We may be able to score another one for the 360: OXM reviewed LFD2 9.5!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
One, it's not an exclusive, and Two, OXM has horrid reviews.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

This isn't exculsive in any way shape or form. This is "System Wars", meaning it includes all systems. The PC is included also.

lundy86_4

It is only on one console. That is a way, shape, and form... all at once! The "System Wars, not Console Wars" point is so tired and misguided. You're right that this place is called System Wars, but that is because this is a forum where discussions on all systems are welcome. That does NOT mean that we therefore have to include the entire Benneton rainbow of systems in every thread, every post, every sentence, every breath, every thought. Think of it this way: if this were an MLB forum instead of a gaming one, and two people were debating the superiority of the Yankees vs. the Red Sox, would it not be silly for another forumite to wade in with the charge that they were somehow (and bizarrely) trying to pretend that the Detroit Tigers didn't exist? It would be absurd. Of course the Tigers exist, but they wouldn't be relevant to the topic at hand, and no one would try to claim that the two original debators were somehow trying to abuse the rules of the forum (and logic) by not including every bloody team in MLB in their discussion when the whole point of their focus was two specific teams. It seems to me that a rather large % of the traffic here in SW is a ******* war between the PS3 and the 360, and that when comparing those two systems, "console exclusivity" (or whatever you want to call it) holds some logical weight. Not as much as full exclusivity, certainly, but SOMETHING.

It isn't exclusive in the terms in which we apply it in this forum. Therefore it is not a way, shape or form ;)

All systems being welcome means we cannot exclude one for the benefit of the other. Meaning I am entitled to come in and also say "X game is on PC", and I cannot be held in the wrong for that. Therefore "Console Exclusive" does not work.

Not exclusive, it's spelled "console exclusive." And if by "we" you mean the gamers that populate this forum, then you must be wrong as the term is used daily. So the way, shape and form seem to be back.

Of course you can say that game X is on a PC. That would make it a factually correct statement. But it does not therefore follow that such a statement of fact would be logically relevant to every single discussion. After all, pointing out that, say, Mass Effect, is on the 360 and not the PS3 or Wii (the other consoles) is ALSO a factually correct statement in and of itself, not because it "excludes" the PC, but because it describes a fact that has nothing to do with what is or is not on the PC.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61551 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="dsmccracken"] It is only on one console. That is a way, shape, and form... all at once! The "System Wars, not Console Wars" point is so tired and misguided. You're right that this place is called System Wars, but that is because this is a forum where discussions on all systems are welcome. That does NOT mean that we therefore have to include the entire Benneton rainbow of systems in every thread, every post, every sentence, every breath, every thought. Think of it this way: if this were an MLB forum instead of a gaming one, and two people were debating the superiority of the Yankees vs. the Red Sox, would it not be silly for another forumite to wade in with the charge that they were somehow (and bizarrely) trying to pretend that the Detroit Tigers didn't exist? It would be absurd. Of course the Tigers exist, but they wouldn't be relevant to the topic at hand, and no one would try to claim that the two original debators were somehow trying to abuse the rules of the forum (and logic) by not including every bloody team in MLB in their discussion when the whole point of their focus was two specific teams. It seems to me that a rather large % of the traffic here in SW is a ******* war between the PS3 and the 360, and that when comparing those two systems, "console exclusivity" (or whatever you want to call it) holds some logical weight. Not as much as full exclusivity, certainly, but SOMETHING. dsmccracken

It isn't exclusive in the terms in which we apply it in this forum. Therefore it is not a way, shape or form ;)

All systems being welcome means we cannot exclude one for the benefit of the other. Meaning I am entitled to come in and also say "X game is on PC", and I cannot be held in the wrong for that. Therefore "Console Exclusive" does not work.

If by "we" you mean the gamers that populate this forum, then you must be wrong as the term is used daily. So the way, shape and form seem to be back. Of course you can say that game X is on a PC. That would make it a factually correct statement. But it does not therefore follow that such a statement of fact would be logically relevant to every single discussion. After all, pointing out that, say, Mass Effect, is on the 360 and not the PS3 or Wii (the other consoles) is ALSO a factually correct statement in and of itself, not because it "excludes" the PC, but because it describes a fact that has nothing to do with what is or is not on the PC.

Whether it's relevant to the discussion or not. It is on another system, and in these forums it counts as console exclusive. The fact remains it is not exclusive, and our debating will not change this.

It is on PC, it is not exclusive. I don't get the confusion... really :?

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

If by "we" you mean the gamers that populate this forum, then you must be wrong as the term is used daily. So the way, shape and form seem to be back. Of course you can say that game X is on a PC. That would make it a factually correct statement. But it does not therefore follow that such a statement of fact would be logically relevant to every single discussion. After all, pointing out that, say, Mass Effect, is on the 360 and not the PS3 or Wii (the other consoles) is ALSO a factually correct statement in and of itself, not because it "excludes" the PC, but because it describes a fact that has nothing to do with what is or is not on the PC.

Whether it's relevant to the discussion or not. It is on another system, and in these forums it counts as console exclusive. The fact remains it is not exclusive, and our debating will not change this.

Why do you keep saying exclusive? If it's on the PC, it is not exclusive. It's spelled "console exclusive." In your first sentence, you say that it counts as console exclusive? So we are in agreement.
BlackTragedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 BlackTragedy
Member since 2009 • 1830 Posts

right cause oxm isnt going to be biased in any way right.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
As usual this is system wars not Console wars
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="dsmccracken"] If by "we" you mean the gamers that populate this forum, then you must be wrong as the term is used daily. So the way, shape and form seem to be back. Of course you can say that game X is on a PC. That would make it a factually correct statement. But it does not therefore follow that such a statement of fact would be logically relevant to every single discussion. After all, pointing out that, say, Mass Effect, is on the 360 and not the PS3 or Wii (the other consoles) is ALSO a factually correct statement in and of itself, not because it "excludes" the PC, but because it describes a fact that has nothing to do with what is or is not on the PC.dsmccracken

Why do you keep saying exclusive? If it's on the PC, it is not exclusive. It's spelled "console exclusive." In your first sentence, you say that it counts as console exclusive? So we are in agreement.

Obviously I was not meant to type that. It was a typo, I meant to say it isn't console exclusive. The term console exclusive doesn't exist in these forums, as that excludes the PC system, which has been addressed here before. In fact there was a sticky stating that the PC counts as a system, and as such, we count any game on more than one system non-exclusive.

BlackTragedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 BlackTragedy
Member since 2009 • 1830 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="dsmccracken"] If by "we" you mean the gamers that populate this forum, then you must be wrong as the term is used daily. So the way, shape and form seem to be back. Of course you can say that game X is on a PC. That would make it a factually correct statement. But it does not therefore follow that such a statement of fact would be logically relevant to every single discussion. After all, pointing out that, say, Mass Effect, is on the 360 and not the PS3 or Wii (the other consoles) is ALSO a factually correct statement in and of itself, not because it "excludes" the PC, but because it describes a fact that has nothing to do with what is or is not on the PC.dsmccracken

yeah but its not platform exclusive. And since pc counts in sw thats what where going with

Rai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Rai
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts

How is this another point for the 360?... It's not even the superior version, let alone exclusive.

WAIW
THIS.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="BlackTragedy"]

yeah but its not platform exclusive. And since pc counts in sw thats what where going with

Don't confuse "SW" as the total sum of this forum with each and every thread that makes up the forum. There are threads where console exclusivity would be meaningless, and threads where it has ample meaning. A sweeping judgement on a piece of useful jargon, either for fear of abuse by fanboys or for fear of being undermined as a fanboy one's self, is a rash overreaction.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="Rai"][QUOTE="WAIW"]

How is this another point for the 360?... It's not even the superior version, let alone exclusive.

THIS.

It doesn't need to be superior, it just needs to be great and not on the system of it's direct competition, to be of at least SOME value.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 dsmccracken
As usual this is system wars not Console warscarlisledavid79
See above, my post on how tired and misguided this argument is.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Obviously I was not meant to type that. It was a typo, I meant to say it isn't console exclusive. The term console exclusive doesn't exist in these forums, as that excludes the PC system, which has been addressed here before. In fact there was a sticky stating that the PC counts as a system, and as such, we count any game on more than one system non-exclusive.

The term doesn't exist? No, it exists, it just doesn't have wide acceptance. Of course the PC counts as a system, but what people seem to miss is that, far from dismissing the PC or "pretending the PC doesn't exist," it actually does the opposite. PC recognition is implicit in the phrase itself. Were it not, we'd just be saying "exclusive." Recognition of the PC is what makes it "console exclusive" in the first place. And I stipulate that any game on more than one system is non-exclusive. But the phrase is not "exclusive", it's "console exclusive."
lespaul00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 lespaul00
Member since 2006 • 242 Posts

Why was exclusivity brought up in the first place? The TC simply implied that another high scoring game was coming to the 360. He mentioned exclusivity nowhere.

The problem is that some posters feel the need to play forum police and "remind" people that certain titles are not considered exclusive, even if it was never brought up to begin with. They like to claim they are only sticking to the rules by saying the game is also available on the PC. Technically, that is true. But please do not insult our intelligence and try to pretend there was no other motive there other than to "educate" people about the SW definition of exclusivity. Those statements are made to try to steal thunder from a system and somehow spin a AAA title into no longer counting for anything at all on a specific system. There will always be a benefit to one certain system having a title that another one does not have, regardless of whether or not it is available on more than one system.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="aia89"]

another great console exclusvie for the 360. I think it'll be AAA

If it is, it should OFFSET the Console Exclusives MLB08:The Show, Multiple BUZZ games, Mulitple SingStar Games, and AAA MLB2009:The Show!

Oh yeah, there is no console exclusives...

Also, I predict AA, but I would love to see an AAA score.

MLB09 is not console exclusive... no, I would label it a "current gen console exclusive." I will call it CGCE for short.
dylanmcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 dylanmcc
Member since 2008 • 2512 Posts

WAIW

Despite not being exclusive it is still an AAA game in the 360's library that isn't counted on PS3's.

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts

Sorry all Cows have a gaming PC capable of playing crysis at max settings.....unless it comes to Dragon Age, then they play their port to spite the Lemmings.

tempest91
soooo true, cept i play whatever i can on PC!
Nidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Nidget
Member since 2009 • 1325 Posts
I laugh at people who try to play off L4D2 meaning nothing. Believe it or not guys, its a game. A game that cows won't be playing, that definitely counts for something :wink:
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29834 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"] Console exclusive.dsmccracken

so you think console graphics king is silly but console exclusive isn't?

Correct.

well, i guess we agree to disagree. i don't think you can disregard the PC on one argument and include it on the other.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 dsmccracken

[QUOTE="dsmccracken"]

[QUOTE="clone01"] so you think console graphics king is silly but console exclusive isn't?clone01

Correct.

well, i guess we agree to disagree. i don't think you can disregard the PC on one argument and include it on the other.

The crux of our disagreement is not my disregarding the PC in some places while not in others. It is that I disagree that I am disregarding it at all, or at least the way some would seem to mean it here: in some sort of snub, or a disingenuous attempt to accrue glory to the 360 while absurdly denying the existence of the PC. To refer to my previous analogy, a debate in an MLB forum about the Sox vs.Yanks does not "disregard" the Detroit Tigers.

I think that "graphics king" is silly, NOT because I can't see any conditions where something like graphics can be debated between consoles, but because I'm not a graphics whore and I find graphics idolatry silly in and of itself.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="dsmccracken"] Why do you keep saying exclusive? If it's on the PC, it is not exclusive. It's spelled "console exclusive." In your first sentence, you say that it counts as console exclusive? So we are in agreement.dsmccracken

The term doesn't exist? No, it exists, it just doesn't have wide acceptance. Of course the PC counts as a system, but what people seem to miss is that, far from dismissing the PC or "pretending the PC doesn't exist," it actually does the opposite. PC recognition is implicit in the phrase itself. Were it not, we'd just be saying "exclusive." Recognition of the PC is what makes it "console exclusive" in the first place. And I stipulate that any game on more than one system is non-exclusive. But the phrase is not "exclusive", it's "console exclusive."

As a standardized term within System Wars, it does not exist. It exists as a fallback for some posters, but the fact is System Wars hasn't adopted it, either officialy or unofficially.

PC recognition is there, but not as a standalone system, considering you are dismissing the fact it's on that system aswell. It can be seen from two different viewpoints, not just one.how can it be non-exclusive if it's Console Exclusive? :? They are seemingly mutually exclusive of one another.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 clone01
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"]

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"] Correct.

The crux of our disagreement is not my disregarding the PC in some places while not in others. It is that I disagree that I am disregarding it at all, or at least the way some would seem to mean it here: in some sort of snub, or a disingenuous attempt to accrue glory to the 360 while absurdly denying the existence of the PC. To refer to my previous analogy, a debate in an MLB forum about the Sox vs.Yanks does not "disregard" the Detroit Tigers.

I think that "graphics king" is silly, NOT because I can't see any conditions where something like graphics can be debated between consoles, but because I'm not a graphics whore and I find graphics idolatry silly in and of itself.

well that would be your opinion. the way i see it, you think console graphics king is a silly term, because the PC can produce the best graphics. however, console exclusive is not silly, how? you can play it on a PC. its not exclusive. again, you're entitled to your opinion, but i disagree.
xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts
[QUOTE="WAIW"]

spike6566
i think he means. another point that the 360 is only known for being a multi plat box.

I think he means another possible AAA game available on the 360 but not the PS3.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#174 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
I laugh at people who try to play off L4D2 meaning nothing. Believe it or not guys, its a game. A game that cows won't be playing, that definitely counts for something :wink:Nidget
Unless they have a half decent PC. L4D doesn't have high requirements at all.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#175 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

WAIW
So adding another AAA game to a game library isn't "scoring"? Wow..
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"]

well, i guess we agree to disagree. i don't think you can disregard the PC on one argument and include it on the other.clone01

well that would be your opinion. the way i see it, you think console graphics king is a silly term, because the PC can produce the best graphics. however, console exclusive is not silly, how? you can play it on a PC. its not exclusive. again, you're entitled to your opinion, but i disagree.

It is fine if you disagree, but tread carefully when you attempt to infer why someone does or thinks something. You have a perception of console exclusive as a term, and of those who adopt it as jargon. As such, you now infer through that lense why I feel the way I do about graphics. You infer incorrectly. Graphics King is silly (imo) because graphics debates are silly, and always descend into pointless opinion-fests. Console exclusive is not an opinion, it is a factually correct description, and is not subject to opinion.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#177 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"] The term doesn't exist? No, it exists, it just doesn't have wide acceptance. Of course the PC counts as a system, but what people seem to miss is that, far from dismissing the PC or "pretending the PC doesn't exist," it actually does the opposite. PC recognition is implicit in the phrase itself. Were it not, we'd just be saying "exclusive." Recognition of the PC is what makes it "console exclusive" in the first place. And I stipulate that any game on more than one system is non-exclusive. But the phrase is not "exclusive", it's "console exclusive."

Maybe, but all that hinges on the term console, which by modern dictionary standards includes the PC. (Video game console)
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="Nidget"]I laugh at people who try to play off L4D2 meaning nothing. Believe it or not guys, its a game. A game that cows won't be playing, that definitely counts for something :wink:aaronmullan

Any cow can play it on their PC. But to do so, and to dismiss it because of that, requires stipulating that it takes a $300 PS3 + a minimum $500 PC to counter the 360's library.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="dsmccracken"] The term doesn't exist? No, it exists, it just doesn't have wide acceptance. Of course the PC counts as a system, but what people seem to miss is that, far from dismissing the PC or "pretending the PC doesn't exist," it actually does the opposite. PC recognition is implicit in the phrase itself. Were it not, we'd just be saying "exclusive." Recognition of the PC is what makes it "console exclusive" in the first place. And I stipulate that any game on more than one system is non-exclusive. But the phrase is not "exclusive", it's "console exclusive."Vandalvideo
Maybe, but all that hinges on the term console, which by modern dictionary standards includes the PC. (Video game console)

Yes, if that console is solely used for video games. Much like my PC.

It shows there are far too many ways to categorize things, and that one standard way of categorizing is needed, and is already in place.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"] The term doesn't exist? No, it exists, it just doesn't have wide acceptance. Of course the PC counts as a system, but what people seem to miss is that, far from dismissing the PC or "pretending the PC doesn't exist," it actually does the opposite. PC recognition is implicit in the phrase itself. Were it not, we'd just be saying "exclusive." Recognition of the PC is what makes it "console exclusive" in the first place. And I stipulate that any game on more than one system is non-exclusive. But the phrase is not "exclusive", it's "console exclusive."Vandalvideo

That is correct.... however I believe that OED got that one wrong. Yes, before you say it, I know that OED trumps me as the respected peer-reviewed source. But we all know what the word console means in this industry, to the gamers, to the devs, to the manufacturers themselves, to the everyone, and any definition where the word "console" is so open that it readily includes the PC, cell phones, hand-helds, even my old virtua-pet, clearly didn't do their due diligence.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#181 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
[QUOTE="aaronmullan"][QUOTE="Nidget"]I laugh at people who try to play off L4D2 meaning nothing. Believe it or not guys, its a game. A game that cows won't be playing, that definitely counts for something :wink:dsmccracken

Any cow can play it on their PC. But to do so, and to dismiss it because of that, requires stipulating that it takes a $300 PS3 + a minimum $500 PC to counter the 360's library.

But they have a PC anyway. So...
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 dsmccracken

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"] The term doesn't exist? No, it exists, it just doesn't have wide acceptance. Of course the PC counts as a system, but what people seem to miss is that, far from dismissing the PC or "pretending the PC doesn't exist," it actually does the opposite. PC recognition is implicit in the phrase itself. Were it not, we'd just be saying "exclusive." Recognition of the PC is what makes it "console exclusive" in the first place. And I stipulate that any game on more than one system is non-exclusive. But the phrase is not "exclusive", it's "console exclusive."lundy86_4

It shows there are far too many ways to categorize things, and that one standard way of categorizing is needed, and is already in place.

Incorrect. If we go by OED, "solely" using it for games is not a prerequisite.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Maybe, but all that hinges on the term console, which by modern dictionary standards includes the PC. (Video game console)dsmccracken

Thanks, I know, i'm not stating it as a definative, just as a loose use of the word.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#184 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="aaronmullan"] Unless they have a half decent PC. L4D doesn't have high requirements at all.aaronmullan

They are still using 2 systems to bring down one, what kind of cows are they?:lol: I thought the PS3's library could hold it's own, maybe not after all...

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="aaronmullan"] Unless they have a half decent PC. L4D doesn't have high requirements at all.aaronmullan

There we have it. They "have one" anyway, like it sprouted spontaneously and free from their desk the second they moved into the apartment. Do you find it odd that one of the main knocks against hermits in PC vs. whatever debates is cost... yet for cows, they "have one anyway." So PC gaming costs nothing (or doesn't need to be factored in to gaming cost). Hermits will be so pleased. ATTENTION ALL HERMITS!!! PC GAMING IS FREE AS OF RIGHT NOW, AS DECIDED BY THE COW HIVE MIND!!!! PC gaming always won, but this bovine gift really is too generous!
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 dsmccracken

Maybe, but all that hinges on the term console, which by modern dictionary standards includes the PC. (Video game console)Vandalvideo

That is not what your post seemed to say. As for your point about one "standard" that is already in place, would you not say that that standard, developed before things like 360/PC games, timed exclusivity, unequal multiplats, exclusive dlc, exclusive expansions, and more has become a little dated, and MORE than a little unequal to the task of describing what was once so simple during NES vs. SMS days, but is now not so simple? I sure would.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"] That is correct.... however I believe that OED got that one wrong. Yes, before you say it, I know that OED trumps me as the respected peer-reviewed source. But we all know what the word console means in this industry, to the gamers, to the devs, to the manufacturers themselves, to the everyone, and any definition where the word "console" is so open that it readily includes the PC, cell phones, hand-helds, even my old virtua-pet, clearly didn't do their due diligence.

Last time we had this discussion we got this far, but it raises an interesting question that I never got your take on. If it is the case that the OED is wrong and there are 'consoles', given the recent developments in the 'console' space, just what are consoles now? Surely being standardized doesn't make them a console, because of the recent skus. Surely being able to know which games will run doesn't make them consoles, because many of the PS3s won't play certain games, while others will. Surely not having installations doesn't make them consoles, because the PS3 and 360 both have this feature, with the PS3 being mandatory in many instances. Surely having a first party supporter doesn't make them consoles, because then we would call Dells consoles. Surely being small doesn't make them consoles, otherwise the new ATX computers would be consoles. So what makes a console................a console?
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 lundy86_4

dsmccracken

That is not what your post seemed to say. As for your point about one "standard" that is already in place, would you not say that that standard, developed before things like 360/PC games, timed exclusivity, unequal multiplats, exclusive dlc, exclusive expansions, and more has become a little dated, and MORE than a little unequal to the task of describing what was once so simple during NES vs. SMS days, but is now not so simple? I sure would.

Like I said, not everything works if we have too many ways to categorize things. Yes if we were running a database and cross-categorizing wasn't a problem, but solely for this forum, it's confusing and overly complicated. If we start breaking it down by "Console Exclusive", would we not soon have "Company Exclusive" (ie, MLB 09: The Show) etc?

Maybe it has become less simple, however like I said, including too many categories is gonna make for one heck of a mess and even more contradictions.

Myzz617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Myzz617
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

Seriously who really wants to play this on their 360 esp if you own a gaming rig? I downloaded the Demo but never got around to playing it yet but as far as it being another point for the 360 I will not be buying this for my 360. The better combination for me is my PS3/Pc collection as i have the least games on 360 and barely play it.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 dsmccracken
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"] That is correct.... however I believe that OED got that one wrong. Yes, before you say it, I know that OED trumps me as the respected peer-reviewed source. But we all know what the word console means in this industry, to the gamers, to the devs, to the manufacturers themselves, to the everyone, and any definition where the word "console" is so open that it readily includes the PC, cell phones, hand-helds, even my old virtua-pet, clearly didn't do their due diligence.

Last time we had this discussion we got this far, but it raises an interesting question that I never got your take on. If it is the case that the OED is wrong and there are 'consoles', given the recent developments in the 'console' space, just what are consoles now? Surely being standardized doesn't make them a console, because of the recent skus. Surely being able to know which games will run doesn't make them consoles, because many of the PS3s won't play certain games, while others will. Surely not having installations doesn't make them consoles, because the PS3 and 360 both have this feature, with the PS3 being mandatory in many instances. Surely having a first party supporter doesn't make them consoles, because then we would call Dells consoles. Surely being small doesn't make them consoles, otherwise the new ATX computers would be consoles. So what makes a console................a console?

You say that you never got my take on this. Incorrect, you have (on more than one occasion) raised these very points previously, with others including myself, and received my response. I suppose this is to be expected, memory fades with time, I'm as guilty of that as anyone. What you are alluding to is the blurring of the lines between consoles and the PC. You are correct, there has been blurring. Less so for the Wii than the other two, but it is occuring, and it's getting... is worse the right word? Stronger? Whatever, it's growing. I can say this, though... this blurring may necessitate an OED definition that would seem to in some ways include the PC, but it sure as **** shouldn't include my cell phone, or my old virtua pet. But on a point for point basis, most of your listings at least to some extent do describe a "console." Your listed the points skewed towards implying that what once made a console a console is falling away (different skus, installs, games supported), however I could argue that while some of these characteristics are seeing alterations not seen in previous gens, more is staying the same than is changing. My slim PS3, at it's core, delivers essentially the same thing that a launch 60GB sku did for it's owner. BC taken away, rumble added, a port taken away, but we're still playing the same games and watching blurays. Further, for all the progress through the years, my PS3 essentially fills the same function that my NES did in 1987. It's a dedicated piece of hardware meant primarily for gaming that attaches to my TV and runs off of proprietary software. There may be blurring, sure, but the console still exists as an entity seperate from the PC.
chessik101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 chessik101
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts

WAIW

leave it to a hermet.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="WAIW"]

chessik101

leave it to a hermet.

To tell the truth?
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 clone01
It is fine if you disagree, but tread carefully when you attempt to infer why someone does or thinks something. You have a perception of console exclusive as a term, and of those who adopt it as jargon. As such, you now infer through that lense why I feel the way I do about graphics. You infer incorrectly. Graphics King is silly (imo) because graphics debates are silly, and always descend into pointless opinion-fests. Console exclusive is not an opinion, it is a factually correct description, and is not subject to opinion.dsmccracken
but wouldn't you agree that PC simply has superior technical specifications, which would move it out of the realm of opinion?
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 clone01
[QUOTE="aaronmullan"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"] Any cow can play it on their PC. But to do so, and to dismiss it because of that, requires stipulating that it takes a $300 PS3 + a minimum $500 PC to counter the 360's library.dsmccracken

There we have it. They "have one" anyway, like it sprouted spontaneously and free from their desk the second they moved into the apartment. Do you find it odd that one of the main knocks against hermits in PC vs. whatever debates is cost... yet for cows, they "have one anyway." So PC gaming costs nothing (or doesn't need to be factored in to gaming cost). Hermits will be so pleased. ATTENTION ALL HERMITS!!! PC GAMING IS FREE AS OF RIGHT NOW, AS DECIDED BY THE COW HIVE MIND!!!! PC gaming always won, but this bovine gift really is too generous!

i definitely do agree with this. there is certainly a mentality of hiding behind the PC here.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"] But on a point for point basis, most of your listings at least to some extent do describe a "console." Your listed the points skewed towards implying that what once made a console a console is falling away (different skus, installs, games supported), however I could argue that while some of these characteristics are seeing alterations not seen in previous gens, more is staying the same than is changing. My slim PS3, at it's core, delivers essentially the same thing that a launch 60GB sku did for it's owner. BC taken away, rumble added, a port taken away, but we're still playing the same games and watching blurays. Further, for all the progress through the years, my PS3 essentially fills the same function that my NES did in 1987. It's a dedicated piece of hardware meant primarily for gaming that attaches to my TV and runs off of proprietary software. There may be blurring, sure, but the console still exists as an entity seperate from the PC.

I took out the first part of the post because that basically boils down to opinion. On to the next part. Now you're getting into degrees though. However, that isn't sufficient to establish consoles are independent from PCs. Merely because consoles have more standardization doesn't mean they're the only ones with standardization. If you want to have a term, you need to find something for that nomenclature which is unique to that nomenclature. If you can't find that unique thing, then the taxonomy just doesn't work. A crab is not a mussel, because the mussel is a bottom feeder. What is it about consoles that is unique? I need clear, defined parameters which set consoles apart. Things are changing, thats a given. If things are at all different, then it doesn't qualify as a way to measure the nomenclature. There are PCs out there mean't explicitly for the task of gaming as well, so that classification does you no good.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#196 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="aaronmullan"] But they have a PC anyway. So... clone01

i definitely do agree with this. there is certainly a mentality of hiding behind the PC here.

He is dishing out quite a bit of ownage.
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
*Sigh* On here 360/PC or "console exclusive" don't hold hardly any regard on here.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#198 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
[QUOTE="chessik101"]

[QUOTE="WAIW"]

Ace6301

leave it to a hermet.

To tell the truth?

What truth? if it was true, consoles wouldn't exist. Because according to SW, everyone owns a high end gaming rig and it only cost them 500$.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="chessik101"]leave it to a hermet.

xsubtownerx

To tell the truth?

What truth? if it was true, consoles wouldn't exist. Because according to SW, everyone owns a high end gaming rig and it only cost them 500$.

Nah, $600 for a mid-range gaming rig. Only a few wil say that can get you high-end.

Plus L4D2 is superior on PC, with enhanced graphics.

ThatGuyFromB4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 ThatGuyFromB4
Member since 2009 • 697 Posts

Do cows not see how pathetic it is that they need TWO systems to counter the 360's library?