Who was smarter about controller batteries?

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@silversix_ said:

hahah some actually defend AA batteries in 2013 rofl

yea anyone that knows anything about batteries does.

last 5 years NiMH rechargeable technology has rapidly advanced.

AAs are now the supreme beings in the battery world.

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52  Edited By Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

It's amazing how many Lems will, in the same breath, gush over how Kinect is so innovative and futuristic and then laud M$ for keeping the 1980's alive and well by requiring AA batteries for their controller. It must be inordinately painful for the Lems to be pulled so hard towards the past & future simultaneously.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

While i think MS should include a Play and Charge kit with every console, the ability to use AA batteries is a good thing. I've personally had to replace a DS3 battery when it went completely dead, luckily i had a Sixaxis i never used that could donate it's battery but still, now i've got one less controller.

Options are good.

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

... ....………. ... LOL

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

People with common sense will say batteries are better when it comes to gaming controllers

oddballrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56  Edited By oddballrulez
Member since 2004 • 1642 Posts

All speculation and 'what if' bull shit.

You can't possibly claim the DS4 will be dead in a year, when no ones owned one for more than a few months. I've never seen a dead DS3, so I have no reason to believe it will happen with this one.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@mrxboxone said:

With Sony you have a $60controller with a rechargeable battery inside. The downside however, once that battery doesn't hold a charge after about a year you have to buy another $60 controller even though your controller that doesn't hold a charge still works perfectly fine, just needs to be plugged in all the time now. Cost after a year roughly $120

Or Microsoft who also offers a $60 controller that will take AA batteries or by a $25 play and charge kit. Once the rechargeable battery no longer holds a charge, you can buy a new rechargeable battery for $15. After one year total cost is roughly $100 or more if you just buy AA batteries.

I have a launch PS3 controller and still charges and play,a DS 3 since they where introduce and still charges and play great,so getting a new controller is pulled from deed down your a$$...hahaha

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By tormentos
@silversix_ said:

Yep is so damn stupid,yeah lets put triple A on an iphone,that way you can change the batteries for better ones..

People don't care about charging the cell phone era has make complaining about charging irrelevant,the average tablet get 6 to 9 hours,after that charge again and it doesn't let you use double AA or triple A.

They just want an excuse to justify those $25 MS is ripping out of them,that battery cost sony like $3 or $4 MS charged you for a pair $25 when even duracell ones with charger are cheaper and last longer to.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@tormentos said:
@silversix_ said:

Yep is so damn stupid,yeah lets put triple A on an iphone,that way you can change the batteries for better ones..

People don't care about charging the cell phone era has make complaining about charging irrelevant,the average tablet get 6 to 9 hours,after that charge again and it doesn't let you use double AA or triple A.

They just want an excuse to justify those £15.47 MS is ripping out of them,that battery cost sony like £1.86 or £2.48 MS charged you for a pair £15.47 when even duracell ones with charger are cheaper and last longer to.

Do you take your gaming controller outside the house with you? Do you move it away from your console? I doubt it. Maybe I'm just lucky that I spent £5 in 2005 for a stand and 2 pairs that still last for 15 hours each. I guess most console gamers play on monitors now at a desk because they seem to have no problem with the short USB lead

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By tormentos

@Snugenz said:

While i think MS should include a Play and Charge kit with every console, the ability to use AA batteries is a good thing. I've personally had to replace a DS3 battery when it went completely dead, luckily i had a Sixaxis i never used that could donate it's battery but still, now i've got one less controller.

Options are good.

Letting a side been AA or build in,MS should included the play and charge kit,instead of charging people for it apart.

Also you can buy replacements for DS3 batteries for as low as $6 i think on ebay,depending on how big you want the battery.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tormentos

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Do you take your gaming controller outside the house with you? Do you move it away from your console? I doubt it. Maybe I'm just lucky that I spent £5 in 2005 for a stand and 2 pairs that still last for 15 hours each. I guess most console gamers play on monitors now at a desk because they seem to have no problem with the short USB lead

Lucky no liar yeah probably...

What brand and stand you bough that lasted that long and give you 15 hours of play still.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@tormentos said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Lucky no liar yeah probably...

What brand and stand you bough that lasted that long and give you 15 hours of play still.

The stand just says energizer on it and the batteries are uniross 2500 mah

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

damn my DS3's are 4-5yrs old and work perfectly fine so if the same quality was put in the DS4 i don't expect them to live for just a year..

TC you must be one die-hard lemming to try and defend the use of AA batteries in controllers in 2013 :)

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#64  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

NINTENDO.

Their 40(?) hour battery life in the pro controller is unbeatable.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65  Edited By Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

I still have my original sixaxis controllers since launch. I still haven't noticed them getting any weaker.

Also, what was that silly thing about needing to plug the controller while playing? How about plugging it in while you're NOT playing, that way it's freshly charged when you boot up a game.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

LOL at defending having to continually buy batteries for a controller....

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

How can you defend AA batteries? Shit is wack son.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Don,t know why people feel the need to lie about a controller just to justify which piece of plastic they have decided to buy. I've had the same DS3 for 4 years not and play around 30h per week and it still holds charge for 4-5 hours easily.

Sometimes it's just too easy for people to come on here and spout shit. Maybe we should have a sub section for bullshit.

I'll start: "I bought an Xbox One controller and AA batteries only last 12 minutes. I bought a charge and play kit and it blew up my house. I'd advise anyone not to buy an xbox one."

Read that back and realise how stupid these fanboys sound.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

$120 a year for controllers for the PS3/PS4....well at least you tried to troll. Fell flat on your face while attempting to do so, but you tried.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

I'm not bothered by the lack of a built in rechargeable battery for the X1. I actually like the idea of a separate rechargeable battery so when it's charge lesses over the years, it isn't you whole controller that suffers and just the one component that is replaceable.

But i do wish they included the play and charge kit in the box so you didn't have to buy separately. Oh well, i got a promotional offer through MS store when preordering my games that pays for the kit.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@mrxboxone said:

With Sony you have a $60controller with a rechargeable battery inside. The downside however, once that battery doesn't hold a charge after about a year you have to buy another $60 controller even though your controller that doesn't hold a charge still works perfectly fine, just needs to be plugged in all the time now. Cost after a year roughly $120

Or Microsoft who also offers a $60 controller that will take AA batteries or by a $25 play and charge kit. Once the rechargeable battery no longer holds a charge, you can buy a new rechargeable battery for $15. After one year total cost is roughly $100 or more if you just buy AA batteries.

My PS3 controller has been going strong for 5 years, and that's with almost daily use for atleast several hours.

You're reaching, lemming. MS is fucking you in the ass and you're turning around, smiling, and thanking them for it.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@withe1982 said:

Don,t know why people feel the need to lie about a controller just to justify which piece of plastic they have decided to buy. I've had the same DS3 for 4 years not and play around 30h per week and it still holds charge for 4-5 hours easily.

Sometimes it's just too easy for people to come on here and spout shit. Maybe we should have a sub section for bullshit.

I'll start: "I bought an Xbox One controller and AA batteries only last 12 minutes. I bought a charge and play kit and it blew up my house. I'd advise anyone not to buy an xbox one."

Read that back and realise how stupid these fanboys sound.

Who's bullshitting?

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

Rechargeable AA batteries is the way to go.....DS4 would have benefit the most with AA batteries because it lasts a ridiculously low 7-10 hours per charge.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

A new rechargeable battery for X1 costs like $10. A new rechargeable battery for PS4 cost $60. You tell me which is the better option for consumers.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

DS4. What other high-end consumer electronic product uses AA batteries? I feel the built-in battery is a batter value for the consumer. I have a 4 yr old DS3 and 2 yr old DS3 controller, they both hold a charge perfectly fine.

DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#76 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

I never thought I'd say it but these days I strongly prefer double A batteries to rechargeable controllers. The only time rechargeable controllers have an advantage is when I'm traveling. Other then that it's easier with batteries. Of course only if you have rechargeables. Which in my case I always have 4 ready to go from my charging station save the times I switch out.

With my PS3 I'm down to one controller (NHL does a number on gamepads) and when that gets low I have to temporarily turn it into a wired controller. Granted it's not the end of the world as it holds a decent charge and only takes ~20 minutes to get a full charge but it's not as convient as using rechargeable batteries in an Xbox controller.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I've never had a DS3 die so no point pissing and moaning about the possibility. That isn't the problem with Sony controllers, the real problem with DS4 seems to be a weak battery life to begin with. Microsoft's way of milkage and AA battery inconvenience isn't better either. But really, what a massive non-issue either way.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@Couth_ said:

**** Microsoft system.. Anyone who sport that is a presidential tier goon..last gen i bought a wired 360 controller to not deal with batteries plus it doubled for PC..this gen they are forcing the play and charge or individual batteries

That's not options thats milkage.. But that's why they call them lemmings..not brain can't think for themselves just follow blindly

I too liked the wired controller both for PC and not having to worry about batteries.

Here's my thoughts on this gen (please note I don't have an XB1 controller but I do have a PS4 - last gen I gamed on a 360 not a PS3 so ...)

Batteries
1. I have never minded replaceable batteries. They are convenient and I never have to worry about charging my controller.
2. In terms of expense they cost a few dollars a month at most. Buy a giant pack (esp when on sale) and you're done.

vs

Rechargable
1. I HATE that the cord is so short. These people who say that they play with cord plugged in must either live in a shoebox or stand 2 feet from their TV's. Isn't console gaming supposed to be easy and played from your couch? Thats what hear when people rag on the PC.
2. The PS4 has to be in standby mode while the controller recharges. Now I've no idea how much power that uses but it certainly isn't free (and I also didn't realise the first night that this was the case so got to spend the next morning playing standing in front of my TV).
3. Recharging isn't that big a deal. I very rarely have marathon gaming sessions anymore. However, you have to rely on other people being as dilligent about plugging the controller back in (my wife will NEVER do that after watching netflix) or about leaving the console in standby mode.

For me personally I really don't care that much one way or the other. I have a slight preference towards batteries but not anything to get upset about, I do find it hilarious that anyone would think it worth making a big issue over, or that its a landslide in favour of one option or the other.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I cant believe people are STILL defending the use of seperate batteries whether its the official ms battery or their own rechargable AA's.

Why do you think mobile phones use recharble batteries inside them?? its convenient thats why and they can supply a good amount of power for that life could you imagine running a cellular phone with AA batteries whether they're rechargable or not, of course you wouldnt its a ridiculous suggestion especially in 2013/14 so why would a (supposed) state of the art cutting edge device choose to use such backward tech? because there are people like all of those in this thread that defend the practice and carry on giving MS their money.

I think its hilarious picturing all of these people sitting around with their handfulls of AA batteries waiting for the dam things to die so they can prise them out and stuff new ones in 'til the next time and they need to do it again.....LOLOL

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@LJS9502_basic said:

LOL at your ignorance............

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LJS9502_basic

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Wow...such wit. We are in the presence of such intellectual depth.....don't get so butt hurt dude. LOL

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@silversix_ said:

You mean like people who still defend physical media vs digital? I see alot of PS users doing that ...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@silversix_ said:

You mean like people who still defend physical media vs digital? I see alot of PS users doing that ...

Don't see the analogy here dude. Nothing wrong at all with physical media.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@LJS9502_basic said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Wow...such wit. We are in the presence of such intellectual depth.....don't get so butt hurt dude. LOL

I guess all that emo music of yours is starting to take its toll

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LJS9502_basic

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

LOL now you display ignorance of music...gj.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@silversix_ said:

You really don't see the analogy between people saying that batteries are outdated in 2013 but that discs vs digital isn't? Or that its ok to have the right to choose physical over digital but that choosing batteries over rechargable is stupid? Wow, alright.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@LJS9502_basic said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LJS9502_basic

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@silversix_ said:

You really don't see the analogy between people saying that batteries are outdated in 2013 but that discs vs digital isn't? Or that its ok to have the right to choose physical over digital but that choosing batteries over rechargable is stupid? Wow, alright.

No I don't see the analogy. Nothing wrong with physical media...several reasons. For one thing...some people are collectors. Second...some people don't want to have to lose games when they run out of space on the hard drive. And they still exist if one loses the ability to access the downloads.

As for batteries.....rechargeable save money in the long run. But hey....spend that money all you want dude. I'd rather save the money and use it for more games.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. ;)

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic: The analogy is perfect. Its about "I like my choice better yours is stupid".

You prefer physical vs digital for the reasons you gave, likewise its perfectly fine for someone to like their own batteries over an internal one. People can justify their choices any way they choose but different solutions work for different people. For some convenience and choice outweighs cost, for others the cheaper option is better.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#91 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Pretty good video.

Loading Video...

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#93  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

@mrxboxone: Dude, my launch ps3 controller still works and holds a charge 6-7 years later. AA batteries was an awful move and that's why they bring out the play and charge kit. It should be in the controller not sold separately.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@iambatman7986 said:

@mrxboxone: Dude, my launch ps3 controller still works and holds a charge 6-7 years later. AA batteries was an awful move and that's why they bring out the play and charge kit. It should be in the controller not sold separately.

They brought it out to give you a choice if you wanted to use rechargeable not because it's better. I really don't understand why cows are soooooo hell bent on telling people choices are bad.

I don't know how many times I forgot to charge my controller and it was dead when it came time for me to play. Never had that problem with MS controllers. I will always prefer having a choice rather than not having 1 at all.

I guess cows are different. They'd rather be told what's good for them.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@mrxboxone said:

My PS3 controllers still work fine since launch. The PS4 batteries are the same and last for 9 years. Both you can play for 8-10 hours before charging them.

MS doesn't include the internal rechargeable battery, because they're too cheap and they want to make money off of consumers buying them afterwards.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Fact is whatever MS does is the best to Lems. If MS made the X1 controllers built in rechargeable, they would say that it lasts longer than the DS4. Although we would know that to be BS since Sony uses the best and longest lasting built in rechargeable available.

Just as we know that using AA or having to buy the charge n play packs isn't as good as having them built in, but Lems will say it is because it's what's MS does.

They said Bluray wasn't that great since the 360 didn't have it. They said HDMI wasn't better when the 360 came out only component. They say that being able to swap out the HDD with any brand any capacity HDD isn't better since MS doesn't allow it. They say the all the free games Sony gives you on PSN isn't that great since MS doesn't give them new games with Xlive. They said the web browser wasn't useful since the 360 didn't have it. They said. Whatever MS does and limits them to is the best and necessary. I call this wearing X-goggles. It makes for Lame Lemming Logic (LLL).

burn_cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By burn_cooper
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
@clr84651 said:

Fact is whatever MS does is the best to Lems. If MS made the X1 controllers built in rechargeable, they would say that it lasts longer than the DS4. Although we would know that to be BS since Sony uses the best and longest lasting built in rechargeable available.

Just as we know that using AA or having to buy the charge n play packs isn't as good as having them built in, but Lems will say it is because it's what's MS does.

They said Bluray wasn't that great since the 360 didn't have it. They said HDMI wasn't better when the 360 came out only component. They say that being able to swap out the HDD with any brand any capacity HDD isn't better since MS doesn't allow it. They say the all the free games Sony gives you on PSN isn't that great since MS doesn't give them new games with Xlive. They said the web browser wasn't useful since the 360 didn't have it. They said. Whatever MS does and limits them to is the best and necessary. I call this wearing X-goggles. It makes for Lame Lemming Logic (LLL).

You sir, are awesome, **** lemmings.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@Couth_ said:

**** Microsoft system.. Anyone who sport that is a presidential tier goon..last gen i bought a wired 360 controller to not deal with batteries plus it doubled for PC..this gen they are forcing the play and charge or individual batteries

That's not options thats milkage.. But that's why they call them lemmings..not brain can't think for themselves just follow blindly

How are individual batteries milkage??? Are you buying MS batteries....just buy a cheap set of rechargables for £5 and have done with it for 3 years.

This batteries vs charge pack is such a non issue. I prefer rechargables because I can alternate between the two sets of batteries meaning I am always able to have charge.

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 bloodlust_101
Member since 2003 • 2764 Posts

@clr84651 said:

LLL