What year did you realize PC gaming was superior to consoles?

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What year did you realize PC gaming was superior to consoles? (123 votes)

1980's (Chuck Yeager, Oregon Trail, Lemonade Stand, Word Muncher, Carmen Sandiego) 11%
1990's (Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft, Sim City, Doom, Quake, Half-life, CS, TF, Everquest) 45%
2000's (Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, Dota, WoW, Half-life 2, CS-GO, TF2) 27%
2010's (Hearthstone, LoL, Dota 2,Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, best version of all console games) 15%

What year was that made you go, "PC is the best place to be"?

Was it early or is now with all the games going on it or when was it for you around?

Did you go back to consoles and was it a nightmare transition? I remember having to go back to my console like ps1 and ps2 and I was just like a huge hassle and I hated it...it just doesn't felt right. With this generation of consoles I feel like its even worse like now they feel like mini PC's that are just inferior in every way, before I was getting different experiences when I turned on my SNES or n64 I got diff experience from PC it was a dream to get away from my PC.

With the XB1 and the PS4 I am not dreaming when I'm playing on those just constantly thinking why use these things anymore, this the first generation this is happened where I just don't want to use them over PC, they didn't push graphics hard enough like the 360 did, the PS3 also pushed hardware, my gaming PC at those times couldn't compete with either of those 2 consoles, and its just not the case with these budget consoles they have made at a hefty 400 dollar price tag.

• 
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#101 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

Just this gen, but it happened in 2014. The lack of a lot of decent retail exclusives and shit hardware did it, disappointed in the lack of any real generational leap after an 8 year 7th gen. I just can't fuckin be bothered with them anymore. And games and DLC seems more expensive than ever.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

That depends if Spectrum's classed as a PC or not, if so then 1981. Other than that I choose 1990's because I built my first IBM Compatible in 1990. A super fast 486DX 33 :)

It's only PC if IBM is involved.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@Heirren said:

Today I'd have to agree. When I do buy a ps4 game I have to plan ahead. I don't play games as much as I used to so when I buy I do so because it is then that i'd like to play the game. It seems minor but those lengthy installs/updates are somewhat aggravating.

I hate to be the one that has to break this to you, but going with a PC isn't going to get you away from the installs and updates. At least with the PS4 you can usually start playing the game as it installs.

cesarpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 cesarpo
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

The year I was able to play The Last of Us on my awesome gaming PC.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Captainqwark10 said:

@GarGx1 said:

That depends if Spectrum's classed as a PC or not, if so then 1981. Other than that I choose 1990's because I built my first IBM Compatible in 1990. A super fast 486DX 33 :)

It's only PC if IBM is involved.

That's pretty much the way I see it, PC's are IBM compatible units (that moniker is so antiquated now :) ) which is why I chose the 1990's

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#107 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@soulitane: That code always doesn't work with new games (although I do prefer gmg over steam anyday of the week)

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#108 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

Prior to playing Warcraft 3 and WoW, I never really considered pc superior. I just thought it was another platform. However, after I played those two games, I began to realize the limitations of consoles. I saw that consoles, I saw that controllers could never allow a player the level of control needed for a game like Warcraft 3 and WoW, and that consoles devs would rarely try to create an experience with as much depth and variety as wow. I honestly consider WoW as my number 1 game of all time just do to the longevity of the game. It was just as fun as many other amazing games, but the amazing experiences lasted for years. I have never played a game for as long as WoW. After playing Blizzards, I began playing games like CiV, as well as pc fps games which showed me how poorly fit controllers were for playing shooters. This stuff all happened from a period of 2008-11. So I pretty much realized just how superior PC was by 2011. I got my first gaming pc set up, a gaming laptop, in 2010. I finally built my first custom built pc myself over last summer.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@asylumni said:

@MirkoS77 said:

I don't understand how anyone can say PCs don't offer the better experience. I just (finally) hooked up my PC to my TV tonight. Booted up Arkham City and am using an Xbone controller, and not only can I say it's better, it's objectively so. If you have a rig capable, you get higher resolutions, better frame rates (this really adds to playability more than you'd think), more detailed textures and geometry, anti-aliasing, Physx for cloth/hair/fur simulation, further draw distances, particle effects, and far reduced loading times along with customization and mods. On the con side, you have to deal with unpredictability, tweaking, and crashes. Consoles have convenience and stability to their name, no argument there.

But all things being equal, once the same game is running side by side on both platforms, it's asinine to claim PC is not an objectively superior experience in many more ways than one. I'm no Hermit, nor do I look down on consoles or those that enjoy them. I enjoy them as well for exclusives. But PC is the way the go for the best gaming money can buy, and it can be hard to go back to the console version after having played it on a capable rig prior. Preference is subjective, but technical quality certainly is not.

Probably because people compare the whole experience, not just how the games run. The unpredictability, tweaking and issues can be interesting for a while, but it eventually gets old and it's just a hassle. Consoles also have the benefit of a single contact when hardware misbehaves. If a piece of the console goes bad, there's one number to call, one company to deal with. When a part of a PC goes bad, it's up to you to figure out which part and what company to contact or what part to replace. For some, these hassles aren't worth the possibility of the better visuals or faster frame rates.

Yea I can understand that, and this was the main reason I decided on consoles initially. Actually, the reason I chose them was because I didn't enjoy spending hours cramped up in front of a (relatively) small monitor on an office chair, which kills my pinched nerve for long sessions. Consoles were mostly a deal of comfort to me. Being able to kick my legs up with a big ass TV on a comfy couch, I didn't mind conceding PC benefits because comfort was first. But ever since I finally got my rig hooked up to my HDTV with controller support, there is just no comparison.

In addition, console games are getting to the point where they are flirting with the line that people use to argue against PC gaming:

• console games are now being released, broken, buggy and incomplete (AC: Unity, Drive Club, Halo: MCC)
  • many have to deal with one day, massive patches
  • replacing the HDD is needed if someone is heavily into DD

I played consoles to avoid this. On a PC, these can be dealt with by physical replacement (granted you can replace a console HDD, but that goes against the argument) or by delving into config files. Usually they're pretty simple remedies a Google search will fix. On a console you have no such freedom, but you are nevertheless stuck with many of the same problems until a patch arises, all the while with less performance. And while you may see the whole unit failing as a strength, the failure of single components in a PC is what makes it great and ultimately saves you money. I do hear the hassle argument, but I also constantly hear many saying that the One and PS4 are nothing but low-end PCs, and there's an element of truth to be had in it. And if it's true, there's no argument to a console's favor aside from the community PSN and Live have built.

PC gaming is becoming a more attractive prospect the more consoles attempt to emulate them, and in this, I give Nintendo great credit in their attempt at distinguishing their platform. But as it is when push comes to shove, and all things are working properly on both a PC vs console, there is zero argument to be had as to which is the objectively better gaming experience. It's just a matter of whether you're willing to put in the little bit of extra effort to get there.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

As a child grows up and starts becoming a man he sees PC is superior.

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By 560ti
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Outside of superior BC, mod support and higher resolution/fps everything you said has a positive effect and a negative one

My GTX 970 was $332, that's literally the price of a whole console, hell you can get a Xbone and the MC collection for $349. Cheaper games? again that's depending on the game and if it's on sale, got to love paying $59 for a digital copy of a game

Price's on video cards aren't bad if you look around (I purchased a R9 290 which is like 10 precent slower than a gtx 970 and paid less than $200 brand new). Most of the R9 280s on the shelves where priced $160-180 and offer twice the performance as the consoles (R9 290 and 280s for half the price of the consoles isn't bad considering they smoke it and any above average CPU in the last 5 years is all you need to pair it with).

Cheaper games is almost always (GMG and physical copy preorders where all $50 or less, friend bought the physical for $40 )

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@asylumni said:

At least with the PS4 you can usually start playing the game as it installs.

Ah, bragging about a feature pioneered by PC (in, what, 2010?) as your chosen next-gen console's feature.

BTW, i used this feature with Odor1886 and TLOU:R and it's pretty shit. Constant stutters and sound clipping issues.

Also, PC has this thing called "automatic background updates".

Hopefully you'll get to brag about it next console generation.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#113 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

I was born console gamer

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#114 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Only got a pc That was capable of gaming in 2013, after that I've ignored consoles realizing pc gaming is better

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 asylumni

@R10nu said:

@asylumni said:

At least with the PS4 you can usually start playing the game as it installs.

Ah, bragging about a feature pioneered by PC (in, what, 2010?) as your chosen next-gen console's feature.

BTW, i used this feature with Odor1886 and TLOU:R and it's pretty shit. Constant stutters and sound clipping issues.

Also, PC has this thing called "automatic background updates".

Hopefully you'll get to brag about it next console generation.

Not bragging, just pointing out that it's really not that bad with installs on the PS4. But, yeah, waiting 2 minutes to play a game on the PS4 is TOTALLY the same as waiting 20 minutes waiting for it to download enough on a PC.

BTW, the PS4 does automatic updates as well.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Probably in the 90's sometime.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 asylumni

@MirkoS77 said:

@asylumni said:

Probably because people compare the whole experience, not just how the games run. The unpredictability, tweaking and issues can be interesting for a while, but it eventually gets old and it's just a hassle. Consoles also have the benefit of a single contact when hardware misbehaves. If a piece of the console goes bad, there's one number to call, one company to deal with. When a part of a PC goes bad, it's up to you to figure out which part and what company to contact or what part to replace. For some, these hassles aren't worth the possibility of the better visuals or faster frame rates.

Yea I can understand that, and this was the main reason I decided on consoles initially. Actually, the reason I chose them was because I didn't enjoy spending hours cramped up in front of a (relatively) small monitor on an office chair, which kills my pinched nerve for long sessions. Consoles were mostly a deal of comfort to me. Being able to kick my legs up with a big ass TV on a comfy couch, I didn't mind conceding PC benefits because comfort was first. But ever since I finally got my rig hooked up to my HDTV with controller support, there is just no comparison.

In addition, console games are getting to the point where they are flirting with the line that people use to argue against PC gaming:

• console games are now being released, broken, buggy and incomplete (AC: Unity, Drive Club, Halo: MCC)

I played consoles to avoid this. On a PC, these can be dealt with by physical replacement (granted you can replace a console HDD, but that goes against the argument) or by delving into config files. Usually they're pretty simple remedies a Google search will fix. On a console you have no such freedom, but you are nevertheless stuck with many of the same problems until a patch arises, all the while with less performance. And while you may see the whole unit failing as a strength, the failure of single components in a PC is what makes it great and ultimately saves you money. I do hear the hassle argument, but I also constantly hear many saying that the One and PS4 are nothing but low-end PCs, and there's an element of truth to be had in it. And if it's true, there's no argument to a console's favor aside from the community PSN and Live have built.

PC gaming is becoming a more attractive prospect the more consoles attempt to emulate them, and in this, I give Nintendo great credit in their attempt at distinguishing their platform. But as it is when push comes to shove, and all things are working properly on both a PC vs console, there is zero argument to be had as to which is the objectively better gaming experience. It's just a matter of whether you're willing to put in the little bit of extra effort to get there.

I disagree. I think if you need to qualify the statement with when 'all things are working properly' then there is an argument to be had. If you're being objective, you wouldn't just ignore the issues in starting the game. And I would say the issues I've run into on PC are worse than any issues I ran into on consoles. While there are broken games released for both, there are far more issues with PC games than their console counterparts. For example, the latest has been the rebooted Prince of Persia that refused to run at 1080P with an i5 and HD 6870. I looked for solutions and found I could uninstall every C++ iteration, reboot, install the C++ the game needs, reboot again, and then finally play. I decided I'd rather just play, even if I had to settle for 720P. I've never had anything like that with a console version of a game.

I would also not base arguments on the lame exaggerations of fanboys.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#118 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Diablo 2 did it for me in 2000. Then I found Baldur's Gate 1 which changed how I looked at games. Then right after that, Baldur's gate 2 came out and I was blown away. I still played every console, but it wasn't the same after D2 released.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@heretrix said:

I never had a NES because at the time I was completely into the Amiga. It's the only major console that I never owned.

So to answer the question, way back when.

Uh... the Amiga was a million times better anyway :) I LOVED my Amiga.

To answer the TC, I started gaming on a PC (adventure games mostly, there wasn't much else available) and kind of grew with it as it went from the worst gaming machine in the world to eventually the best.

Along the way I owned most of the big consoles and still go from PC to console at a whim even now though PC is obviously ever present it's just the specs and hardware that change.

I love ALL games systems yes even the latest Mariobox.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#120  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

graphics wise, around the time of crysis. Before that i really couldnt tell because graphics werent that good looking to start off with. a less jaggie version of a blocky character wasnt my idea of graphical supermacy...

games wise, its really a matter of taste. i think all consoles and pc have games have incredible libraries ( i know this gen isnt that great yet, but i think it will eventually)

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

RTCW multiplayer got me hooked to pc gaming.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 R10nu

@asylumni said:

But, yeah, waiting 2 minutes to play a game on the PS4 is TOTALLY the same as waiting 20 minutes waiting for it to download enough on a PC.

1. Sony servers are slow as shit, so it'll take your PS4 20 minutes to download what would take 2 minutes on PC.

2. PC does have streaming downloads too. It's where this feature was freaking born, you know.

@asylumni said:

Did you intentionally skip the "background" part?

No, PS4 doesn't download updates while you're playing a game.

I rember trying to play some Second Son while the damn GTA5 Bundle PS4 was downloading an update for GTA5 for literally an hour (2 minutes, you say?).

NOPE.

It seizes all activity when a game is running.

PC doesn't.

cimbom1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 cimbom1993
Member since 2013 • 130 Posts

When i first saw this in 2007

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 asylumni

@R10nu said:

@asylumni said:

But, yeah, waiting 2 minutes to play a game on the PS4 is TOTALLY the same as waiting 20 minutes waiting for it to download enough on a PC.

1. Sony servers are slow as shit, so it'll take your PS4 20 minutes to download what would take 2 minutes on PC.

2. PC does have streaming downloads too. It's where this feature was freaking born, you know.

@asylumni said:

I rember trying to play some Second Son while the damn GTA5 Bundle PS4 was downloading an update for GTA5 for literally an hour (2 minutes, you say?).

NOPE.

PC doesn't.

Yep, pop the disk in a PS4 and in a couple minutes, it's ready to play. And the PS4 does download in the background and I've never had it prevent me from playing a game while it was downloading an update for another. I have no idea why you had such issues. Nowhere did I claim this as a Sony innovation, I simply pointed out to someone that the PS4 had a feature that made game installing a bit less annoying and evidently even this was too much for your rage against Sony or the pride you have in your PC.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#126  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

For me it was in the late 80's on the Amiga 1000 and 2000 units my dad brought home for the family. Amiga completely trashed anything I'd seen on NES with games like Defender of the Crown, Operation Wolf, Rescue the Embassy, Stunt Racer, and Earl Weaver Baseball.

Defender of the Crown. NES
Defender of the Crown. NES

Defender of the Crown. AMIGA
Defender of the Crown. AMIGA

Operation Wolf. NES
Operation Wolf. NES

Operation Wolf. AMIGA
Operation Wolf. AMIGA

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 R10nu

@asylumni said:

Yep, pop the disk in a PS4 and in a couple minutes, it's ready to play.

I already refuted that. That's a lot of bull and we both know it.

An hour of downloading patches, for a game that came pre-installed on a console.

Get it through your skull.

Occasionally it does take a few minutes, most of the time you're downloading shitloads of patches.

@asylumni said:

this was too much for your rage against Sony or the pride you have in your PC.

That's why i have a PS4, right?

Get your head out of your ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Better? Never really cared to look at things like that but what made me take attention to the format?

Probably this.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#129 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

The release of GeForce 8800 with 480 mm² size chip started a new class of large GPU size template for the PC and game consoles wasn't able to match that.

Current PC GPU flag chips from AMD and Nvidia still follows GeForce 8800's chip size and energy consumption template.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 MirkoS77

@asylumni said:

@MirkoS77 said:

I disagree. I think if you need to qualify the statement with when 'all things are working properly' then there is an argument to be had. If you're being objective, you wouldn't just ignore the issues in starting the game. And I would say the issues I've run into on PC are worse than any issues I ran into on consoles. While there are broken games released for both, there are far more issues with PC games than their console counterparts. For example, the latest has been the rebooted Prince of Persia that refused to run at 1080P with an i5 and HD 6870. I looked for solutions and found I could uninstall every C++ iteration, reboot, install the C++ the game needs, reboot again, and then finally play. I decided I'd rather just play, even if I had to settle for 720P. I've never had anything like that with a console version of a game.

Getting games to function properly is really a separate issue from whether console gaming is better than PC gaming when both are operating as intended. Your argument is analogous to saying, "The guy who can ride a $600 bicycle flawlessly makes that bike better than the $10,000 one with a guy who can't ride it". But get two riders of equal capability? It's not even a contest. That's not an elitist or condescending statement, it's a factually correct one.

Besides, remember Skyrim's PS3 save file bug that essentially broke the game? If we're going to argue by the metric of qualifiers, consoles aren't exempt from these issues either (as my bolded/underlined denotes, I didn't just say PC) though admittedly they are rarer, and when they arise there's no recourse available to players until the developers put a patch out, which may be a matter of days or even weeks, because they are closed systems. With a PC, if a problem arises you can usually fix it within a matter of minutes because you have a community of people out there with similar builds that encounter the same issues, for which someone's usually found a solution.

It's a rare occasion I can't get a game on the PC to run, and even 95% of those cases arise from compatibility issue of much older games (as noted with your example) that came out 5-10 years prior. Have I encountered a new game that wouldn't no matter what I tried? Sure, but extremely seldom. And because of that (and exclusives), consoles will always have a place on my shelf as a last resort, as well as eventually becoming retro-gaming machines.

But IMO, PC is where the best gaming can be found, and the benefits far outweigh the headaches.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#131  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I never felt the PC was superior TBH. The consoles always offered a totally different experience free from administrative red-tape and chock full of unique, high quality experiences... in the PS2 days this was. I don't believe anyone with a wide interest in games could have sincerely believed the PC was objectively better with the huge number of innovative, zany and just plain awesome console exclusives back then.

But as time has gone on the landscape has changed. Japanese developers have largely retreated from the home console space (ignoring Nintendo, but TBH Nintendo are almost their own thing) leaving platform agnostic western developers in their wake. In essence consoles don't have the glut of high quality, unique software anymore. I mean look at last year, what came out? This year? Looks like almost everything is being delayed.

Add to that recent frustrations with sub-par performance, buggy games out of the box and the need for patches even on consoles these days and such as you have a load of red-tape that was previously the domain of PCs. TBF it's gotten worse on PC as well with higher game complexity meaning more things that can break - but at least before the console was the alternative to that.

The question to me them becomes this: if the PC offers (largely) the same games and same overall janky experience, why not opt in to a system where I can at least use hardware to get around some of the issues I have (performance) whilst enjoying games at potentially higher quality? The sad truth is I err on the side of PC these days not because of the strengths of the platform (which have largely not appealed to me) but because consoles themselves have failed to deliver a console experience this generation. And that sucks because the PC doesn't offer that console experience either.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Articuno76

@R10nu said:

@asylumni said:

I remember trying to play some Second Son while the damn GTA5 Bundle PS4 was downloading an update for GTA5 for literally an hour (2 minutes, you say?).

NOPE.

PC doesn't.

Are you using a wire? Because the PS4 pretty much dies in terms of download speed with wireless (when with a strong connection right next to the router). Seriously, you'd be better off using string than the wireless on that thing. The PS4 DOES feature background downloads. Last I checked up to 3 at once (albeit cutting the download speed of each by a third to achieve it).

I'm not sure if this was added for an a firmware update or not but I've definitely downloaded demos, updates and even games whilst playing other games before and have done so routinely without so much as thinking about it. I can only assume you ran into an issue with the server being so slow to respond it paused the download - but that's not normal (although Sony's server periodically fucking up for no apparent reason unfortunately is...).

Slow...ish downoad speeds are though. I can get games on Steam averaging 18-20MB/s. On the PS4 its more like 6MB\s average. And on the Xbox One... well I don't know since the last time I used it didn't display an average on screen.

The stuttering you're experiencing during install-and-play is also likely due to some freak HDD defragmentation or an issue that needed patching rather than a flaw with the implementation itself. I've not had that issue with any game installing whilst playing (both digital and physical). I have however experienced stuttering trying the same on the PC (I've not tried with an SSD where this might not be a problem though) which makes sense to me as the PS4 has resources tucked away specifically to handle things like install-and-play whereas the PC doesn't.

I have experienced issues with sound being strange through the DS4 headphone connector though. Even with games that are entirely installed. With Infamous is was so bad at one point that I switched over to using the TV's headphone port instead.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#133 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Is Gamespot so desperate for activity that they have to let these types of threads repeat themselves without end?

Yes, you spent lots of money on your PC, you have insecurities and you need to feel good about yourself - we get it.

How about talking about how fun it is to play Madden or NHL on your PC with your friends. Or how much fun it it to play your PC while you're riding the bus or taking a dump.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Articuno76

@osan0 said:

around the time FF8 came out.

i had a PS1 and played it a lot. then my dad decided to get a PC but initally we didnt have any games for it. just encarta (remember encarta? :P)

Your entire post was a massive nostalgia rush for me. I remember actually being excited for Encarta. Even installing it using the run command prompt the way the manual told me to.

But just be thankful you weren't playing the PC version of FF8 (as I was) cos at the time it was an atrocious port (Gamespot gave it a 6/10 IIRC). Seriously, people who complain about poor ports these days have NO idea how bad ports used to be. And back then you couldn't just hop online and quickly fix a game. People were using download managers back then just to cover 30MB files!

These days truly irredeemable ports are few and far between. Generally speaking if a game gets a PC version it's fairly safe to say it will be alright.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 asylumni
@MirkoS77 said:

@asylumni said:

Getting games to function properly is really a separate issue from whether console gaming is better than PC gaming when both are operating as intended. Your argument is analogous to saying, "The guy who can ride a $600 bicycle flawlessly makes that bike better than the $10,000 one with a guy who can't ride it". But get two riders of equal capability? It's not even a contest. That's not an elitist or condescending statement, it's a factually correct one.

Besides, remember Skyrim's PS3 save file bug that essentially broke the game? If we're going to argue by the metric of qualifiers, consoles aren't exempt from these issues either (as my bolded/underlined denotes, I didn't just say PC) though admittedly they are rarer, and when they arise there's no recourse available to players until the developers put a patch out, which may be a matter of days or even weeks, because they are closed systems. With a PC, if a problem arises you can usually fix it within a matter of minutes because you have a community of people out there with similar builds that encounter the same issues, for which someone's usually found a solution.

It's a rare occasion I can't get a game on the PC to run, and even 95% of those cases arise from compatibility issue of much older games (as noted with your example) that came out 5-10 years prior. Have I encountered a new game that wouldn't no matter what I tried? Sure, but extremely seldom. And because of that (and exclusives), consoles will always have a place on my shelf as a last resort, as well as eventually becoming retro-gaming machines.

But IMO, PC is where the best gaming can be found, and the benefits far outweigh the headaches.

The problem with your bike analogy is it is based on the user inability, not an inherent aspect of the bike. It would be more appropriate if the $10,000 bike required constant maintenance and spent 20 minutes in the shop before the rider could use it. Sometimes you don't want to tinker and tune or care about being the fastest; you just want to ride.

It's not that you can't get the games to run, it's that it's all too common for getting them to run is a process. Are you implying that there is an expiration date on games made for the PC? That you only have a short window to just be able to play a game? That doesn't seem very convenient to me. Barring the extremely rare example, I can pick up a console game from any year and it will run. Even your example is from a developer notorious for buggy software and only comes into play after dozens of hours of playing the game. Yeah, with PC you can usually figure out a solution, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. But another, lesser annoyance would be Bioshock Infinite that I just started. I tried setting it up with the included benchmark, but even medium presets gave horrible screen tearing, so I did it in game with FRAPS running. Then it also gave me a chance to change the mouse sensitivity so I adjusted it to where it felt good (I also turned off mouse acceleration). It was all good until the first combat started and the mouse movement changed to where it was jumping around making it hard to aim. So evidently, I need to undo the game adjustment and balance it out with the system settings. But hey, AMD has a gaming evolved program to help set up games. But instead of basing it off the 1080P screen I use for gaming, it keeps insisting I should use the resolution of my little 1024x768 monitor I have plugged in as a secondary display.

Then there's the hardware. I tried to replace an HD 3850 with my HD 6870 and even with the right slot, enough power and updated drivers for every chip on the Foxconn system board, it wouldn't work. No BIOS nor even successful POST. Communicating with Foxconn and the GPU manufacturer and replacing the GPU didn't help. Only recently was I able to actually start using it (since I couldn't return it once I cut the bar code off for the rebate) when I replaced the system board, CPU and RAM. But then the RAM didn't run right and I had to figure out if it was a problem with the RAM (which required making a boot disk to test), the memory controller in the CPU, or if it was a flaw in the system board. (Spoiler - it was the system board.)

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Articuno76

@asylumni said:

Then there's the hardware. I tried to replace an HD 3850 with my HD 6870 and even with the right slot, enough power and updated drivers for every chip on the Foxconn system board, it wouldn't work. No BIOS nor even successful POST. Communicating with Foxconn and the GPU manufacturer and replacing the GPU didn't help. Only recently was I able to actually start using it (since I couldn't return it once I cut the bar code off for the rebate) when I replaced the system board, CPU and RAM. But then the RAM didn't run right and I had to figure out if it was a problem with the RAM (which required making a boot disk to test), the memory controller in the CPU, or if it was a flaw in the system board. (Spoiler - it was the system board.)

I can relate to this as I've had my own hardware headaches. Sure, issues arise on console as well, but when they do it's rarely the case that I feel like console gaming on the whole is a tease because of it. In some ways not being able to do anything about an issue (other than returning the game) is actually a relief. I've had my own share of staying up into the wee hours of the night trying to fix some pesky issue simply to get into the game.

...and then there are times when the game I got just SINGS. It runs and plays beautifully and for the few hours I'm playing that game all is forgiven.... yeah, PC gaming is a bit of a love-hate relationship. Sadly the negative experiences colour my overall feelings towards it far more than the positive, even knowing that the positive experiences actually outweigh the negative.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45122 Posts

It's not superior.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By R10nu

@Articuno76 said:

Are you using a wire? Because the PS4 pretty much dies in terms of download speed with wireless (when with a strong connection right next to the router). Seriously, you'd be better off using string than the wireless on that thing.

Even with a wire, it doesn't even begin to touch my bandwidth cap.

While Steam, as well as Origin or Uplay or Battle.net easily max it out.

And PS3 was even worse.

@Articuno76 said:

The PS4 DOES feature background downloads. Last I checked up to 3 at once (albeit cutting the download speed of each by a third to achieve it).

I'm not sure if this was added for an a firmware update or not but I've definitely downloaded demos, updates and even games whilst playing other games before and have done so routinely without so much as thinking about it. I can only assume you ran into an issue with the server being so slow to respond it paused the download - but that's not normal (although Sony's server periodically fucking up for no apparent reason unfortunately is...).

Well, i got my brother a PS4 this december and we were sitting there waiting for GTA5 to download its patches and it warned us that it would stop if we try and play some Injustice instead of just sitting on our asses.

Maybe it was patched in later, i didn't bother checking since.

@Articuno76 said:

The stuttering you're experiencing during install-and-play is also likely due to some freak HDD defragmentation or an issue that needed patching rather than a flaw with the implementation itself. I've not had that issue with any game installing whilst playing (both digital and physical). I have however experienced stuttering trying the same on the PC (I've not tried with an SSD where this might not be a problem though) which makes sense to me as the PS4 has resources tucked away specifically to handle things like install-and-play whereas the PC doesn't.

Well, it's not like i can defragment my PS4's HDD, can i?

It happened with 2 games (i.e. all games that i played while downloading), with like 3 months between them, so it's not a one-off thing.

@Articuno76 said:

I have experienced issues with sound being strange through the DS4 headphone connector though. Even with games that are entirely installed. With Infamous is was so bad at one point that I switched over to using the TV's headphone port instead.

Yep, i did use the controller jack while playing.

Didn't even try using my TV speakers, they sound like absolute wank.

Maybe it's a controller jack issue, but it still an issue that wasn't fixed.

Never happened with fully installed games, though.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Articuno76

@R10nu said:

Yep, i did use the controller jack while playing.

Didn't even try using my TV speakers, they sound like absolute wank.

Maybe it's a controller jack issue, but it still an issue that wasn't fixed.

Never happened with fully installed games, though.

Defintely an issue with the sound transfer on the jack as the issue went away the very moment I switched over the the TV's headphone port. I'm guessing the controller was cheaped out on in some way as it's an issue I've had with multiple games and controllers (but not all). And certain games consistently trigger it worse.

Well, i got my brother a PS4 this december and we were sitting there waiting for GTA5 to download its patches and it warned us that it would stop if we try and play some Injustice instead of just sitting on our asses.

Maybe it was patched in later, i didn't bother checking since.

Background downloads have been implemented for ages. Well before GTA came out. And I've never seen a game force a stop. Does GTA download via it's own in-game client (do you have to be within the game) instead of over firmware? I'm guessing it's downloading within the game rather than genericaly, which explains why the download stops the moment you kill the in-game client the download relies on.

Most PS4 games don't rely on their own clients to push updates and patches (I know Destiny/FF14 do for example).

Well, it's not like i can defragment my PS4's HDD, can i?

Consider this: http://www.gadgethelpline.com/rebuild-sony-ps4-database/

As your issue isn't normal. I've used two different PS4s with almost two dozen games (and across 3 different HDDs) and I've not experienced additional performance hit/stuttering owing to the install-and-play feature, nor heard of anyone else that has. If it's not a HDD issue it may well be a firmware bug that sucessive updates have hopefully ironed out.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

During the summer of '69.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 MirkoS77

@asylumni said:
@MirkoS77 said:

The problem with your bike analogy is it is based on the user inability, not an inherent aspect of the bike. It would be more appropriate if the $10,000 bike required constant maintenance and spent 20 minutes in the shop before the rider could use it. Sometimes you don't want to tinker and tune or care about being the fastest; you just want to ride.

It's not that you can't get the games to run, it's that it's all too common for getting them to run is a process. Are you implying that there is an expiration date on games made for the PC? That you only have a short window to just be able to play a game? That doesn't seem very convenient to me. Barring the extremely rare example, I can pick up a console game from any year and it will run. Even your example is from a developer notorious for buggy software and only comes into play after dozens of hours of playing the game. Yeah, with PC you can usually figure out a solution, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. But another, lesser annoyance would be Bioshock Infinite that I just started. I tried setting it up with the included benchmark, but even medium presets gave horrible screen tearing, so I did it in game with FRAPS running. Then it also gave me a chance to change the mouse sensitivity so I adjusted it to where it felt good (I also turned off mouse acceleration). It was all good until the first combat started and the mouse movement changed to where it was jumping around making it hard to aim. So evidently, I need to undo the game adjustment and balance it out with the system settings. But hey, AMD has a gaming evolved program to help set up games. But instead of basing it off the 1080P screen I use for gaming, it keeps insisting I should use the resolution of my little 1024x768 monitor I have plugged in as a secondary display.

You are making it sound like nearly every PC game is giving you problems akin to your few examples you've brought up (which sound admittedly severe), and I think both you and I know that to blanket an entire platform in such a sentiment is being more than a bit disingenuous just because you've encountered a problem in one or two games. I've installed 11 from Steam over the past two days, with full controller support, hooked up to my TV, and have not run into one single problem.

Not one. I'm not saying problems don't arise, but they're not as common as you are making them out to be. If you're having problems so common as to not make the effort profitable to you, then you either are trying to run really old games on new hardware or new games on old hardware (which I've conceded will bring problems), or something else is going on. Current games on current hardware will rarely give you issue.

Also, are you implying there's not an expiration date on games made for the consoles in terms of convenience? As is, having/wanting to eventually disconnect old hardware from your TV, find storage space, then when you wish to play its games again, pull it and all its software out and hook it up after the new gen arrives? That's somehow not inconvenient, but PC gaming is? How so? Nintendo is the only one I'm aware of that still really utilizes BC. With a PC, usually it starts taking about 2-3 OS iterations and generational hardware leaps before any real serious compatibility problems begin popping-up.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@ProtossX the year that Uncharted, Last of Us, Infamous, Fire Emblem, Zelda, DKC, LBP, God of War, and Crash Bandicoot came to PC

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

The late 90's was where PC gaming started to make waves. It had the better hardware and everything. Despite that console games always defined the medium because PC is dog shit. Sorry... just slipped out :/

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#144  Edited By verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I tried PC gaming once a while back, I didn't like it too much, maybe my computer wasn't fast enough, but I had problems making the games look as good as they did on the PS3, without spending a fortune or tweaking everything to the point where I would get frustrated and just go back to playing a 3DS game.

I probably did it wrong, but I like console gaming better. Controllers are more comfortable for the games I like the most. If I was really into shooters, I would probably play on a PC since nothing beats the precision of a mouse.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By asylumni
@MirkoS77 said:

@asylumni said:

You are making it sound like nearly every PC game is giving you problems akin to your few examples you've brought up (which sound admittedly severe), and I think both you and I know that to blanket an entire platform in such a sentiment is being more than a bit disingenuous just because you've encountered a problem in one or two games. I've installed 11 from Steam over the past two days, with full controller support, hooked up to my TV, and have not run into one single problem.

Not one. I'm not saying problems don't arise, but they're not as common as you are making them out to be. If you're having problems so common as to not make the effort profitable to you, then you either are trying to run really old games on new hardware or new games on old hardware (which I've conceded will bring problems), or something else is going on. Current games on current hardware will rarely give you issue.

Also, are you implying there's not an expiration date on games made for the consoles in terms of convenience? As is, having/wanting to eventually disconnect old hardware from your TV, find storage space, then when you wish to play its games again, pull it and all its software out and hook it up after the new gen arrives? That's somehow not inconvenient, but PC gaming is? How so? Nintendo is the only one I'm aware of that still really utilizes BC. With a PC, usually it starts taking about 2-3 OS iterations and generational hardware leaps before any real serious compatibility problems begin popping-up.

I'm not trying to say it's every game I try, but it's not rare either. Looking back, I seem to have a critical issue maybe 2-3 times a year. But if you look in the forums for most games, you'll find similar issues. It's just part of the nature of the beast. You have dozens of different manufacturers making dozens of different parts leading to thousands of different combinations compounded by thousands of different software combinations on, in many cases, an OS renowned for poor software security (in this case, referring to the ease with which one program can muck with another). It's just impossible for a developer to account for everything. Even if everything works as it should, you still might have some tinkering to do in order to get the right balance of performance versus visual fidelity you prefer. None of this is a factor for consoles. I think if we're going to include possible performance and visual superiority (depending upon the PC set-up), then the possible hassles must be weighed into consideration as well. Therefore, it isn't a simple cut-and-dry, "PC is the best" inarguable answer, but more of a, "it depends". It depends on you're actual PC. It depends on how frustrated you get by critical errors and the effort it takes to resolve them. It depends, sometimes, on total luck of the draw.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#146 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5252 Posts

I do not care whether PC gaming is "superior" to console gaming. I am concern on the games that I enjoy which are often found in consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Good question

I realized it possibly with Sim City 4 and modding

It became a fact with Skyrim and modding

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#148  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

1988. my Apple II had games like nothing the intellivision, atari, or nes had to offer. games that actually took thought and interaction, unlike the button mashing consoles have always embraced. not much has changed today.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#149 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

@asylumni: most Steam and MMOs I've tried offer the same option to play while it is installing. you hit a certain point in the download and Play is available. is not some new feature that PS4 implemented.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 asylumni

@elessarGObonzo said:

@asylumni: most Steam and MMOs I've tried offer the same option to play while it is installing. you hit a certain point in the download and Play is available. is not some new feature that PS4 implemented.

I never said it was a new feature that Sony invented. Though I'm surprised it works for MMO's (since the install files usually lag behind the required updates for online games), I've been aware of the feature in Steam games for quite some time. I've also been aware that installing from a disk is much quicker than downloading from the internet. It's still a nice feature and still lessens the impact of a required installation so it's not as annoying as it was when the whole game needed to be installed before playing.