13"]It's not being cheap, its called "I already paid for the game, system, and the internet connection(possibly even the ethernet cable or WiFi port)! Should I also have to pay to play with what I've already paid for!?!?!"sourcerah
Thank You kboone13!! I really don't see how people are saying it's being cheap. For those who are saying that, are you paying any bills? Mortgage, rent, car notes, water, lights, cell phone, anything?? If so, how can you say such a thing, especially in this economy. That $50 can go to other expenses. But i bet most of you all have mommy and daddy pay for it, so i guess it really isn't cheap, is it?

I pay bills, CC, Car Insurance, health insurance, house payments, internet, ect list goes on yet 39.99 a year doesnt break me... sounds like someone needs to micro manage their funds better if 40 bucks breaks you for a year.. An I live on my own so "mommy and daddy" dont help, its called being smart on my finances.. hell save 5 bucks a check if your that strapped, an guess what 39.99 comes very fast sigh

Hey you could play on sony's servers an pay nothin yet get FEW updates and patches.... Lets weigh the options shall we?

1. pay for servers that get maintenced and updated at a decent pace... OR

2. pay nonething and play on servers that drop players from sheer fact that the connection line gets bogged up...

You see? Actually paying for something to be kept up to par or better because they can pay their techs to do what they are supposed to do..

Dont get me wrong i have PS3 too but the major flaw is they dont have regular maintence on their service an 90% of games that utilize mics, are supported well for whatever reason.. X360 has the advantage here, mics are used and they have minimal probs

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

lol i never struggle in life lol thats funny. Live in small house, only time i ever get a dime from my mom is my b-day and xmas and thats 100 bucks and if i'm lucky 150. if i want anything else i must work for it.... Payed for driving school, pretty much every kid i know at school their stupid parents paid for, my 1300 dollar 1996 car, my xbox, my laptop, pay half of the internet bill every month, and soon have to start paying for school next year... gov paying 3/4's of the bill but 1600 a semaster.... From all that i still think xbox live is pretty cheap for a year so ya i must not struggle huh?

mtgamedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mtgamedude
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

The only thing you can do when yoursubscription runs out is talk to people... so if you just go on to be social you don't have to pay, but otherwise you have to pay to play... :(

TheodenofRohan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 TheodenofRohan
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts

[QUOTE="sourcerah"][QUOTE="k2theswiss"]if you work is 50 bucks that much? for a whole year? like come on person on min wadge can make 50 bucks easy in a day of work. 2 50 bucks for a year is not much if u can afford all the 3 systems like come on k2theswiss

lol i never struggle in life lol thats funny. Live in small house, only time i ever get a dime from my mom is my b-day and xmas and thats 100 bucks and if i'm lucky 150. if i want anything else i must work for it.... Payed for driving school, pretty much every kid i know at school their stupid parents paid for, my 1300 dollar 1996 car, my xbox, my laptop, pay half of the internet bill every month, and soon have to start paying for school next year... gov paying 3/4's of the bill but 1600 a semaster.... From all that i still think xbox live is pretty cheap for a year so ya i must not struggle huh?

Oddly same here, only cents I see from my parents is on Xmas an my Bday as well, everything I have I worked for, yet I find time to pay for a online service too :D

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sourcerah

You can just wait until it is on sale. I got two 13 months of xbox live for $60(US).

craigalan23
Thank you for not bashing us "cheapskates"! Well, I do have a gold membership, but I am not happy at all about the price of it. Nor do I defend paying it like some of the others on this site. My only problem is that I love demolishing people around the country that I don't know in a game I love, too effin much!! I have heard of finding them on sale @ certain stores (like target or walmart) but I never see them when I go. $30 is still too much but it is more reasonable. Am i the only one that finds it ridiculous that I pay almost 2-3 times as much just to play online against people on xbox 360 than I do to have internet access by verizon?
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11941 Posts

Sorry, youu gotta pay M$ for the right to play.

It's worth it in my opinion.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BLAS1AN

[QUOTE="sourcerah"][QUOTE="k2theswiss"]if you work is 50 bucks that much? for a whole year? like come on person on min wadge can make 50 bucks easy in a day of work. 2 50 bucks for a year is not much if u can afford all the 3 systems like come on jameeler91

Agreed. Im not even that old but I do work.I know how it is to have my own money in my posession, even though I still do live at home w/ my fam. The money you do pay for Live is obviously not used to fix servers.The least M$ could do is do that. Either that or reduce the yearly cost, causeat this ratethey're just milking their customers dry.

There are people that make it possible for console gamers to unite and play games online. I have no problem paying for this quality service then what Nintendo provides for online gaming

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sourcerah

[QUOTE="sourcerah"][QUOTE="k2theswiss"]if you work is 50 bucks that much? for a whole year? like come on person on min wadge can make 50 bucks easy in a day of work. 2 50 bucks for a year is not much if u can afford all the 3 systems like come on k2theswiss

You missed the key word "MOST"... I was not talking about everyone, but as you know from your classmates, there is a lot of people who are supported by their parents who think that xbox live is cheap. Also, judging by the amount of times you edited your post, the word "most" wasn't the only thing you missed
daprofesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 daprofesa
Member since 2005 • 1030 Posts

If you have a game lying around with a 48-hour xbl gold trial then use that to see if you like live or not; if you like then go a head and spend your money

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

I believe there are a few options w/ using a computer, and some programs that'll make your 360 think it's playing a lan match, but last time I checked it out it was really crappy.

Also I believe that a lot of people have the same arguement for XBL that I do against WOW, and that is there's no price point for casual players. WOW is $15 a month which is a fair price if you play 20+ hours a week, but I'd probably only play WOW 3 hours a month, and I might take a few months off. XBL is the same way, if you play 30 hours a month, $3 isn't a bad price, but if you only play a few hours a month (or not at all) $3 is kinda expensive.

That's where XBL needs a pricing plan for more casual gamers. I think something like .25 cents an hour would be reasonable.

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sourcerah

[QUOTE="sourcerah"][QUOTE="k2theswiss"]if you work is 50 bucks that much? for a whole year? like come on person on min wadge can make 50 bucks easy in a day of work. 2 50 bucks for a year is not much if u can afford all the 3 systems like come on Avenger1324

Look it's really very simple - you don't want to pay the fee then don't play online. If you do want to play online, pay the fee and quit moaning about it.

Xbox Live offers abetter service than either PSN or Wii online, and MS decided to charge for it. No amount of moaning or putting "Make Xbox Live free" in your motto will make any difference. Anyway if you live in the US be grateful that you already pay less for Live than any other country.

For the original poster - you don't have to buy a full year of Live. If you only want to play online occasionally you can buy it 1 month at a time, or 3 month cards from stores. They cost a bit more per month than buying a 12 month card, but if you aren't going to use it much, it could work out better for you. If you look on ebay you can find people that email the codes and you can get your year for under 30 quid.

I wasn't moaning. It's called stating an opinion. Where did I say anything about "making xbox live free"?? Avenger1324 you do know that reading is fundamental, right? ok, then. FYI: I do live in America and it should be less expensive here since microsofty (grammar police, i spelled it wrong purposely) is an American company
Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts

Yes because the live is where you start being cheap, just pay for 12 months + 1 free month, then pay again

RimeSoldier
Isn't it Microsoft who's being the cheap one?
sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sourcerah
[QUOTE="Bumzur"][QUOTE="RimeSoldier"]

Thank You, Bumzur!! I guess it's only a small percentage of us that really gets it
xscott1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xscott1018
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
yes, u have to pay to play online. i'm not paying for it anymore because i haven't played a game online in a long time.
jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

ive found 12 monthxbox live cardson the internet for under $40.

frob1965

13 months for 39$ is the best deal ive found. thats 3$ a month. my change jar will pay for it. and its much better than ps3's online because of the headsets and the party function. its much easier to get messages and join your friends games that it is on the ps3.

spendinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 spendinbig
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts
Even if you don't really use it it's only $5 a month. You probably waste money other places every month anyway ie. coffee, smoking and alcohol.
zacroxs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 zacroxs
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts

It's not that expensive and it sure beats playing by yourself.

GiveMeIce

beats playing WITH yourself :p sorry lil random

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="Bumzur"][QUOTE="RimeSoldier"]

sourcerah

Thank You, Bumzur!! I guess it's only a small percentage of us that really gets it

uhuh so what about microsofts huge financial loss over the past year? do u understand that? dont be so condescending when stating an 'opinion' which you make out as fact. and no the PS3 online is not free, nothing ever is, instead of you paying for it, the devs do*. it costs money to run the servers and once the devs dont feel like paying for it anymore, its gone, thus games will last forever on xbox live as long as people are willing to play.
it costs around $1 per week (just about, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) for xbox live, thats about 10 minutes of work on almost minimum pay.
and are you also one of the small percentage that also gets that MS loses money every time they sell a 360? sure its getting cheaper now, but they lost millions when it first came out, and thus loses are being funded through xbox live, accessories and game sales. so no, MS isnt cheap, you are.

*http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/03/23/sony-ps3-charging-developers-for-online-content-%E2%80%93-xbox-live-wins/ (for some reason i cant hyperlink this page)

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

The only game I know of that you can play with silver is Phantasy Star Universe. But then you need to pay Sega $10 a month to play it. So Nothing really.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

[QUOTE="kboone13"]It's not being cheap, its called "I already paid for the game, system, and the internet connection(possibly even the ethernet cable or WiFi port)! Should I also have to pay to play with what I've already paid for!?!?!"sourcerah

I'm guessing that you're probably around 17 or so, still live with your parents,and have finally gotten a job so you think you're suddenly an adult now? Or am I just way over-analyzing? hint hint

Really though, I'm sure that most avid game players will find the money spent well worth it, regardless of your economic situation. Its about the equivalent of buying one fast-food meal a month,which is hardly the kind of expense that we cant justify every once in a while.

For those who have a stricter monthly budget, you can plop down $15 or $20(forget which) for 3 months of XboxLive Gold. It turns out to be a bit more over the year, but again, you're still only really paying $5 or $6 a month.

So really, unless you've got serious money issues, I dont see the big deal. And if money is THAT tight, you probably shouldn't be sitting around playing video games in the first place.

Ryuketsu2043

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ryuketsu2043
Member since 2004 • 1899 Posts
[QUOTE="spongey_m"]

Hi All,

Cheers!

Yes wii and ps3 is free but there servers are crap and not NEARLY as populated as xbox user base games. It is well well well worth it
salohcinborje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 salohcinborje
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts

Just got a Messenger Gold Kit for 54.00 at Wal-Mart.

Seems worth it to me.

MegamanX97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 MegamanX97
Member since 2003 • 1319 Posts

well, just think of it as buying yourself a game. You probably don't debate on spending the money on a certain game, so buying xbox live can be looked at as being the same. I have ps3, wii and Xbox 360. If i had to choose one system to play online i would still choose xbox even though you have to pay. The set up is a lot easier to join games with friends and to start voice chats. It is really well developed.

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

Im my days of playing on Xbox Live sinse the Original xbox and paying for it I have yet to run into a Cheater because of the Security and server handling MS has done with live that has made playing online Fun and overall very enjoyable, Im online all the time.

I havn't played my PS3 online until Recently with Killzone 2 which is amazing online, but I avoid the PS3 online like a Plague just because of my experience with the PS2. No game was ever fun on PS2 online, Socom was overrun with gameshark cheaters weeks after each release which just made me stick to Xbox because its superior.

My Complaint about the PS3 online though is the Following from my last couple weeks on Killzone 2:

Voice is Optional!

This alone ruins it. EVERYONE TALKS ON XBOX

in 2 weeks with Killzone I have not heard 1 person trying to plot out strategy with the Team in order to succeed, infact almost no one has a mic. What the hell!? This alone is reason enough to to just play on XBL, The Sad thing though is that Killzone Online is actually FANTASTIC, If people talked it would be even better. And whenever I try to tell people to Squad up and Split objectives and do some strategy I get told to shut up by most of those who do have a mic.

Meanwhile in any game I play on Xbox, The Team talks and works together to win on probably 80-90% of matches I play in, so much more interactive and enjoyable.

So, You tell me. What sounds better?

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I have responsibilities that are more important than gaming, but when I do game online, I want it to be quality. I have no time and little tolerance for anything less than a seamless, consistent experience. Xbox Live gives me that. It comes with a fee, but is well worth it considering the convenience and features it brings to the table.

And seriously, if $50 USD/year is going to make or break you, maybe gaming isn't a hobby for you. However, you have all the consoles and handhelds, so there shouldn't be a problem.

b1lal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 b1lal
Member since 2007 • 1122 Posts
I refuse to pay to play online.
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
Yes you do have to pay to play as you've put it but atm it cost $40 at any normal retail store in US, so it should be 30 or less pounds for a year subscription over there.
sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sourcerah

[QUOTE="sourcerah"][QUOTE="kboone13"]It's not being cheap, its called "I already paid for the game, system, and the internet connection(possibly even the ethernet cable or WiFi port)! Should I also have to pay to play with what I've already paid for!?!?!"TheodenofRohan

I pay bills, CC, Car Insurance, health insurance, house payments, internet, ect list goes on yet 39.99 a year doesnt break me... sounds like someone needs to micro manage their funds better if 40 bucks breaks you for a year.. An I live on my own so "mommy and daddy" dont help, its called being smart on my finances.. hell save 5 bucks a check if your that strapped, an guess what 39.99 comes very fast sigh

Hey you could play on sony's servers an pay nothin yet get FEW updates and patches.... Lets weigh the options shall we?

2. pay nonething and play on servers that drop players from sheer fact that the connection line gets bogged up...

You see? Actually paying for something to be kept up to par or better because they can pay their techs to do what they are supposed to do..

Dont get me wrong i have PS3 too but the major flaw is they dont have regular maintence on their service an 90% of games that utilize mics, are supported well for whatever reason.. X360 has the advantage here, mics are used and they have minimal probs

Who said that $50 is breaking me? Where did you read that. READING IS FUNDAMENTAL YOU KNOW. Just because I can afford to pay for something doesn't mean I want to nor does it mean it's worth it. 1. How do you know how often the servers are maintained. Where are your sources? Where is the proof? Do you believe it just because microsoft said so? 2. so are you saying you never been dropped from a game on xbox live? I hear constant complaints about lag and not being able to connect all the time on this site. No I DON'T see what you're talking about. You didn't give any facts or numbers. Just vague statements. Nice try, good effort, though. But one question, if things were done right the first time, why would we need so many constant paches and updates?? Why would I want to pay for something that should have been done correctly the first time
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

[QUOTE="kboone13"]

It's not being cheap, its called "I already paid for the game, system, and the internet connection(possibly even the ethernet cable or WiFi port)! Should I also have to pay to play with what I've already paid for!?!?!"

sourcerah

Now, if you object to paying for Xbox Live out of principle, that's fine, but to describe the price of the service as you are is a little silly. I'm a working professional, and I am paying bills. You say that that $50 can go to other expenses? What other expenses? What is $50 a year going to buy? I pay double that on magazine subscriptions. I spend an order of magnitude more than that on my ****ing cell phone. Fifty dollars, when measured over the course of the year, is completely insignificant to a person who has the spare income to afford a $400 console and $60 games.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BLAS1AN

[QUOTE="TheodenofRohan"]

[QUOTE="sourcerah"] Thank You kboone13!! I really don't see how people are saying it's being cheap. For those who are saying that, are you paying any bills? Mortgage, rent, car notes, water, lights, cell phone, anything?? If so, how can you say such a thing, especially in this economy. That $50 can go to other expenses. But i bet most of you all have mommy and daddy pay for it, so i guess it really isn't cheap, is it? sourcerah

Who said that $50 is breaking me? Where did you read that. READING IS FUNDAMENTAL YOU KNOW. Just because I can afford to pay for something doesn't mean I want to nor does it mean it's worth it. 1. How do you know how often the servers are maintained. Where are your sources? Where is the proof? Do you believe it just because microsoft said so? 2. so are you saying you never been dropped from a game on xbox live? I hear constant complaints about lag and not being able to connect all the time on this site. No I DON'T see what you're talking about. You didn't give any facts or numbers. Just vague statements. Nice try, good effort, though. But one question, if things were done right the first time, why would we need so many constant paches and updates?? Why would I want to pay for something that should have been done correctly the first time

as an XBOX LIVE player myself i can tell you that from time to tme the LIVE service is shut down for a few hours and maintenenced as described in the messages. yes there is lag from time to time but I can honesty say I have had way more perfectly run matches to make lag a big issue. You can try the service on a monthly bases and cancel it if your not happy.