Who was smarter about controller batteries?

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

The fact they are called play and charge is just clever wording.....they should be called charge so you can play kits....far less convenient.

Recharagable batteries dont seem like a next gen feature, but it does mean you can game continuously alternating between two sets of rechargables which is far more convenient than any other form.

rtechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 rtechie
Member since 2003 • 87 Posts

Make no mistake, the proprietary batteries in the DS3 and DS4 have a relatively limited lifespan and don't hold a charge very long (especially the DS4). With the 360 controller you can use AAs or a variety of rechargeable packs and alkaline AAs last longer.

The big tradeoff is size and weight. Microsoft's solution is fundamentally heavier and adds considerable bulk (some of the rechargeable packs are smaller than 2 AAs).

I'm personally willing to spend more to get the weight down, but I greatly prefer the layout of the 360 controller to the DS3. The biggest problem with the DS3 is the "PS3 must be turned on to charge controller" problem and the DS3 rejects generic USB chargers.

On the DS4 AA batteries are not an option, it needs too much power.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@clr84651 said:

Fact is whatever MS does is the best to Lems. If MS made the X1 controllers built in rechargeable, they would say that it lasts longer than the DS4. Although we would know that to be BS since Sony uses the best and longest lasting built in rechargeable available.

Just as we know that using AA or having to buy the charge n play packs isn't as good as having them built in, but Lems will say it is because it's what's MS does.

They said Bluray wasn't that great since the 360 didn't have it.They said HDMI wasn't better when the 360 came out only component. They say that being able to swap out the HDD with any brand any capacity HDD isn't better since MS doesn't allow it.They say the all the free games Sony gives you on PSN isn't that great since MS doesn't give them new games with Xlive.They said the web browser wasn't useful since the 360 didn't have it.They said. Whatever MS does and limits them to is the best and necessary. I call this wearing X-goggles. It makes for Lame Lemming Logic (LLL).

Pot meet kettle? Cows have been doing that very same thing for the past decade. Don't act like it's only lemmings you hypocrite

And that would be YOUR opinion and as we know YOUR opinion =/= fact hypocritical cows always acting like their opinion == fact. NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!! It doesn't

No, they said BR wasn't needed and it wasn't. Get your facts straight before spouting shit out of your mouth

No one said any such thing cow. HDMI wasn't the standard at that time and I believe wasn't finalized. Once again cows mixing up the facts

Liar liar pants on fire. Nobody said MS HDD was better than having the choice to swap it out for something bigger and cheaper. Facts and cows don't go together

Are you seriously that stupid? PSN games aren't free since ,you know, you have to pay a fee for the service. Wow and you call lem logic dumb

Umm no they said the web browser was slow and clunky.

Kind of like charging for online is bad and rumble in controllers is so last gen? How about touting features to sell a console then slowly taking all said features away by the end of the gen? Rational people would call that PS-goggles. Suckers for Sonys Lies ( SSL)

rtechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105  Edited By rtechie
Member since 2003 • 87 Posts
@mr-powers said:

How can you defend AA batteries? Shit is wack son.

AA is just a package. The reason there aren't lithium ion AAs is due to voltage and amperage issues (LI requires regulation). If your device draws tons of power (like a laptop or smartphone) you need LI to cover that draw. Most controllers (except the DS4 and wiiU controller) are basically remote controls, and don't draw enough to require LI.

This is why your brand new 2013 TV remote uses AA or AAA batteries. Your remote doesn't need that expensive LI battery pack when AA batteries will do just fine.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

lems excusing no rechargeable batteries in 2013, oh god.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

lems excusing no rechargeable batteries in 2013, oh god.

This may come as a shock to you but there are rechargeable AA batteries, in fact some are of higher mAh as the Lion in the DS4 and give juice much longer .

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#108 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I've had the same Dualshock 3 for over 3 years now. The only reason I don't have my original DS3 is because I was robbed and had to replace my all of my electronics. The DS3 I have holds a charge for several days of non stop usage.

Hopefully the DS4 proves to be equally reliable.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#109 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Gue1 said:

removing 5 or 7 screws to replace the battery on a Dualshock only takes like 2 minutes at most and it'll last you for years! You can't be this ignorant.... lol

I'm talking about swapping batteries. With the DS3, you have to wait for the controller to charge before using it again (unless you are one of those people with a 15' USB-miniUSB cable). You can't just "swap" out the DS3 pack every time you want to keep playing and the batteries are dead.

It's a personal preference, and having the option of using batteries, rechargeable batteries or a rechargeable battery pack is better than only a pack. The only ignorant people here are those trying to justify less options being better.

That's a good point.

I usually have more than one controller anyways, so one loses charge and the other one comes out to play.

With the DS4 I just use my phone charger to charge the controller as I'm using it when it gets low.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

@l34052 said:

I cant believe people are STILL defending the use of seperate batteries whether its the official ms battery or their own rechargable AA's.

Why do you think mobile phones use recharble batteries inside them?? its convenient thats why and they can supply a good amount of power for that life could you imagine running a cellular phone with AA batteries whether they're rechargable or not, of course you wouldnt its a ridiculous suggestion especially in 2013/14 so why would a (supposed) state of the art cutting edge device choose to use such backward tech? because there are people like all of those in this thread that defend the practice and carry on giving MS their money.

I think its hilarious picturing all of these people sitting around with their handfulls of AA batteries waiting for the dam things to die so they can prise them out and stuff new ones in 'til the next time and they need to do it again.....LOLOL

I feel similar. It feels so odd to have to use AAs.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

I think MS has the better strategy. Make low scoring games no one wants to play = never have to change batteries.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

For those bitching about the cord, here:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=8643&seq=1&format=2

Not sure who plays games for more than 8 hours at a time anyways.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@mrxboxone: That makes no sense, why would I un-charge my controller for a year?