Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#152 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

@Desmonic: But half of the Final Fantasy titles appeared exclusively on a Nintendo console BEFORE the Playstation was a thing. If a person didnt start playing Final Fantasy until 7 may have an excuse for this perception. And Halo 1&2 appeared first on Xbox. I'm not sure I understand the comparison.

Okay, Halo might have been a bad example.

However I'm not really sure why you are denying that PS and FF have a strong connection and that people associate one to another. MG also didn't start on PS. Guess what brand they associate to MGS (which so far has only 1 main game exclusive to the PS consoles)?

Just because 1,2, or more games were available on other platforms (before or after) does not mean that the brand association to the platform where they became ultra popular stops existing. It simply doesn't work like that.

When people think PS, and in particular, PS1 & 2 they think FF, MGS, TR, GTA and other series that were never exclusive. They simply became better known/more popular on the PS brand of consoles.

sonic__323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#153 sonic__323
Member since 2007 • 23684 Posts

I'm fortunate enough to not be one of them.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#154 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The difference with tombraider was the first game in the series was on all major "next gen platforms" and pc shortly after the time of it's release, MS is giving timed exclusivity just to the xbone version and even went as far as to label it as an exclusive title. We know it's coming to PC shortly after so the fact lems parade this around is just lul. I don't think FF7 is even on XBL. by all accounts console wise it's a Sony property (Again let me repeat that, on consoles)

This seems like a silly thing to get upset over Charizard, I really would of thought this thread through a bit better. The two situations are not at all the same.

Both sides are capable of hypocrisy, but I personally got a good chuckle out of lemmings praising the footage shown of TR when they've been so vocal against cinematic action games,

So they have to define exclusive the way SW does? You do realize Sony and MS have called games not on the other, but available on PC or PS3 or Vita exclusive?

Now reading through this thread I see the well there are different circumstances blah blah. Assumption is not a wise thing. TR2 was never expressly said to be multiplat out of the gate. The blame is on the assumer for not taking in facts before making their decision what something is.

Bottom line? If you hate pay for limited exclusivity be your word. I agree with @charizard1605 Me? It doesn't bother me because it's business. Don't let feelings get involved.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Desmonic said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

@Desmonic: But half of the Final Fantasy titles appeared exclusively on a Nintendo console BEFORE the Playstation was a thing. If a person didnt start playing Final Fantasy until 7 may have an excuse for this perception. And Halo 1&2 appeared first on Xbox. I'm not sure I understand the comparison.

Okay, Halo might have been a bad example.

However I'm not really sure why you are denying that PS and FF have a strong connection and that people associate one to another. MG also didn't start on PS. Guess what brand they associate to MGS (which so far has only 1 main game exclusive to the PS consoles)?

Just because 1,2, or more games were available on other platforms (before or after) does not mean that the brand association to the platform where they became ultra popular stops existing. It simply doesn't work like that.

When people think PS, and in particular, PS1 & 2 they think FF, MGS, TR, GTA and other series that were never exclusive. They simply became better known/more popular on the PS brand of consoles.

exactly, but it was never sony that made them, it was always 3rd parties. sony built its popularity on 3rd party marketing/exclusive deals. don't' forget RE and DMC as well. I remember when RE:CV was announced as a dreamcast exclusive and i had to play it at my friends house because I didn't have a dreamcast.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#156 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Remember when Sony published FF7 for PS1? A lot of people don't remember that, most likely many people were too young or weren't born when the game released. Squaresoft was a smaller company and relied on other publishers which may be hard for people to realize in modern times as SquareEnix is massive and even bought out Eidos. Years ago it was speculated that if a FF7 remake was made, Sony would have some sort of rights to the FF7 product, in some limited fashion. At one point Sony owned 20% of Squaresoft. How did those people years ago predict that a FF7 would in some ways be exclusive? Maybe it was luck or wishful thinking. Maybe it was more.

I, of course, wondered about that sort of deal, but without seeing the contract it's all just speculation. I did notice that FF7 was never ported to any Nintendo or Xbox console in the decades after and I certainly think the DS for example would have been a great spot for a FF7 port at the very least. PS3 enjoyed PS1 classics like FF7 but we never saw those ports elsewhere and the Xbox 360 and Wii certainly could have handled FF7. Could it be the original FF7 contract made with a younger SquareSoft and young Sony Playstation? We did see PC ports, but Sony doesn't consider the PC a threat. Furthermore a FF7 HD port is coming to PS4 in a few months this October (not to be confused with FF7 Remake) and not Wii U or Xbone. What's up with that? Again, there is some sort of ties to FF7 and Playstation.

Without seeing the original PS1 contract with a young SquareSoft and Sony, it's tough to say one way or the other. I'm not for Timed Exclusives at all, I would prefer that money spent on creating 1st party, but I don't know what the deal is.

Why wasn't FF7 ported more frequently? Other than Sony and SquareEnix, we just simply aren't privy to the intel.

Personally, I'm just happy to see something I never thought would happen, finally happen. That's pretty sweet at least. If Sony did pony up for a timed exclusive, that's a bummer. In many ways I see Sony going the way of timed exclusives for the PS4 gen, but I warned of them adopting that stratagem years ago as it was so successful for Xbox. Spent money with 3rd parties instead of investing in 1st party. It bummed me out then to see the masses get caught up with timed exclusives and it bums me out now.

I know what timed exclusives ultimately mean...less games for me to play.

I should point out there is one difference with Rise of the TR. TR was multiplatform for years and when Rise was originally announced it wasn't timed. It was assumed like the last game it was going to be just like the last TR which was on PS3/360/PS4/Xbone/PC. Then a deal was struck and then Rise was 360/Xbone only. There was a definite transition from multiplat to Xbox multiplat. FF7 doesn't have that history both the original game and the remake.

@santoron said:

@charizard1605: I dig the concept of this thread. I just think in this case the deals and the announcements surrounding them provide plenty of reasons for different community reactions. First let's look at the announcements.

Rise of the Tomb Raider (from here on referred to as TR2) was originally announced months before "exclusivity" was announced. Now it could have been that MS moronically decided to play coy with a long established deal, but it also may have been that MS - finding themselves looking for a counter to the also announced Uncharted 4 - decided to pay to delay PS gamers ability to play the game. By presenting an assumed multiplat, allowing that assumption to persist for months, and THEN announcing otherwise, they made it easy for the media and community to view the deal as something being taken away from gamers. With FFVII, no prior announcements had been made (though we had some epic trolls) so this snafu was avoided entirely.

They also did their best to create a misleading announcement, and continue stubbornly to hide the facts of the deal to this day. When CD made their... Artfully worded announcement that TR2 was "Coming holiday 2015, Exclusively to XBox" (along with identically phrased press releases from CD and MS, to demonstrate that the wording was deliberately chosen) it was an attempt to convey a reality that didn't exist. Only after pinning Spencer down was the press able to discern the general framework, and then only by reading between the lines of some very defensive Spencer replies to questions. Even now, with all of the blowback MS is sticking to their guns of insisting all parties make no mention of other versions of the game. Compare this to the FFVII announcement, where "Play it first on Playstation 4" was an immediate and clear indication that other versions were forthcoming, and A Sony rep recently also told lol taku that "gamers will know how long the PS4’s timed-exclusivity lasts relatively soon. “We’ll be disclosing that to everyone before the game comes out, so everyone will know.”" If I were to guess, I'd say the biggest single source of criticism of MS comes here. They helped design an intentionally misleading announcement and have continued to be obstinate about allowing other details to be discussed. Why? the only people fooled at this point are a few of their own fanboys. Any possible PR coup from this evaporated once Spencer was forced to admit he had a timed deal with no control of the game once it expired. Now they just look petty.

Finally, the likely terms of each deal are quite distinct. TR2 is a multiplat MS had no prior relation to before paying to hold back other editions for the holiday shopping season. FFVII was translated into English (poor effort) and published in NA for PSOne by Sony. Despite several popular rereleases in subsequent console generations and on PC, the title has never appeared on a Nintendo or MS console, leading many to deduce that Sony's publishing rights limit the console availability of the game. It seems plausible to me that Sony surrendered any claim on the remake for an exclusive console window (sounds like SE can release at anytime on PC, again from loltaku interview). Which hey, you can call BS there too, but I don't think anyone would expect a shareholder owned company to give away something as valuable as even limited FFVII rights for free, and without the ability of the remake to go full multiplat, SE wouldn't likely bother anyhow.

In short, I think Sony's previous connections to FFVII, combined with their willingness to speak more clearly about the game's future outside of their platform makes it easy to see why the community at large views that situation more favorably to one where MS paid for a multiplat to delay its release on other platforms, crafted an announcement designed to convince gamers and the media that they had an actual (well... Brand?) exclusive, and has obstinately refused to allow information about other platforms to come out to this day.

Well said.

How did you come to the conclusion that Sony doesn't consider PC a threat? Not to mention PC is connected to MS via Windows OS and DirectX, technologies not present on Sony platforms.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

@draign: When you think PlayStation you think Final Fantasy? You do know that the first six games were on a Nintendo console, right?

In Japan. In the US....only three and I don't think any of the games were released in Europe and Australia before the PS1 era.

cyclops10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 cyclops10
Member since 2004 • 696 Posts

OP did it really take you this long to figure out that most people are hypocrites? Especially fan bois? Opinions on this site are a joke.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#159  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The difference with tombraider was the first game in the series was on all major "next gen platforms" and pc shortly after the time of it's release, MS is giving timed exclusivity just to the xbone version and even went as far as to label it as an exclusive title. We know it's coming to PC shortly after so the fact lems parade this around is just lul. I don't think FF7 is even on XBL. by all accounts console wise it's a Sony property (Again let me repeat that, on consoles)

This seems like a silly thing to get upset over Charizard, I really would of thought this thread through a bit better. The two situations are not at all the same.

Both sides are capable of hypocrisy, but I personally got a good chuckle out of lemmings praising the footage shown of TR when they've been so vocal against cinematic action games,

So they have to define exclusive the way SW does? You do realize Sony and MS have called games not on the other, but available on PC or PS3 or Vita exclusive?

Now reading through this thread I see the well there are different circumstances blah blah. Assumption is not a wise thing. TR2 was never expressly said to be multiplat out of the gate. The blame is on the assumer for not taking in facts before making their decision what something is.

Bottom line? If you hate pay for limited exclusivity be your word. I agree with @charizard1605 Me? It doesn't bother me because it's business. Don't let feelings get involved.

Oh I agree, my feelings were never attached and I feel timed exclusivity is stupid in the first place. I'm just saying he didn't think this thread through because both of these games have entirely different scenarios attached to them. For example as I said, TR was on every single HD console at release with pc following shortly after, TR2 is going straight to Xbone as a timed game, pc following i'd imagine shortly after, Playstation only fans are left out in the cold as of now for that title.

FFVII on the other hand, has always been on sony consoles, and has never been on an xbox. There was naturally a greater outrage towards the immediate sequel of a rebooted franchise abandoning Playstation, with FFVII it's kind of par for the course given it's past history.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#160 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@aroxx_ab: Ok? I don't like PC gaming either.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@lordlors:

Because PC is not a console.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Sony said coming first to ps4 while Microsoft to this day continues to say xbox exclusive.

When TR was first announced they confused everyone until it was revealed that it was coming to PlayStation while Sony on the spot said coming to ps4 first.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@a-new-guardian said:

Sony said coming first to ps4 while Microsoft to this day continues to say xbox exclusive.

When TR was first announced they confused everyone until it was revealed that it was coming to PlayStation while Sony on the spot said coming to ps4 first.

well they say xbox exclusive for holiday 2015

And they admitted last year that it's timed, as does the games FAQ

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#164 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I don't get the fuss over timed exclusives. What does it matter if a game is released on one platform before another, it'll get released on the one you prefer eventually and who really cares if that takes a year or more longer than some other guy on the internet. The chances are it'll be a more stable and less buggy version than the 'exclusive' platform had on release.

I guess being a PC gamer, almost exclusively, waiting for a better version often with more content is more common than the console gamers are used too and this get's them upset.

As for hypocrisy, welcome to System Wars where graphics matter until something better is shown and then gameplay is more important, as if modern games with good graphics generally have bad gameplay (although there have been some high profiles examples of that recently).

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Couldn't care less about FF7. Tomb Raider cometh!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@me2002 said:

system wars not fanboy wars

when mods do it it's ok?

Son let me tell you something. Sometimes the good has to suffer for the bad. That's just how SW works.

In some ways, I do enjoy seeing Mods corruption around here on SW.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

I don't have a problem with exclusivity. If you really want to play them shell out for their respective console.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#168 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@lordlors: Well, it's all relatively speaking, but that's an easy call really. These days both XBox and PS representatives have taken to referring to games as if PC doesn't exist, because they are so in to their little rivalry. MS routinely refers to PC/Xbox games as exclusives, as if the PC version doesn't exist. Sony treats them much the same. For example with the FFVII reveal it said "play it first on Playstation 4" but Sony later admitted they have no information on a PC release and that it could theoretically come out alongside the PS4 version. I believe the same thing is true with NMS: they said we'd play it on ps first, but I believe we now know it will hit PC on the same day.

You can question the wisdom of each console ignoring PC in the great System War, but there's no denying that's how things stand right now.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@lordlors said:
@SolidTy said:

Remember when Sony published FF7 for PS1? A lot of people don't remember that, most likely many people were too young or weren't born when the game released. Squaresoft was a smaller company and relied on other publishers which may be hard for people to realize in modern times as SquareEnix is massive and even bought out Eidos. Years ago it was speculated that if a FF7 remake was made, Sony would have some sort of rights to the FF7 product, in some limited fashion. At one point Sony owned 20% of Squaresoft. How did those people years ago predict that a FF7 would in some ways be exclusive? Maybe it was luck or wishful thinking. Maybe it was more.

I, of course, wondered about that sort of deal, but without seeing the contract it's all just speculation. I did notice that FF7 was never ported to any Nintendo or Xbox console in the decades after and I certainly think the DS for example would have been a great spot for a FF7 port at the very least. PS3 enjoyed PS1 classics like FF7 but we never saw those ports elsewhere and the Xbox 360 and Wii certainly could have handled FF7. Could it be the original FF7 contract made with a younger SquareSoft and young Sony Playstation? We did see PC ports, but Sony doesn't consider the PC a threat. Furthermore a FF7 HD port is coming to PS4 in a few months this October (not to be confused with FF7 Remake) and not Wii U or Xbone. What's up with that? Again, there is some sort of ties to FF7 and Playstation.

Without seeing the original PS1 contract with a young SquareSoft and Sony, it's tough to say one way or the other. I'm not for Timed Exclusives at all, I would prefer that money spent on creating 1st party, but I don't know what the deal is.

Why wasn't FF7 ported more frequently? Other than Sony and SquareEnix, we just simply aren't privy to the intel.

Personally, I'm just happy to see something I never thought would happen, finally happen. That's pretty sweet at least. If Sony did pony up for a timed exclusive, that's a bummer. In many ways I see Sony going the way of timed exclusives for the PS4 gen, but I warned of them adopting that stratagem years ago as it was so successful for Xbox. Spent money with 3rd parties instead of investing in 1st party. It bummed me out then to see the masses get caught up with timed exclusives and it bums me out now.

I know what timed exclusives ultimately mean...less games for me to play.

I should point out there is one difference with Rise of the TR. TR was multiplatform for years and when Rise was originally announced it wasn't timed. It was assumed like the last game it was going to be just like the last TR which was on PS3/360/PS4/Xbone/PC. Then a deal was struck and then Rise was 360/Xbone only. There was a definite transition from multiplat to Xbox multiplat. FF7 doesn't have that history of bouncing about between console companies both the original FF7 game and the FF7 remake. The announcements for FF7, unlike Rise TR, were clean and to the point.

@santoron said:

@charizard1605: I dig the concept of this thread. I just think in this case the deals and the announcements surrounding them provide plenty of reasons for different community reactions. First let's look at the announcements.

Rise of the Tomb Raider (from here on referred to as TR2) was originally announced months before "exclusivity" was announced. Now it could have been that MS moronically decided to play coy with a long established deal, but it also may have been that MS - finding themselves looking for a counter to the also announced Uncharted 4 - decided to pay to delay PS gamers ability to play the game. By presenting an assumed multiplat, allowing that assumption to persist for months, and THEN announcing otherwise, they made it easy for the media and community to view the deal as something being taken away from gamers. With FFVII, no prior announcements had been made (though we had some epic trolls) so this snafu was avoided entirely.

They also did their best to create a misleading announcement, and continue stubbornly to hide the facts of the deal to this day. When CD made their... Artfully worded announcement that TR2 was "Coming holiday 2015, Exclusively to XBox" (along with identically phrased press releases from CD and MS, to demonstrate that the wording was deliberately chosen) it was an attempt to convey a reality that didn't exist. Only after pinning Spencer down was the press able to discern the general framework, and then only by reading between the lines of some very defensive Spencer replies to questions. Even now, with all of the blowback MS is sticking to their guns of insisting all parties make no mention of other versions of the game. Compare this to the FFVII announcement, where "Play it first on Playstation 4" was an immediate and clear indication that other versions were forthcoming, and A Sony rep recently also told lol taku that "gamers will know how long the PS4’s timed-exclusivity lasts relatively soon. “We’ll be disclosing that to everyone before the game comes out, so everyone will know.”" If I were to guess, I'd say the biggest single source of criticism of MS comes here. They helped design an intentionally misleading announcement and have continued to be obstinate about allowing other details to be discussed. Why? the only people fooled at this point are a few of their own fanboys. Any possible PR coup from this evaporated once Spencer was forced to admit he had a timed deal with no control of the game once it expired. Now they just look petty.

Finally, the likely terms of each deal are quite distinct. TR2 is a multiplat MS had no prior relation to before paying to hold back other editions for the holiday shopping season. FFVII was translated into English (poor effort) and published in NA for PSOne by Sony. Despite several popular rereleases in subsequent console generations and on PC, the title has never appeared on a Nintendo or MS console, leading many to deduce that Sony's publishing rights limit the console availability of the game. It seems plausible to me that Sony surrendered any claim on the remake for an exclusive console window (sounds like SE can release at anytime on PC, again from loltaku interview). Which hey, you can call BS there too, but I don't think anyone would expect a shareholder owned company to give away something as valuable as even limited FFVII rights for free, and without the ability of the remake to go full multiplat, SE wouldn't likely bother anyhow.

In short, I think Sony's previous connections to FFVII, combined with their willingness to speak more clearly about the game's future outside of their platform makes it easy to see why the community at large views that situation more favorably to one where MS paid for a multiplat to delay its release on other platforms, crafted an announcement designed to convince gamers and the media that they had an actual (well... Brand?) exclusive, and has obstinately refused to allow information about other platforms to come out to this day.

Well said.

How did you come to the conclusion that Sony doesn't consider PC a threat? Not to mention PC is connected to MS via Windows OS and DirectX, technologies not present on Sony platforms.

Because Sony PR has said as much so over the years. They are different markets man. That may not be how you view it or I view it, but that's how Sony views it and for the most part even Xbox execs. Sony even promotes cross play with PC on these exclusives many times which include SF5 and previous FF Online games.

Besides those words from Sony PR over the many, many years (I wouldn't just trust PR) we know that actions speak louder than words and we have seen since the PS1-PS2-PS3-PS4 gen that Sony have allowed their exclusive deals with 3rd party games to be ported to PC including the upcoming Street Fighter 5 for PS4/PC for example (their are many examples, which include Final Fantasy 7). It's all right in their actions.

That means we have two decades worth of Playstation to see a common trend of PC ports even with their exclusive 3rd party exclusives, like Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness for PS2/PC.

Sony wants to keep their exclusives off competing consoles but allow PC ports in these deals for two decades.

How did you come to the conclusion that Sony does consider the PC a threat? If Sony's words and PR over the many years over this exact issue didn't phase you, certainly the many PC ports of their 3rd party PS exclusives you must have noticed?

Don't worry about answering it because that's off point. My point was to answer the OP, not talk about how Sony views the PC platform. The bottom-line is FF7 Remake will probably release on PC just we know for certain Street Fighter 5 will.

The PC is not a console and is viewed differently by these companies. People can argue that these companies shouldn't see PC differently, but that's beside the point. Us arguing won't change any points about FF7 Remake releasing on PC or not. It probably will. That's that.

@santoron said:

@lordlors: Well, it's all relatively speaking, but that's an easy call really. These days both XBox and PS representatives have taken to referring to games as if PC doesn't exist, because they are so in to their little rivalry. MS routinely refers to PC/Xbox games as exclusives, as if the PC version doesn't exist. Sony treats them much the same. For example with the FFVII reveal it said "play it first on Playstation 4" but Sony later admitted they have no information on a PC release and that it could theoretically come out alongside the PS4 version. I believe the same thing is true with NMS: they said we'd play it on ps first, but I believe we now know it will hit PC on the same day.

You can question the wisdom of each console ignoring PC in the great System War, but there's no denying that's how things stand right now.

Well said again. :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 LJS9502_basic

@santoron said:

Consoles don't really compete with PC. Console gamers are console gamers and PC gamers are PC gamers. Sony and MS aren't going to convert a PC gamer to consoles. But Sony and MS can convert console gamers to their consoles....they hope. The only ones trying to align PC gamers with console gamers is PC gamers....in SW.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#171  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9732 Posts

@davillain- said:
@me2002 said:

system wars not fanboy wars

when mods do it it's ok?

Son let me tell you something. Sometimes the good has to suffer for the bad. That's just how SW works.

In some ways, I do enjoy seeing Mods corruption around here on SW.

I don't want to mess with the corrupt mods here lol.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

The damage control in this thread lol.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#173 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Oh I agree, my feelings were never attached and I feel timed exclusivity is stupid in the first place. I'm just saying he didn't think this thread through because both of these games have entirely different scenarios attached to them. For example as I said, TR was on every single HD console at release with pc following shortly after, TR2 is going straight to Xbone as a timed game, pc following i'd imagine shortly after, Playstation only fans are left out in the cold as of now for that title.

FFVII on the other hand, has always been on sony consoles, and has never been on an xbox. There was naturally a greater outrage towards the immediate sequel of a rebooted franchise abandoning Playstation, with FFVII it's kind of par for the course given it's past history.

Understood but if we're talking about circumstances then we have to take into consideration that FF7 is and has been on PC. And there have been a few FF on 360 in the past few years. None of this changes the fact that if a person blasts timed exclusivity, then they are either consistent or rationalizing and 99.9% of the time the rationalization is for the benefit of the what they prefer.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Timed exclusivity is BS no matter who's doing it, and I've been saying that for years.

That said, it does help with development costs, which is a good thing. Better to have the game funded piece by piece than never have it get made.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20125 Posts

I love seeing threads calling out hypocrisy. I really hate it.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 DarkLink77

@charizard1605 You know the real reason for it, though.

It's because Microsoft is the evil empire and Sony is God's gift to gaming. Or something. Even though their first party studios are exceptionally mediocre overall.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Both platform holders use $$ to enhance and "add perceive value" to their platform. Certain claims and arguments are colored with bias.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
@DarkLink77 said:

It's because Microsoft is the evil empire and Sony is God's gift to gaming. Or something. Even though their first party studios are exceptionally mediocre overall.

Sony's first party developers are much more impressive than anything Microsoft has, I think that's the distinction.

they lost two of their standout developers, Epic games with gears and Bungie's Halo, and have desperately been trying to fill the holes left in the gears, halo, forza trifecta ever since.

Sure you have rare, but it's entirely rare for them to put out a game worth a damn with the loss of talent that studio has seen over the years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#179 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

Sony's first party developers are much more impressive than anything Microsoft has, I think that's the distinction.

they lost two of their standout developers, Epic games with gears and Bungie's Halo, and have desperately been trying to fill the hole left in the gears, halo, forza trifecta ever since.

Sure you have rare, but it's entirely rare for them to put out a game worth a damn with the loss of talent that studio has seen over the years.

Not necessarily.

Last generation, Microsoft had Bungie. At the time, it was far better than any Sony studio, especially since this was pre-TLOU Naughty Dog era. Turn 10 was obviously better than Polyphony Digital as well.

Look, fanboys can and will make all the excuses they want. You are too, here. I am not calling you a fanboy, I am pointing out how easy it is to fall into certain forces of habit. That does not change the fact that hypocrisy is traded like chattel around these parts.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By DarkLink77

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

they lost two of their standout developers, Epic games with gears and Bungie's Halo, and have desperately been trying to fill the holes left in the gears, halo, forza trifecta ever since.

Right now? I guess, sure, because of Naughty Dog. Beyond that, they have literally zero impressive studios.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has a bunch of tribute bands and Turn 10.

Neither one of them are actually impressive.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@charizard1605 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

they lost two of their standout developers, Epic games with gears and Bungie's Halo, and have desperately been trying to fill the hole left in the gears, halo, forza trifecta ever since.

Not necessarily.

Last generation, Microsoft had Bungie. At the time, it was far better than any Sony studio, especially since this was pre-TLOU Naughty Dog era. Turn 10 was obviously better than Polyphony Digital as well.

Look, fanboys can and will make all the excuses they want. You are too, here. I am not calling you a fanboy, I am pointing out how easy it is to fall into certain forces of habit. That does not change the fact that hypocrisy is traded like chattel around these parts.

I'd say it's especially true this generation. MS has been reeling from the mistakes they made at launch and still haven't fully recovered. I'd say Sony's first party now especially has greater variety and quality as well. We've got 343 which let's be honest, hasn't exactly proven themselves yet and the coalition handling gears, we have no idea how that will turn out.

as far as hypocrisy is concerned, of course it's like the bread and butter of system wars. Every side is guilty especially when the cards they're playing are showing a losing hand.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

Cows make up the majority of System Wars and they are the most vocal. And if you look at System Wars the past 2 generations, we measure success in totally different ways. But the ways we measure success equate in wins for the Sony console.

-Wii wins sales, sales don't matter

-Xbox 360 has better looking multiplats, those don't matter

-Cows followed the metagame until TLOU. Now we get all kinds of Metacritic posts and threads

-Paying for online was only for suckers.

Now:

- Sales matter

- Superior Multiplats matter

- Paying for online is OK

And better yet Cows have flip flopped on some of the new standards. There is a user here that will start a thread every time Digital Foundry crowns the PS4 version of a multiplat. That same user will cry foul if an Xbox One version comes out on top in framerate or similar performance and the same resolution. It's the same damn source!

This exclusive topic is just another thing to add to the list. At least the rabid Lems are some what consistent. Cows make it impossible to debate anything because the goalposts are always moving. And I don't understand the insecurity since Sony has been the most successful gaming company overall since the PS1.

1-That is funny hypocrite Lemmings acted as if the damn wii wasn't the market leader and many times i argue with several who would claim the xbox 360 was the leader of Gen 7,then change their argument to mature to avoid the wii.

2-The PS3 also had several multiplaforms that look better,and lemming would do the same with exclusive.

3-The metagame hasn't change here and still is working fine,DC flopped for PS4 just like Halo MCC flopped.

4-Paying for online is a rip off and it always will be.

5-Sales matter last gen,and is this gen that they don't matter to lemming who bragged about NPD sales until 2013.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/october-2013-npd-360-outsells-ps3-3ds-on-top-30928469/

Case in point but i guess you are to hypocrite to point that out.

6-They always matter and last gen lemming bragged about how they could spot the difference between 640p and 720,now this gen they can't see if from 720p to 1080p or 900 to 1080p either..

7-No it is not is a stinking rip off.

Yeah like when DF claimed from 900p to 1080p the difference was massive when it was PC vs PS4,but when it was 720p vs 1080p resolution didn't matter because it was PS4 vs xbox one,and who was that yeah Leadbetter...lol

Some what consistent.? Really so Gear collection and Tomb Raider are xbox one exclusives but FF7,Shenmue and No Man Sky aren't because they are on PC.?

How is bragging a whole gen about graphics and sales consistent when this one they don't care about those.?

Your ADMITTED hate for cows is clouding your judgement if in deed you have any...lol

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@tormentos said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

-Cows followed the metagame until TLOU. Now we get all kinds of Metacritic posts and threads

3-The metagame hasn't change here and still is working fine,DC flopped for PS4 just like Halo MCC flopped.

Nice try Tormentos. How can you forget the Cows assault on the metagame? You were one of the Cows leading the charge after all.

If anyone wants a good read and a good laugh, you should revisit the TLOU hype thread! 166 pages of pure gold!
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/the-last-of-us-hype-thread-56k-80-gs-29337112/?page=1

bubba_1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By bubba_1988
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts

@charizard1605: Honestly timed exclusivity doesn't matter. Everyone gets to play the game within 6 months to a year anyway. People just boast and fake outrage just to win arguments or strengthen their points on internet comments.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

@charizard1605: I would agree with you but you seem to be missing one small fact..... Final Fantasy was THAT ONE game that made the ps1 what it was and the ps1 made THAT game what it was. That game commercial when it first aired on tv converted people into rpg fans. It certainly was the game that made me start liking rpgs.

It was a match made in heaven and they needed each other. So it's only fitting they dance with each other first. If I was square I would've done this even if Sony didn't provide me any financial benefit. Heck I'd probably just make it a ps4 permanent exclusive.......

It's kinda of like Kojima saying he decided to make mgs4 an exclusive because he felt the MGS franchise made its name on the ps1 so he kinda felt obligated..... now whether that was just bullshit or not is a story for discussion for another day/topic.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Cows make up the majority of System Wars and they are the most vocal. And if you look at System Wars the past 2 generations, we measure success in totally different ways. But the ways we measure success equate in wins for the Sony console.

-Wii wins sales, sales don't matter

-Xbox 360 has better looking multiplats, those don't matter

-Paying for online was only for suckers.

Now:

- Sales matter

- Superior Multiplats matter

- Paying for online is OK

And better yet Cows have flip flopped on some of the new standards. There is a user here that will start a thread every time Digital Foundry crowns the PS4 version of a multiplat. That same user will cry foul if an Xbox One version comes out on top in framerate or similar performance and the same resolution. It's the same damn source!

This exclusive topic is just another thing to add to the list. At least the rabid Lems are some what consistent. Cows make it impossible to debate anything because the goalposts are always moving. And I don't understand the insecurity since Sony has been the most successful gaming company overall since the PS1.

Same can be said about the Lems, marginal better Multiplats was a victory and sales matter specially NPD every month last Gen. Now suddenly only Cows play sales and only Cows can see the different with better Multiplats when PS4 games clearly looks better!

All fan bases flip flop; it's a matter of degrees really. Last gen, cows literally argued that putting online behind a paywall was a morally bankrupt transgression against gamers and now you don't hear a peep out of them. Can't really think of a lem flip flop that severe.

Are you kidding?

Don't want to rain on your parade bud but lems gave playstation the name "cows" for PS2's getting disk read errors early in it's life time and said they get milked by buying faulty hardware over and over. THAT was the biggest and only valid criticism xbox fans initially had against PS fans for xboxs entire first generation, and then xbox360 happened and the infamous RROD.

I don't think I need to tell you that it was probably the most faulty system in the history of video games and the highest recorded fail rate of any system and xbox fans waved it off calling it a great system///AFTER giving sony fans the name "cows" for PS2's DRE, a much smaller problem compared to the multiple and massive 360 issues and fail rates. You can't get any more flip floppy than that kiddo.

Please come of off your stupid fanboy bias slant. Trying to paint xbox fanboys as better or less hypocritical than PS fans automatically makes you looks stupid as they were the group trying to advocate the nonsense MS was trying to pull at the beginning of the generation, now praising them for their "for gamers" catch phrase and theme they borrowed from Sony since the start of this gen (dat 180).

I always see you posting some silly "cow" BS in your posts sounding blind as hell ignoring all xbox fan instances of the same thing usually worse like the example I just gave you.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#187 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
@DarkLink77 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Right now? I guess, sure, because of Naughty Dog. Beyond that, they have literally zero impressive studios.

It's a wild concept half this forum pretends is too complicated for them. They are debating over two pieces of shit, without realizing the better one? Still a piece of shit.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By playharderfool

@jg4xchamp said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It's a wild concept half this forum pretends is too complicated for them. They are debating over two pieces of shit, without realizing the better one? Still a piece of shit.

But he is basically saying

Turn 10 for MS plus a bunch of studios >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Naughty Dog for Sony plus a bunch of studios.

It's quite comical since the "other" studios for Sony also have high rated (talking AAA MC stuff) games under their belt where is MS has jack, but lol somehow MS is better for him, surprise.

Speaking of "zero impressive studios" which MS studio has any MC AAA rated games bedsides Turn 10? I am talking EVER? LOL Bungie is gone so???

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 jg4xchamp

@playharderfool said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Turn 10 for MS plus a bunch of studios >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Naughty Dog for Sony plus a bunch of studios.

The English language does not work the way you think it does if that's the reaction you got. The words

"Right now? I guess, sure, because of Naughty Dog. Beyond that, they have literally zero impressive studios.

Neither one of them are actually impressive."

Translated into Naughty Dog plus a bunch of literally zero impressive studios>Turn 10 and tribute bands, and that neither of them are actually impressive, which was a cuter way of him saying they both suck.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By playharderfool

@jg4xchamp said:
@playharderfool said:
@jg4xchamp said:

The English language does not work the way you think it does if that's the reaction you got. The words

"Right now? I guess, sure, because of Naughty Dog. Beyond that, they have literally zero impressive studios.

Neither one of them are actually impressive."

Translated into Naughty Dog plus a bunch of literally zero impressive studios>Turn 10 and tribute bands, and that neither of them are actually impressive, which was a cuter way of him saying they both suck.

No, because what he was saying was false and BS.

Strictly going by critical review I can prove that his attempt to argue that even last gen that MS had better studios than Sony is false. No need to try to sugar coat a opinion that is clearly BS and only supported by bias.

He is clearly trying to downplay Sony's studios when there are only 3 main consoles companies to pick from and Sony and Nintendo go back and forth with the highest rated games from multiple internal studios FACT. so MS is the only one that can be considered "mediocre" in that regard.

Like I say, no based on his fanboy opinion on what he thinks is good but critical review of games those other studios made prove him wrong, even when comparing Turn10 to ND he is stretching a MS studio to match a higher level one from Sony so he never had a good argument to begin with.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 jg4xchamp

@playharderfool said:

Strictly going by critical review I can prove that his attempt to argue that even last gen that MS had better studios than Sony is false. No need to try to sugar coat a opinion that is clearly BS and only supported by bias.

What? His exact words translated into he thinks Sony is better because Naughty Dog.

The other part of "his opinion is false because of this group of opinions overrules his opinion, because his opinion is clearly supported by his bias of ...his own damn opinion" is lazy. Why should he or I, or even you care about metacritic? You're angry because he shared a different viewpoint and isn't shackling himself to some sheep mentality of "well the popular opinion is that these games are good, so they must be derp". Although I'll admit I chuckled at you thinking he thinks Turn 10 is on par with Naughty Dog, I assure you as much as he'll have some hate boner for popular shit, he isn't exactly going to gas up a racing game, a sim styled racing game no less.

Likewise Sony and Nintendo go back and forth isn't actually fact, it's an opinion. It is a fact that Sony and Nintendo get more highly reviewed gamed games. That's a fact. The inherent quality of said games and their devs is not a fact.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By playharderfool

@jg4xchamp said:
@playharderfool said:

What? His exact words translated into he thinks Sony is better because Naughty Dog.

The other part of "his opinion is false because of this group of opinions overrules his opinion, because his opinion is clearly supported by his bias of ...his own damn opinion" is lazy. Why should he or I, or even you care about metacritic? You're angry because he shared a different viewpoint and isn't shackling himself to some sheep mentality of "well the popular opinion is that these games are good, so they must be derp". Although I'll admit I chuckled at you thinking he thinks Turn 10 is on par with Naughty Dog, I assure you as much as he'll have some hate boner for popular shit, he isn't exactly going to gas up a racing game, a sim styled racing game no less.

Likewise Sony and Nintendo go back and forth isn't actually fact, it's an opinion. It is a fact that Sony and Nintendo get more highly reviewed gamed games. That's a fact. The inherent quality of said games and their devs is not a fact.

Well, we are on SW and when people present arguments about games and trying to state your opinion as fact, this is usually how it goes down. I know all about the opinion card that can be pulled, but he is not pulling it you are pulling it for him.

It's quite the exaggeration to say xstudios gave nothing when they have produced universally recognized AAA games at one point or another since some studios never achieve that feat.

We can all spout opinions all day but If I call Turn 10 mediocre how much credibility would you assign that? Would you jump behind the opinion banner and validate that opinion too, what about Platinum games? I get what you are saying about opinions but hiding behind the opinion banner while disregarding achievements to make statements can and should be called into question unless it is clarified that those are only personal views.

Again, this is SW and we use critical opinion to certify arguments all the time unless a personal opinion is declared, and it wasn't.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 jg4xchamp

@playharderfool said:

Well, we are on SW and when people present arguments about games and trying to state your opinion as fact, this is usually how it goes down. I know all about the opinion card that can be pulled, but he is not pulling it you are pulling it for him.

It's quite the exaggeration to say xstudios gave nothing when they have produced universally recognized AAA games at one point or another since some studios never achieve that feat.

We can all spout opinions all day but If I call Turn 10 mediocre how much credibility would you assign that? Would you jump behind the opinion banner and validate that opinion too, what about Platinum games? I get what you are saying about opinions but hiding behind the opinion banner while disregarding achievements to make statements can and should be called into question unless it is clarified that those are only personal views.

Again, this is SW and we use critical opinion to certify arguments all the time unless a personal opinion is declared, and it wasn't.

Fine lets speak it from a me and you standpoint, because I'm in a similar boat as him. Outside of Naughty Dog, Ueda, I'm not too keen on Sony's first party. Sucker Punch making a good game would be the first time they made a good game, because I think all 3 Infamous games at best are above average. Okay, aight, fair, decent. Enough to fill time, but not enough for me to consider them good. Ditto for Sly Cooper, plenty of personality, but boring platformers. Santa Monica is a God of War factory at this point, and while God of War 2 is good, 1 to me is a poor action game, the 3rd has a lousy second half where it banked too much on spectacle over good gameplay, and the storyline? Fucking garbage even by "for a video game" standards, much less my mantra of not wanting to pretend better stories in better mediums don't exist. Frankly it be nice if they did something else, and the God of War 2 director is back there, so I guess that's a bonus. Beyond that the LBP games don't play well, and no amount of metascore will make me think higher of them.

Likewise I'm not exactly fond a racing game studio and a bunch of tribute bands (by the way, we're using that term as a negative). And our displeasure with those studios would be a personal opinion, to me a lot of these developers are wildly outclassed by superior third party alternatives.

Naughty Dog is an exception, and even they made Uncharted 1 and 3, which I will argue aren't exactly good games.

You might disagree with all that, but I get no joy out of thinking they suck. I bought these machines with the expectations they would earn daddy's love, and so far between the two of them they have 1 great game that has earned daddy's love: Bloodborne. So I'm back at my initial statement of arguing between two lame things over who is least lame, won't overrule the part where the better lame thing is still a lame thing.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 playharderfool

@jg4xchamp said:
@playharderfool said:

Fine lets speak it from a me and you standpoint, because I'm in a similar boat as him. Outside of Naughty Dog, Ueda, I'm not too keen on Sony's first party. Sucker Punch making a good game would be the first time they made a good game, because I think all 3 Infamous games at best are above average. Okay, aight, fair, decent. Enough to fill time, but not enough for me to consider them good. Ditto for Sly Cooper, plenty of personality, but boring platformers. Santa Monica is a God of War factory at this point, and while God of War 2 is good, 1 to me is a poor action game, the 3rd has a lousy second half where it banked too much on spectacle over good gameplay, and the storyline? Fucking garbage even by "for a video game" standards, much less my mantra of not wanting to pretend better stories in better mediums don't exist. Frankly it be nice if they did something else, and the God of War 2 director is back there, so I guess that's a bonus. Beyond that the LBP games don't play well, and no amount of metascore will make me think higher of them.

Likewise I'm not exactly fond a racing game studio and a bunch of tribute bands (by the way, we're using that term as a negative). And our displeasure with those studios would be a personal opinion, to me a lot of these developers are wildly outclassed by superior third party alternatives.

Naughty Dog is an exception, and even they made Uncharted 1 and 3, which I will argue aren't exactly good games.

You might disagree with all that, but I get no joy out of thinking they suck. I bought these machines with the expectations they would earn daddy's love, and so far between the two of them they have 1 great game that has earned daddy's love: Bloodborne. So I'm back at my initial statement of arguing between two lame things over who is least lame, won't overrule the part where the better lame thing is still a lame thing.

I can accept everything you said because you simply gave your opinion and made that clear. Never said opinion in it self was off the table or wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

It is shitty. But as most things console related... I Don't care... because I will be waiting for the superior versions on PC. While playing many other games.

Final Fantasy VII has a massive chance of failure... I'm excited... but cautious.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 DaVillain  Moderator

@bubba_1988 said:

@charizard1605: Honestly timed exclusivity doesn't matter. Everyone gets to play the game within 6 months to a year anyway. People just boast and fake outrage just to win arguments or strengthen their points on internet comments.

Pretty much this. I honestly don't see why anyone should be mad over just one game when you got more games out there to be playing. Tomb Raider 2 can't be the next Witcher 3 now, that's just silly.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 LJS9502_basic

@davillain- said:
@bubba_1988 said:

Pretty much this. I honestly don't see why anyone should be mad over just one game when you got more games out there to be playing. Tomb Raider 2 can't be the next Witcher 3 now, that's just silly.

The wording on the initial....and even still now announcements didn't make that clear. And I guess those with PS4s wanted to play the new game as well and it was initially announced for the console I think.....so that upset some TR fans. Whereas FFVII was announced much more clearly. So I don't see hypocrisy in this one instance.

Nonetheless all fans are guilty of hypocrisy at one time or another. Last gen when the 360 was ahead the story was different for both fan bases and it's flipped this gen. Arguments are the same....just opposing views for each. I don't get why the TC is calling out any one demographic about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Desmonic:

I can remember the Nintendo fans reaction to FF64 being nixed and FF7 being revealed. Now that is a punch to the gut.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 DaVillain  Moderator

@charizard1605: Now that I think about it, I remember that Angry Joe was fucking piss-off on the whole Tomb Raider 2 timely exclusive deal despite he was a Xbox fanboy and he was just as mad as he was for Bayonetta 2 Wii U exclusive.

Loading Video...

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#200 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

lol welcome to the world of double standards. Whatever justifies the cow agenda will be said. Same thing with the PSN paywall. Same with the PSNow Backkwards compatibility milkage. Same with the Remaster disaster. They will moo and love it and beg for more.