Uncharted 4 game director leaves Naughty Dog

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/...es-naughty-dog (URL Changed)

Link

Justin Richmond, who was working on Uncharted PS4 as game director, has left developer Naughty Dog.

"I have in fact made the decision to leave Naughty Dog," Richmond told IGN. "I love the company and the people and know that they will continue to create awesome games going forward. On a happier note, after careful consideration and exploration I have joined Riot Games. There is some really innovative stuff going on here that I can't wait to be a part of."

Previously, Richmond oversaw Uncharted 2: Among Thieves' multiplayer and worked as game director on Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. He had been with Naughty Dog since 2008.

Lol, people are fleeing Sony left and right. And again Cows will say "Nothing to see here. Everythings fine" as the house burns down around them.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Good Uncharted 3 paled in comparison.

Side note, we can also talk about all the people who have left MS. Though this is really fucking bizarre so many people are just leaving EVERYWHERE.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Oh no!

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Just let the A team from last of Us handle it. Smart moves all around.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Vaporware.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shawn30

@Animal-Mother said:

Side note, we can also talk about all the people who have left MS. Though this is really fucking bizarre so many people are just leaving EVERYWHERE.

Something is happening behind the scenes at Sony and people are getting out. Its not just restructuring cause thee are game writers and directors heading for the hills, not graphic artists and similar smaller roles. I'm not preaching doom is around the corner. But seriously, something is going on that the public isn't aware of yet at Sony.

bfmv2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bfmv2007
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

All these big names in gaming are stepping down. Sony and Microsoft have both lost key people, and several big name developers have lost their key people. Makes you wonder where their going, and why they are all stepping down at the same time. Wouldn't it be crazy if something like the Dreamcast 2 is in the making, and all these people stepping down are secretly moving onto that? I know that's not the case, but it is a bit suspicious.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Is ND becoming Rare 2.0?

I know there has been internal turmoil with Druckmann but this is getting out of hand.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

This is not good. Naughty dog was the last great thing sony had, and now even they are going down the toilet.

PS4 just becomes more and more worthless by the day.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@bfmv2007 said:

All these big names in gaming are stepping down. Sony and Microsoft have both lost key people, and several big name developers have lost their key people. Makes you wonder where their going, and why they are all stepping down at the same time. Wouldn't it be crazy if something like the Dreamcast 2 is in the making, and all these people stepping down are secretly moving onto that? I know that's not the case, but it is a bit suspicious.

If anything it has to do with mobile devices, not the 3ds or the Vita either I'm talking smart phones.

It's a sad world we live in lately.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shawn30
@RR360DD said:

This is not good. Naughty dog was the last great thing sony had, and now even they are going down the toilet.

PS4 just becomes more and more worthless by the day.

Loading Video...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@shawn30:

Its like being on the deck of the Titanic, watching the first people casually get into the row boats LOL. In all seriousness. there are major restructuring changes going on at Sony. This is not over. Studios will lose manpower. ND is a super talented team, they'll make a great game.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

Lol at the lems parading in this thread when this guy was the same creative mind responsible for UC3 for all we know the pressure might have been on him to leave for a while now.

Sony's still got their godly software team, don't worry.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Animal-Mother

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Something is happening behind the scenes at Sony and people are getting out. Its not just restructuring cause thee are game writers and directors heading for the hills, not graphic artists and similar smaller roles. I'm not preaching doom is around the corner. But seriously, something is going on that the public isn't aware of yet at Sony.

Who says they're heading for the hills? Typical Fanboy PR. People leave a company and just because it's sony devs the whole house is burning down.

Marc whitten,don mattrick, bungie a whole dev left, or the couple studios MS has shut down over the past couple of years and everything is fine at Microsoft.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

This guy was probably on the same side of the losing battle with Hennig. TLOU team is basically taking over Uncharted 4, which cannot be spun as a bad thing considering they made Uncharted 2. There is definitely something going on with Sony studios though. The impact can't be judged until these devs release their next games though.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ReadingRainbow4

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Who says they're heading for the hills? Typical Fanboy PR. People leave a company and just because it's sony devs the whole house is burning down.

Marc whitten,don mattrick, bungie a whole dev left, or the couple studios MS has shut down over the past couple of years and everything is fine at Microsoft.

Nokia 2.0. Gotta get the market share up first, trust in Elop.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By shawn30

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Microsoft made 25 billion last quarter. Sony lost 1.1 billion, has lost money every quarter for years now, and has sold buildings to cover debts. Who is in good shape and who isn't? Again, this could and likely is just alot of restructuring going on. But again, maybe its not...

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PinkieWinkie
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

New gen. People move around. He wasn't part of the A team, just trimming the fat

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Ummm I am not sure if anyone has asked this...

But please point me to where this says he was directing Uncharted 4?

If not this thread needs a lock and ban. Lots of desperate lemmings posting false information lately.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I love the excuses cows use. "Well all of these people leaving doesn't matter they sucked". Classic.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Ouch!

And cows will still keep on denying and downplay this.

He's now on Riot Games, I guess he got tired of making interactive movies.

RIP ND

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animal-Mother

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Microsoft made 25 billion last quarter. Sony lost 1.1 billion, has lost money every quarter for years now, and has sold buildings to cover debts. Who is in good shape and who isn't? Again, this could and likely is just alot of restructuring going on. But again, maybe its not...

But yet again all these people "getting out" (listen to your language) is a problem for sony.

4 people left 343 within 6 months and everythings roses and chocolate at that studio. But for sony when people leave the house is on fire.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/uncharted_4/news/halo_programmer_corrinne_yu_leaves_343_for_naughty_dog_and_ps4.html

http://teambeyond.net/kenneth-scott-leaves-343-industries/

http://teambeyond.net/scott-warner-leaves-343-industries/

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/24/former-gearbox-programmer-leaves-343-industries-for-naughty-dog.aspx

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

Huh...at first I thought all these people leaving was just a coincidence and it probably still is, but damn....they just keep piling up. I don't care whether you are a fan of Sony or not, this harms the overall gaming community more and more each time someone leaves. These people are talented no matter how you try and sugar coat it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Just let the A team from last of Us handle it. Smart moves all around.

Another instance of SONY TCOB. Really awesome to watching. Nothing going on here except the by gamers for gamers mantra in motion guys. Thanks for the heads up, we needed some GOOD SONY news today,.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

Yes, it was horrible.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Considering he already has a secure job elsewhere, no real harm done. Plus UC2 (which was directed by the TLOU team) & TLOU >>>>> UC1 & 3.

Agreed.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Animal-Mother

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Yes, it was horrible.

I wouldn't call it horrible, just waaaaaaaay under the bar.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@WadeFan said:

Huh...at first I thought all these people leaving was just a coincidence and it probably still is, but damn....they just keep piling up. I don't care whether you are a fan of Sony or not, this harms the overall gaming community more and more each time someone leaves. These people are talented no matter how you try and sugar coat it.

Um you are in this thread. Why don't you do your job.

Thread title say Uncharded 4 director leaves Naughty Dog.

Can you confirm if he was Uncharted 4's director from the link the TC posted because I don't see that anywhere, or are you just going to add on to what is possibly a false and misleading thread?

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Yes, it was horrible.

I would.....I didn't enjoy it at all

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Animal-Mother

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Yes, it was horrible.

I would.....I didn't enjoy it at all

I can definitely see why people didn't I did manage to squeeze some blood and fun out of it htough

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Lol at the lems parading in this thread when this guy was the same creative mind responsible for UC3 for all we know the pressure might have been on him to leave for a while now.

I sense an attitude.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

Good for him! He's choosing another path and taking his career higher, honestly people are going to come in here and say "Teh Sony is doomed!!! Teh Sony is bankrupt" They'll be fine and Uncharted will still be great on PS4, there's amazing talent in the industry and when one person leaves another ones come right up.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12322 Posts

Aside from Stig and the layoffs, everyone else has left on their own accord. Just because their retention rate seems low, doesn't mean the studios are in trouble. Let me ask you this, given the chance, who wouldn't want to direct Uncharted 4? It also opens up space to promote internally.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#38 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@casharmy said:

@WadeFan said:

Can you confirm if he was Uncharted 4's director from the link the TC posted because I don't see that anywhere, or are you just going to add on to what is possibly a false and misleading thread?

It states in the article that he is the director, the title of the article on IGN says that he was the director... Can you not read?

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I sense an attitude.

Ok? Uc2 and TLOU are their best games, it's only fitting they should get their best and brightest to work on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Hmmm, this is probably the only departure i'm worried about. Hope it doesn't affect UC4 adversely.

Fingers crossed Neil Druckmann takes over.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I really don't think that someone of his experience will have an issue finding another job in this industry. Its not like he's going to be stuck at Starbucks is he?

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

@casharmy said:

@WadeFan said:

Excuse me? Lose the attitude for one and two, it clearly is NOT misleading.

The title of the article :

Uncharted 4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves Naughty Dog

And the very first paragraph:

Justin Richmond, who was working on Uncharted PS4 as game director, has left developer Naughty Dog.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So he worked on what people seem to consider the crappier parts of Uncharted (MP, and UC3) and he went to work with the people who make LoL

I'll give that an "eh"

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

I can understand leaving after the game is fully developed. But during the development cycle? Something is up at sony.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Nothing to see here people, everything is absolutely going as planned over at Sony.

@shawn30 No need to argue with @Animal-Mother he is convinced this happens everywhere in the games industry. The funny thing is we can count on our hand the amount of weeks that have gone by that Sony has not had bad news, either someone leaving, poor financials, or a game getting canned.

There really is nothing to see because it is the typical Sony news that comes along every week.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shawn30

@WadeFan: LMAO!!!! Reading isnt his forte

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9866 Posts

Hmmm seems like my two favourite Sony studios (ND and SSM) are having trouble. Glad I waited to get a Ps4.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Riot games is right across from Naughty Dog. Riot probably gave him a better offer.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#50 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@WadeFan said:

@casharmy said:

@WadeFan said:

Excuse me? Lose the attitude for one and two, it clearly is NOT misleading.

The title of the article :

Uncharted 4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves Naughty Dog

And the very first paragraph:

This. If he would have clicked the link, then he would have noticed his arrogance.