What is so great about Halo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

For having 3 games, the enemies should have a little more variety in them.TheWampaKing

Are you ignoring posts on purpose, or is this genuinely unintentional?

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Halo is just great

Halo: CE was epic stuff for xbox owners at the time. splitscreen co-op and MP over LAN was pure fun

Halo 2 campaign was not as good (shorter and annoying levels) but the MP was excellent

Halo3 is great, (perfect mix of all the HaloCE and Halo2 goodies) easy to pick up after MONTHS and it never gets old

all imo

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="TheWampaKing"]

Yea, he forgot to say "Toss in LOTS of alien that all are pretty much the same". there, better?

TheWampaKing

Do you have a problem fighting ALL those HUMANS that are pretty much the same in other games? :?

It depends on the game. In games like CoD4, its more realistic, unlike Halo, which is aliens, and to me it should hav more variety in them.

Yeah, I just love how the realistic enemies and NPCs in COD say almost the exact same things as their WW2 counterparts.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
For having 3 games, the enemies should have a little more variety in them.TheWampaKing
It's the same world and the same enemy armies.:|
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Verge_6
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

ZOMG, teh teeny-bopper shallowness!!!11

LittleHands134

Almost every single thing in that summary was taken from novels based on Halo and has nothing to do with the game itself. Even after looking through that, it read like hundreds of other sci-fi novels I've gone through.

Do you even understand what a backstory is? You said the backstory was poor and he pointed you to the backstory.

Was any of this backstory he pointed to mentioned in the actual games? No. My point is that they're novels based on the games. Novels expanding on pointless dribble does not make the original thing any less pointless.

...Okay, this thread should end. Now.

TheWampaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 TheWampaKing
Member since 2008 • 278 Posts
I dont expect games like CoD to toss in a bunch of different things. what will they do? change their color? Look at Dead Space, that game has lots of different enemies.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
consoles barely had any shooters worth mentioning before halo becuse of which halo becme hugely popular

TheWampaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TheWampaKing

[QUOTE="TheWampaKing"]For having 3 games, the enemies should have a little more variety in them.Spartan070
It's the same world and the same enemy armies.:|

Oh ok, Than why are the brutes blood a different color in Halo 3 than the 2nd one? And if that is the case, they should had more in the first 1. :P

boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 boyinfridge
Member since 2006 • 1796 Posts

I got the PC version when it came out and wondered the same thing for the entire time. While i did enjoy the multiplayer and SP to a degree, it definitely doesn't compete with other FPS on the market. Even moreso with Halo 2 and 3 (again, played Halo 2 on PC). Only thing i can think of is that it launched with a platform that had pretty much zero good looking games at the launch and single handedly saved the platform. Puckhog04

I dont know what you are talking about I got the xbox at launch and it came with Halo and PGR both blew PS2 games out of the water as did most xbox games.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

ZOMG, teh teeny-bopper shallowness!!!11

LittleHands134

Almost every single thing in that summary was taken from novels based on Halo and has nothing to do with the game itself. Even after looking through that, it read like hundreds of other sci-fi novels I've gone through.

Do you even understand what a backstory is? You said the backstory was poor and he pointed you to the backstory.

Was any of this backstory he pointed to mentioned in the actual games? No. My point is that they're novels based on the games. Novels expanding on pointless dribble does not make the original thing any less pointless.

Yes, And if you read any of the stuff he linked to it would explain it thoughly.

Like I said, The shovel or the rope? The hole is getting REALLY deep.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
There really isn't anything great about it. Just another average FPS.
pi3m4ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 pi3m4ster
Member since 2008 • 522 Posts
whatever klets all conclude halo pwns and continue our lives...
TheWampaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TheWampaKing

[QUOTE="TheWampaKing"]I'd like to see The godly arbiter fight a Big Daddy, than will see how "godly" he is.Spartan070

His power is over 9000...

VS.

Thats not cool. :(

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LittleHands134
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts

Verge_6

Could you give me a reason as to why I'm wrong? The first Halo game was released in 2001, the novels then came after this. I might agree with you if the games were based off of the novels, but a novel that is made after the game is already released does not make the original game any better.

pi3m4ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 pi3m4ster
Member since 2008 • 522 Posts
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

Could you give me a reason as to why I'm wrong? The first Halo game was released in 2001, the novels then came after this. I might agree with you if the games were based off of the novels, but a novel that is made after the game is already released does not make the original game any better.

:S

they all came from the halo "bible" which existed before even halo 1.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#66 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

LittleHands134
Bungie had story elements in place before development began. That's how they work. Marathon is evidence of that. The books are not based off the game, they're based off the story Bungie created, which translated into the Halo games.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 heretrix
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

I guess you went with the shovel. Damn. I was hoping you were smater than that.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

Could you give me a reason as to why I'm wrong?

Because events in the novel ARE mentioned in even the first Halo game. How can you even make this thread when it's clear you haven't read the novels AND played the games?

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Its fun. Really really fun. No its not incredibly innovative or anything like that but the online is fun. That can't be said for many "Halo clones".
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

does that matter? The games are allready good, and the novels just help you to understand/appreciate the story in the game more..

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 LittleHands134
[QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

Verge_6

Because events in the novel ARE mentioned in even the first Halo game. How can you even make this thread when it's clear you haven't read the novels AND played the games?

Like I said before, I'm not looking at the novels. The thread was never about the novels, it's about the game. You keep going back to how indepth the books were (That I've never read nor do I plan to read), can you provide a link to the storyline Bungie had developed before the games, and then I can decide for myself if it had enough depth to be a decent storyline?

You can't tell me that the games themselves (not the books, I honestly don't care) provided a deep storyline.

RobNBankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 RobNBankz
Member since 2008 • 483 Posts

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!LittleHands134

But the storyline is ridiculously generic and overdone. You just take a very masculine, seemingly unkillable heroic main character, toss in some aliens, a plot to destroy earth, and then you pretty much have Halo. It's like basic blockbuster movies 101.

Ok? You can dumb down every game's story and make it seem so simple.

If you don't understand why Halo is so liked read a professional review. You'll actually get facts off of them. On forums, you get opinions, most likely from people who haven't even played it but hate it because it's the popular thing to do on forums. Kind of like hating BioShock and saying it's a dumbed down System Shock 2, although I guarentee 95% of the people on here didn't even know SS2 existed.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

LittleHands134

Like I said before, I'm not looking at the novels. The thread was never about the novels, it's about the game. You keep going back to how indepth the books were (That I've never read nor do I plan to read), can you provide a link to the storyline Bungie had developed before the games, and then I can decide for myself if it had enough depth to be a decent storyline?

You can't tell me that the games themselves (not the books, I honestly don't care) provided a deep storyline.

You panned the backstory and the story of Halo as a whole, and you've been proven wrong so many times throughout this thread that it's not even funny. You don't think Halo doesn't have a shallow story, and it's clear you don't want to think that. You've done more switching than railyard manager. What use does this really serve now?

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

What's so great about Halo?

A lot of people like it.

heretrix

A lot of people like Metal Gear, but yet it gets dissed all day long.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LittleHands134

You panned the backstory and the story of Halo as a whole, and you've been proven wrong so many times throughout this thread that it's not even funny. You don't think Halo doesn't have a shallow story, and it's clear you don't want to think that. You've done more switching than railyard manager. What use does this really serve now?

Verge_6

Switching from what? My position has remained the same this entire thread. Let me go back and give you the actual quote on what I said:

"It's hardly generalizing, it's just the game. The backstory in Halo was very poor quality,"

I stand by my original statement. The backstory that HALO provides, when I say Halo it's obvious that the games were the ones I was referring to, is almost nonexistant, especially in the first game. You can keep pulling up as many links to Halo novels as you want, but until I see a link to the originally developed story that Bungie had before the game was released, I'm not going to accept the novels as backstory completely taken from the game.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

What's so great about Halo?

A lot of people like it.

CubanBlunt

A lot of people like Metal Gear, but yet it gets dissed all day long.

And that doesn't make the series any less great.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

A game that had a very well designed and executed singleplayer, and great local multi - a stride ahead for console games, and it singlehandedly 'saved' the Xbox, a sequel that popularised online play on consoles, and a finale that gave a great online community to console gamers.

That, in a nutshel, is why Halo is great.

If you are even going to attempt critising it TC, at least have some sort of valid point.....

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
honestly NOTHING. several better fps.
vlens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79 vlens
Member since 2003 • 497 Posts

There really isn't anything great about it. Just another average FPS.metalgear-solid

There really isn't anything great about you. Just another average fanboy.

You don't even try to use arguments!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#80 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
What is so great about Halo is that back in 2001 when the game was released it really was ahead of its time. It featured wide open enviroments, vehicals, only allowed to carry 2 weapons at once, and featured some pretty advanced AI which would play out different nearly every time you played the game providing unique challenges for each playthrough.
vlens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#81 vlens
Member since 2003 • 497 Posts

There really isn't anything great about it. Just another average FPS.metalgear-solid

according to you halo:ce, halo 2, halo 3, half-life 2, metal gear solid: the twin snakes ( all the metal gears on the ps he gave a 10), resident evil 4, neverwinter nights, OCARINA OF TIME are worth 1.0 rating!

You even gave sid meier's civilisation revolution (xbox360) a 1.0 and the ps3 version a 10.0! What are you doing? And you want us to belief what you say or give your opinion any credit! unbelievable!

O, i hate such fanboy's

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44328 Posts
Nothing other then being the finest, most complete this gen package. :P
TheWampaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 TheWampaKing

Nothing other then being the finest, most complete this gen package. :PSecretPolice

Sorry, but that goes to The Orange box, or BioShock, or CoD4, or......................

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 musicalmac  Moderator

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Nothing other then being the finest, most complete this gen package. :PTheWampaKing

Sorry, but that goes to The Orange box, or BioShock, or CoD4, or......................

Orange Box, I can see the argument there... CoD4, not so much. But Bioshock? Really?... REALLY?.. Common.
ANeuralPathway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ANeuralPathway
Member since 2008 • 580 Posts
I can't believe there are people defending Halo's story as quality. One hardly need read hundreds of books to know that, and I don't see why the idea of reading hundreds of books is so hard to believe, unless you're ten.
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="LittleHands134"]

[QUOTE="daftdog"]Unbeatable worlwide online gameplay wit great charcter and storyline!LittleHands134

But the storyline is ridiculously generic and overdone. You just take a very masculine, seemingly unkillable heroic main character, toss in some aliens, a plot to destroy earth, and then you pretty much have Halo. It's like basic blockbuster movies 101.

You can cut down and generalize any game/movie/book plot and make it seem overly simple. Don't even try to pull that.

It's hardly generalizing, it's just the game. The backstory in Halo was very poor quality, Masterchief is the equivalent of a space age Mary Sue (Think Conan the Barbarian), story telling could have been so much better.

It reminded me of some teeny bopper action movie with exploding buildings and long haired rockstars flying through windows in motorcycles. While Halo didn't have any of those things per se, it still appealed to the same crowd for very similar reasons.

ok now i think you just made this thread to annoy halo fans...for every halo thread i see, its nothing but critzing it...have you read the backstory?

out of all the things halo is, the one thing it did better than anything else was its story, i mean come on, making 5 books out of a game thats mostly about killing aliens?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I can't believe there are people defending Halo's story as quality. One hardly need read hundreds of books to know that, and I don't see why the idea of reading hundreds of books is so hard to believe, unless you're ten.ANeuralPathway

Halo's story is high quality and full of depth.

RobNBankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 RobNBankz
Member since 2008 • 483 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Nothing other then being the finest, most complete this gen package. :PTheWampaKing

I wasn't aware I could do 4 player co-op with my buddies on COD4. I wasn't aware that I could splitscreen in COD4 either. How about watch a film of a game I did horrible in because I want to see what I did wrong?

I don't feel like listing any more. Care to explain what COD4 offers that Halo 3 doesn't? If you want to include a "rank" system that rewards you for playing time go ahead.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 LittleHands134

[QUOTE="ANeuralPathway"]I can't believe there are people defending Halo's story as quality. One hardly need read hundreds of books to know that, and I don't see why the idea of reading hundreds of books is so hard to believe, unless you're ten.Snugenz

I'm the President's son.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Spartan070
You mean

Oh you must mean "Bioshock-sans-multiplayer" or "COD4-that-has-level-customization" or "all-original-never-seen-before-Orange Box."

Oh, that must be what you mean...

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
[QUOTE="TheWampaKing"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Nothing other then being the finest, most complete this gen package. :PRobNBankz

I wasn't aware I could do 4 player co-op with my buddies on COD4. I wasn't aware that I could splitscreen in COD4 either. How about watch a film of a game I did horrible in because I want to see what I did wrong?

I don't feel like listing any more. Care to explain what COD4 offers that Halo 3 doesn't? If you want to include a "rank" system that rewards you for playing time go ahead.

Good gameplay... while Halo 3 is just mediocore. i could list reasons.. like actually having a good campaign to begin with.. but its useless with people that are halo obssesed.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Spartan070
I can't believe there are people defending Halo's story as quality. One hardly need read hundreds of books to know that, and I don't see why the idea of reading hundreds of books is so hard to believe, unless you're ten.ANeuralPathway
Halo's story exudes quality at every turn.
ANeuralPathway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ANeuralPathway
Member since 2008 • 580 Posts

[QUOTE="ANeuralPathway"]I can't believe there are people defending Halo's story as quality. One hardly need read hundreds of books to know that, and I don't see why the idea of reading hundreds of books is so hard to believe, unless you're ten.Snugenz

If you actually think that's true, I feel sorry for you, I really do. Halo has such a cliche story, everything in it is basically a ripoff of something that actually was good.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 musicalmac  Moderator

If you actually think that's true, I feel sorry for you, I really do. Halo has such a cliche story, everything in it is basically a ripoff of something that actually was good.

ANeuralPathway
Nothing to feel sorry about. The story is deep and engrossing. Why feel sorry for someone who enjoyed it :? It may be the other way around...
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

The story sucks. The only time I play it is when me and 3 friends go online and play, just for fun..we all get in a vehicle and mess about, not compete for the highest place.

If you play the game by just killing and being serious it's so bad, everyone puts your shield down with that silly grenade and shoot you, or shoot you until your shield is down and beat you down. So silly. At least on COD4 you can actually kill the best player in the game.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Spartan070
[QUOTE="RobNBankz"]

Care to explain what COD4 offers that Halo 3 doesn't? If you want to include a "rank" system that rewards you for playing time go ahead.

Adrian_Cloud

Good gameplay... while Halo 3 is just mediocore. i could list reasons.. like actually having a good campaign to begine with.. buts useless with people that are halo obssesed.

Good gameplay is subjective and if you ask me, Halo's gameplay trumps COD4s gameplay, which is however good in it'sown right.

It's not about being obsessed with Halo, it's about defending our turf when antagonizing people try to step on out toes with this Halo-bashing drivel.

Good gameplay? As if Halo lacks good gameplay? Puhleez...

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Spartan070

If you play the game by just killing and being serious it's so bad, everyone puts your shield down with that silly grenade and shoot you, or shoot you until your shield is down and beat you down. So silly. At least on COD4 you can actually kill the best player in the game.

CBR600-RR
What?
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts
The Spartan Laser
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts
[QUOTE="CBR600-RR"]

Spartan070

What?

Agreed, what're you babbling about CBR?

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 LittleHands134
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="RobNBankz"]

Care to explain what COD4 offers that Halo 3 doesn't? If you want to include a "rank" system that rewards you for playing time go ahead.

Spartan070

Good gameplay... while Halo 3 is just mediocore. i could list reasons.. like actually having a good campaign to begine with.. buts useless with people that are halo obssesed.

Good gameplay is subjective and if you ask me, Halo's gameplay trumps COD4s gameplay, which is however good in it'sown right.

It's not about being obsessed with Halo, it's about defending our turf when antagonizing people try to step on out toes with this Halo-bashing drivel.

Good gameplay? As if Halo lacks good gameplay? Puhleez...

...It's a video game. There's no "Turf" to defend.