The Official Zephyr / Elite (Xbox 360 Version 2) Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

stormtrooper32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 stormtrooper32
Member since 2004 • 2221 Posts
I'm gonna go to Bestbuy, give them my 360 'broken' and pay $80 for the black one. =D
AENEMA_TOOLOGY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 AENEMA_TOOLOGY
Member since 2006 • 245 Posts
How much will it cost and what are the new features?
OnlookerDelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 OnlookerDelay
Member since 2003 • 359 Posts

Here's about as credible a story as I've read on the Elite thus far.  This comes from Dean Takahashi, writer for The Mercury News.  He authored a book called Opening the XBox, a while back.  He can't name a source, but he thinks this is for real.  He doesn't give a date or timeframe, but simply says "sometime soon".
Microsoft to Announce the XBox 360 Elite

Dean doesn't suggest that the Elite will have the 65nm processor, however.  He thinks Microsoft won't be tooled up to produce them until the Fall.  If that's the case, I'll hold off until I can get a the whole HDMI/120GB/65nm package this Fall.

Schumi7WDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Schumi7WDC
Member since 2004 • 1689 Posts

Here's about as credible a story as I've read on the Elite thus far.  This comes from Dean Takahashi, writer for The Mercury News.  He authored a book called Opening the XBox, a while back.  He can't name a source, but he thinks this is for real.  He doesn't give a date or timeframe, but simply says "sometime soon".
Microsoft to Announce the XBox 360 Elite

Dean doesn't suggest that the Elite will have the 65nm processor, however.  He thinks Microsoft won't be tooled up to produce them until the Fall.  If that's the case, I'll hold off until I can get a the whole HDMI/120GB/65nm package this Fall.

OnlookerDelay

This does seem to be a fairly good article on the subject of the Zephyr/Elite, but it would be borderline idiotic for MS to put out this unit and not have it include the 65nm process chip, if anything, it would be the perfect test bed to run the chip size in a limited edition console.  They already announced over a year ago that it was what they would be doing, it's the future of the console, so why on earth would you go through all the other hardware revisions and not include that?

To redesign the motherboard, go through numerous other internal mods and cooling solutions, possibly change the bodywork, and all that just to better cram in the 90nm chip which is already obsolete, and not going to see more than a few months of life in the system?  That's total stupidity, plus, it's cheaper for MS to use the new chip process, and it would be a perfect way to counter the increased cost of the Elite to begin with.  120 gig hardrives, HDMI cables and connections, the cost of a limited run of black console bodies and controllers, dropping the manufacturing cost would be a perfect way to counter some of that, not to mention it would be a total waste of money and engineering to do all this redesigning and then have a completely new design of internals to better place the smaller chipset of the 65nm process. 

d_40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#105 d_40
Member since 2005 • 966 Posts
I'm buying the Zephyr as my first 360
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#106 ccgod
Member since 2003 • 7915 Posts
I'm gonna get an HDMI monitor any idea if they're gonna have HDMI cables for the new 360 when it comes out?
andrewkozis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#107 andrewkozis
Member since 2005 • 3336 Posts
i think i'm going to wait for the Zephyr, if it hasn't come out by the end of summer ill just buy the premium 360 
martian999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 martian999
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

I'm gonna get an HDMI monitor any idea if they're gonna have HDMI cables for the new 360 when it comes out?ccgod

Yea, I think the Xbox 'Elite' comes with a cable as well, though im not sure... 

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#109 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
I'm gonna get an HDMI monitor any idea if they're gonna have HDMI cables for the new 360 when it comes out?ccgod
You are aware HDMI is a standard port? If the 360 gains an HDMI port you'll be able to use any HDMI cable you want, the manufacturer of he cable does not matter.
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#110 ccgod
Member since 2003 • 7915 Posts
[QUOTE="ccgod"]I'm gonna get an HDMI monitor any idea if they're gonna have HDMI cables for the new 360 when it comes out?subrosian
You are aware HDMI is a standard port? If the 360 gains an HDMI port you'll be able to use any HDMI cable you want, the manufacturer of he cable does not matter.

but how would the sound work??  is it just like the cable i have now to hook it to a normal monitor just it's HDMI?
tony_fjellborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 tony_fjellborg
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts
Its only a rumor, snap out of it..
lennon07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#112 lennon07
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
I wud never pay more money for ANOTEHR console, i wud spray paint my 360 be4 i d that ( idont hav a 360)
SBurns22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113 SBurns22
Member since 2006 • 697 Posts
 I noticed how they said that this will be very limited quantities.  That being said i bought my original 360 at costco.  They have(had) a very leniant return policy.  Will the 360 in black be availible at costco?  I know that how limited the Wii and PS3 were, costco has recieved only one or 2 shipments of those and they were after launch.  If anyone has an idea about this please reply.  Thanks.
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#114 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
i don't care how limited it is, its not worths it. i compare this 360 the that legendary edition of halo 3. 100% not worth it.
 I noticed how they said that this will be very limited quantities.  That being said i bought my original 360 at costco.  They have(had) a very leniant return policy.  Will the 360 in black be availible at costco?  I know that how limited the Wii and PS3 were, costco has recieved only one or 2 shipments of those and they were after launch.  If anyone has an idea about this please reply.  Thanks.SBurns22
Fr0mAb0v3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Fr0mAb0v3
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I cant wait for this to come out... I am all over it.
Avatar image for halfgreenevenin
halfgreenevenin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 halfgreenevenin
Member since 2006 • 253 Posts
ok maybe this will clear up all types of confusion, i am friends with all the staff of my local game crazy, they know me on a first name basis, i asked them about this matter and they said that thir computer systems were recently updated, and he looked for anysoft of an id for a new 360 and it came up as :BLACK 360 SPECIAL EDITION in their system, so i would be expecting to buy this in a few weeks or months
halo3resident4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 halo3resident4
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts
im gonna stay with my 360 its good as it is
nivet14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 nivet14
Member since 2006 • 5329 Posts
ok maybe this will clear up all types of confusion, i am friends with all the staff of my local game crazy, they know me on a first name basis, i asked them about this matter and they said that thir computer systems were recently updated, and he looked for anysoft of an id for a new 360 and it came up as :BLACK 360 SPECIAL EDITION in their system, so i would be expecting to buy this in a few weeks or monthshalfgreenevenin
I hope what you are saying is true.
EMERlCa6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 EMERlCa6969
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts

I will get it, only because they claim it is more stable, plus I need the Space.  When I find out that it is being released, I will sell my current and pay the difference.

F1sTDaCuffS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 F1sTDaCuffS
Member since 2005 • 2570 Posts

[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="ccgod"]I'm gonna get an HDMI monitor any idea if they're gonna have HDMI cables for the new 360 when it comes out?ccgod

but how would the sound work?? is it just like the cable i have now to hook it to a normal monitor just it's HDMI?

you need an optical cable, which is sperate, it goes with the type of surround sound that you have. i.e. bose, sony dream system. or some other type of sound system. but, its a little black door in the back, just put the optical cable thru that little black door. 

OnlookerDelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 OnlookerDelay
Member since 2003 • 359 Posts

I will get it, only because they claim it is more stableEMERlCa6969

According to Dean Takahashi (San Jose Mercury News), the Limited Edition "Elite" XBox 360 will not have the 65nm (more stable) processor.  That won't come until the Fall and Microsoft releases the white Elite. 

Here's the pertinant quote from his article about that:

"By the fall, the company will also implement a chip redesign, shifting from 90-nanometer production to 65 nanometer production. That will bring costs down fairly dramatically and will enable Microsoft to make the box in larger quantities by the fourth quarter."

menito1432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 menito1432
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
HDMI = DVI-D + Optical
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#124 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
this 360 elite needs more RAM if it wants to run games and have the xbox guide. i say 1 or so gigs will do it fine.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#125 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
im just annoyed, i feel like ive been plamed off a second rate machine, i payed a massive amount of money for my 360 and then less than a year later i hear that they are bringing out a better version, ive payed full price for a half done machine and i feel jibbed, just my 2 cents
angelfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 angelfly
Member since 2003 • 4494 Posts

I've been holding off on a 360 but I'm definitely gonna pick up an Elite. The bad part is I won't have enough until the beginning of May. I hope it's released at the end of April so I can pick it up the first week of May since the it's a limited edition.

BTW anyone know how limited the Halo Xbox was? Like was it hard to find when it was released or did they stay on shelves long?

KoRn_Eddy_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 KoRn_Eddy_88
Member since 2005 • 1619 Posts
im just annoyed, i feel like ive been plamed off a second rate machine, i payed a massive amount of money for my 360 and then less than a year later i hear that they are bringing out a better version, ive payed full price for a half done machine and i feel jibbed, just my 2 centschaoscougar1
ugh that be life, always get shat on :(
F1sTDaCuffS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 F1sTDaCuffS
[QUOTE="EMERlCa6969"]

I will get it, only because they claim it is more stableOnlookerDelay

According to Dean Takahashi (San Jose Mercury News), the Limited Edition "Elite" XBox 360 will not have the 65nm (more stable) processor. That won't come until the Fall and Microsoft releases the white Elite.

Here's the pertinant quote from his article about that:

"By the fall, the company will also implement a chip redesign, shifting from 90-nanometer production to 65 nanometer production. That will bring costs down fairly dramatically and will enable Microsoft to make the box in larger quantities by the fourth quarter."

so, your telling me that you think xbox is gonna come out with a white elite in the fall just because of "65" nan. i really don't think they wanna confuse people that much. thats too many choices of xboxs. that would be 3 to chose from. the only differnce a 65 nan does, it would give your product a better chance of lasting longer then the previous model and less breakdown if that. 

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 subrosian

[QUOTE="ccgod"][QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="ccgod"]I'm gonna get an HDMI monitor any idea if they're gonna have HDMI cables for the new 360 when it comes out?F1sTDaCuffS

but how would the sound work?? is it just like the cable i have now to hook it to a normal monitor just it's HDMI?

you need an optical cable, which is sperate, it goes with the type of surround sound that you have. i.e. bose, sony dream system. or some other type of sound system. but, its a little black door in the back, just put the optical cable thru that little black door.

HDMI cables carry sound. Plug the HDMI cable from your 360 into your receiver, then plug a second HDMI cable from your receiver into your HDTV. This assumes that you have a newer receiver which features HDMI pass-through.
F1sTDaCuffS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 F1sTDaCuffS
i wonder about this. hdmi, is it as strong as an optical cable to carry sound. i highly doubt it. since its a fiber optic. but, if you do it the way you want then that would be an extra 100 dollars. for a cable that is made primary to carry video not sound. its only 50 dollars for optic cable. seems like a double negative to me. as to what your suggesting.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
im fine with my 360...if i need a bigger hard drive, then i will get one....and i dont own an hdtv, so i couldnt care less about all the hdmi stuff
Bayani789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#132 Bayani789
Member since 2003 • 1022 Posts

If you want a black 360 just but this 45$ case.... lolz

zakaweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#133 zakaweb
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
I have no problems. If I ever fill up the 20G drive I have I'll consider getting the larger drive. It does sound pretty though, it's tempting especially when you want the latest greatest. I wonder if the hdmi will also mean 1080p support. With my HDTV the image quality is superb as it is. Waiting to see what really comes of this.
mmdevs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 mmdevs
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I'm good with what I have now. No need to buy a new system. If I ever fill up my hard drive I might consider buying the larger one but not anytime soon.
Saad3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Saad3

What is HDMI and does it make a difference in the game? Isnt 720p fine or somthin like that. I still say that the people who alreay own a 360 should stick with what they have and get the additional 120g HDD.

Saad3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Saad3

What is HDMI and does it make a difference in the game? Isnt 720p fine or somthin like that. I still say that the people who alreay own a 360 should stick with what they have and get the additional 120g HDD. WTF is Zephyr

Saad3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Saad3
so wht is HDMI excatly and how does it make a difference?
EMERlCa6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 EMERlCa6969
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts
It is a digital video cable.  The image that your television recieves through HDMI is totally uncompressed.  No converting it from digital to analog etc.
eoplocust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 eoplocust
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

http://www.tgfcer.com/club/thread-5854409-1-1.html

pics check them out

dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 dwells4life
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts

I

BTW anyone know how limited the Halo Xbox was? Like was it hard to find when it was released or did they stay on shelves long?

angelfly
Well I have a Halo edition xbox, No waiting or anything for me because I have connects =]
Avatar image for lukasz_erecinsk
lukasz_erecinsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#141 lukasz_erecinsk
Member since 2004 • 1235 Posts
Someone posted those pictures of a massive stock of Elite's (perhaps the production line) they look very real to me. Sorry if old Link: http://www.tgfcer.com/club/thread-5854409-1-1.html
gamespotcrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#142 gamespotcrazy
Member since 2005 • 3034 Posts

*Link a Fied...

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13097/Xbox-360-Elite-Manufacturing-Photos/

SBurns22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 SBurns22
Member since 2006 • 697 Posts
anyone know if costco will be getting these bad boys in?
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 subrosian
It is a digital video cable. The image that your television recieves through HDMI is totally uncompressed. No converting it from digital to analog etc.EMERlCa6969
That's actually a common misconception. On all TVs their is processing to convert the image into something that is visible on the screen. The video card still must convert the signal into a standard, and the HDTV must still process the signal and scale it appropriately for the screen. This cannot be avoided. The difference with component vs HDMI mainly comes down to HDMI supporting HDCP, and HDMI carrying digital audio signals. It's great if your receiver accepts HDMI ... you pass through and you now only have two cables to run your entire home theater, pretty sweet. HDMI support is something that will matter in the future for downloaded content - however I don't honestly think it will become an issue before the Xbox 720 comes out - the HD industry has been very slow to develop.
lordking65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 lordking65
Member since 2005 • 835 Posts

*Link a Fied...

gamespotcrazy

omg

Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts

GENTLEMEN! ONE WORD!!!

BELIEVE!

Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts
also inf the zephyr has any hardware faults in it post launch buggies i will ofrver lose hope in microsoft and buy a freaking wii
STABW0UND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 STABW0UND
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts

*Link a Fied...

gamespotcrazy
photoshop woot woot
STABW0UND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 STABW0UND
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
[QUOTE="STABW0UND"][QUOTE="gamespotcrazy"]

*Link a Fied...

drummer13us
photoshop woot woot

U still dont believe geeze ur tough

i know engadnets history of BS rumors thats all.