which game was the most revolutionary for its time?

• 165 results
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@funsohng: Don't get your panties in a bunch.....your tears aren't going to change a thing. Square DID innovate with their FF games back in the day and that includes FF7.

Of course they innovated and they deserve applause for reinventing the wheel with every sequel but I agree with funsohng, there's nothing particularly revolutionary about Final Fantasy VII.

It was particularly magical though. :(

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts
@ominous_titan said:

E.T. The extraterrestrial

revolutionary in shit.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@funsohng: Don't get your panties in a bunch.....your tears aren't going to change a thing. Square DID innovate with their FF games back in the day and that includes FF7.

Of course they innovated and they deserve applause for reinventing the wheel with every sequel but I agree with funsohng, there's nothing particularly revolutionary about Final Fantasy VII.

magical =/= revolutionary.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265

@funsohng said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I don't see what that has to do with what I said.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By funsohng

@Storm_Marine said:

@funsohng said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Because the whole line of discussion was about whether FF7 was revolutionary or not?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-598fc45371265

@funsohng said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@funsohng said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Because the whole line of discussion was about whether FF7 was revolutionary or not?

I still don't see what inspired you to respond like that when I didn't contradict anything Aljosa said.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@ominous_titan said:

revolutionary in shit.

It defined the crap of the industry. And there are shit ton of games today that take inspiration from it like big riggs and ride to hell.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#108  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

Tetris
Super Mario Bros
Street Fighter 2
Sim City
Wolfenstein 3D
Virtua Fighter
Quake
Super Mario 64

And many others.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 funsohng

@Storm_Marine said:

@funsohng said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@funsohng said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I still don't see what inspired you to respond like that when I didn't contradict anything Aljosa said.

ughhhhhhh

ok, whatever. You were very clear about you were saying thank you.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

1. Doom

2. Dune/Warcraft/Starcraft

3. Morrowind (PC)

4. Ultima/Everquest/WoW

5. Diablo

6. Deus Ex

7. Civilization

8. SimCity

9. Mario

10. Zelda

11. Final Fantasy

12. Fallout

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Sure it did....and it sold a lot of PS' because of it.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
@Gamerno6666 said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@ominous_titan said:

revolutionary in shit.

It defined the crap of the industry. And there are shit ton of games today that take inspiration from it like big riggs and ride to hell.

Big riggs was so bad, it was funny. ET is just shit. How dare you compare the two.

No idea what ride to hell is. Do I want to know?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@ominous_titan said:

revolutionary in shit.

Big riggs was so bad, it was funny. ET is just shit. How dare you compare the two.

Well watch inside gaming's playthrough of it.

Loading Video...

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#114  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I agree. I give it props for its exciting use of visuals, its many cool story elements (like the Fight Clubby-bit that Jag refered to), and for popularizing the genre, but beneath the flashy exterior, it was very much the same basic FF format and it could be argued that its writing, in some ways, regressed. To me, a revolutionary title is something like Mario 64, a game that completely rethought how platformers are structured. FF7 was actually kind of safe in comparison.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Doom, Quake, GTA 3, Gran turismo 1, Unreal tournament

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#116  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

What in particular do you think is so revolutionary about FFVII? And by revolutionary I mean: what did it do that was drastically different from previous entries? The term revolutionary, by its very nature, implies a drastic disruption of the status quo.

(I'm not seeing what sales have to do with anything tho; there's no evidence that FFVII sold because it was revolutionary: there are a variety of different reasons why it might have sold so well besides being revolutionary.)

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Wolfenstein 3D

I remember when I was a kid and my dad was raving about how the guys in his office were playing this. My dad never cares about video games, ever. He was so pumped up about this one that he took me to his work for a day just so I could sit at a computer and play it all day.

Super Mario 64

This was the first game that made me feel like I was in a fully realized 3D world. Sure, there were 3D games before it, but this was the first one to do it completely right and set up the foundation for all 3D games to come after it.

Metal Gear Solid

This game was the first game to really create a cinematic, dialog heavy gaming experience with tons of voice acting. It was a true testament to the new storage capacity of the CD-ROM and no game before it had really captured that feeling.

Pokemon Red/Blue

The collection aspect of this JRPG let the world know that people like collecting them all in their games.

Super Mario Bros.

This one needs no explanation.

Zelda Ocarina of Time

Z-targeting was very innovative and set the foundation for how to do combat in 3D games, something that hadn't been figured out previously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#118 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

You're gonna have to post some proof because I just don't see it.

And Final Fantasy VII sold well because it was an incredible looking game with fun game play and a huge scope. Its success was largely dependent on advances in CD technology (hence the move from the N64 to PSX), too.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Dota on warcraft 3.. brought us a whole new genre

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

Half Life

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Dongkey kong Jr (btw still have this although pic below is from internet url)

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#122 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Mario 64 is probably the most revolutionary title for its time.

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

Space Invaders

Wolfenstein 3D, Doom

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans

Ultima series (RPG)

Prince of Persia

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#124  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts
@blueinheaven said:

Not really we can all see defining points in videogame history. Why has nobody mentioned space invaders? Some games DID change how we view entertainment. There actually was a time when videogames weren't a 'thing'.

Edit: just noticed the huge space invaders screen shot lol. I fail epicly at being pretentious.

I was being a bit pretentious myself by posting that huge Space Invaders screenshot... because no one else was mentioning it.

Glad to see it getting more mentions now. Space Invaders was arguably the most revolutionary video game of all time.

@funsohng said:

So FF7 is the game that started the whole "cinematic" trend? And people call it the "elevation of storytelling" in the medium, not "that fucking game that started the whole cinematic-bullshit-cutscenes-galore bandwagon"?

Let me give a filmic example of "elevation of storytelling," since you all seem to be so enamored in the concept of "cinematic-ness". Basically, the revolution came when Griffith (or Porter, but I personally think he was more transitional figure) used cinematographic close-ups and elaborate editing within scenes to tell the story. Before then, stories were presented like a theatre production, but captured on camera, with dialogues replaced by intertitles, and not shown through visual representation.

Same with gaming. The true elevation of storytelling should be not when it barely copies another medium in a very rudimentary fashion (compared to its source of inspiration), but when it actually tells story through the medium's actual strength, i.e. the ability for the audience to directly interact. If narrative gaming has one thing to learn from cinema, it's the philosophy of focusing on the medium's strength.

Also your point about the whole psychological storyline is not "storytelling," it's just the narrative content.

Popularizing the cinematic trend is still revolutionary in itself. Before FFVII came along, cinematic games were seen as a joke, especially after the Sega CD era, when the industry had enough of FMV gimmicks. But then FF7 came along and used FMV to actually enhance the game rather than just use it like a gimmick. For example, the way in which you move around the 3D polygon characters over an animated FMV background was a revolutionary technique at the time. The script was also huge for its time, with a total word count exceeding most novels and rivalling even the LOTR trilogy when taking into account all the different possible dialogues and side-quests through the game. After FFVII, cinematic games began to be taken seriously. It doesn't matter whether it's a good or bad thing. Many have argued that the likes of Wii Sports and COD4 have had a negative influence, but that doesn't change the fact that they were hugely influential last gen.

But if you meant interactive storytelling, then FFVII did elevate that too in various ways. For example, the Aerith death scene I was referring to earlier. A big reason it was so effective was because of how much the player invested into her development. After spending dozens of hours developing her, it made her death feel like a huge loss to the player. Also, the death scene itself wasn't just cinematic, but also incorporated gameplay. Before her death, the player is struggling to save her, preventing Cloud from being mind-controlled into killing her. After the player finally succeeds in saving her, the player's agency is then denied by a cut-scene that kills her off. The struggle to prevent her death, followed by the denial of the player's agency, and then the huge loss felt after investing so much time and effort into developing her, all added up to make it gaming's most famous death scene.

Other ways in which FFVII used player interaction to elevate the storytelling include things such as the dating sim elements, where the way you respond to and react to fellow party members influenced who Cloud goes on a date with and various other character dialogues along the way. If you chose to focus on dating Aerith, the impact of her death felt even bigger (and there was also even a bromance option with Barett). Another exapmple is the way in which the game starts off in a mostly linear fashion in the closed environment of Midgar, before opening up into a huge (for its time) open world, giving both the characters and the player a sense of being freed from an almost prison-like, dystopian cyberpunk city. And the many different interactive mini-games along the way were also integral to the story, with interactive mini-games often taking the place of dialogues or cut-scenes. The combination of big-budget cinematics with interesting narrative content and player interaction all added up to an overall package that forced the wider industry take notice of the medium's storytelling potential.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Really surprised no one has said Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Jag85

@Gamerno6666 said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@ominous_titan said:

revolutionary in shit.

E.T. also deserves some props for the rise of Nintendo... E.T. got rid of Atari for them.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#127 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@intotheminx said:

Really surprised no one has said Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

Resident Evil is definitely worth a mention as is Alone In The Dark probably the first 3D survival horror game on PC.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I'd like to argue that Goldeneye revolutionized First Person Shooters on Consoles. I can't name one FPS other than Goldeneye that can even come close to the likes of Quake or Doom on PC.

Bungie had more "sophisticated" FPS games such as Marathon at the same time as Doom. However, being on the Mac first meant they never got the attention they deserved. A number of SVGA games also appeared on the Mac first back when most PC games were still VGA.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#129 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Halo: CE is pretty high on the list for me.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By funsohng

@Jag85: I don't think understand my point exactly. Being a movie is not revolutionary in gaming perspective.

Also, "investing in character" is not something I see as "interactive storytelling."

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#131  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Top-3 are probably World of Warcraft, Doom and Grand Theft Auto III in terms of overall influence on the industry and attempts to recreate their success.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#132 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I'd like to argue that Goldeneye revolutionized First Person Shooters on Consoles. I can't name one FPS other than Goldeneye that can even come close to the likes of Quake or Doom on PC.

Bungie had more "sophisticated" FPS games such as Marathon at the same time as Doom. However, being on the Mac first meant they never got the attention they deserved. A number of SVGA games also appeared on the Mac first back when most PC games were still VGA.

I purely stated Goldeneye for the sake that it was the first FPS (I can think of) that worked for consoles.

PC at the time had better FPSs sure (like Marathon or Quake), but Goldeneye to me feels like the precursor to games like Call of Duty on consoles today.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Final Fantasy 7 being revolutionary as far as story-telling is concerned is much like saying Call of Duty is revolutionary as far as gameplay is concerned.

I mean sure, they were both popular, and numerous imitations of their ideas were created and are still being created to this day. That definitely speaks to the games being revolutionary.

But it's really a detriment to gaming as a whole. It's more devolutionary than anything.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Ultima.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

Freelancer

Resident Evil 4

Crysis

Half-Life 1&2

Mario 64

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#137 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I think that Pong, Tetris, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64, Zelda, Zelda Ocarina Of time, Final Fantasy VII, Wolfenstein 3D, Quake, Warcraft, Diablo, World Of Warcraft, Street Fighter II Turbo, Mortal Kombat II, Virtua Fighter, Halo Combat Evolved, Elder Scroll

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Jag85

@funsohng said:

@Jag85: I don't think understand my point exactly. Being a movie is not revolutionary in gaming perspective.

Also, "investing in character" is not something I see as "interactive storytelling."

These are just two elements of the overall package (although it would be wrong to call FFVII a "movie", since it has more in common with books than with movies), along with the choices you make in dialogues along the way (even if they have very little influence on the main plot), the dating sim elements (determining who Cloud goes on a date with and various other dialogues), the dozens of interactive mini-game events that are part of the main story (taking the place of dialogues or cut-scenes), etc. These are interactive storytelling elements, since they require player interaction to progress the story.

It wasn't quite at the stage where dialogue choices determine how the main story unfolds, but it paved the way for later RPG attempts at interactive storytelling where dialogue choices play a bigger role in the main plot. For example, BioWare mentioned how their games were in some ways a response to FFVII's limited choices and how they wanted to make those choices actually matter in the main plot (although how well BioWare actually succeeded in this goal is debatable).

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
@Gamerno6666 said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@ominous_titan said:

revolutionary in shit.

Well watch inside gaming's playthrough of it.

Loading Video...

Well, that was an odd, shitty, hilariously bad game. I don't know what to say other than that.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#140 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

Either Zelda: A Link to the Past or Chrono Trigger

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#141  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

Super Mario 64

/thread

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Call of Duty Ghosts

dat dog and fish in Ghosts tho.....revolutionary

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 funsohng

@Jag85 said:

@funsohng said:

These are just two elements of the overall package (although it would be wrong to call FFVII a "movie", since it has more in common with books than with movies), along with the choices you make in dialogues along the way (even if they have very little influence on the main plot), the dating sim elements (determining who Cloud goes on a date with and various other dialogues), the dozens of interactive mini-game events that are part of the main story (taking the place of dialogues or cut-scenes), etc. These are interactive storytelling elements, since they require player interaction to progress the story.

It wasn't quite at the stage where dialogue choices determine how the main story unfolds, but it paved the way for later RPG attempts at interactive storytelling where dialogue choices play a bigger role in the main plot. For example, BioWare mentioned how their games were in some ways a response to FFVII's limited choices and how they wanted to make those choices actually matter in the main plot (although how well BioWare actually succeeded in this goal is debatable).

So how does that make it revolutionary? I don't understand.

You know what came out the same year as FF7? Fallout. Fallout, however, is not considered revolutionary in narrative gaming despite its far more sophisticated nonlinear storyline than FF7. Why? Because it's a spiritual remake of Wasteland (in fact, people complained Fallout wasn't as deep as Wasteland). When did Wasteland come out? 1987.

And now you are telling me FF7 is revolutionary in storytelling because it had interactivity? Seriously?

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#144  Edited By CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

My heart is telling me Ocarina of Time, but my body is telling me Wii Sports

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#145 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@arkephonic:

Nope . MGS wasn't the first cinematic/voice acting games . Even the first Wing Commander had cutscenes back in 1988. WC 2 was the first game to use full voice acting back in 92. Wing Commander 3 had over 2 hours of cutscenes and had multiple endings and it was released in 94. Way before MGS.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#146 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

As fucked up as the game is itself, Street Fighter 2 World Warrior.

Also Devil May Cry for action

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#147  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@ghostwarrior786:

Wolfenstein 3D

HAlf Life

Diablo

Ultima Online

The legend of Zelda

GTA 3

And for sure the first arcades in 70s that i dont know shit about them .

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@arkephonic:

Nope . MGS wasn't the first cinematic/voice acting games . Even the first Wing Commander had cutscenes back in 1988. WC 2 was the first game to use full voice acting back in 92. Wing Commander 3 had over 2 hours of cutscenes and had multiple endings and it was released in 94. Way before MGS.

Metal Gear Solid is on a different level. Cinematic isn't only boiling down to voice acting. MGS was groundbreaking in this regard. Never had a game combined elements of film and game into one package so well before.

Avatar image for saturatedbutter
SaturatedButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 SaturatedButter
Member since 2014 • 2289 Posts

As the most inspirational game of the 21st century, Minecraft does deserve a mention in this. Like it or not, it changed the landscape of gaming in the modern era more than any other game of this century.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Jag85
@funsohng said:

@Jag85 said:

@funsohng said:

So how does that make it revolutionary? I don't understand.

You know what came out the same year as FF7? Fallout. Fallout, however, is not considered revolutionary in narrative gaming despite its far more sophisticated nonlinear storyline than FF7. Why? Because it's a spiritual remake of Wasteland (in fact, people complained Fallout wasn't as deep as Wasteland). When did Wasteland come out? 1987.

And now you are telling me FF7 is revolutionary in storytelling because it had interactivity? Seriously?

Did Fallout have cinematics? Or dating sim elements? Or interactive mini-games? Or memorable character relationships? Or a death scene that made people cry? Again, you're focusing too much on individual components and ignoring the overall package. It was the overall package of FFVII, taking elements from different genres and media, adding some new elements of its own, compiling all these elements into a single unique package, and telling a compelling story for its time, that made it revolutionary, like other revolutionary games that came before and after it.