What if Sony loses Naughty Dog?

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Cry out loud , what else.

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

@skelly34 said:

No one except Sony fanboys would care.

Kind of like how no one except Sony fanboys care about ND right now.

Probably one of the dumbest comments I've seen in the last decade.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@GoldenElementXL: like your post also demonstrated?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

@cainetao11:

Again like you said "maybe", but yeah it could be that they just liked the game and wasn't "loyalty". Maybe loyalty was a strong word.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@the_funyarinpa said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

What if sony stopped making consoles altogether? The answer is nobody cares until we have to cross that bridge...

I can see their Sony owned studios going third party and still profiting or the PlayStation segment building towards Game Streaming (heavier PS Now/Cloud investment).

Probably investors would care and certain Sony fans would probably not like it.

The point is this; is there a reason you ask this question. Did Naughty Dog do an interview and say they are open to do games on all platforms? Did Sony say they are not going to have an exclusive deal with Naughty Dog anymore? Unless there is something, its just a bunch of "What ifs" that nobody cares about. I could make a forum saying "what if microsoft, sony and nintendo all joined together to make 1 console for next gen" discuss everyone. Nobody would care cause there is nothing to suggest that would be the case.

Exactly.

It's another: "let's play pretend" thread.

Anti-Sony people would rejoice and Sony people would be sad. That's the answer, correct?

Some users would point to Sony's other 1st party studios:

SCE Japan Studio (Gravity Rush, Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, Siren, etc),

SCE San Diego Studio (MLB),

Media Molecule (Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet 1/2, Dreams),

London Studio (Getaway, Singstar, Gangs of London, etc),

Sucker Punch (Infamous, Sly Cooper),

Sony Santa Monica (God of War and various other titles),

Polyphony (Gran Turismo),

Guerrilla (Killzone series, Horizon),

etc

as other studios they enjoy. Of course, Naughty Dog is also a part of Sony studios so it's an odd question. The only way it would happen is if Sony closed down Playstation and sold these studios off. Of course, if Sony suddenly didn't have to support Naughty Dog studios, they would have more money so I'm sure a new big studio would spring up in it's place, much like we saw with Bungie and then 343, and then more recently with The Coalition.

It's all kind of pointless banter though since this is all just idle speculation and none of it is happening anytime soon.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@Rock-City said:
@skelly34 said:

No one except Sony fanboys would care.

Kind of like how no one except Sony fanboys care about ND right now.

Probably one of the dumbest comments I've seen in the last decade.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Psych wards would see a spike in their population growth.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

If Sony lost ND NyadDC would have so many little 'accidents' in his pants he would need constant help from medical and mental health professionals in order to function as a normal human being again even though he has published lots of photos of somebody elses PC equipment (he's not fooling anybody).

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Skelly34

@blueinheaven said:

If Sony lost ND NyadDC would have so many little 'accidents' in his pants he would need constant help from medical and mental health professionals in order to function as a normal human being again even though he has published lots of photos of somebody elses PC equipment (he's not fooling anybody).

lol

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

What if questions suck, less alone a whole thread about it.

John_of_Rivia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 John_of_Rivia
Member since 2015 • 232 Posts

They might not be able to lose the ND brand, but the people in ND? Way more likely, especially if Microsoft offers more funding.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Remedy is secretly doing a game exclusive for ps4

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

Never gonna happen. The ND people are always praising SONY and always talk about how they wouldnt be where they are without SONY and how much they are loyal to SONY.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

What if GUFU never existed? Teh Conspiracy!

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#66 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Unlike MS, there's still a bunch of good internal studios that create games like God of War and SotC. They'll be fine especially with those free exclusives from Japanese publishers.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#67 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I'd buy their games wherever they were released. I have no brand loyalty to a console but ND has put out some of my favorite games with Jak, Crash, Uncharted, and the Last of Us.

I don't see them leaving Sony though. They get freedom to make new ips as they see fit which a lot of developers don't get.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

What's GUFU?

@Legend002 said:

Unlike MS, there's still a bunch of good internal studios that create games like God of War and SotC. They'll be fine especially with those free exclusives from Japanese publishers.

Might just be anomaly but weren't some speculating some fatigue from GoW? The GoW from SM is my most anticipated title tho.

Does the last few GoW/SCEJ materials generate as much attention/sales as ND games?

@RTUUMM said:

Never gonna happen. The ND people are always praising SONY and always talk about how they wouldnt be where they are without SONY and how much they are loyal to SONY.

Did they actually say that? Just curious.

@blueinheaven said:

Yikes.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@j2zon2591 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

What's GUFU?

The greatest Union ever on GS

batosaims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By batosaims
Member since 2004 • 438 Posts

Really Naughty Dog wouldn't be worth much if their notable talent left. It'd be a big blow if Sony lost Neil Druckman and Bruce Strayley and other leads at Naughty Dog.

It'll probably never happen, but if the price was right another company with way more money than Sony (Ubi, EA, Microsoft, Activision-Blizzard) could easily entice Naughty Dog employees to leave ND and come work for them. I'm sure ND employees are fairly loyal to Sony but if they were literally offered double their salary, benefits and the chance to work for a company who isn't in the financial toilet like Sony is, they'd most likely jump ship immediately.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By j2zon2591

@the_funyarinpa said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

What if sony stopped making consoles altogether? The answer is nobody cares until we have to cross that bridge...

I can see their Sony owned studios going third party and still profiting or the PlayStation segment building towards Game Streaming (heavier PS Now/Cloud investment).

The point is this; is there a reason you ask this question. Did Naughty Dog do an interview and say they are open to do games on all platforms? Did Sony say they are not going to have an exclusive deal with Naughty Dog anymore? Unless there is something, its just a bunch of "What ifs" that nobody cares about. I could make a forum saying "what if microsoft, sony and nintendo all joined together to make 1 console for next gen" discuss everyone. Nobody would care cause there is nothing to suggest that would be the case.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-08-what-would-happen-if-microsoft-nintendo-and-sony-got-together-to-make-one-console

Surprised there seem to be an actual article of that.

@lamprey263 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@lamprey263 said:

MS could buy Naughty Dog, but PlayStation fanboys and subversive elements in gaming media would turn on them and nothing would change, they'd just put more importance on other things, like uberniche weeaboo JRPGs exclusive to the PS brand.

Dude MS could buy Sony multiple times over it doesn't mean it will happen.

But that's not the point really, this is about would it under hypothetical circumstances of Sony losing Naughty Dog would it effect PS's branding. I say no, because they'd just shift focus of other games as the games that define the PlayStation. PlayStation brand has gone quite a long way not needing to maintain a solid IP as a central theme of their system, not like say Nintendo to their key franchises or MS to Halo.

I see. I wonder what's next they'd come up with. AFAIK, UC2 (Sony) popularized the "cinematic action gaming" in the industry which seem to be quite popular recently. I'm not sure of other games that really did that.. maybe MGS4?

Hope Morpheus could make HMD's be more mainstream and one of Sony's studios make something quite popular with it.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

The weakest hardcore damage control from Cows in history. Now If ND turned into MS's Rare... Thats the real plausible question.

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

No one would really care.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 j2zon2591

@TrappedInABox91 said:

The weakest hardcore damage control from Cows in history. Now If ND turned into MS's Rare... Thats the real plausible question.

What do you mean by that exactly?

I'm not familiar with rare so I checked some wiki.. seeing Kinect Rivals, some Yooka game and Sea of Thieves.

Do you mean devs making smaller than AAA titles? I haven't looked much into it but Yooka, SoT don't seem to be in the same league as Halo 5, Scalebound, QB, Gears.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

They'll still have 700% more exclusives than X1.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Idk. I certainly wish I could give a least 1/4 a **** about ND, but I don't.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@magicalclick said:

Cows will find something else to hype, like DC and Order.

...I'd take SSM, suckerpunch, and GG over them anyday

GG are not even in the same book as ND, each to their own though i guess.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@j2zon2591: Rare use to be a second party dev. for Nintendo. In short, they made some Nintendo classics like Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie,Jet force Gemini among others. Then MS bought them out, and a lot of the OG talent from Rare went elsewhere. Thats why we see the trash you were talking about. Rare is just a brand name with MS behind it only.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#79 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

In order for Sony to lose Naughty Dog, Sony either sells ND or the founders buy them out.

The founders are no longer at ND, so they can't buy themselves out anymore

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@j2zon2591 said:

How much impact would that cause to the current PlayStation branding?

Not as much as you think. Most people purchase third party games anyways.

The PS3 has an 80 million user install base and none of the Uncharted games managed to sell 10 million units.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#81 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Sony's first party would be incredibly weak without them, and it's pretty weak right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#82 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

They'll move on to making better games for more platforms and be more profitable ?

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

@j2zon2591 said:
@the_funyarinpa said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-08-what-would-happen-if-microsoft-nintendo-and-sony-got-together-to-make-one-console

But look at the article! A reason why they are talking about it!!! Someone in the game industry was talking about the limitations of having so many consoles. This thread is pure speculation what if, garbage. There is no reason to talk about this at this moment in time. You could learn from that article you posted

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

What is Konami lost Kojima Productions? .. oh wait.....

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

MS could buy Naughty Dog, but PlayStation fanboys and subversive elements in gaming media would turn on them and nothing would change, they'd just put more importance on other things, like uberniche weeaboo JRPGs exclusive to the PS brand.

You can only buy something that's for sale...China could buy the Statue of Liberty, but it isn't for sale.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@j2zon2591: it's a different situation, Bungie was always in an exclusive contract with Microsoft that ended in 2007. Very similiar to their current 10 year publishing deal with Activision

Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin flat out sold Naughty Dog studio to Sony back in 2000 or so..

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#87 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

@bforrester420 said:
@lamprey263 said:

You can only buy something that's for sale...China could buy the Statue of Liberty, but it isn't for sale.

jesus tapdancing christ, look at the other two comments I responded too that said the same damn thing

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@l34052 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@magicalclick said:

Cows will find something else to hype, like DC and Order.

...I'd take SSM, suckerpunch, and GG over them anyday

GG are not even in the same book as ND, each to their own though i guess.

I honestly think ND is a below average studio. I haven't liked even 1 game they made.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

What if I won the lottery? What if I were struck by lightening? What if an asteroid hit earth? What if, what if? LoL

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Skelly34

In all seriousness, I'd probably have a quick laugh at the momentary suffering of cows, but then I'd sit back in my chair to think of how improved the video game industry would be without the speartip of shitty movie games.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By j2zon2591

@emgesp said:
@j2zon2591 said:

The PS3 has an 80 million user install base and none of the Uncharted games managed to sell 10 million units.

I see.

@the_funyarinpa said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@the_funyarinpa said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

But look at the article! A reason why they are talking about it!!! Someone in the game industry was talking about the limitations of having so many consoles. This thread is pure speculation what if, garbage. There is no reason to talk about this at this moment in time. You could learn from that article you posted

Fair enough. Sorry to bother. I'm still interested in what people think with the hypothetical.

@emgesp said:
@j2zon2591 said:

I see. I guess Sony could still be the more preferable console with resolutiongate + media spreading resolutiongate (regardless of actual perception).

@jg4xchamp said:

Sony's first party would be incredibly weak without them, and it's pretty weak right now.

I kinda thought so but as others have said, Sony don't seem to be too reliant on one franchise and they can shift the resource w/o ND.

@jcrame10 said:

@j2zon2591: it's a different situation, Bungie was always in an exclusive contract with Microsoft that ended in 2007. Very similiar to their current 10 year publishing deal with Activision

Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin flat out sold Naughty Dog studio to Sony back in 2000 or so..

I see. So Bungie was more of a 3rd party contractee?

Anyway, something I saw:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/67682365

Buying up developers willy-nilly to ensure the largest possible headcount doesn't equate to having a great exclusive line-up, Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer has claimed, pointing to Microsoft's productive partnership with Epic as evidence that partnering with third party publishers is no less valid a tactic.

"I think to some out there there's a fixation with which studios you own, which studios you work with, and for better or worse I'm not fixated on that," he told IGN as part of the latter's Podcast Unlocked.

"I lived through the Xbox 360 generation and we had a great relationship with Epic, and we built Gears of War, and really that franchise was born on the Xbox 360 and hit incredible heights on the Xbox 360. And whether we owned Epic or simply worked with Epic was not part of the conversation [about whether] that game was going to be great."

"Certain people will look at how many Microsoft-badged employees do you have versus Sony-badged employees, and when they start to weigh the different first parties," he continued. "And I know there are some people that want to own their own studio, be independent, drive their business, and go completely their own way, keep their own culture.

"And I respect that - if people want to work that way, we'll continue to work with them. I don't see it as a barrier to what we can do together. Whether it's Remedy, whether it's Insomniac, whether it's Crytek. So the relationship with Respawn? Obviously they have a publisher, EA, for their game, but it's a strong relationship and we feel great about what they're bringing to Xbox."

---

I wonder if Sony 1st party can do better metal/lower level programming compared to 3rd party.. and if similar to MS' studios. That probably won't make a better new game automatically but still could help a studio.

@skelly34 said:

In all seriousness, I'd probably have a quick laugh at the momentary suffering of cows, but then I'd sit back in my chair to think of how improved the video game industry would be without the speartip of shitty movie games.

Hmm.. IDK but yeah, I think they are the spearhead of "movie games". I enjoy them tho but I can understand why some don't and their supposed negative effect on the industry.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

I wouldn't care. Planet Earth is still a shitty mess, with or without Naughty Dog.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

why is this even a thread?

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts
@Flubbbs said:

why is this even a thread?

For the trolls, there really isnt a reason this forum should exist

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I'm more curious if ND can break the streak they have with UC4. UC1 was ok. UC2 was great. UC3 was meh. TLOU was great. Will UC4 be great or another "meh" entry?

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Sony bought Naughty Dog years ago.

namelessnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 namelessnobody
Member since 2015 • 20 Posts

You can't lose something you outright own. If working conditions go to hell, or if Sony decides to axe employees, there could be an exodus of talent.

Sony's current financial straits have led it to sell assets and ditch expensive studios elsewhere. Hopefully Naughty Dog continues to be a standout performer. Their products really do stand out.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@batosaims: Sony is no longer in dire straits financially(they aren't losing money) and PlayStation is a key to the corporation's future strategy so I think it would be really hard to pry away key ND talent away if money was the only concern. They would be gone already if it was that simple. The worst times have past and they survived.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I'd say it'll never happen but i also thought that about Bungie leaving MS. If it did it would be a huge blow to Playstation as they are by far the No. 1 dev for the brand.

batosaims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By batosaims
Member since 2004 • 438 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

@batosaims: Sony is no longer in dire straits financially(they aren't losing money) and PlayStation is a key to the corporation's future strategy so I think it would be really hard to pry away key ND talent away if money was the only concern. They would be gone already if it was that simple. The worst times have past and they survived.

Because they finally turned a profit after a string of losses? No, come back after 3-5 years of Sony continuously turning a profit and then will talk. If someone offered ND employees a job with a substantially larger salary and the chance to work for a company that doesn't have to chop off their limbs to stay afloat like Sony does, they'd leave in a heart beat, you'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise.