The Official Zephyr / Elite (Xbox 360 Version 2) Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

Please refrain from posting your own thread about the much rumored and discussed Zephyr / Elite for the time being. The issue is that everyone wants to make a thread about the new system and rather than a forum for talking about all sorts of things involving the 360 the whole forum just becomes about the Zephyr. Thanks for your understanding.

Links to news articles about the Zephyr / Elite or whatever you want to call it:
Gamespot
Kotaku

Quck Stats (some confirmed, some not confirmed):

Word has it that the new system will have a 120GB hard drive and an HDMI video port, and will come in black (oooooh).

Rumored price, $479 (with HDMI cable).

Existing 360 owners will have the option to buy the 120GB hard drive for "under $200."

Let the discussion begin.

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
Thank you, guess you listen to the little people :lol:, personally, I'm fine with my 360, when i eventualy get a HDTV for my room, it probably will have a HDMI port, but 720p is enough for me, HD after all is HD, but i might buy the harddrive, heres hopes that if they do they bring out a 50 gig, since that'll be plenty big for me.
Shawn20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Shawn20
Member since 2003 • 452 Posts
I wont be getting it. The color and the hdmi is not worth another $500. The 360 is ahead right now. There's no need to come out with another one imo.
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
I really don't get it. If Microsoft really have created this "Zephyr" then why is it such a big secret? Why release a $400+ system and not say anything?
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
I really don't get it. If Microsoft really have created this "Zephyr" then why is it such a big secret? Why release a $400+ system and not say anything?AirGuitarist87
Yeah, it's what I've thought all along. MS would be quick to put a stop to the european launch of the PS3, but that's in a few days, so I'm not sure.
kintzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kintzer
Member since 2003 • 806 Posts
As to why it has not been announced, my guess is that MS would want to sell as much of their remaining stock of premium consoles as possible.  If they announce the Zephyr too ahead of its release, 360 sales would just stop for a time being.  As a business, it would be better to announce the release close in time to the actual release.
Benjef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Benjef
Member since 2006 • 173 Posts
Unless my 360 breaks, I might just buy the 120 GB thing depending on price.
minou12234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 minou12234
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts
I already have a 360 and I'm fine with mine for right now. But I dont know mabe if I give mine to someone else or something goes wrong with mine I might get this new one, just not to sure about it yet..
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I fine, don't need the HDD really.
Slaide69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Slaide69
Member since 2003 • 192 Posts
Anyone know if they changed the hardware inside?  My cousin and I were talking about this and he mentioned they might have added smaller components to fight the overheating problems.
axes03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 axes03
Member since 2005 • 4454 Posts
im fine with what i have, the white 360 looks pretty awesome, and i can always buy faceplates. The black somehow doesnt feel right on the 360. if it came out at launch, id probably buy it, every system i owned (psp,ps2,xbox,dslite) all are black, but looking at my 360........it looks mad awesome in the stylish white. the 120 gb hdd is the only thing that i might consider, but right now i dont need it, maybe in a couple of more years......
Ecko7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ecko7777
Member since 2003 • 39 Posts
Guess I can wait a month for the new 360 to come out.  The 120gb hd is what did it for me.  I want to have as much space as possible.  I know I will be able to fill it up pretty easily.
ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts
Im really annoyed with microsoft right now...I was the first one at the store i got it from  aside from the employees. Now they go and release this one which wont heat up as much has a bigger HDD and the HD DVD? Thats ridiculous it just shows they rushed this to try and get aead of competition...
Avatar image for LOSTinTheOffice
LOSTinTheOffice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LOSTinTheOffice
Member since 2005 • 206 Posts
According to GameInformer.com it's going to be called Xbox 360 Elite.
Ecko7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ecko7777
Member since 2003 • 39 Posts

Im really annoyed with microsoft right now...I was the first one at the store i got it from aside from the employees. Now they go and release this one which wont heat up as much has a bigger HDD and the HD DVD? Thats ridiculous it just shows they rushed this to try and get aead of competition...ArmoredAshes

This one does not have HD-DVD.  But also, did you really think Microsoft would of thought the 360 would of had so much heating problems?  That is probably the main reason they considered making a new one so they don't have to repair so many 360's. 

Avatar image for LOSTinTheOffice
LOSTinTheOffice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LOSTinTheOffice
Member since 2005 • 206 Posts
Actually here's the article: As reported in the April issue of Game Informer Magazine, Microsoft is preparing a new revision to the Xbox 360’s hardware. According to the source within the company, the new version is poised to take advantage of the console’s popularity as a media-delivery system. The revision will pack HDMI output and a 120 GB hard drive in a black case, and it includes an HDMI cable and black game controller. The system will not support HD-DVD playback, however, though owners can purchase an add-on HD-DVD drive for $199.99. If you already own an Xbox 360 and are drooling over all that hard-drive space, fear not. When the new system debuts at the end of April, the new drive will be available separately for less than $200. Since the issue went to press, some new developments have come to light. Engadget is reporting that the new system will be called the Xbox 360 Elite, and it will cost $479. The first run will be limited, and subsequent systems will revert to the traditional white case. Eventually, the Xbox Premium will be phased out in favor of the Elite, which could be as soon as this summer. We’ll keep you posted with more information as it becomes available.
Gator08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gator08
Member since 2006 • 1459 Posts
april fools
Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts
so is this for real i mean has it been confirmed by MS because a lot of pepole on the forums act like it has, and i think we should lock all those Zephyr topics, seriously its getting out of hand
Pakaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pakaru
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts
I could of sworn That I released a few tidbits of information on the Elite. Why do you get an 'official' thread, if you don't even have alot of info? Oh, If I was a mod...
zikeria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zikeria
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts
ummm....wtf!, there isn't a choice saying that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE ZEPHYR!
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
I'll either stick with what I got or buy the Zephyr I guess.
Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts
I could of sworn That I released a few tidbits of information on the Elite. Why do you get an 'official' thread, if you don't even have alot of info? Oh, If I was a mod...Pakaru
you got a way to go buddy
ajh127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ajh127
Member since 2006 • 68 Posts

I wouldn't mind the black controller to be sold seperately like the HDD(i definitely will be following up on that!)

Kill-U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kill-U
Member since 2006 • 167 Posts

to a person that requires low power glasses and sees clearly is what i caompare HD.  the regular tv is the person without glasses, can see well feels good about his vision dosnt care about 20-20 great game experience.  To the HD tvs, the person put his glasses on and can see 20-20 vision, its a lot clearer he can see well but the game experience is the same. So the difference is clearer. you can also compare HD to normal like the playstation 2 and the xbox 1 which is stretching it a lot.

tyler2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tyler2010
Member since 2005 • 3384 Posts
I'm not sure if I'll keep mine or not, I need to play it and see how much better it is.
Pakaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pakaru

to a person that requires low power glasses and sees clearly is what i caompare HD.  the regular tv is the person without glasses, can see well feels good about his vision dosnt care about 20-20 great game experience.  To the HD tvs, the person put his glasses on and can see 20-20 vision, its a lot clearer he can see well but the game experience is the same. So the difference is clearer. you can also compare HD to normal like the playstation 2 and the xbox 1 which is stretching it a lot.

Kill-U

To me, I canb see the difference. Without my glasses the 1080p tv looks the same as 480p on an EDTv. With my glasses on though, I can see the huge difference. It is like putting those glasses on. =)

Pakaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pakaru
Also, If you look at my thread, you will see much more info. Including some pics of the equipment and the fact that for a limited time the black accessories will be sold.
Pakaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pakaru
Hey, Mr mod huy. Since my thread just got locked, you can use all the info I have. It should save you the time of typing it up yourself. I worked on the thread for several days now, so it might as well go to use.
Pakaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pakaru

Copy and paste this, if you want:

(the images above is of the original 360 dev kit, and from the GI article)

Alright, Ever since the PS3's release, people have been talking about the possiblity of a new version of the 360. Using several of my highly credited sources, including a member of Microsoft's PR team, I will tell you all I know so far.

Items with this symbol: (?) mean it is just a projection/suspected [meaning that microsoft would like to try and squeeze it in]

[x] = confirmed

Name: Xbox 360 ELITE/Black (Elite is more likely)

Release Date: Sometime Mid-April-Early May[x]

Price: $150 dollars cheaper than the high-end PS3; Around $480 USD[x]

Specs:

- Features all updated equipment from the 360 Platinum version(x)

-Full HDMI support[x]

-120GB hard drive[x]

-Jet Black in color[x]

-Chrome finish[x]

-Black 360 wireless controller[x]

-Quieter, More Efficient Cooling Fan[x]

-Wireless black Headset(?)

-Built in Wireless Adapter(?)

-The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand.

-The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.

-Elite will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.

-Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.

-It is unknown when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.

-Elite models run cooler and quieter than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.

-Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.

-The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled -- Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.

Don't trust me? Read up on this Here,SEVERAL DAYS *AFTER* I made this thread:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25459393

For those with the older versions of Xbox, The core will disappear, the Premium will become cheaper and a larger hard drive will be made available later this year for less than $200 USD

Now, Some of this stuff was pretty much suspected, but I can near promise everyone that this system will be out in Late April, Mid-May. Still, my information sources don't fully know all the aspects, so I shall keep this updated as I gather information.

Also, Halo 3's X button is a sprint, and the shield is just a special type of grenade. =)

More info will come out as I hear it.

iQuaKe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 iQuaKe
Member since 2006 • 216 Posts

I was not angered at hearing about the release of a new black 360 with bigger hard drive.  Instead, I got the idea to disassemble my 360 and spray it black myself using a vinyl paint.  It looks damn good for a self done paint job.  As for the bigger HD though, I will just have to wait and pick one up in the store.

ChevelleFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChevelleFan
Member since 2004 • 1783 Posts
I am so angry right now! Why you ask? Well I have gone through two defective 360s (they had hardware failures and was not user error), right now my "new" replacement unit is just a refurb that came with scratches and has a different and very noticeable light shade of grey on the plastic vent pieces on the top and bottom of the case instead of the usual dark and metalic grey on the hardrive, and not to mention it is extremely loud (louder than my two previous ones). I wanted HDMI and a bigger hardrive and if it was available before I bought my premium version I would have bought the elite. Now even if I do buy the elite version I have to somehow get rid of my old one and if I want to make my accessories match (which I do because I am picky that way) I have to buy a new wi-fi connector, wireless headset, extra controller and Xbox live vision camera. I am also enraged about the price point because you get a much better console with more features for only $80 more than the premium and if you want just the hardrive you will have to pay over $150 and you still wont have HDMI. Bottom line is that I hope they do not release this because it will make many more like myself very very angry.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Pakaru, something can't be confirmed unless the people that are making it say its true... I have yet to see Microsoft even say the Zepher or whatever it is called is true. If it was true, why aren't they advertising it?
2largeadults

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 2largeadults
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts
I am so angry right now! Why you ask? Well I have gone through two defective 360s (they had hardware failures and was not user error), right now my "new" replacement unit is just a refurb that came with scratches and has a different and very noticeable light shade of grey on the plastic vent pieces on the top and bottom of the case instead of the usual dark and metalic grey on the hardrive, and not to mention it is extremely loud (louder than my two previous ones). I wanted HDMI and a bigger hardrive and if it was available before I bought my premium version I would have bought the elite. Now even if I do buy the elite version I have to somehow get rid of my old one and if I want to make my accessories match (which I do because I am picky that way) I have to buy a new wi-fi connector, wireless headset, extra controller and Xbox live vision camera. I am also enraged about the price point because you get a much better console with more features for only $80 more than the premium and if you want just the hardrive you will have to pay over $150 and you still wont have HDMI. Bottom line is that I hope they do not release this because it will make many more like myself very very angry.ChevelleFan
I don't think they're re-releasing a black wi-fi adapter, black wireless headset, black controllers (other than the ones packaged with the system), and a black Xbox Live vision camera. According to all the articles I've read, it states that the black theme is a limited time thing. After the initial batch is sold out, the HDMI port, 65 nm chip, and upgraded hard drive will be offered in the same cases that are offered right now. If you wait until the initial shipments are out, you won't have to rebuy everything. Although i admit, black is a much cooler (and now, rarer) color for the system!
Sedin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sedin44
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
I went to circuit city yesterday and asked a couple guys.  One had no clue, the other said that MS was going to make new models with HD-DVD drives in them.  I told him i heard rumors about a black 360, with a smaller chip and hdmi.  He goes "I dunno, but if its true it wont be out for a long time".  Personally I think the guy was full of crap, but he seemed pretty confident about the hd-dvd drives...Anyone else heard anything from the electronic stores??
nivet14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nivet14
Member since 2006 • 5329 Posts

Anybody seen this picture yet ? Looks real to me.

lordking65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lordking65
Member since 2005 • 835 Posts
Can Microsoft be pulling an April fools on abus consumers out it comming about late April?
lordking65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lordking65
Member since 2005 • 835 Posts

Anybody seen this picture yet ? Looks real to me.

nivet14

thats not it, thats that one xbox 360 only game devolpers use, but it is not the Elite

mgow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mgow
Member since 2003 • 797 Posts
I just saw on g4tv, (ninja warrior) on the "feed" that someone confirmed the elite black 360. I only just barely saw it. It said the compnay name but i didnt really catch it. I tried going to G4tv.com and it didnt say anything.
kdt55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 kdt55
Member since 2004 • 2525 Posts
I'm sure the hard drive will be sold seperately.  As for the HDMI port, thats no big deal, unless you play your games 2 inches from the screen.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11941 Posts
First off, I don't believe it.  Secondly, if it is that expensive I'm going with a different company's console for an equivalent price because I already have the 360.
playwithfire17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 playwithfire17
Member since 2006 • 770 Posts
I will purchase the Elite when it comes out in white. I dislike the black color, and wouldn't want mixed controllers. A friend of mine will be purchasing my current 360 off me for a good price, if it doesn't break before the Elite comes in white.
mgow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mgow
Member since 2003 • 797 Posts
Ok so it turns out they were just going with the game informer article.....so yea
cubbiesx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cubbiesx
Member since 2005 • 632 Posts

I'm not all that stoked about the new hard drive...but I've heard that the new 360 runs quieter.

now that's an upgrade I'd be interested in.  I guess i'll buy the new one if I can get a decent deal on selling the old one ($300-$350).  But i'm guessing the market, namely ebay, will be flooded soon with people trying to sell their old 360's hoping for an upgrade.

the real winners here are the late adopters who will have the choice of either buying the new, upgraded system...or buying the old one from someone who wants to upgrade at a deep discount.

lucky youz. :D 

playwithfire17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 playwithfire17
Member since 2006 • 770 Posts
Quieter *and* cooler, which is at least as important.
masterbeef1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 masterbeef1234
Member since 2006 • 153 Posts
I m going to stay with what i have and save up for a hdtv instead.
what_the_deuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 what_the_deuce
Member since 2003 • 46 Posts

To me its useless. I'll buy the new HDD when its available, 20 gig is not enough when d/l from xbox Live + with music and games.

But something which is quieter I can live without, I usually have the sound up when I play so I don't notice. I think the least Microsoft can do is release a cooling system for existing models (Official cooling system). Not everyone has the money to fork out for material things. Colour of the console does not affect my gaming.

I won't be purchasing one, unless I see proof (When & If) it comes out, and that's only if mine breaks in the mean-time. 

Schumi7WDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Schumi7WDC
Member since 2004 • 1689 Posts

I don't know how many of you caught the AOTS segment with Morgan last night.  They had been building it up for 2 days that they were going to talk about the Zephyr, but it turned out to be a total BS segment.  They said next to nothing and then wrote it off as an April Fools joke since it was the April issue of GI. 

I hope the thing is real, I will be first in line for one at my local shop.  I already have my current premium sold to my nephew if the Zephyr becomes a reality.  I could really use the larger HDD, HDMI would be nice, but the cooling and noise reduction are big things for me too.  For 80 bucks over the current unit, it's perfect. 

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i dont care about this that much. i only need an extra gig or so on my 20gb one in case i want a demo. i have 13.6gb's left so i dont care atm.