What is so great about Halo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

It's a good fps that happens to be the first of its kind on the console.

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
Addictive. The only game that was more addictive to me was probably Powerstone 2. Had to play just about everyday in College. Beat CE's Sp about 10 to 15 times. The only FPS I can say that about.
mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts
Addictive. The only game that was more addictive to me was probably Powerstone 2. Had to play just about everyday in College. Beat CE's Sp about 10 to 15 times. The only FPS I can say that about.waynehead895
dude, powerstone was freaking awsome, that game needs to be on XBL and PSN
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Halo is outdated. Halo CE was great for it's time but Halo 2 was average, maybe slightly above average where Halo 3 is sub-par, since it doesn't really do a whole lot to revolutionize the franchise.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 waynehead895
[QUOTE="mtron32"][QUOTE="CBR600-RR"]

The story sucks. The only time I play it is when me and 3 friends go online and play, just for fun..we all get in a vehicle and mess about, not compete for the highest place.

If you play the game by just killing and being serious it's so bad, everyone puts your shield down with that silly grenade and shoot you, or shoot you until your shield is down and beat you down. So silly. At least on COD4 you can actually kill the best player in the game.

this is why I played COD4 MP for an hour and went back to Halo3. All the noobs that couldn't get kills and got owned in Halo 3 RAN to COD4 and immediately started hating on Halo. Its so easy to get a kill in COD that any noob can get the drop on an experienced player whereas in Halo 3, that's not going to happen. And thats the way it should be, why reward people for being bad at the game? And to tell you how easy it is to win at COD4, when I played it for a couple hours last year online, I was a complete noob to the game and still managed to get first place 6 times, all while getting laughed at for having no rank. Loved the single player mode though.

So True. I'm no Champ at Halo but I know for fact my K/D ratio in CoD4 is far higher than it is in Halo. And I've been playing Halo since 2002.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 waynehead895
[QUOTE="waynehead895"]Addictive. The only game that was more addictive to me was probably Powerstone 2. Had to play just about everyday in College. Beat CE's Sp about 10 to 15 times. The only FPS I can say that about.mtron32
dude, powerstone was freaking awsome, that game needs to be on XBL and PSN

Yeah for my health's sake it better not be :lol: Seriously I spent over 150 hours on that game trying to get every item.
coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#207 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts
massive amounts of auto aim enable someone with absolutely no skill to run around and shoot people making them think they pwn at video games. the view of the screen is also awful. yup its great
CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!LittleHands134

But the storyline is ridiculously generic and overdone. You just take a very masculine, seemingly unkillable heroic main character, toss in some aliens, a plot to destroy earth, and then you pretty much have Halo. It's like basic blockbuster movies 101.

This is what makes me laugh most of the time. "TEH GENERIC STORY LINE" like that's even remotely a good point when 99.9% of shooters have garbage story lines anyway.

Nevermind the fact Halos is actually one of the better ones out there. You also got your facts wrong about the story so i guess it's not so generic. That unkillable, heroic "very masculine" character your talking about was one of many snatched from there parents at a young age and put through brutal training that killed many of them. If i remember right. So If you ignore the fact that the Chief isn't actually all that masculine at all hes just a dude in a suit..hes not running about slapping bums and going "yeeha" and that he nearly dies a couple of times in the games, along with the fact other spartans (i.e like him) have died countless times and hes one of a few that are left then you'd be right on the money about that.

Don't recall seeing an alliance of aliens before but hell toss in some aliens, you're right. They should of got original..threw in some boyscouts that where trying to active powerful ring like objects in space. Or giant ants. Oh wait they'd be considered aliens anyway cause they sure didn't come from earth. The point I'm trying to make is if your setting your game in space it's a bit hard NOT to have aliens.

Plot was never about destroying earth, that was not the goal of the prophets. Play the games first before claiming the story is generic.And if you're still insisting on arguing i'll just end with; generic doesn't get books, comics and films (hey they wanted to make one but bungie was very tight on what they could and couldn't do so it never went anywhere)

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
[QUOTE="coolmonkeykid"]massive amounts of auto aim enable someone with absolutely no skill to run around and shoot people making them think they pwn at video games. the view of the screen is also awful. yup its great

Yeah, auto-aim also needs to disappear in ODST, but i agree with the whole people cant play Halo and piss about too much on it, which is why i think a lobby system should be introduced where noobs like that can be booted. Why paly online, ruin other people's experience just because you're a noob who can't kill people, why!?!?
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#211 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38039 Posts
Right, Halo is not "the best FPS". There are "better". All of this comes down to what's best for you. And there is nothing wrong with Halo being anyone's favorite.
tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
Right, Halo is not "the best FPS". There are "better". All of this comes down to what's best for you. And there is nothing wrong with Halo being anyone's favorite. cainetao11
Well, there is, cos those people obviously aren't involved in the PC gaming world.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#214 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I am still confused how people think the Halo series has a amazing story.. It is chalked full of cliches and literally rips off numerous things from sci-fi classics like Alien 2 to where the marines and the Seargent are carbon copies.. Hell even the freaking drop ships hold some resemblence to the one in the movie.. The main character in the game has to be one of the most generic main characters I have ever seen where you had a out of body story with.. Halo 3 had a amazing multiplayer though, with great ranking and it had me glued with my friends.. The fact you could play 4 on the same tv all on ranked match was great.. Though the singleplayer was simply not fun what so ever, except to mess around.. Enemies arn't intimidating, teh convant as always say rediculous things in a comedic voice.. Master Chief is a stereotypical one man army with nothing unique about him what so ever.. Its a great game/series for a console fps, but a great story I think not.. If you are into backstory for sci-fi universes look at something the calbire of Warhammer 40k..
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Its okay I guess.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#216 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I don't consider abusing auto aim as fun. Built in aimbots on console games FTL

rgd51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 rgd51
Member since 2009 • 278 Posts
its a good game with a solid multiplayer mode but its far too overrated. its not as good as people make it out to be.
McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 McdonaIdsGuy
Member since 2008 • 3046 Posts
I just like Halo multiplayer .
Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts

What I like about Halo:

Incredible fun campaign mode when enjoyed with other people.

The action-pached gameplay with lots of explosions and vehicles :P

The music is awesome, and the story is interesting enough to make you keep playing

And of course, the highly addicitive, customizable and deep multiplayer.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
[QUOTE="coolmonkeykid"]massive amounts of auto aim enable someone with absolutely no skill to run around and shoot people making them think they pwn at video games. the view of the screen is also awful. yup its great

Hey! I like to over exaggerate too! Half Life 2's story is about a guy who forgets who he is and spends the whole game running around and having people remind him who he is by saying "Gordan Freeman?!" It's the best.
W_A_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 W_A_J
Member since 2008 • 63 Posts

I have to agree with the topic i'm afraid. While at first I quite enjoyed the sci-fi tone of Halo:CE, after a while I found the only reason I was playing through the game to its conclusion was because of the hype. The entire single player campaign felt sluggish and slow with bland graphics and monotonous gameplay. By the time the end came around I could'nt care less about the storyline or any of the characters. Multiplayer was fun, but there were more engaging games available on the pc at the time. I found Halo (and indeed Halo2 and 3) a huge dissapointment.

beekayjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 beekayjay
Member since 2008 • 1732 Posts
So over 12 pages of posts there seems to be a significant number of people who see Halo as fairly over-rated. My question is are people still looking forward to future installments of this series, or is this growing hype backlash enough to dmage the series' reputation?
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#223 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
So over 12 pages of posts there seems to be a significant number of people who see Halo as fairly over-rated. My question is are people still looking forward to future installments of this series, or is this growing hype backlash enough to dmage the series' reputation?beekayjay
As long as the games are good, why not? But I like the Halo games so I'm probably not credible enough to say that...
noswear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 noswear
Member since 2008 • 3263 Posts
Nothing much. The first one was good but not spectacular. Second two were average. Wars is laughable.
DAZZER7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#225 DAZZER7
Member since 2004 • 2422 Posts

Halo is outdated. Halo CE was great for it's time but Halo 2 was average, maybe slightly above average where Halo 3 is sub-par, since it doesn't really do a whole lot to revolutionize the franchise.Messiahbolical-

You dont rate a game soley on whether it revolutionises the industry :lol:

Halo 3 is rather similar to Killzone 2 in that it has very high production values, an enjoyable singleplayer, tons of game modes and content with a very indepth multiplayer. Thats why it gets the high reviews.

It is possible to have a stellar game that doesnt do anything new!

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#226 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

everything about master chief

coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 coltsfan4ever
Member since 2006 • 2628 Posts

I know this is a pretty late topic, considering most of the Halo games are already out. But what's the appeal? How did Halo get so popular in the first place? I understand that multiplayer is good, but what's so great about the storyline? It just seems like a generic FPS to me, everything about it screams generic.

Now I'm not asking how everyone can like Halo, because it's pretty obvious that it's one the most popular games to ever be released. What I'm asking is how did this get so popular when the first game came out? Before there was huge trains of Halo hype everytime something Bungie related came out.

LittleHands134

TC I been trying to figure out the exact same thing. I played a little bit of Halo and I was so bored. The game is just too generic and unintresting for me. But for some reason alot of people act like it's the Second Coming.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44328 Posts

The topic reminds me of the movie Back to School and the college professor that asks Rodney Dangerfield, what was so great about the great gatsby ? I'll give the same answer to this topic as Rodney did in the movie;

Umm......... Because it's Great ! :P :twisted:

TheHeroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 TheHeroism
Member since 2009 • 119 Posts

in a way, halo CREATED the FPS genre (not literally)

look at all the MASSIVE fps games this gen. LOOK at the FPS genre - how big it is.

all thanks to halo.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#230 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

It's Soulja Boys favorite game.ONLYDOD

i think i just found yet another reason to dislike this game.

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#231 g805ge
Member since 2009 • 474 Posts

[QUOTE="ONLYDOD"]It's Soulja Boys favorite game.joesh89

i think i just found yet another reason to dislike this game.

Lol!!!