which game was the most revolutionary for its time?

• 165 results
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#51 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The N64 gave birth to many iconic games that inspired many games in the modern era.

Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye are 3 of the most referred games in history.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Pong.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

The N64 gave birth to many iconic games that inspired many games in the modern era.

Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye are 3 of the most referred games in history.

Mario 64 is arguably the only revolutionary title out of those. It is a rare title to be had.

There's a lot of games being mentioned which simply make no sense being here.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LegatoSkyheart

@Heirren said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Mario 64 is arguably the only revolutionary title out of those. It is a rare title to be had.

I'd like to argue that Goldeneye revolutionized First Person Shooters on Consoles. I can't name one FPS other than Goldeneye that can even come close to the likes of Quake or Doom on PC.

Ocarina of Time I would argue too because of Z targeting, but I'll agree with you on one thing, Mario 64 is the most Revolutionary title out of the entire N64 library.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Heirren

To be fair TC did say "...Created/Defined/Changed..."

So pretty much any game thats even nailed a minor accomplishment will make the cut.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heirren said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I'd like to argue that Goldeneye revolutionized First Person Shooters on Consoles. I can't name one FPS other than Goldeneye that can even come close to the likes of Quake or Doom on PC.

Ocarina of Time I would argue too because of Z targeting, but I'll agree with you on one thing, Mario 64 is the most Revolutionary title out of the entire N64 library.

Revolutionized? I'm not sure I am disagreeing, but the FPS genre was there, already. Was it that much of a difference or was it just a step in a new direction? I'd say more evolutionary than revolutionary. Ocarina is one that can go either or, imo. The Z Targeting is a solid point and one that I'd make, myself, but the foundation of movement was put in place by Mario 64. Now, again, there are things like the 3d aspect of dungeons and puzzle solving that I'd say are revolutionary.........................okay right now I'm going to agree on Ocarina.

I also agree on the N64, in general. The most revolutionary game console that will ever see the light of day.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 LegatoSkyheart

@Heirren said:

Revolutionized? I'm not sure I am disagreeing, but the FPS genre was there, already. Was it that much of a difference or was it just a step in a new direction? I'd say more evolutionary than revolutionary. Ocarina is one that can go either or, imo. The Z Targeting is a solid point and one that I'd make, myself, but the foundation of movement was put in place by Mario 64. Now, again, there are things like the 3d aspect of dungeons and puzzle solving that I'd say are revolutionary.........................okay right now I'm going to agree on Ocarina.

I also agree on the N64, in general. The most revolutionary game console that will ever see the light of day.

Eh, sure we'll go with Evolutionary. Glad we both agree that the N64 had a lot going for it.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I'll rock the boat a little with a modern game.

Shadow Of Mordor. It may not be the greatest game, it may not even be revolutionary way to play, but there nemesis system with how the enemies level up when time progresses if you've done nothing. How enemies remember you after they've killed you (even if it's just a small simplistic phrase), the fact they level up and become a more difficult enemy, it may seem very simple and not very out of the ordinary, but it actually is, and for me looking at that system, it's a system which needs to be delved deeper and become more complex and actually become a standard in most games, at least a system similar to that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#59  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19509 Posts

Space Invaders (1978, Arcade)

Not only did this game create the shoot 'em up genre and set the basic template for most action games released since then, but it was also responsible for transforming video games into a mainstream hobby and multi-billion dollar industry. The huge impact this game had on video games cannot be understated.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#60 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Doom, Mario 64 and Halo CE.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

A few come to mind:
- Super Mario Bros. on NES
- Mario 64
- Zelda OoT
- Pong
- Wii Sports
- Halo 2 (mainstream online gaming for consoles)
- Tetris
- And one of the earlier games like Spacewar!

There are plenty more, but which one is the "most revolutionary" is a bit hard to judge.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178833 Posts

@funsohng said:
@charizard1605 said:

then we also have Final Fantasy VII that elevated storytelling in videogames to an all new level.

I don't know about this.

Whether you like the series or not it did elevate RPGs along the way.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#63  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Street Fighter 2 was crazy popular when it came out, pretty much gave birth to the fighting game scene, or at least helped it a lot.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Street fighter 2/pac man/shenmue

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

A shit ton of them..

King's Quest (iirc the first graphical adventure game, might be wrong, though if not, then definitely one of the first. Be that as it may, it was one of the most influential adventure game that led to the creation of the standard adventure game formula)

Pong/Pac-Man/Space Invaders/Asteroids/various popular arcades from the 70s/early 80s (led to the foundation of the industry of video games as a whole)

Street Fighter II/Virtua Fighter (one built upon its shitty prototype and created the standard 2D fighter genre, the other created the 3D fighter genre)

Wizardry/Ultima - created and defined the video RPG/JRPG (Dragon Quest took heavy inspiration from Ultima)

Wolfenstein 3D/Doom - (one created the foundation, the other caused an explosion of clones that led to the mainstay of the genre and forever popularity of it)

Ultima Online/Everquest (streamlined and essentially created the standard MMORPG model that was later polished in World of Warcraft)

DOTA has also deserved a spot in my book. Created one of the most popular video game genres on Earth, with LoL and DOTA 2 being the juggernauts of gaming.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jag85
@jg4xchamp said:

@charizard1605 said:

then we also have Final Fantasy VII that elevated storytelling in videogames to an all new level.

By telling it the same fucking way it had always been told?

Except it didn't. Certainly not its cinematic presentation, quality CGI, and high production values, backed by a huge budget. And certainly not its main plot, which was almost like a Fight Club before Fight Club.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

I'd have to go with

• Morrowind
  • Kotor
  • Doom
  • FF7
  • MGS1
  • Oot (not even in my top 3 LoZ games but it brought the franchise to 3D)
  • Diablo 2

This although add GTA III, Quake, Half-Life, Space invaders and pong.

Solid list

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@funsohng said:
@charizard1605 said:

I don't know about this.

How did it exactly elevate storytelling?

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#70 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

Ride to hell of course.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Battlezone

I don't know if it's the first game to be played with a 3D environment. But, it's the first I played at a time when most other games are sidescrollers.

Another is Populous on the Commodore Amiga. Forerunner of modern RTS games. It pre-dated even Dune 2 and Warcraft.

Still another is Sim City on the Mac.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#72 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heirren said:

Goldeneye didn't even remotely come close to stacking up to Quake or Doom.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@jg4xchamp said:

On freaking Consoles?

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Uncharted.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#75 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Ride to Hell Retribution. Those sex scenes are ahead of their time!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Jag85

@funsohng said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@funsohng said:
@charizard1605 said:

I don't know about this.

Like I said above, "cinematic presentation, quality CGI, and high production values, backed by a huge budget." In other words, it helped redefine the presentation of storytelling in video games.

As for the plot itself, there was that infamous death scene. This was the first time there was a public outcry over a character's death in a video game, with many admitting they cried at that scene while others tried in vein to prevent her death or revive her. Such a reaction over a character's death in a video game was unheard of back then. Also, like I said above, it was almost like "a Fight Club before Fight Club." Its other big plot twist, regarding Cloud's delusional psychological disorder, was somewhat groundbreaking in its own right, something that most gamers seem to have forgotten. But from there, we can see a progression to similarly psychological stories like MGS2, Silent Hill 2, BioShock, etc.

And lastly, believe it or not, but countless game critics in the late 90's were actually hailing FFVII as the best video game story ever told, with some even hailing it the greatest game ever made. It's easy to look back on it today and dismiss it all as exaggerated hyperbole, and point to other games at the time with better stories, but that doesn't change the fact that this was how the game was largely perceived in the late 90's. And as a result, the wider industry began taking video games seriously as a viable storytelling medium. In other words, it elevated the public perception of video game storytelling.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#78 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@jg4xchamp said:

On freaking Consoles?

The **** does it matter? They were completely outclassed and pedestrian in comparison. At least with something like Mario64 the reach is 3D gaming period, and platformers period. The other shit you have to make an asterisk for consoles. Wolfenstein? no asterisk. Half Life? no asterisk.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

For me personally a couple spring to mind: Elite & Mercenary back in the early 8-bit days. Elite place in the history books is well documented (I think), however Mercenary for me was the first truly open-world game I'd encountered, and from what I understand it was the first game that you could fly to a distant space station in (maybe on) a piece of cheese. I could however be mistaken.

Fondly remembered:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@jg4xchamp said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heirren said:

Didn't Goldeneye the more open ended fps genre? I don't recall other fps games stressing that you could play the way you wanted. Not only that but I also don't remember the fps genre stressing ai and hit boxes. I could be wrong but I was a big pc gamer back then and it was mostly just twitch shooters(which I really like btw).

Avatar image for xCocoTheMonkeyx
xCocoTheMonkeyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 xCocoTheMonkeyx
Member since 2011 • 425 Posts

Super Mario 64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Also, I'd put Gran Turismo on this list.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Wolfenstein 3D (the original one). Tomb Raider, the game that brought 3D to the masses. Not the first but the most eye catching. Ultima. Dungeons and Dragons. Pong and Tetris both have claims to fame. All the games Nintendo 'immortalised' were done by someone else on a C64 or something even more basic. Nintendo didn't 'invent' anything, they just looked at the other stuff and made it much better. Just IMO of course.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

A lot of good games mentioned from arcade classics to modern, but somehow one game wasn't dropped yet.

I'll say it, even if it brings some heat:

Metal Gear Solid

---

Edit, scratch that. One person listed MGS which I caught just now, I was looking for Metal Gear Solid, but it was under MGS.

Since I bothered to edit I'll list a few more:

Adventure, Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3D, Command and Conquer, Populous, Super Mario Bros 1, Space Invaders, Grand Theft Auto III, Tetris, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy 7, Pac-Man, Street Fighter 2, Pitfall, Metroid, Pong, Mario 64, and Everquest.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45055 Posts

this is where everyone gets be pretentious

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Battlezone

I don't know if it's the first game to be played with a 3D environment. But, it's the first I played at a time when most other games are sidescrollers.

This reminds me of Spectre VR.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By blueinheaven

@SolidGame_basic said:

Not really we can all see defining points in videogame history. Why has nobody mentioned space invaders? Some games DID change how we view entertainment. There actually was a time when videogames weren't a 'thing'.

Edit: just noticed the huge space invaders screen shot lol. I fail epicly at being pretentious.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SolidTy

@SolidTy said:

A lot of good games mentioned from arcade classics to modern, but somehow one game wasn't dropped yet.

Metal Gear Solid

---

Edit, scratch that. One person listed MGS which I caught just now, I was looking for Metal Gear Solid, but it was under MGS.

Adventure, Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3D, Command and Conquer, Populous, Super Mario Bros 1, Space Invaders, Grand Theft Auto III, Tetris, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy 7, Pac-Man, Street Fighter 2, Pitfall, Metroid, Pong, Mario 64, and Everquest.

@blueinheaven said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Not really we can all see defining points in videogame history.

Why has nobody mentioned space invaders?

Some games DID change how we view entertainment. There actually was a time when videogames weren't a 'thing'.

I did. ^

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By blueinheaven

@SolidTy said:

@SolidTy said:

Metal Gear Solid

---

Adventure, Return to Castle Wolfenstein 3D, Command and Conquer, Populous, Super Mario Bros 1, Space Invaders, Grand Theft Auto III, Tetris, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy 7, Pac-Man, Pitfall, Metroid, Pong, Mario 64, and Everquest.

@blueinheaven said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Some games DID change how we view entertainment. There actually was a time when videogames weren't a 'thing'.

I did. ^

Yep noticed it too late sorry pal.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 funsohng

@Jag85 said:

@funsohng said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@funsohng said:
@charizard1605 said:

I don't know about this.

Like I said above, "cinematic presentation, quality CGI, and high production values, backed by a huge budget." In other words, it helped redefine the presentation of storytelling in video games.

As for the plot itself, there was that infamous death scene. This was the first time there was a public outcry over a character's death in a video game, with many admitting they cried at that scene while others tried in vein to prevent her death or revive her. Such a reaction over a character's death in a video game was unheard of back then. Also, like I said above, it was almost like "a Fight Club before Fight Club." Its other big plot twist, regarding Cloud's delusional psychological disorder, was somewhat groundbreaking in its own right, something that most gamers seem to have forgotten. But from there, we can see a progression to similarly psychological stories like MGS2, Silent Hill 2, BioShock, etc.

And lastly, believe it or not, but countless game critics in the late 90's were actually hailing FFVII as the best video game story ever told, with some even hailing it the greatest game ever made. It's easy to look back on it today and dismiss it all as exaggerated hyperbole, and point to other games at the time with better stories, but that doesn't change the fact that this was how the game was largely perceived in the late 90's. And as a result, the wider industry began taking video games seriously as a viable storytelling medium. In other words, it elevated the public perception of video game storytelling.

So FF7 is the game that started the whole "cinematic" trend? And people call it the "elevation of storytelling" in the medium, not "that fucking game that started the whole cinematic-bullshit-cutscenes-galore bandwagon"?

Let me give a filmic example of "elevation of storytelling," since you all seem to be so enamored in the concept of "cinematic-ness". Basically, the revolution came when Griffith (or Porter, but I personally think he was more transitional figure) used cinematographic close-ups and elaborate editing within scenes to tell the story. Before then, stories were presented like a theatre production, but captured on camera, with dialogues replaced by intertitles, and not shown through visual representation.

Same with gaming. The true elevation of storytelling should be not when it barely copies another medium in a very rudimentary fashion (compared to its source of inspiration), but when it actually tells story through the medium's actual strength, i.e. the ability for the audience to directly interact. If narrative gaming has one thing to learn from cinema, it's the philosophy of focusing on the medium's strength.

Also your point about the whole psychological storyline is not "storytelling," it's just the narrative content.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#91 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Tomb Raider on PS1 and GTA 3 on PS2 come to mind as revolutionary for their time.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By SolidTy

@blueinheaven said:

@SolidTy said:

@SolidTy said:

Metal Gear Solid

---

@blueinheaven said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I did. ^

Yep noticed it too late sorry pal.

It's all copacetic fellow Space Invader gamer. :)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178833 Posts

@funsohng: Don't get your panties in a bunch.....your tears aren't going to change a thing. Square DID innovate with their FF games back in the day and that includes FF7.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#94 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

Street Fighter 2 was crazy popular when it came out, pretty much gave birth to the fighting game scene, or at least helped it a lot.

I was waiting for someone to say this. SF 2 revolutionized competitive gaming, defined the arcade scene of the 90's and gave birth to one of the biggest genres of that era. Definitely deserves more credit than it is getting in this thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@funsohng said:

@Jag85 said:

@funsohng said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@funsohng said:
@charizard1605 said:

I don't know about this.

So FF7 is the game that started the whole "cinematic" trend? And people call it the "elevation of storytelling" in the medium, not "that fucking game that started the whole cinematic-bullshit-cutscenes-galore bandwagon"?

Let me give a filmic example of "elevation of storytelling," since you all seem to be so enamored in the concept of "cinematic-ness". Basically, the revolution came when Griffith (or Porter, but I personally think he was more transitional figure) used cinematographic close-ups and elaborate editing within scenes to tell the story. Before then, stories were presented like a theatre production, but captured on camera, with dialogues replaced by intertitles, and not shown through visual representation.

Same with gaming. The true elevation of storytelling should be not when it barely copies another medium in a very rudimentary fashion (compared to its source of inspiration), but when it actually tells story through the medium's actual strength, i.e. the ability for the audience to directly interact. If narrative gaming has one thing to learn from cinema, it's the philosophy of focusing on the medium's strength.

Also your point about the whole psychological storyline is not "storytelling," it's just the narrative content.

Surprised to read something like this on the forum. This goes along with what Miyamoto was talking about in regards to games being overly cinematic. Adding too much story/detail/whatever it may be can take away from the player/world connection. There's a gap that needs to be filled by the player in some form. That is the unique aspect of games. I remember as a kid playing Super Mario Bros on the NES. I wasn't playing a side scroller or platformer--I was somehow there in the mushroom kingdom.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By funsohng

@LJS9502_basic said:

@funsohng: Don't get your panties in a bunch.....your tears aren't going to change a thing. Square DID innovate with their FF games back in the day and that includes FF7.

and I'm asking how, cuz the examples given by these people are just pathetic. What they essentially are saying is that FF7 made game more like movies, instead of bringing the narration through gameplay into a new territory. That to me seems like a step sideways, if not a step backward. If you wish to convince me otherwise, please, feel free to do so.

Also, it's not like I hate FF or Square, FF6 is one of my favourite JRPGs of all time (if not THE favourite), and definitely one of the games I hold dear to my heart. Yes, I think SE nowadays can't really make a good game to save themselves (thought FF14 seems to be doing pretty well now), but I'm not stupid enough to think that makes their older games bad. Hell, I don't even think FF7 is a bad game. I just don't think introduction of cutscenes constitutes an "elevation" in storytelling in a medium I love. That's like saying Star Wars films elevated storytelling with its great special effects.

p.s. In fact, cutscenes are not even invented by FF7, the FMV cutscenes existed in PC gaming before FF7 was in stores (Wing Commander, C&C, etc.).

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 funsohng

@Heirren: Well I did say the same thing in that Miyamoto thread too.

I am a cinema studies student myself, and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how gaming is unique from it, and needs to break from its chain. Because cinema became an art by exactly doing that against theatrical productions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#98 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Of course they innovated and they deserve applause for reinventing the wheel with every sequel but I agree with funsohng, there's nothing particularly revolutionary about Final Fantasy VII.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@funsohng said:

@Heirren: Well I did say the same thing in that Miyamoto thread too.

I am a cinema studies student myself, and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how gaming is unique from it, and needs to break from its chain. Because cinema became an art by exactly doing that against theatrical productions.

I could go on and on. I don't fully agree with the last statement but no big deal. Ironically, "cinema" is sort of going through the same things at the moment. There are next to no critical reviews anymore and there isn't a general understanding of the craft that make up the whole. A certain set of 3 films come to mind...

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

E.T. The extraterrestrial