deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

DISCLAIMER: I don't need to say this, but this will inevitably come up, so let me make this clear. I like the PS4 far more than the Xbox One. In my opinion, the Xbox One is still struggling to find a reason to justify its existence, whereas the PS4 is approaching as near to perfection as I can imagine a console approaching.

With that out of the way-

Let's talk about timed exclusivity.

This is an important topic to talk about- you know, it's been a bit of a hot topic lately. Remember when, last year, Microsoft announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider would be an Xbox timed exclusive? Caused a bit of an uproar there, didn't it? How dare they do this, everyone asked. They're just using money to block others from playing the game- this isn't the good kind of exclusivity, everyone reasoned. Not like Bayonetta 2 or Street Fighter V, where the games wouldn't have existed until Nintendo and Sony came along to rescue them. This was just Microsoft using their pockets to add artificial value to their console.

You know what, I agree. I absolutely do. I think the Tomb Raider exclusivity is bullshit, and even as a business move, it's too short sighted to actually be meaningful.

The difference is, I am consistent, and you are not. You are all hypocrites.

What are you talking about?

I am talking about an announcement that was made recently- that everyone is celebrating. Final Fantasy VII. It's being remade. That's good news, right? That's very good news! It's a landmark game, people have wanted it since forever, and fans are finally getting a chance to play a reinterpreted version of this classic. It's a win win!

Unfortunately, thanks to Sony, all but 22 million of current gamers are being locked out of actually getting to play it.

Remember, this is not permanent exclusivity. Sony is not funding this project. All they seem to have done is given Square Enix some financial benefits- to secure timed exclusivity of the game for their system. No different from Microsoft with Rise of the Tomb Raider (ironically, also a Square Enix game- they seem to be a bit whorish with this, don't they?)

But where Microsoft was villified by the gaming community for this - and whoo boy, were they villified - people aren't calling Sony on this shit. No, in fact, PlayStation exclusivity is even being celebrated by those same people who called foul on Microsoft doing the same with Tomb Raider. ONLY on PlayStation, they say, gleefully, after turning around from having raged at Microsoft and Xbox fans for this exact same maneuver not a year ago.

What is this double standard? What the hell, guys? Microsoft does it, so it's evil, but Sony does it and it's all well and good? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

TL;DR- No, there's no TL;DR. Stop being lazy and read the damn thing. It'll take you two minutes.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

I've always called bullshit on these types of deals that lock players out. And I always get annoyed with it.

So, please.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3  Edited By FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

I think timed exclusivity is a great idea on Square Enix's part. It means console manufacturer's have to front up with the marketing costs. Quite smart to be honest.

I don't get what the problem is for Tomb Raider or FF7

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Its a little confusing reading, can you put one of the commentators comments in italic.

How did Sony save Street Fighter 5, SF4 was big and sold the most copies out of any fighting game from last gen. Im pretty sure they didnt need nothing, but a nice blank check.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak said:

I've always called bullshit on these types of deals that lock players out. And I always get annoyed with it.

So, please.

@FrozenLiquid said:

I think timed exclusivity is a great idea on Square Enix's part. It means console manufacturer's have to front up with the marketing costs. Quite smart to be honest.

I don't get what the problem is for Tomb Raider or FF7

Look guys, this isn't meant for you. If you are consistent in your like or dislike of this kind of a thing, great! Seriously, it' not directed at you. It's directed at those who have selective interpretation of this kind of a thing. They know who they are, and there are loads of them on here, and on NeoGAF, and on Reddit, and so on. It's meant for them, and on a larger level, it's meant to draw attention to this problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mesome713 said:

Its a little confusing reading, can you put one of the commentators comments in italic.

How did Sony save Street Fighter 5, SF4 was the big and sold the most copies out of any fighting game from last gen. Im pretty sure they didnt need nothing, but a nice blank check.

Capcom wasn't gonna fund Street Fighter V, it was not considered profitable enough, until Sony came along and rescued the project from limbo.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

You find it on all things gaming. Hell just look at what Cows were saying when PSN was free to now when it's behind a paywall.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

@charizard1605: Mhm. "To those that shat on Microsoft regarding the Tomb Raider exclusivity, and cheering for FF7 now are hypocrites" isn't the best topic title.

But yeah, you're not wrong. I actually thought Sony did have a hand in FF7's development, much like Street Fightah.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@charizard1605 said:
@mesome713 said:

How did Sony save Street Fighter 5, SF4 was the big and sold the most copies out of any fighting game from last gen. Im pretty sure they didnt need nothing, but a nice blank check.

Capcom wasn't gonna fund Street Fighter V, it was not considered profitable enough, until Sony came along and rescued the project from limbo.

Are you saying SF4 was not profitable also? Sounds like a white lie to me. I dont believe Capcom for a second that SF5 couldnt be profitable. SF4 sold over 15 million copies.

If all 15 million copies sold for $20 bucks thats 300 million dollars.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

I agree.

Though I would add that a small difference was that RTR was announced as a game, without any mention of exclusivity, before MS stepped in and acquired the temp exclusivity; whereas this (FF7R), for all I know of it, was announced from day 1 as coming first to the PS4. I'd say that's what made people angry on the TR situation. It seemingly changed status from multiplatform to exclusive after being announced.

But yeah, basically the same deal. I'd say it's the same deal with SF5 too. I have no doubt in my mind that Capcom would make it sooner or later, regardless of Sony/MS/Ninty stepping in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak said:

@charizard1605: Mhm. "To those that shat on Microsoft regarding the Tomb Raider exclusivity, and cheering for FF7 now are hypocrites" isn't the best topic title.

But yeah, you're not wrong. I actually thought Sony did have a hand in FF7's development, much like Street Fightah.

Hey, I would have gone for that, if it weren't for the dumb 60 character limit :p

And nah, when they announced timed exclusivity, it was pretty clear Sony wasn't funding this one.

@mesome713 said:

Are you saying SF4 was not profitable?

No, I am not saying that. I am saying Capcom did not consider it profitable enough to make a Street Fighter V for a long time. They are not the brightest tools in the shed.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

FF7 was a landmark game for Playstation and it makes sense that SE is putting it on PS4 first. I never took the implication that it wasn't going to be on just PS4 eventually as confirmation that it was going to make its way to XB1; I took that as confirmation of a PC version. Xbox players can be happy with Final Fantasy games from XIII and above except XIV.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@charizard1605: I gotcha, thats crazy, but, it is what it is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@princeofshapeir said:

FF7 was a landmark game for Playstation and it makes sense that SE is putting it on PS4 first. I never took the implication that it wasn't going to be on just PS4 eventually as confirmation that it was going to make its way to XB1; I took that as confirmation of a PC version. Xbox players can be happy with Final Fantasy games from XIII and above except XIV.

The history here is irrelevant- it would be irrelevant if FF7R wasn't on PS4, but as long as it is, it doesn't matter.

Also, they were clear- 'debuting first on PS4.' They don't use that language. They have been pretty happy to announce PS4/PC dual exclusives before. The implication, along with their general evasiveness on the issue, makes it clear that the game is set to lose its exclusivity eventually- and that people are happy to let this slide, where they raged at Microsoft.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

The thing that annoyed me about the tomb raider deal was like desmonic said it was assumed that it would be a multiplat based on the previous game. The fact that it also is a direct sequel is also annoying as PS4 owners won't get to continue the story.

From a business sense it's unusual as X1 is the lesser selling console and you're cutting out a larger fanbase on ps4 also didn't the previous game sell better on ps than xbox?

MS started this trend so now you gotta live with it.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

I thought lems doesn't like jrpgs anyway, I stil think ps and Xbox gamers have different taste in games

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

FF7 is a remake of an 18 year old game.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a sequel to a game that came out 2 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, both tactics are super shitty, but there is definitely a big difference.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

I think it's more about how ff games were always tied to PlayStation name ( at least since ff7) so it didn't seem like Sony stole anything while tomb rider was a game that started on PlayStation systems.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't give a shit about exclusivity of any kind. That makes me far more consistent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

And you are calling them out now? I am just mad at both $ony and M$ for pulling this type of shit.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

This still leads back to my belief that Rise of the Tomb Raider will never grace a Sony console.

FFVI will be on Xbox however.

I'm not mad though. Not at all.

lil_bad_boy561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lil_bad_boy561
Member since 2005 • 97 Posts

@darklight4: Please Sony did this back with the second TR game paid to lock the franchise off the Saturn and PC like they did with a lot of games back then they practically invented this move Sony fan are just salty that someone had come along that can now do it to them.

doesn't matter if the Xbox one is the lesser selling console Microsoft is helping with development, advertising and Publishing so SE don't have to foot so much money meaning getting a third installment is more likely as the first game was just profitable, so it dose not matter that it sold more on Playstation Platforms especially when it's timed exclusive anyway.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Far be it from me to suggest you have blown your own trumpet a little too quickly but this boast is ridiculous. There are several here, myself included, who don't care for the exclusive nature and are not particularly bitter if a console has games I can't get. So timed exclusives are not something I am ever bragging about. If they decided SF V was coming out on Xbox One tomorrow, I'd be happy, because more would get to play it.

It depends whether you are a corporate moron or just a gamer interested in playing games.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

I like deals like this as an owner of most the consoles since it gives each one its own flare. One consoles got mario the other one got halo other other got bloodborne.

Like I said if mario and halo or bloodborne go to PC why wouldn't I just buy gaming PC and ignore all 3 consoles think about that. Many have no reason to get the console unless it has its own flare.

Consoles are competing against PC they've been trying to compete with it this whole time, and trying to stand out thats their job ninty understands it very well.

Exclusives should be happening way more often in the console business im surprised at the lack of them honestly with this much competition its been strange that we haven't seen a lot more happening. I think Sony locked down and made a lot of exclusives last gen must own titles and microsoft so far hasn't so I don't see a comeback occurring at all in fact I see a massive decline from the 360 market share unless microsoft starting build must have exclusives im not talking about timed tomb raiders, or some pirate rare game.

I'm talking god of war 3's im talking megatons like last of us that was a walking dead video game movie. So far i didn't see a single one that look like those at e3 that were exclusive microsoft better turn this shit around right away or their done and phil spencer is not turning things around fast enough this ship needs some mega wind bursts or this gen is completely gone

10 FPS Mass Effect 1 backwards compatibility isn't gonna turn any tides either you need pc backwards compatibility it runs games better with better hardware not worse it needs to be better period, the war is almost completely over the japan has invaded the usa and germany took over russia, its looking really bad and e3 did not do anything for me all i heard was killer instinct/gears of war coming to pc and possible MCC/SO droppin on PC. Phil spencer is moving on opposite direction imo.

I honestly expected fallout 4 or something to be fully exclusive on X1 a huge megaton or something like that they really needed something like that to sell x1/windows 10 i dunno if phil spencer and the head of microsoft is trying to win or just trying to like stay afloat you really need to try to win and that e3 was not a winner imo

All you Microsoft had to do was spend a billion a good game like fallout 4 instead of minecraft and they literal just win on the spot against sony its not even its just over for the ps4 at that point. You would get every pc gamer to switch windows 10 right for the game and you get console gamers who no longer can play it on ps4 so they either need to get win 10 an buy from the store or xb1 an buy it at a store...phil spencer has screwed so much i don't even know how he is in charge the minecraft thing is just not like anything to do with the console i still dunno why he bought it.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#25 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

The difference is tomb raider is coming anyway with or without Microsoft

The FF7 remake had some Sony influence

And I don't care since I am not a fan of either franchises

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

I agree with you Chaz. It's Rise of the Tomb Raider all over again and no one is calling Sony on it.

Is it coming to PC? Because if it is, that's what I'll be getting it on.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46000 Posts

Of course: both Sony and Microsoft are securing timed exclusivity deals and deals for timed exclusive DLC.

It's pretty lame yeah. I especially hate PS4 getting bonus DLC (on launch day) with games that PC and Xbox gamers will never get.

Not really that bothered about having to wait months/a year for games like Dead Rising, Ryse or Tomb Raider.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23813 Posts

Timed Exclusivity is bullshit, unless they have a DAMN good reason for the timed exclusivity. Namely, Console to PC Exclusivity or PC to console exclusivity. Where they might want hte extra time to properly adapt it for the other system(s). I would gladly deal with waiting a few months if it means my platform of choice wont have to deal with a terrible port.

And that took me one minute to read, not two :P

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

why would anyone be upset.

By the time this trainwreck of a remake gets released in 2020+, it'll be a multiplat, like 13 Versus

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ProtossX

@Micropixel said:

I agree with you Chaz. It's Rise of the Tomb Raider all over again and no one is calling Sony on it.

Its first on PS4 so while every other human on twitch is beating the game you will be watching or something on youtube or twitch or wherever while every other game playing it.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

This is SW. Fanboys are hypocrites. Nothing new.

@k--m--k said:

The difference is tomb raider is coming anyway with or without Microsoft

The FF7 remake had some Sony influence

And I don't care since I am not a fan of either franchises

Are you saying without Sony, FF7 remake wouldn't have been possible?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#32 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Long story short: Cows are hypocrites...

I never supported the idea of turning multiplats into exclusives to move some Consoles. It's a shitty move,,, doesn't matter who does it. There is no messiah here, who "saved" xyz franchise. It's all PR bullshit.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

@lordlors: no, it probably would have happened. I just think they gave the project more of a...nudge?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

As long as I own all 3 current-gen consoles, I care not for whatever timely exclusive lands on what consoles. My advice: wanna play that game, buy the damn console only and only if your impatience. Remember this, life is too short.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
@k--m--k said:

@lordlors: no, it probably would have happened. I just think they gave the project more of a...nudge?

Which is basically money. Nothing different from MS. So no there's no difference.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

@ProtossX said:
@Micropixel said:

Its first on PS4 so while every other human on twitch is beating the game you will be watching or something on youtube or twitch or wherever while every other game playing it.

I'm fine with that.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

Cows are huge hypocrites. In other news rain is wet.

It is pretty bad. TR was timed exclusive and they bitched about it and MS were evil scum. SFV, FF7 and Shenmue 3 are likely never coming to the Xbox One, but that's okay.

It's cool though, it's all coming to the PC.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#38 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

I agree completely, bar you calling me a hypocrite. I really couldn't care less about the exclusive debacle =P

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44946 Posts

TC you had to be there to appreciate FF7. People have been waiting on a remake for years. FF7 & Playstation are tied together. It's also a Japan thing. Comparing that to Tomb Raider is poppy cock.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I guess the different was ROTR was first announce as mulitplats and than suddenly switch to MS timed exclusive after MS dump money to SE. that got alot of people piss off. If it start out as MS time exclusive than alot of people would have been alright!

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Me a hypocrite? **** no I wont be able to play this game till 2018 due to that exclusivity and I'm pissed about it.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

what a clueless idiot you're TC. The hate about TB Rise was because it was an "exclusive" but when it was announced as "timed" then everyone stopped being so angry about it.

Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

Yeah, I always thought timed exclusivity was a trashy move, but I did not know FF7 was timed.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

TC you had to be there to appreciate FF7. People have been waiting on a remake for years. FF7 & Playstation are tied together. It's also a Japan thing. Comparing that to Tomb Raider is poppy cock.

Oh here we go lol. Do me a favour with that nonsense.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Why would anyone want to play this game on some 900p Box, anyways?

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#46 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Well, that's interesting. Would you like to know why you are wrong?

1. Tomb Raider is a new sequel of a multiplatform game that most people played on platforms other than XBOX. It is also a very old series with strong PS/PC roots.

2. Final Fantasy VII is a PS/PC game being remastered. Where do you suppose FF7 fans are going to be playing it?

3. People criticize Microsoft for not doing what console manufacturers are supposed to do - develop exclusive games. Sony does not have an issue in this regard. The nicest thing I could say about Microsoft is that they've never pissed off third parties like Sony has.

4. To my knowledge, there has never been confusion as to whether the FF7 remaster is a PS exclusive, or timed exclusive. This was not the case for Tomb Raider.

5. Closely related to #2, ROTTR is a major new release, while FF7 is a remaster targeted mainly at long-time fans (who probably played it on Playstation)

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Well if my memory doesn't fail me i say i have no problem with such deals,because is common practice and sony has done it..

Another point of hypocrites in the same way are those who count Tomb Raider and treat it as an xbox one exclusive,but when the time comes to do the same for FF7 is not valid and FF7 is multiplatform.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

@Desmonic said:

I agree.

Though I would add that a small difference was that RTR was announced as a game, without any mention of exclusivity, before MS stepped in and acquired the temp exclusivity; whereas this (FF7R), for all I know of it, was announced from day 1 as coming first to the PS4. I'd say that's what made people angry on the TR situation. It seemingly changed status from multiplatform to exclusive after being announced.

But yeah, basically the same deal. I'd say it's the same deal with SF5 too. I have no doubt in my mind that Capcom would make it sooner or later, regardless of Sony/MS/Ninty stepping in.

I think that's an important difference. Tomb Raiders fans with a PS4 had that game dangled in front of them.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Aren't you like 13 or something?

Anyway, TC is totally right, tho I expect the cow defense force to give him flak.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ProtossX

@Shewgenja said:

Why would anyone want to play this game on some 900p Box, anyways?