What if Sony loses Naughty Dog?

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@batosaim: Why aren't they gone then? I'm sure they are very well regarded across the industry. You must be an idiot if you think they think Sony can't afford or won't compensate some of their most valuable talent fairly. Keep hoping for an exodus of Sony first party talent, but it won't happen. I don't have to wait 5 years to say you are full ish and wishful thinking.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#102 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@batosaims said:

Really Naughty Dog wouldn't be worth much if their notable talent left. It'd be a big blow if Sony lost Neil Druckman and Bruce Strayley and other leads at Naughty Dog.

It'll probably never happen, but if the price was right another company with way more money than Sony (Ubi, EA, Microsoft, Activision-Blizzard) could easily entice Naughty Dog employees to leave ND and come work for them. I'm sure ND employees are fairly loyal to Sony but if they were literally offered double their salary, benefits and the chance to work for a company who isn't in the financial toilet like Sony is, they'd most likely jump ship immediately.

I don't think that would happen for one reason. Many people are given non-compete contracts on employment. I know I was, it basically a contract that says if you quit, you can't work for another company that competes with the company that you are presently hired for. Mine has a one year clause on it. If you are fired or layed off it doesn't apply. Many companies do this to prevent other companies from stealing talent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#103 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

It would be extremely painful.

batosaims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#104  Edited By batosaims
Member since 2004 • 438 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

@batosaim: Why aren't they gone then? I'm sure they are very well regarded across the industry. You must be an idiot if you think they think Sony can't afford or won't compensate some of their most valuable talent fairly. Keep hoping for an exodus of Sony first party talent, but it won't happen. I don't have to wait 5 years to say you are full ish and wishful thinking.

Because no one has tried, They simply aren't worth paying that much because they aren't that good of a developer and their games don't sell as well as the COD/GTA' out there, I stated that IF they were offered substantially more money they'd leave without a second thought.

I never said that Sony couldn't afford to pay them, I said that would it be easy for a company who isn't barely keeping above water like Sony is to swoop in and grab ND's talent if they wanted to, by offering them more money and a more stable future, which is absolutely true, your pathetic strawman isn't helping your argument, and seriously? Exodus? Dafuq are you talking about? Take your lips off of Sony's ass and breath a little.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:
@batosaims said:

Really Naughty Dog wouldn't be worth much if their notable talent left. It'd be a big blow if Sony lost Neil Druckman and Bruce Strayley and other leads at Naughty Dog.

It'll probably never happen, but if the price was right another company with way more money than Sony (Ubi, EA, Microsoft, Activision-Blizzard) could easily entice Naughty Dog employees to leave ND and come work for them. I'm sure ND employees are fairly loyal to Sony but if they were literally offered double their salary, benefits and the chance to work for a company who isn't in the financial toilet like Sony is, they'd most likely jump ship immediately.

I don't think that would happen for one reason. Many people are given non-compete contracts on employment. I know I was, it basically a contract that says if you quit, you can't work for another company that competes with the company that you are presently hired for. Mine has a one year clause on it. If you are fired or layed off it doesn't apply. Many companies do this to prevent other companies from stealing talent.

generally those non compete contracts are rendered mute, normally you wouldn't want IP getting away... but its not like if they leave they'll go make an uncharted game. And I'm pretty sure if they leave The only thing they'd probably not have to worry about if they left is making sure they don't rewrite the codebase they developed at sony.

Also depending on where you go non compete might not even be enforceable, for instance if they move to California... California considers them illegal.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@batosaims: Keep talking out of your ass. How do you know no one has tried? They make 90+ Metacritic games sell 6 to 9 million on just PlayStation. Yeah they aren't well regarded...clown. Don't respond to me again.

batosaims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By batosaims

@StrongBlackVine said:

@batosaims: Keep talking out of your ass. How do you know no one has tried? They make 90+ Metacritic games sell 6 to 9 million on just PlayStation. Yeah they aren't well regarded...clown. Don't respond to me again.

I now genuinely think that you may be mentally retarded....how do I know no one has tried? That's called an abstract argument, you're asking me to prove something that can't be proven. Their games sell 6 million copies over the course of a year despite massive budgets and marketing, where a game like COD or GTA sells that many copies in a few days...on one console...that's why they aren't very desirable and worth paying more than an industry standard salary, they're an overrated developer and their games don't sell as well as main stream titles. I understand that it's probably very comfy up there in the depths of Sony's ass but you should really consider getting some fresh air, and a better argument while you're at it.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

Lems will pull a Insomniac Games and instantly love ND and claim that they're the best devs ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#109 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Don't care

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@lamprey263 said:

MS could buy Naughty Dog, but PlayStation fanboys and subversive elements in gaming media would turn on them and nothing would change, they'd just put more importance on other things, like uberniche weeaboo JRPGs exclusive to the PS brand.

Dude MS could buy Sony multiple times over it doesn't mean it will happen.

Dude you can't buy what isn't for sale.....

KingsTableWar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 KingsTableWar
Member since 2015 • 75 Posts

Huh? They could only lose naughty dog in a take over or if they sell/kill them themselves.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#112 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:
@lamprey263 said:

MS could buy Naughty Dog, but PlayStation fanboys and subversive elements in gaming media would turn on them and nothing would change, they'd just put more importance on other things, like uberniche weeaboo JRPGs exclusive to the PS brand.

Easy bro.......................that jumping to interrupt anything NOT praising Sony makes your "I'm not a fanboy" stance suspect.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

OP what if no gravity?..."mindblown"

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LJS9502_basic

@cainetao11 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:
@lamprey263 said:

Easy bro.......................that jumping to interrupt anything NOT praising Sony makes your "I'm not a fanboy" stance suspect.

What a stupid conclusion. It's a statement of fact and has nothing to do with your petty little squabbles about consoles.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Then they're f*****. I love the PS4 and Sony but I honestly can't see anything else worth buying a console for after Uncharted 4.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 cainetao11

@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:
@lamprey263 said:

What a stupid conclusion. It's a statement of fact and has nothing to do with your petty little squabbles about consoles.

So you have never heard of a hostile take over or buyout of majority of public stock? Those companies aren't looking to sell themselves and get bought out. You fail.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@cainetao11 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:

So you have never heard of a hostile take over or buyout of majority of public stock? Those companies aren't looking to sell themselves and get bought out. You fail.

This M$ buying other companies has been covered a probably over a hundred times over the many years. If I recall, there is international laws and/or Japanese laws prohibiting an American company performing a hostile takeover on a Japanese company.

Which would in fact make M$ buying out Sony multiple times over impossible if those laws are still in effect which have been discussed here many times because of the wet-dream fantasy of M$ buying out Nintendo and Sony in other threads.

There are other nations that protect their companies too besides Japan...if I remember right, Germany also has similar protections. I don't profess to follow international takeover laws, but I know this topic has been broached in SW far too many times and I remember tons of links and legalese to comb through for those that want to know why.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 cainetao11

@SolidTy said:
@cainetao11 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:

This M$ buying other companies has been covered a probably over a hundred times over the many years. If I recall, there is international laws and/or Japanese laws prohibiting an American company performing a hostile takeover on a Japanese company.

Which would in fact make M$ buying out Sony multiple times over impossible if those laws are still in effect which have been discussed here many times because of the wet-dream fantasy of M$ buying out Nintendo and Sony in other threads.

There are other nations that protect their companies too besides Japan...if I remember right, Germany also has similar protections. I don't profess to follow international takeover laws, but I know this topic has been broached in SW far too many times and I remember tons of links and legalese to comb through for those that want to know why.

I am aware dude, I was a series 7 registered rep from 1992-1996. When I made that statement it was more in the terms of market capital available. Then this false idea something must be for sale was presented which just isn't fully true. With international trade and commerce laws things are in the hands of international law. Why this was ever taken to mean it would be as easy as going in and buying a candy bar is beyond me but in business one does not have to be open to being acquired in order for it to happen either. And with LJ its just a history of stirring more for Sony than any other so I teased about that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 LJS9502_basic

@cainetao11 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:

*sigh* It still has to be available for sale. Which is something you don't seem to understand. And Japan would not let a Japanese company be taken over by a non Japanese company. Keep dreaming.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 LJS9502_basic
@cainetao11 said:

And with LJ its just a history of stirring more for Sony than any other so I teased about that.

Wrong again. You could have substituted Nintendo or MS in there instead of Sony and my answer would have been the same.

batosaims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 batosaims

@davem1992 said:

Lems will pull a Insomniac Games and instantly love ND and claim that they're the best devs ever.

Right because I forgot how many people instantly loved Insomniac and hyped SSO as a GOTY caliber game....

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 cainetao11

@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:

*sigh* It still has to be available for sale. Which is something you don't seem to understand. And Japan would not let a Japanese company be taken over by a non Japanese company. Keep dreaming.

What part of a publicly traded company isn't available for sale? I own SNE. Having been a series 7 registered broker in the early to mid 1990s I've got an idea how it works. Nobody is dreaming. You have taken my point way off base. My point was MS could, as in afford due to the sheer amount of capital they possess, buy a smaller company like Sony many times over, but it wont happen just like Sony will not some how lose ND.

@LJS9502_basic said:
@cainetao11 said:

And with LJ its just a history of stirring more for Sony than any other so I teased about that.

Wrong again. You could have substituted Nintendo or MS in there instead of Sony and my answer would have been the same.

LOL sure.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 LJS9502_basic

@cainetao11 said:

What part of a publicly traded company isn't available for sale? I own SNE. Having been a series 7 registered broker in the early to mid 1990s I've got an idea how it works. Nobody is dreaming. You have taken my point way off base. My point was MS could, as in afford due to the sheer amount of capital they possess, buy a smaller company like Sony many times over, but it wont happen just like Sony will not some how lose ND.

LOL sure.

You are absolutely clueless.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 cainetao11

@LJS9502_basic: obey dokey

ArminYapusi