xbox live - do i really have to pay to play!?

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts
Heres how to pay for xbl: Step 1: buy a loaf of bread, some jelly, and some peanut butter once a month Step 2: make yourself sandwiches until that loaf of bread is gone Step 3: Kiss that money you just saved buh bye and sit on your couch and play xbox for a few hours
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Cheap bread. If you like the whole grain bread, you'll just have to settle for it and butter.

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts

I guess it also depends on the type of fastfood (getting a baconator+frosty+large drink+large fries compared to a double stack meal... Wendy's example, just saw a commercial for it) and they type of sandwich ingredients, BUT the point of that is simple (though I'm sure you understood it): it's very easy to do something rather small to save 5 dollars a month (saving that much even would be a too much for XBL), but to say that its a significant amount is just stupid.

Now, about the principle of it, sure it may be wrong that MS charges a whole $50 a year for a service when we don't know how that money is allocated, or even what the costs of the service is for them, but we do live in a capitalist (thankfully not pure) country, so companies look for ways that they can save (or make) money, and, for MS, this is one of those ways, and bickering about it is only a waste of your time (which you could use to make $50), which could be used getting your money's worth, or (if you do this at your job) be used to be a more productive member of society.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="sourcerah"]it is irrelevant b/c nobody pays per day. It would be relevant if a daily fee existed, but it doesn't. Please tell me the relevance in a payment method or rate that NOBODY can use. sourcerah

It works out to thesame amount of money, thats why. Just puts it into a different perspective.

it obviously works out to the same amount of money mathematically, but you're forgetting an important factor called time. You see, that's why things like interest rates exist. Because of a factor called time. That is why, mathematically, in the long run, it is less expensive to pay for a year of xbox live @ $50 than to pay $7.99 (the monthly rate) 12 times a year. You see, b/c of a factor called time, the rate changes depending on how long you subscribe to live. Therefore, that part of the argument is still irrelevant, unless you live in a world without time

Paying $50 a year is the EQUIVALENT of paying 15 cents a day. Thats it. No one said that you'll actuallybe physically paying 15 centsa day.I mean, its equally relevant to say that paying the monthly fee instead will end up costing you theEQUIVALENT of 26 cents per day.

It puts the fee in a different perspective, therefore its relevant.

You simply dont like the argument because it shows just how cheap it actually is and itdoesn't support your view, so you're trying to dismiss the argument withsome desparate and franklylaughable reasoning, so I'm really not gonna waste anymore time arguing with you about it. Good night.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Palantas

Ooo, or you could buy a collection of soggy little tacos or soggy little burgers, from Taco Bell and White Castle respectively.

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#106 sourcerah
Member since 2003 • 1214 Posts
[QUOTE="Palantas"]

[QUOTE="sourcerah"]

...what doesn't make sense is you assuming that everyone is in the same financial situation as yourself...you are assuming that everyone buys their own console and games. There are things called presents you know. What makes you think everyone who is playing xbox paid $400 for the console and $60/game. And what makes you think everyone is buying them at retail price?

The only person this could possibly apply to is children whose folks get them the system and the games, but won't get them the online service. When you're 10, $5 a month might actually be a sizeable amount of your income.

Of course, that's not to whom you were referring. You specifically brought up the economy, and talked about having to pay bills. If someone lives on their own and has a job, any job, then they can effortlessly afford $5 a month. Considering that most people in low paying temp and retail jobs spend significantly more than $5 per day on food, if $5 per month actually makes some sort of difference in your budget, then you probably have much greater concerns than playing games online.

[QUOTE="sourcerah"]

You are also quoted as saying "it's so cheap, that i don't give a ****" Which may be fine for you, but not everyone else. It's quite humorous how people defend themselves by using their own financail situations as examples...

I'm using the financial situation of anyone who lives and works in First World country. I'm a working professional, but even when I worked a part-time job in high school, five bucks a month was insignificant. It's fine if you're annoyed by the principle of the thing, but you took it beyond that, to suggest that paying for Xbox Live is taking money away from your bills. Only an inveterate penny pincher would fret over $5 a month, and someone who does probably leads an exceedingly frugal lifesty|e.

[QUOTE="sourcerah"]

If you're not trying to justify the fee, then exactly what have you been doing in your last few post in this thread.

I've been stating that raising financial objections to $5 a month is silly. "Xbox Live is not worth $5 a month" is a valid argument, or at least one that can be debated. "Xbox Live is taking money away from my bills" is not an argument, or certainly not one that a reasonable person is going to take seriously. While you may feel that the service is overpriced, it's patently absurd to complain about the opportunity cost of it. You can't buy jack **** with 17 cents per day.

[QUOTE="sourcerah"]

FYI, I didn't jump all over anyone, I just used a certain set of words to tell the person to READ (with understanding) what I wrote before he tries to quote me.

You said exactly what you could without risking moderation, much as I did to someone else in this thread. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I commend your restraint, and suggest that you continue exercising it in order to avoid administrative punishment on this site.

ok, let me clarify myself. I never said "it's taking away from my bills". I just said that it could be used for some other expenses. Those could be expenses from leisure/personal activities or actuall bills. I can afford LIVE, the price will not break me. But that still does not mean i don't mind paying the $50. Yes, I do believe it's overpriced. Why? Because I nor does anyone else on this thread know how that money is being dispersed. Personally, I don't think it costs that much. I have not heard anything from m$ that would make me think otherwise. And if you're a working professional you should know better than to use that "17 cents per day" example. YOU ARE FORGETTING TO FACTOR IN TIME!! Time is an important factor in the world of business. On a side note: You are absoultely right in your last pararaph. I actually lol because that is exactly what i was doing. lol. Yes, I was saying what I could without being moderated. so, yes, i know exactly what you're talking about. And also, thanks for not becoming a grammar police officer, as I do not use spellcheck nor proofread my posts on gamespot. The grammar police on here are sooo annoying. I wonder if they do that when their friends send text msg's to them. Well, knowing that they do that on a videogame site forum they probably don't have many friends to receive texts from. Well, let me digress... My concern is not that I can't afford it. It's that I do not know how my money is being used. It's as if they're like here's the price it's supposed to be and I'm just supposed to accept it. There is no way to benchmark the price, which also make me a little upset. Like I said earlier in a post, if the fee was $75, a majority of you all would be saying the same thing. Nobody has a clue of what's a reasonable price. You can take a video game or even a home console and look at all the factors it takes to produce and market the game/system and come up with a reasonable price. Can't do that with this. If the price was reasonable I think m$ would include that in their arugument about why paying for live is justifiable. But they NEVER mention what parts of that fee go where. That makes them suspect. You all may not agree, but I hope you can at least see where I am coming from.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Palantas

...My concern is not that I can't afford it. It's that I do not know how my money is being used...

sourcerah

I think we've wrapped things up here on the main point. When it comes to value, you can feel that 10 cents per month is overpriced for something, though again, opportunity cost is a non-factor in small figures.

Here's an outlier:

And if you're a working professional you should know better than to use that "17 cents per day" example. YOU ARE FORGETTING TO FACTOR IN TIME!! Time is an important factor in the world of business.

sourcerah

Yeah, for stuff like having too much money taken out on your tax return, where we're talking about thousands of dollars. Again, in our example here, it's $50 a year (assuming one does not pay monthly). What's prime interest on $50, minus the $4 per month? Again, it's jack ****.

On a side note: You are absoultely right in your last pararaph.

sourcerah

There's definitely an art to posting here.

And also, thanks for not becoming a grammar police officer, as I do not use spellcheck nor proofread my posts on gamespot. The grammar police on here are sooo annoying.

sourcerah

Grammar police are jackasses. As long as it's readable, who ****ing cares? I'd certainly never pick on someone's grammar in a debate, as that opens me to just accusations of throwing red herrings.

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 sourcerah
[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="sourcerah"][QUOTE="seankane"]

It works out to thesame amount of money, thats why. Just puts it into a different perspective.

it obviously works out to the same amount of money mathematically, but you're forgetting an important factor called time. You see, that's why things like interest rates exist. Because of a factor called time. That is why, mathematically, in the long run, it is less expensive to pay for a year of xbox live @ $50 than to pay $7.99 (the monthly rate) 12 times a year. You see, b/c of a factor called time, the rate changes depending on how long you subscribe to live. Therefore, that part of the argument is still irrelevant, unless you live in a world without time

Paying $50 a year is the EQUIVALENT of paying 15 cents a day. Thats it. No one said that you'll actuallybe physically paying 15 centsa day.I mean, its equally relevant to say that paying the monthly fee instead will end up costing you theEQUIVALENT of 26 cents per day.

It puts the fee in a different perspective, therefore its relevant.

You simply dont like the argument because it shows just how cheap it actually is and itdoesn't support your view, so you're trying to dismiss the argument withsome desparate and franklylaughable reasoning, so I'm really not gonna waste anymore time arguing with you about it. Good night.

yes, mathematically they are equivalent. But you are not factoring in time. Time is an important aspect in the world of business. You keep on saying it's 15 cents a day, its 15 cents a day, but it's not. It's a $50 payment made at one time. Not 365 times. Maybe because I majored in business administration I look @ it a little differently. But to invalidate your argument, when the ps3 was released, it was approx. $600. Many people felt that was way too expensive. But using your logic, all someone had to say is that its $1.65 a day if you want to pay that off in a year. According to you, that should be "cheap" for a brand new home console with a blu-ray. Or $12 a week or $46 a month... That doesn't change the price nor make it any less inexpensive because you are paying it all at once. You are not paying the $1.65 a day or $12 a week, you are paying the entire $600 at once. If you use a credit card you're paying more if interest is added. Without factoring in time, that "15 cents a day" statement is irrelevant. Why do you think they charge more "per day" for a monthly subscription than a yearly? Because of TIME. They give us a monetary incentive to pay more money, faster. It's all about time. One more thing, how far in school did you go in math? Because you said, "You simply dont like the argument because it shows just how cheap it actually is". YOU'RE USING DIVISION, OF COURSE IT'S GONNA MAKE IT LOOK CHEAPER.
xXmeatwad225Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 xXmeatwad225Xx
Member since 2006 • 1553 Posts
unfortunately, you have to pay to play against people online. Sucks, doesn't it?sourcerah
No, No it dose not.
kboone13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 kboone13
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="kboone13"]It's not being cheap, its called "I already paid for the game, system, and the internet connection(possibly even the ethernet cable or WiFi port)! Should I also have to pay to play with what I've already paid for!?!?!"sourcerah
Thank You kboone13!! I really don't see how people are saying it's being cheap. For those who are saying that, are you paying any bills? Mortgage, rent, car notes, water, lights, cell phone, anything?? If so, how can you say such a thing, especially in this economy. That $50 can go to other expenses. But i bet most of you all have mommy and daddy pay for it, so i guess it really isn't cheap, is it?

Yes! And not to mention, if they want to compete with the Sony PS3, charging for LIVE is not the way to go.
dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 dirtydishko2
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts

[QUOTE="seankane"]

Well I've shown that the fee is not unjustified just because Sony offersthe servicefor free. The car dealership comparison is the perfect example. Its plain flawed reasoning.

Basically, we're getting a service provided to us and it obviously costs a good deal of money for them to give us that service. The fact that you're going to use the argument that you dont know the specifics of their spendingshows you're just grasping at straws.

Obviously, its not going to come out to an equal number and there will be profit in there for Microsoft somewhere. Thats to be expected.Very, very, veryrarely is anything we buy actually worth the exactamount we pay for it. And this is where themeasly$5 a month argument becomes valid. We are paying a very small amount for a service that many of us are going to use quite extensively and that makes sense to us.

As for your last paragraph, the originality of their ideas is hardly relevant to the discussion. I could go on about how many of Microsoft's ideas certainly aren't mere ripoffs, but that would take us off-topic.

seankane

[QUOTE="dirtydishko2"]While my last paragraph COULD be the topic of another discussion it is without a doubt relevant to this discussion as well. The very fact that Microsoft obviously isn't spending lots of money/effort on maintaining and updating the Xbox Live / Marketplace interface further goes to show that our $50 yearly fees aren't going towards a whole lot. seankane

The originality of ideas has nothing to do with how much they're spending on maintaining and updating XboxLive. Thats seriously the weakest argument I've heard yet.

Anyways, by the fact that you've ignored the rest of my post, I think my fears that you were trying to deflect the topic is somewhat warranted, and I'm not gonna keep talking about this asinine suggestion anymore.

I'm kind of appalled at the misplaced arrogance you seem to have about what you seem to think is some God-like ability to create infallibly logical arguments.

Where do I begin in responding. First of all, it's very easy to understand that my mentioning the poor quality of the NXE is relevant here and not part of my great plot to subvert the topic of this thread:

1. Microsoft has stated that the Live fees are justifiable because they go towards the creation and maintanence of the Marketplace feature.

2. We have not seen any great updates with regards to this feature which would require constant money, but rather a one time update which was shallow and unimpressive.

3. You cannot deny that large experienced corporations have the ability to engender talented creative work by giving a certain program money and effort and time.

4. It seems then that Microsoft is not trying very hard (spending lots of money or time) on certain Live features such as the Marketplace.

That wraps that up.

Secondly, where do you get off assuming that "it obviously costs Microsoft a good deal of money to provide us this service"? On what information are you basing this assumption.

Third, you also assume that there is no way to even determine how much money Microsoft spends on maintaining Live by saying "obviously it will not come out to an even number". You seem to like using the word "obviously" in order to make what you say seem more believable. Corporations like Microsoft have teams of accountants whose only job is to determine exactly how money is being spent in order to present shareholders with annual financial reports and such. The information must be out there somewhere.

stinky_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#112 stinky_bomb
Member since 2006 • 488 Posts
I have both ps3 and 360 and the online for 360 is worth the money trust me
katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts

OMFG....If you don't feel like paying 50 a year...then don't it's that simple... Thats why I buy the 50 dollar prepaid cards so then you can just go buy one whenever you feel like after gold expires...holy Jesus.

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 sourcerah

dirtydishko2: Secondly, where do you get off assuming that "it obviously costs Microsoft a good deal of money to provide us this service"? On what information are you basing this assumption

You know, I was wondering the same thing... I also agree with your second to last sentence about the accountants. It's as if these people forget accountants even exists. As if m$ doesn't know where every penny of the $50 fee we pay for live goes. Or maybe they're just being naive...

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#115 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
You can look at it like this to help justify you spending money. I believe it's like $50 to get 12 months + 1 free month, so 13 months overall. That's a little less than $4 dollars a month. Now think of everything useless you buy throughout the month, like a soda at the supermarket or some candy bars or unnecessarily expensive lunches at work. Now just don't buy $4 worth of stuff you normally get throughout the month and instead put that towards XBL. There, now you can game online and live a happier life. Enjoy!
nissanmaxima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 nissanmaxima
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts

omg. why not pay for online. if you fat slobs stop going to mcdonalds, burger king, wendys. put back those 4 cases of beer. stop going to the abc store. quit smoking you only killing your self. live dont kill ya. you have the money to pay for live. on saturday dont go out to eat at that expensive restaurant and you will have the money to pay for live for one year easily. you people trip me out with your dumb butt complaints. gripping about nothing. bunch of cheap fools not enjoying there investment.

rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#117 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

You get what you pay for, plain and simple. Sure, you can play online on the PS3 and Wii for free but look at what you are getting. Xbox Live is superior in every aspect.

Avatar image for SpartasFinest22
SpartasFinest22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 SpartasFinest22
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

1. Microsoft has stated that the Live fees are justifiable because they go towards the creation and maintanence of the Marketplace feature.

2. We have not seen any great updates with regards to this feature which would require constant money, but rather a one time update which was shallow and unimpressive.

Listen there have been huge improvments to XBL as a whole. They completly changed the entire dashboard, friends list, marketplace, and party system. On a side note: IMO the xbl fee goes to getting there customers EXCLUSIVES! Xbox has the largest list of EXCLUSIVE games. Microsoft obviously has to pay developers for this. But the exclusives do not stop there Most xbox games also have EXCLUSIVE DLC. ( Such as Fallout 3) Also regarding the so called lag issues. Most Lag tends to come from your own connection. Or if the host of that match is lagging you will all lag. (Which is why when they lag out the connection fixes itself) Anyway this whole arrgument is pointless it is a very small fee. That must be paid to enjoy the best online experiences.

dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 dirtydishko2
[QUOTE="SpartasFinest22"]

Listen there have been huge improvments to XBL as a whole. They completly changed the entire dashboard, friends list, marketplace, and party system. On a side note: IMO the xbl fee goes to getting there customers EXCLUSIVES! Xbox has the largest list of EXCLUSIVE games. Microsoft obviously has to pay developers for this. But the exclusives do not stop there Most xbox games also have EXCLUSIVE DLC. ( Such as Fallout 3) Also regarding the so called lag issues. Most Lag tends to come from your own connection. Or if the host of that match is lagging you will all lag. (Which is why when they lag out the connection fixes itself) Anyway this whole arrgument is pointless it is a very small fee. That must be paid to enjoy the best online experiences.

Fallout 3 DLC is coming to PS3. PSN also has 'exclusives'
Avatar image for SpartasFinest22
SpartasFinest22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 SpartasFinest22
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

[QUOTE="SpartasFinest22"]

dirtydishko2

Fallout 3 DLC is coming to PS3. PSN also has 'exclusives'

Your right, but the key word is coming. And they are not coming until July (I think)

I never said that PS3 didnt have exclusives. I was just stating my opinon that Xbox uses the money for live to secure its own exclusives.

PS3 could get the funds for there exclusives from console sales alone since they charge around $500 ( im not sure if that is the exact price)

However PS3 has less exclusives which could be because they just do not have the income to afford them.

dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 dirtydishko2
PS3 is $400. PS3 has Resistance, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet, more. Why on earth would you assume that money from Live subscription fees goes to securing exclusives.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#122 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@reanor2:But my question is, what makes you think that all of that is worth $50 per year? How do you know that $20 wouldn't get the job done with a great amount of profit for the companies? That's been my point since earlier on in this thread, none of you know how the money is dispersed. They could've charged $75 a year from the consoles launch date and you people would be saying the same exact thing. You have no clue of what it costs to do all of that in relation to how much they actually take in.

sourcerah

and so u do know how its being used? this works both ways chief...

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 chaoscougar1

dirtydishko2: Secondly, where do you get off assuming that "it obviously costs Microsoft a good deal of money to provide us this service"? On what information are you basing this assumption

You know, I was wondering the same thing... I also agree with your second to last sentence about the accountants. It's as if these people forget accountants even exists. As if m$ doesn't know where every penny of the $50 fee we pay for live goes. Or maybe they're just being naive...

sourcerah
and where are u basing your assumption on that it costs next to nothing to run? have u personally read their financial statement? doubt it...u cant back up your arguments with something u know nothing about
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 chaoscougar1

@chaoscougar1:

What do you mean what about "microsofts huge financial loss over the past year"? What does that have to do with ANYTHING? If they had a huge financial gain, would they bring the price of live down considerably. No. Plus they have been charging for live since the 360 came out. What does a finacial loss or gain have to do with this discussion? Where can you show that their net profits/loss impacts or effects the cost of live? Until you do so, that statement is invalid and irrelevant. Which opinion did I make out as a fact? Are you reading my posts with understanding?? No. The PSN may not be free to everyone but it is free to us. AND WE ARE ONLY TALKING ABOUT US, RIGHT? Unless you know someone on here who is a developer. Are you a developer or the TC or anyone who has posted on this thread? No, so that makes a second invalid and irrelevant point in your post. Thirdly, that's microsofts fault for losing money everythime they sell a 360. Do you think we are supposed to help them break even? Again, what does this have to do with the topic? How does make us cheap and not microsoft? What did you say in your post to validate this?

sourcerah

well seeing as u majored in business admin id assume you would know why i brought those up.

1-your kidding right? what does their financial year have to do with anything? for goodness sake, to put it simply it recognises revenue-expenses, thus if they posted a loss it means expenses outweighed revenue. it also states that their 360 division LOST $31M so by that logic, their profit musnt have been too amazing for live if they still lost $31M. Even if lives profit was great, the division still made a loss, and as a business they aim to make a profit or minimise loss, if a large live fee increases revenue then so be it, thats what consumers are for, they supply a service for a price, the foundation of the economy

2-Do devs not play games anymore? is US just confined to the members of this board? i didnt know there was a universal division for the word 'us'. no its not irrelevant because devs pay for live too...

3- and ahahahahahahahaha 'do u think we are supposed to help them break even?' HOW ELSE WOULD THEY DO IT?? ahahahaha and yet u say you majored in business admin, where do u think revenue comes from exactly? does it just appear magically/grow on trees?

4-How do YOU know where they spend their money? you seem to be great at telling everyone else they have no clue, but u have none either

SYKLOPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 SYKLOPS
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts

Yes because the live is where you start being cheap, just pay for 12 months + 1 free month, then pay again

13 months is a very long time, so just get it...dont be cheap

RimeSoldier
It has nothing to do with being cheap. The point is that Xbox are the only ones charging to play online. Both of their competitors offer the same service for free. Let's say you wanted a new video game. You found out that one store was giving it away for free and another store is charging $60. Which one would you choose?
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="RimeSoldier"]

Yes because the live is where you start being cheap, just pay for 12 months + 1 free month, then pay again

SYKLOPS
It has nothing to do with being cheap. The point is that Xbox are the only ones charging to play online. Both of their competitors offer the same service for free. Let's say you wanted a new video game. You found out that one store was giving it away for free and another store is charging $60. Which one would you choose?

yeh, its free for the consumer, but its not 'free'. the devs have to pay for the costs, and they are gamers too, just like us
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

[QUOTE="RimeSoldier"]

SYKLOPS

Thats not a good example. Here's a better one:

You are looking to buy a car. One dealership offers free oil changes and inspections for life. But you find a better overall price for the car at another dealership that doesn't offer those free services.

Which one would you choose?

It seems some of you dont seem to understand that just because a competitor may offer a service for free doesn't mean that somebody who does charge for it is unjustified in doing so. Those dealerships who offer free oil changes and inspections are simply trying to undercut the competition, which means they make less money, but they get more customers. Its the same deal here. PSN isn't free to maintain, and as we know, Sony aren't exactly raking in the big ones, so they're purposefully taking a hit to keep their foothold in the console war.

The crux of the situation is that we will never know whether or not the fee isan exorbitant amount or not. A fee itself isn't unjustified at all, as it obviously does cost money to run XboxLive.

kylekatarn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 kylekatarn08
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

Its like just about anything else you get what you pay for... quality. PSN may be free but it dosen't have all the features or online community. XBL is worth every penny to me.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="SYKLOPS"][QUOTE="RimeSoldier"]

seankane

You are looking to buy a car. One dealership offers free oil changes and inspections for life. But you find a better overall price for the car at another dealership that doesn't offer those free services.

It seems some of you dont seem to understand that just because a competitor may offer a service for free doesn't mean that somebody who does charge for it is unjustified in doing so. Those dealerships who offer free oil changes and inspections are simply trying to undercut the competition, which means they make less money, but they get more customers. Its the same deal here. PSN isn't free to maintain, and as we know, Sony aren't exactly raking in the big ones, so they're purposefully taking a hit to keep their foothold in the console war.

The crux of the situation is that we will never know whether or not the fee isan exorbitant amount or not. A fee itself isn't unjustified at all, as it obviously does cost money to run XboxLive.

yay! signs of intelligence on this forum...why do people assume that just cause we as consumers dont pay its free? do people think PSN just simply happens at no cost? runs and pays for itself?
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

well said. what more do we need to say for you to try LIVE? you can try it for free for heavens sake. I have 48 hour trial card if you want it

gamer26690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 gamer26690
Member since 2004 • 715 Posts
why does everyone say xbox live has servers the server is normally a person in the game with you there is not one game i know of on xbox live that has dedicated servers provided by microsoft.
Hatefish2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Hatefish2
Member since 2006 • 1783 Posts

I can afford my fancy cars and my nice furnished houses, but dear god do NOT ask me to pay $50 a year!

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
its worth the money, but if you only want to play like 1 hour a week then maybe not.
ownzone55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 ownzone55
Member since 2007 • 557 Posts

I agree 50 bucks a year is a bargain. But if you look at this way your basicly just throwing money away. What exactly does microsoft do to make their online servive than wii's and ps3's. They don't make any improvements. Lucky for mircosoft ppl are beingareblind and beingripped off. The buyers are pretty dumb, why buy something when its free somewhere else.

Avatar image for Xxcaptaininsano
Xxcaptaininsano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Xxcaptaininsano
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts

Dont be cheap. would you rather play on psn... that sucks or spend $7 on a month card.

LordRazu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 LordRazu
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Its only 50 a year, Even someone with out a job can afford that a year.

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts

What exactly does microsoft do to make their online servive than wii's and ps3's. They don't make any improvements.ownzone55

Wow, wow, wow.

no improvements over Wii's online service??

Xbox 's online service is improoved in every way compared to wii on-line service .

IE : Lag vs. no lag

friend codes vs. gamertags

voice chat vs the pitiful friend code needing wii speak

full on-line experiance vs. a piece of garbage online experiance

and besides you can't play Halo 3 on Wii or PS3!!!

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#138 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

People will never understand the reasons why XBL costs per Year as much as you feel the need to explain it to them. It comes down to simple facts in the end.

Is the PS3 FUN to play online? Nope. Why? No one uses Voice Chat, Mostly because if everyone does the server lags out I learned recently, But imo its moreso because its Optional and Sony doesn't Provide you with a Mic. Dumbest mistake ever.

is Xbox 360 Fun to play Online? In Every Single Possible Way. Everyone Chats with eachother, In my years of using it sinse Xbox I have Lagged out maybe twice. They Provide you with a mic with every xbox, GENIUS!

Im not Trying to Bash the PS3, but its online is a joke, Even the PS3 boards on various sites are filled with complaints about its service and yet they all complain about xbox live costing money.

Bottom Line: MS Running the servers, Taking care of all the Bandwidth costs making sure everyone has an enjoyable lag free experience, and charging pennies a day for it. Millions of people in North Americaspend 10 bucks a day on COFFEE and snacks. Why is 14 cents aday expensive? Think what you want, but when your playing your PS3 or Wii and can;t find a good connection, Ill be on Live playing.

dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 dirtydishko2
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="sourcerah"]

and where are u basing your assumption on that it costs next to nothing to run? have u personally read their financial statement? doubt it...u cant back up your arguments with something u know nothing about

You're just putting words in my mouth. I never once said anything to the effect of "it costs next to nothing to run".
Neolapria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Neolapria
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

It sure beats playing by yourself, and 50$ for 13 months is a pretty good deal. I mean, Xbox Live should be free, but as long as Bill Gates owns microsoft, you can assure yourself you are going to continue paying.

ownzone55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 ownzone55
Member since 2007 • 557 Posts

I agree 360 has good service.

But later in the future competition is going to get tougher. Everybody is copying off each other and creating new ideas is going to make live free eventually. But i still feel like were all suckers for microsoft's fee.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I don't see why so many people complain about the price of XBL. It really isn't that expensive.

LordRazu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 LordRazu
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I don't see why so many people complain about the price of XBL. It really isn't that expensive.

OfficialBed

it seems those people dont work, or have a good paying job so every dollar may count,or they could be young kids. 0_0

Avatar image for Xxcaptaininsano
Xxcaptaininsano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Xxcaptaininsano
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts

ANYTHING FREE SUCKS

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
i just hate how we pay for 50 bucks a month for live when microsoft's support is complete crap i mean first off all they do is hire cheap foreign people that speak barely any English and are annoying to do with and when my 360 first rrod it was 1 DAY past it's warranty and they didn't do **** about it so i had to pay the warranty fee greed ba****** and a bunch of dbags on the phone unlike sony who actually have nice people that care so yes i hate m$ but i still play it even though steam/sony is WAY better than m$ and they are both free
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

Do you want good online service or crappy online service? C'mon, it really is not expensive at all. Stop complaining, I along with most are sick of seeing these repeated threads. Complaining on here won't do a thing anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#147 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

i dont really care i have to pay, it's worth it!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#148 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

Do you want good online service or crappy online service? C'mon, it really is not expensive at all. Stop complaining, I along with most are sick of seeing these repeated threads. Complaining on here won't do a thing anyways.

SouL-Tak3R

i agree

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="sourcerah"][QUOTE="k2theswiss"]if you work is 50 bucks that much? for a whole year? like come on person on min wadge can make 50 bucks easy in a day of work. 2 50 bucks for a year is not much if u can afford all the 3 systems like come on Avenger1324

if you work, no, $50 may not be that much. But when the competitors gives theirs away for free, not to mention that they have wifi built in, it seems a bit ridiculous. But seriously, how are you defending paying $50?I really can't understand how you people defend paying a fee. A fee that the competition doesn't have to pay. Everybody always talks about all the extras that comes with xbox live, but what if you don't want all that b.s... A lot of people just want to have the ability to play against/with other people online. THAT"S IT! No netflix or corny segments with Major Nelson. I'll admit I do like the demo's, but silver members only have to wait a week more to play. Is that supposed to be an incentive for gold members? It's sooo obvious some of you people have money to spend and throw away since your defending paying a fee that enables access to to play game that you already paid for on a system that you already paid for using internet access you already are paying for. I bet most of you never struggled a day in your life. Then what about the lag? Also, can someone explain exactly what they do with the $50 since it's obvious it's not used to fix the servers.

Look it's really very simple - you don't want to pay the fee then don't play online. If you do want to play online, pay the fee and quit moaning about it.

Xbox Live offers abetter service than either PSN or Wii online, and MS decided to charge for it. No amount of moaning or putting "Make Xbox Live free" in your motto will make any difference. Anyway if you live in the US be grateful that you already pay less for Live than any other country.

For the original poster - you don't have to buy a full year of Live. If you only want to play online occasionally you can buy it 1 month at a time, or 3 month cards from stores. They cost a bit more per month than buying a 12 month card, but if you aren't going to use it much, it could work out better for you. If you look on ebay you can find people that email the codes and you can get your year for under 30 quid.

as cheap as it is, with a ps3 sitting next to my 360, i just don't see a need to pay for it any more...
rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#150 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

i just hate how we pay for 50 bucks a month for live when microsoft's support is complete crap i mean first off all they do is hire cheap foreign people that speak barely any English and are annoying to do with and when my 360 first rrod it was 1 DAY past it's warranty and they didn't do **** about it so i had to pay the warranty fee greed ba****** and a bunch of dbags on the phone unlike sony who actually have nice people that care so yes i hate m$ but i still play it even though steam/sony is WAY better than m$ and they are both free XD4NTESINF3RNOX

If you are paying $50 a month for Xbox Live than you are doing something wrong.