What is so great about Halo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#151 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
It's exclusive to 360.
pi3m4ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 pi3m4ster
Member since 2008 • 522 Posts
[QUOTE="pi3m4ster"][QUOTE="CBR600-RR"][QUOTE="pi3m4ster"][QUOTE="CBR600-RR"][QUOTE="krunkfu2"][QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="CBR600-RR"]

If you play the game by just killing and being serious it's so bad, everyone puts your shield down with that silly grenade and shoot you, or shoot you until your shield is down and beat you down. So silly. At least on COD4 you can actually kill the best player in the game.

CBR600-RR

What?

Agreed, what're you babbling about CBR?

What I mean you can't really kill a nerd on Halo, they just take your shield down instantly and you're dead. On COD4 you are able to beat the nerd because it's easy to kill.

On Halo the gun you start with is really good, what's the point in that. You can't play Halo on your own, it's silly.

i.e "the nerd" was 100 times better than you and it actually SHOWED. instead of giving you bursts of randomness allowing you a free kill ala cod4...? also you actually start with the most AVERAGE weapon in halo 3... i am 110% certain you do not have a clue about halo

Oh yeah I don't have a clue even though I have played it.. Everyone kills using the friggin weapon you start off with, that's all you need, plus beatdowns..

So what if the nerd was 100 times better than me, all I want to do is have fun on games, not have a game freak who ruins the game by killing everyone all the time.

seriously... no. i have like 2000 games on halo 3 i THINK i would have a better formed opinion of how people play... hell if you played against nonstop guests and recruits... not my problem. also if the nerd is 100 times better than you... he should be doing 100 times better than you :lol: you just can't handlehalo... nub

Why don't you go boast to someone who cares if you're good or not. That's what you Halo players are like, "I pwn you, nub." pretty pathetic boasting over a game don't you think? It's no achievement. Do something better in your life.

yeah how dare i appreciate a game(!) seriously though you are in the wrong, stop talking about halo, you just said the ar is the best weapon in the game just quit while ur ahead

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts
[QUOTE="CBR600-RR"][QUOTE="pi3m4ster"][QUOTE="CBR600-RR"][QUOTE="pi3m4ster"][QUOTE="CBR600-RR"][QUOTE="krunkfu2"][QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="CBR600-RR"]

If you play the game by just killing and being serious it's so bad, everyone puts your shield down with that silly grenade and shoot you, or shoot you until your shield is down and beat you down. So silly. At least on COD4 you can actually kill the best player in the game.

pi3m4ster

What?

Agreed, what're you babbling about CBR?

What I mean you can't really kill a nerd on Halo, they just take your shield down instantly and you're dead. On COD4 you are able to beat the nerd because it's easy to kill.

On Halo the gun you start with is really good, what's the point in that. You can't play Halo on your own, it's silly.

i.e "the nerd" was 100 times better than you and it actually SHOWED. instead of giving you bursts of randomness allowing you a free kill ala cod4...? also you actually start with the most AVERAGE weapon in halo 3... i am 110% certain you do not have a clue about halo

Oh yeah I don't have a clue even though I have played it.. Everyone kills using the friggin weapon you start off with, that's all you need, plus beatdowns..

So what if the nerd was 100 times better than me, all I want to do is have fun on games, not have a game freak who ruins the game by killing everyone all the time.

seriously... no. i have like 2000 games on halo 3 i THINK i would have a better formed opinion of how people play... hell if you played against nonstop guests and recruits... not my problem. also if the nerd is 100 times better than you... he should be doing 100 times better than you :lol: you just can't handlehalo... nub

Why don't you go boast to someone who cares if you're good or not. That's what you Halo players are like, "I pwn you, nub." pretty pathetic boasting over a game don't you think? It's no achievement. Do something better in your life.

yeah how dare i appreciate a game(!) seriously though you are in the wrong, stop talking about halo, you just said the ar is the best weapon in the game just quit while ur ahead

Well I rarely ever see someone use a different weapon than that, usually when I play about half the players in the game just keep using that or the needler.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#154 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I know this is a pretty late topic, considering most of the Halo games are already out. But what's the appeal? How did Halo get so popular in the first place? I understand that multiplayer is good, but what's so great about the storyline? It just seems like a generic FPS to me, everything about it screams generic.

Now I'm not asking how everyone can like Halo, because it's pretty obvious that it's one the most popular games to ever be released. What I'm asking is how did this get so popular when the first game came out? Before there was huge trains of Halo hype everytime something Bungie related came out.

LittleHands134

The multiplayer, some of the most competitive onine. However i enjoyed halo 2's online more

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts
this thread is full of noob halo kids :roll:
chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!sSubZerOo

Not gonna argue about the others, but how the hell is Master Chief is a great character? He wears a motocross suit, has a monotone voice, never get to see his face nor do you ever see him make some kind of moral choices or personality.. He could be a robot under there and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Looks nothing like "motocross gear" (seriously wtf motox suit, ROFL) have you ever seen motox or superx ? And the lack of emotion MC shows is deliberately done, geez, its all part of his image.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

The passionate romance between Cortana and Master Chief, of course.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts
Good games, they are all very kiddy though. Big bright colours and Aliens with high pitched American kiddy accents.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#159 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

Best MP on consoles

Biggest Most epic SP on consoles

Most beefed up features on consoles

IMO best graphics on consoles.

Its one of my deffinitions of what a near perfect game should be. Dev's like guerilla and insomniac can learn a thing or to from bungie on how to create a great shooter.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#160 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

I know this is a pretty late topic, considering most of the Halo games are already out. But what's the appeal? How did Halo get so popular in the first place? I understand that multiplayer is good, but what's so great about the storyline? It just seems like a generic FPS to me, everything about it screams generic.

Now I'm not asking how everyone can like Halo, because it's pretty obvious that it's one the most popular games to ever be released. What I'm asking is how did this get so popular when the first game came out? Before there was huge trains of Halo hype everytime something Bungie related came out.

LittleHands134

Of course it seems standard now. Different when it was released. See Goldeneye.

saintpatrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 saintpatrice
Member since 2004 • 218 Posts

I don't understand the big success of Halo either. It came off as very generic to me when it came out and did still when Halo 3 came out. Might have something to do with the fact that i played Half Life 2 before Halo so *shrug*

It's not a bad game at all. No bugs, no glitches, I just don't see what the appeal is to make it such a huge success. But hey, like the Wii, more power to 'em for makin so much money!

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
amazing story and mp
JackDaniels121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 JackDaniels121
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts

It's the best shooter out there?

Yea, there will be someone who says "nu-uh, that's ignornant and you're a lemming!" but it's true. Fanboys just don't like that fact. Then they go to call starcraft the undisputed best game ever...

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

[QUOTE="daftdog"]LittleHands134

But the storyline is ridiculously generic and overdone. You just take a very masculine, seemingly unkillable heroic main character, toss in some aliens, a plot to destroy earth, and then you pretty much have Halo. It's like basic blockbuster movies 101.

You can cut down and generalize any game/movie/book plot and make it seem overly simple. Don't even try to pull that.

It's hardly generalizing, it's just the game. The backstory in Halo was very poor quality, Masterchief is the equivalent of a space age Mary Sue (Think Conan the Barbarian), story telling could have been so much better.

It reminded me of some teeny bopper action movie with exploding buildings and long haired rockstars flying through windows in motorcycles. While Halo didn't have any of those things per se, it still appealed to the same crowd for very similar reasons.

Don't knock the game if you don't want to pay attention.

Pay attention to what though? It's such a simple depthless plot that a four year old could understand it.

Its in red,theres no plot to do that, AND theres a reason why they are at earth in halo 2. selfowned, and theres a back story to everything in halo

Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
Counterstrike > Halo
981Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#166 981Master
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
Its plain fun. First time i played halo CE was with my cousins on their xbox playing co op lol it was fun as and playing the 2nd level (i think its called halo) where at the last part off the level when ur at the top off those rocks and the music picks up and all the enemies and ur marine allies are battleing it out was sweet.. 2 was so-so but fun co op and mulitplayer. 3 was cool but not as good as CE. Even wid the extra feature. memorable story and characters tho
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#167 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

It has a strange alluring charm that makes it insanely fun to play online or around friends.

That's why the SP is so much "worse" and "sucks". It's no worse than the average FPS, if not better, but it lacks the charm of the online play.

It's simply a game that is fun as anything to play.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

It's the best shooter out there?

Yea, there will be someone who says "nu-uh, that's ignornant and you're a lemming!" but it's true. Fanboys just don't like that fact. Then they go to call starcraft the undisputed best game ever...

JackDaniels121
And I could say the same about you for calling it the best shooter out there :?
Tobin09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Tobin09
Member since 2006 • 1579 Posts

Becouse...

"BOOM!! HEADSHOT!!!!What what punk huh? huh? Tea-bag..... oh..... Teabag....... In your face.....

OMFG SCREENWATCHER WTF?!?!?!! noob, I should have owned you your lucky....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Your dead, BIATCH!!!!1 Tea-bag......oh...ohgod... Tea-bag, in your face. OHHH WHAT
NOW!!!!! DOUBLE KILL!!!!!!! MMMMM Taste good doesn't it.... ohhh.

NOOOO YOU FRICKEN ZOMBIE YOU KILLED ME!!OHHHHHH.. Kill from the grave!!!BOOOOM... YES!!!!

WTF!!!!! THAT NOOB!!!! OMFG!!!! I should have killed you!!!!! HAX!!!!!

OHHHHHH!!!! OHHHHH! WHAT NOW!!!! DEAD!!!!!!!! TEA-BAG!!!!! MMMM!!!!

I just fricken OWNED you!!!! yea, uhh.

thesmiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 thesmiter
Member since 2004 • 701 Posts
halo:ce had fun single and multiplayer. the rest have really fun multiplayer. just all out crazy fun, with people driving warthogs around, picking up people on the enemy team, driving around honking. and then there's room for serious people too. its just crazy fun.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
I'm generally not a big fan of shooters. IDK their just not that great for me. Halo 3 multiplayer was excellent though. It's probably my favorite FPS multiplayer ever or at least on equal grounds with Golden Eye 64. Games like Crysis and Half-Life just aren't as fun. I haven't tried Call of Duty 4 yet but I just ordered it recently so maybe that could be better.
Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts
Well, I played Halo: CE and that (essentially) defined what console FPS' should be like. Then I played Halo 2 and that defined what online FPS' should be like on consoles, then Halo 3 just adds Forge, Theatre Mode, and an enhanced custom game mode making it a groundbreaking FPS on consoles, but generic on PC's.
Bentham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Bentham
Member since 2008 • 1154 Posts
I really enjoy Combat Evolved to this day--It's really better than both of its sequels combined.
wassup432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#174 wassup432
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

Halo is manly and hardcore and there are guns. That's what makes Halo great.

Jkjk but seriously, Halo is sucessful today because of the hype and how it lives up to its hype.

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts
it has a loyal online fanbase and give nerds a break from d'n'd to wield their gravity swords or whatever u call 'em
Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#176 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts

it has a loyal online fanbase and give nerds a break from d'n'd to wield their gravity swords or whatever u call 'emChiSoxBombers

dnd?

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

this thread is full of noob halo kids :roll:malikmmm

To anyone actually following this thread page by page it is inexorably clear that the "noobish" arguements lie soley with the Halo bashers.

thesmiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 thesmiter
Member since 2004 • 701 Posts

I'm generally not a big fan of shooters. IDK their just not that great for me. Halo 3 multiplayer was excellent though. It's probably my favorite FPS multiplayer ever or at least on equal grounds with Golden Eye 64. Games like Crysis and Half-Life just aren't as fun. I haven't tried Call of Duty 4 yet but I just ordered it recently so maybe that could be better.Zero5000X

i feel for you. maybe its the fact that i played halo 2 all the time with my friends, or just how crazy fun it is, i don't know. halo is just fun. the online is just crazy fun, with warthogs and people honking and t-bagging. and it appeals to hardcore and casual alike.

very fun game.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
It came out on the most powerfull console at the time, and was really poslished + xbox live, honeslty right place at the right time, could have happened with another game.
padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts
I don't know, the game just feel right, it seens like everything is where they should be...
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#181 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

I don't understand the big success of Halo either. It came off as very generic to me when it came out and did still when Halo 3 came out. Might have something to do with the fact that i played Half Life 2 before Halo so *shrug*

It's not a bad game at all. No bugs, no glitches, I just don't see what the appeal is to make it such a huge success. But hey, like the Wii, more power to 'em for makin so much money!

saintpatrice

It's not generic, but yeah... sometimes I wonder how the game has become so huge myself. It's a great game, and I love it... but I didnt understand how it shattered records when it came out and how people were acting like it's the second coming...

With that said, it's a great franchise, and it took me all too long to realise that.

feedingfrenzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 feedingfrenzee
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts
this thread is full of noob halo kids :roll:malikmmm
you can't really say that, i like halo but i don't act like "i owned u noobs" i just play the game to chill out for a while and i respect other games.
walter429

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 walter429
Member since 2007 • 392 Posts

You can cut down and generalize any game/movie/book plot and make it seem overly simple. Don't even try to pull that.

Verge_6

"Cut down and generalize" Metal Gear Solid, Seven, and American Pyshco... I dare you. Halo is fun... and had been done before... and "revolutionized" nothing. It just brought FPS's to consoles.

Ross_the_B0SS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Ross_the_B0SS
Member since 2008 • 1210 Posts

I despise the people who bash Halo because the Master Chief is a character with "no personality". Especially when those same people praise Half-Life.

EDIT: Whoa, old thread

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#185 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
major bumpage
NYrockinlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#186 NYrockinlegend
Member since 2008 • 2025 Posts
I don't know. I can't deny that it's a fun game, but it was nothing new. Just another run n gun game with blowing up and flashy stuff. It would've been great fun, but now, there's really no reason for me to want to pick it up now. Having too much fun with KZ2.:)
Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
It is a great game, but lemmings tend to blow it way out of proportion around here. It's one of many good shooters this gen, that's all.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#188 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

don't know what so great about it, i played all 3 of them, couldn't care enough to finish any of them

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
It is a great game, but lemmings tend to blow it way out of proportion around here. It's one of many good shooters this gen, that's all.Zoso-8
So is Killzone 2, but cows blow that out of proportion too. Its just something fanboys do.
n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
I played Halo 2 on xbox first day it came out and to be honest i didn't find anything special about it. Maybe it's because i didn't have live but perhaps it was just to boring for me.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#192 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

...Okay, this thread should end. Now.

Could you give me a reason as to why I'm wrong? The first Halo game was released in 2001, the novels then came after this. I might agree with you if the games were based off of the novels, but a novel that is made after the game is already released does not make the original game any better.

Here is the reason you are wrong....nobody's opinion can be right for anyone but themself. You don't like Halo. It's cool. I love Halo. The games, the books, I hope to get deeper into that universe through both.
TheHeroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 TheHeroism
Member since 2009 • 119 Posts
Best.Ever.
fatcat13sep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 fatcat13sep
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

personally the reason why i think it is so great because it was probably the first console game that has vehicles in it and it has 4 player coop matchmaking and local multiplayer also unlike practically every other game you do not die in literally 4 shots with a smg and it has a great story that gets you into it like a great movie and the multiplayer has things that every other console game doesn't have a map editor that you can post online and share with the halo community

Avatar image for coolnessmancool
coolnessmancool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 coolnessmancool
Member since 2005 • 1405 Posts

[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]

Best MP on consoles

Biggest Most epic SP on consoles

Most beefed up features on consoles

IMO best graphics on consoles.

Its one of my deffinitions of what a near perfect game should be. Dev's like guerilla and insomniac can learn a thing or to from bungie on how to create a great shooter.

thefsmlol

Too bad a lot of PC shooters completely **** on Halo in those categories and there is no "IMO BEST GRAPHICS" it doesn't even look close to some of the games on consoles.

did you notice he said on consoles not overall

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts
[QUOTE="CBR600-RR"]

The story sucks. The only time I play it is when me and 3 friends go online and play, just for fun..we all get in a vehicle and mess about, not compete for the highest place.

this is why I played COD4 MP for an hour and went back to Halo3. All the noobs that couldn't get kills and got owned in Halo 3 RAN to COD4 and immediately started hating on Halo. Its so easy to get a kill in COD that any noob can get the drop on an experienced player whereas in Halo 3, that's not going to happen. And thats the way it should be, why reward people for being bad at the game? And to tell you how easy it is to win at COD4, when I played it for a couple hours last year online, I was a complete noob to the game and still managed to get first place 6 times, all while getting laughed at for having no rank. Loved the single player mode though.
Ciocio3I3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Ciocio3I3
Member since 2009 • 259 Posts
I challange anyone here to find me an FPS with a universe that is as intricate as Halos.Pro_wrestler
what about resistances universe? because its basically based on a real universe, ours...
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I believe it's the highly addicting MP.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts
Halo was the first game I played on the Xbox, and to be honest, I freaking loved it. Its one of those times where if YOU weren't a part of that xbox crowd when Halo CE droped then you may NEVER get it. I never played the first MGS, so no, I don't get Metal Gear at all, but I try not to crap all over the franchise just because I never "got it." Now I'll go through my experience briefly: Halo was the first game I played that got me to use dual analogs and I spent 2 hours trying to figure it out, now its second nature. Some other game may have done it first, I don't care, for many people, Halo was the first. After that I was thrust into this cool "halo world" and had no idea what to expect. It had great guns, cool lvehicles and some nasty enemies, the Hunter still gives me an itchy trigger finger. The guns were fun to shoot, and the enemies were fun to kill, I loved hearing the elite's death scream. Reading these posts I've read that some think the story is shallow, the story was just right. In a video game, the most important part of the game is the gamePLAY. I have over 700 movies in my apartment that I can watch whenever I want, when I play games, i want to play. In shooters, all I need to know is who are the good guys (my character) and who do I need to kill; just like any soldier. It's when games get too bogged down with cutscenes and dialogue that I want to scream. All I want to do is kill aliens, whatever backstory you want me to know, include it in the intro or throughout the GAME, not in cutscenes, keep the action going. It was the conveluted stoy plus the playing as the arbiter part that turned me off about Halo 2. I also hear "generic shooter" which is thrown around at any game one particular fanboy doesn't like. People called KZ2 generic, and thats just disrespectful to the lads that slaved for hours to make that generic shooter. Have some respect for the crafstmen that made the product you enkoy; even if it's on another platform. That being said, I really wouldn't call Halo generic, I still have memories. The last thing I'll add about HaloCE is that it had one of the most surprising plot twists that I've ever experienced in a game. Thanks me not finding gamespot back then, my game wasn't ruined byt previews and forum gabbing, this was an outright unexpected surprise. The flood. When those little popcorn looking basta**s came out of nowhere, I had a full sniper rifle and pistol. 30 minutes after meeting all the members of the Halo CE flood faction, I was sporting a full shotty and an assault rifle. The action was so frantic it reminded me of "Aliens."
tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
Absolutely nothing, 'ceot plasma grenades maybe, but Halo is just reliable and damn tight.