What is so great about Halo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LittleHands134
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts

I know this is a pretty late topic, considering most of the Halo games are already out. But what's the appeal? How did Halo get so popular in the first place? I understand that multiplayer is good, but what's so great about the storyline? It just seems like a generic FPS to me, everything about it screams generic.

Now I'm not asking how everyone can like Halo, because it's pretty obvious that it's one the most popular games to ever be released. What I'm asking is how did this get so popular when the first game came out? Before there was huge trains of Halo hype everytime something Bungie related came out.

daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 daftdog
Member since 2003 • 910 Posts
Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!
ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
It's Soulja Boys favorite game.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I know this is a pretty late topic, considering most of the Halo games are already out. But what's the appeal? How did Halo get so popular in the first place? I understand that multiplayer is good, but what's so great about the storyline? It just seems like a generic FPS to me, everything about it screams generic.

Now I'm not asking how everyone can like Halo, because it's pretty obvious that it's one the most popular games to ever be released. What I'm asking is how did this get so popular when the first game came out? Before there was huge trains of Halo hype everytime something Bungie related came out.

LittleHands134

Halo was a shining gem, that breathed life into xbox's crummy line up. I mean it was just the most well done FPS and raised the bar, for MP and single player

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

The following are all imo, except number 1.:P

1. The Arbiter owns the soul of every gaming character ever save Alucard and Sephiroth.

2. It's the greatest FPS "saga" ever.

3. It has the greatest FPS story ever, including Marathon.

4. It's the best balance of SP/MP both being good ever.

5. The gif below.

6. The scores are great, aren't they?

7. Perfected recharging shields.

8. First FPS to have grenade at the ready at all times instead of cycling to it.

9. Grenade sticks.

10. Vehicle jacking.

11. Because this is how high the volume goes.8)

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
It single-handedly kept a failing console alive, introduced unique mechanics and features that are seen in many FPS games to this day, set a new standard for FPS multiplayer as a whole, and, most importantly, it's fun.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Its single player is so-so and its story is ok, but its multiplayer is a blast.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LittleHands134

Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!daftdog

But the storyline is ridiculously generic and overdone. You just take a very masculine, seemingly unkillable heroic main character, toss in some aliens, a plot to destroy earth, and then you pretty much have Halo. It's like basic blockbuster movies 101.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I somewhat agree with TC, Halo = good... Halo /=/ god
vlens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vlens
Member since 2003 • 497 Posts

everything

Halo:ce was EPIC

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!daftdog

Not gonna argue about the others, but how the hell is Master Chief is a great character? He wears a motocross suit, has a monotone voice, never get to see his face nor do you ever see him make some kind of moral choices or personality.. He could be a robot under there and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!LittleHands134

But the storyline is ridiculously generic and overdone. You just take a very masculine, seemingly unkillable heroic main character, toss in some aliens, a plot to destroy earth, and then you pretty much have Halo. It's like basic blockbuster movies 101.

Like i said it raised the bar maybe not for its story but for its extremely refined at tight gameplay, and then half life 2 came and raised the bar even more

TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts
It was the first real successful FPS on console(Excluding Goldeneye and Perfect Dark), so I'm guessing if it had come out as just another shooter this gen, it wouldn't have gotten nearly any of the attention it got.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Verge_6

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!LittleHands134

You can cut down and generalize any game/movie/book plot and make it seem overly simple. Don't even try to pull that.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Well the first Halo is one of the greatest games in history. The sequels? Not so much.
joopyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 joopyme
Member since 2008 • 2598 Posts

besides from being FUN to a HUGE number of people?

uhm... hmmm.... uhmmm... hmmm...

ill get back to you later. :D

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Well the first Halo is one of the greatest games in history. The sequels? Not so much.Floppy_Jim
Their MP's are amongst the best on any console. As far as the rest of the game I agree 100%
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

What's so great about Halo?

A lot of people like it.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LittleHands134
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!Verge_6

You can cut down and generalize any game/movie/book plot and make it seem overly simple. Don't even try to pull that.

It's hardly generalizing, it's just the game. The backstory in Halo was very poor quality, Masterchief is the equivalent of a space age Mary Sue (Think Conan the Barbarian), story telling could have been so much better.

It reminded me of some teeny bopper action movie with exploding buildings and long haired rockstars flying through windows in motorcycles. While Halo didn't have any of those things per se, it still appealed to the same crowd for very similar reasons.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

It's hardly generalizing, it's just the game. The backstory in Halo was very poor quality, Masterchief is the equivalent of a space age Mary Sue (Think Conan the Barbarian), story telling could have been so much better.

It reminded me of some teeny bopper action movie with exploding buildings and long haired rockstars flying through windows in motorcycles. While Halo didn't have any of those things per se, it still appealed to the same crowd for very similar reasons.

Don't knock the game if you don't want to pay attention.

pi3m4ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pi3m4ster
Member since 2008 • 522 Posts
everything is so great about halo. everything.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LittleHands134
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!Verge_6

Pay attention to what though? It's such a simple depthless plot that a four year old could understand it.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Spartan070

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!sSubZerOo

Not gonna argue about the others, but how the hell is Master Chief is a great character? He wears a motocross suit, has a monotone voice, never get to see his face nor do you ever see him make some kind of moral choices or personality.. He could be a robot under there and it wouldn't have made a difference.

He meant the Arbiter. The Arbiter is godly.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Verge_6

ZOMG, teh teeny-bopper shallowness!!!11

pi3m4ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pi3m4ster
Member since 2008 • 522 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!Spartan070

He meant the Arbiter. The Arbiter is godly.

second!! his storyline was the best ever

also crap backstory??????? have a bang on this

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

Pay attention to what though? It's such a simple depthless plot that a four year old could understand it.

This new poster is indeed the bold one...
TheWampaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheWampaKing
Member since 2008 • 278 Posts
Oi, i hate halo. The story is aweful, the graphics arent very good, its really repetitive, and just got old really fast.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LittleHands134

Verge_6

Almost every single thing in that summary was taken from novels based on Halo and has nothing to do with the game itself. Even after looking through that, it read like hundreds of other sci-fi novels I've gone through.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#29 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Well...almost everything

the only problem of Halo games is that they eventualy end

TheWampaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheWampaKing
I'd like to see The godly arbiter fight a Big Daddy, than will see how "godly" he is.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

Almost every single thing in that summary was taken from novels based on Halo and has nothing to do with the game itself. Even after looking through that, it read like hundreds of other sci-fi novels I've gone through.

Yeah, somehow I doubt you've read "hundreds of sci-fi novels". You said the backstory was poor and weak, and I just blew that statement out of the water like a goddamned U-boat. Even if you discount the link, you are, most likely intentionally, throwing away things like the political and social structure of an entire civilization.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts
I got the PC version when it came out and wondered the same thing for the entire time. While i did enjoy the multiplayer and SP to a degree, it definitely doesn't compete with other FPS on the market. Even moreso with Halo 2 and 3 (again, played Halo 2 on PC). Only thing i can think of is that it launched with a platform that had pretty much zero good looking games at the launch and single handedly saved the platform.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 heretrix
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

Do you even understand what a backstory is? You said the backstory was poor and he pointed you to the backstory.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Verge_6
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

heretrix

Do you even understand what a backstory is? You said the backstory was poor and he pointed you to the backstory.

He just joined today, and one of his first topics is this one. I don't think anything else needs to be said.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

"hundreds"

:question:

Seriously? I'm not trying to doubt you but seriously?

Also you said:

"The backstory in Halo was very poor quality...."LittleHands134

:| Sounds to me like you meant the entire backstory. Only after being one-up'd did you go and talk of what's in or not in the game.

xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

The story isnt that simple.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#37 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

LittleHands134
Bungie has a special talent for bringing passive backstory to life. That stuff is gripping, especially when you look at the Halo games. The same applied for the Marathon Trilogy.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

Verge_6

He just joined today, and one of his first topics is this one. I don't think anything else needs to be said.

Bu but he's read HUNDREDZ of sci fi novelz.
TheWampaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheWampaKing
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!xgraderx

Yea, he forgot to say "Toss in LOTS of alien that all are pretty much the same". there, better?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Verge_6
[QUOTE="xgraderx"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!TheWampaKing

Yea, he forgot to say "Toss in LOTS of alien that all are pretty much the same". there, better?

Yeah, that's why whole zoology guides have been released on these totally identical species.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LittleHands134

Verge_6

Yeah, somehow I doubt you've read "hundreds of sci-fi novels". Even if you discount the link, you are, most liekly intentionally, throwing away things like the political and social structure of an entire civilization. You're just another one of those "It's soooo generic" haters that have gone through this board hundreds of times.

Oh come on, using the political and social structure in Halo as an example is like trying to tell me that some generic book you found about kids stranded on an island is equal to what you would read in Lord of the Flies. Unless they touch on this much more in the books? But even if they did, it's completely irrelevant to the actual game itself.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 musicalmac  Moderator

TheWampaKing
Do you have a problem fighting ALL those HUMANS that are pretty much the same in other games? :?
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LittleHands134

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

Yeah, somehow I doubt you've read "hundreds of sci-fi novels". Even if you discount the link, you are, most liekly intentionally, throwing away things like the political and social structure of an entire civilization. You're just another one of those "It's soooo generic" haters that have gone through this board hundreds of times.

Oh come on, using the political and social structure in Halo as an example is like trying to tell me that some generic book you found about kids stranded on an island is equal to what you would read in Lord of the Flies. Unless they touch on this much more in the books? But even if they did, it's completely irrelevant to the actual game itself.

Messed up the quote, read the last paragraph.

TheWampaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheWampaKing
For having 3 games, the enemies should have a little more variety in them.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 musicalmac  Moderator
For having 3 games, the enemies should have a little more variety in them.TheWampaKing
Call of Duty already has 4. :|
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

So, what are you comparing Halo to then, if you're going to use that example?

Yeah, too bad those "irrelevant" asects come into play more than a few times in the game, and its predecessors.

TheWampaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheWampaKing
[QUOTE="TheWampaKing"]

musicalmac

Do you have a problem fighting ALL those HUMANS that are pretty much the same in other games? :?

It depends on the game. In games like CoD4, its more realistic, unlike Halo, which is aliens, and to me it should hav more variety in them.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 heretrix

Oh come on, using the political and social structure in Halo as an example is like trying to tell me that some generic book you found about kids stranded on an island is equal to what you would read in Lord of the Flies. Unless they touch on this much more in the books? But even if they did, it's completely irrelevant to the actual game itself. LittleHands134

But if you haven't read the books how would you know?

I'll give you a choice: The shovel or the rope. Only one can get you out of this hole you've dug for yourself.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LittleHands134
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

heretrix

Was any of this backstory he pointed to mentioned in the actual games? No. My point is that they're novels based on the games. Novels expanding on pointless dribble does not make the original thing any less pointless.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Spartan070

I'd like to see The godly arbiter fight a Big Daddy, than will see how "godly" he is.TheWampaKing

His power is over 9000...

VS.