Tomb Raider sells 1 million in less than 48 hours

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

[QUOTE="Liquid_"][QUOTE="Sweenix"]

uncharted 3 sold 3.8m in 48 hours :)

I_can_haz

raped

:lol: TC was owned instantly!

You really don't believe it sold that much in 48 hours do you? :lol:

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
That's incredible, but why the fvck does PS3 exclusives have anything to do with this?
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 rjdofu
[QUOTE="Liquid_"][QUOTE="Sweenix"]

I_can_haz
raped

That was ship number son.
OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

[QUOTE="I_can_haz"][QUOTE="Liquid_"] rapedrjdofu

I'm pretty sure these are too.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#55 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Game is excellent. I can't remember the last time I played a game for 4 strait hours and was upset I had to quit. Probably in my top 5 for the generation.

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts
Well deserved.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="I_can_haz"]:lol: TC was owned instantly!OneLazyAsian

Don't see any "ship" word in the article, neither from the Eidos Admin mouth.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

That's incredible, but why the fvck does PS3 exclusives have anything to do with this?rjdofu

Because Tomb Raider isn't available on PS3 of course. j/k

OR

Because of the Uncharted Tomb Raider comparison's over the years. Consider this mentality. If we can change the perception of Tomb Raider to a AAA super franchise as it was over a decade ago. If we can get gamers to view this TR as being the Uncharted Killer and definitive Uncharted-like experience, it helps justify other gaming habits. 

One way to change perception is to talk about this TR being a sales phenom, which in turn will be like Uncharted never happened, or at least never was needed as a franchise, and therefore it's not a bad thing that certain gamers never played the series....that's the best I can figure if you are sincere on an answer.

It comes down to jealousy and/or justification...but using a platform agnostic title is odd considering the source of these sales. It's also odd considering this game's sales are based on multiple machines like Call of Duty and Madden. We may as well compare every game series to Call of Duty and Madden.

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

[QUOTE="OneLazyAsian"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"] That was ship number son.rjdofu

Didn't see "ship" in Sony's statement either until people started pressing them for info. I just don't see how Eidos managed to track sell through numbers. If it came from a source like NPD, I would have no questions of the numbers.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

So I wonder if that means it's even now or profitable at this point?

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]That's incredible, but why the fvck does PS3 exclusives have anything to do with this?SolidTy

Because Tomb Raider isn't available on PS3 of course.

OR

Because of the Uncharted Tomb Raider comparison's over the years. Consider this mentality. If we can change the perception of Tomb Raider to a AAA super franchise as it was over a decade ago. If we can get gamers to view this TR as being the Uncharted Killer and definitive Uncharted-like experience, it helps justify other gaming habits. 

One way to change perception is to talk about this TR being a sales phenom, which in turn will be like Uncharted never happened, or at least never was needed as a franchise, and therefore it's not a bad thing that certain gamers never played the series....that's the best I can figure if you are sincere on an answer.

It comes down to jealousy and/or justification...but using a platform agnostic title is odd.

Nah I wasn't so serious about the question (or wanting an answer from TC to be specific), since, well, it's Strongdeadlift lol.

However, your answer is quite interesting 'cus I didn't thought much about people justification of skipping certain games just because other game does really well in sale (and last time I check Uncharted did really well as well). That's pretty pathetic way of thinking if you ask me. But I wouldn't be so surprise if that kind of argument will be used in the future.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="OneLazyAsian"]

OneLazyAsian

Didn't see "ship" in Sony's statement either until people started pressing them for info. I just don't see how Eidos managed to track sell through numbers. If it came from a source like NPD, I would have no questions of the numbers.

Hmm, good point, i'm not saying it's impossible to track, but I think waiting for other more reliable source for more specific number would be better; at that time we may have a proper comparison. But even devs can mix up the 2 term i supposed. Nice number nonetheless.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

Uncharted MP is so bad they made it free because nobody would pay for that Sh#t. :lol:

xhawk27

a

Uncharted MP is extemely popular moron...even to day people still play UC2 MP.a

Also if you didn't know PS3 owners don't pay to play online. That is broke ass Xbox gamers that can't afford Live Gold...

Every MP game on the Xbox 360 is still better than Uncharted MP 2 and 3. 

Please keep talking like an idiot. It amuses me.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]a

Uncharted MP is extemely popular moron...even to day people still play UC2 MP.a

Also if you didn't know PS3 owners don't pay to play online. That is broke ass Xbox gamers that can't afford Live Gold...

StrongBlackVine

I am joking. You fell for it. :lol: Uncharted MP is below average at best but it's ok if you like that type of MP gaming. 

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Congratulations to Crystal Dynamics.

I haven't played the game myself, but everyone I talk to is very happy with it. Some of the Tomb Raider fans are going so far as to call it the best game in the series.

As for the Uncharted comparisons... it's not really fair. For one thing, Uncharted is an exclusive. Tomb Raider is a multiplatform title, meaning the potential for more sales is already there. It should sell well. Secondly, this game didn't move as many copies as the Uncharted games did in their opening days, and I honestly don't see it selling as much down the road. Naughty Dog games are events, while Tomb Raider games haven't been a major force in the industry for years.

Hopefully, this game changes that as it looks very good, but to expect commercial or critical success on the level of the Uncharted titles is absurd, and smacks of a fanboy desperation to discredit Uncharted by propping up Tomb Raider.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 StrongBlackVine

I haven't played the game myself, but everyone I talk to is very happy with it. Some of the Tomb Raider fans are going so far as to call it the best game in the series.

As for the Uncharted comparisons... it's not really fair. For one thing, Uncharted is an exclusive. Tomb Raider is a multiplatform title, meaning the potential for more sales is already there. It should sell well. Secondly, this game didn't move as many copies as the Uncharted games did in their opening days, and I honestly don't see it selling as much down the road. Naughty Dog games are events, while Tomb Raider games haven't been a major force in the industry for years.

Hopefully, this game changes that as it looks very good, but to expect commercial or critical success on the level of the Uncharted titles is absurd, and smacks of a fanboy desperation to discredit Uncharted by propping up Tomb Raider.

DarkLink77

I am huge Uncharted fan, but I have been a Tomb Raider since it was first released on the PS1 and this reboot is better than all the Uncharted games...scores be damned. Lara is just a better character and I think this could be a franchise moves 4-5 million per entry after seeing how this game turned out.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

xhawk27

I am joking. You fell for it. :lol: Uncharted MP is below average at best but it's ok if you like that type of MP gaming. 

I'm not much of MP gamer, but I know Uncharted MP is pretty good.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

StrongBlackVine

I am huge Uncharted fan, but I have been a Tomb Raider since it was first released on the PS1 and this reboot is better than all the Uncharted games...scores be damned. Lara is just a better character and I think this could be a franchise moves 4-5 million per entry after seeing how this game turned out.

I hope it moves a lot of copies, too, and frankly it looks like a game I will dig more than the Uncharted series. It will also be my first real Tomb Raider game. That said, I don't think it will sell better because Tomb Raider is re-building its brand recognition, and Uncharted is a huge series.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Well deserved, game is surprisingly good.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#70 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:MLBknights58

I thought it was proven shortly after this was revealed that this was units shipped, not sold?

Or something along those lines.  I remember whatever went down was hilarious.

Shipped is sold to the company.. the company got the money from the 3.8 Million they shipped, a company does not ship something for free... companies ship products to stores for the stores to sell to people so the company that ships their products already got their money and its up to the stores to sell the items... again shipping a product goes not happen for free.

do people here even go to school?

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:Sweenix

/Thread.

That was quick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Impressive numbers, but its a MULTIPLATFORM game. I fail to see the correlation between PS3 exclusives and a MULTIPLATFORM game. Why single out the PS3?

Oh wait, it's the TC =

77b.jpg

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts
Which console did it sold more on?
Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts
I need to get this game when I get paid tomorrow. Still deciding which console.
Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

So, I heard the new Tomb Raider is structured like a Metroidvania... is this true?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:StrongDeadlift

LEVEL 5 ends the thread?  Congrats to a Level 5 poster with 71 posts, I wonder if the first 70 are as Epic. :P

He said in the last 15 months. UC 3 came out before that.
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]That's incredible, but why the fvck does PS3 exclusives have anything to do with this?SolidTy

Because Tomb Raider isn't available on PS3 of course. j/k

OR

It comes down to jealousy and/or justification...but using a platform agnostic title is odd considering the source of these sales. It's also odd considering this game's sales are based on multiple machines like Call of Duty and Madden. We may as well compare every game series to Call of Duty and Madden.

Preety much agree with all you said, it seems as if once a Tomb Raider thread starts, there is an instant mention of Uncharted in it. I guess it makes sense since Hermits and Lemmings are looking for the Uncharted killer. Also i wonder what other companies would be looking for a survival horror reboot when The Last of Us becomes a success, cause as we can clearly see, a formular for success means we are most likely going to get a rebooth. Perhaps Resident Evil may wana go The Last Of Us on us soon too

megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 megaspiderweb09

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

StrongBlackVine

Thats absolutely subjective as i cannot define what you are infering to as ''better character''

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

Thread Recap:

Lem = "Uncharted sucks, Tomb Raider is the best."

Cows = "I can play both, naner, naner."

Hermit = "looks best on PC"

Sheep = "Something something blah blah blah mario" *cry more*

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

megaspiderweb09

Thats absolutely subjective as i cannot define what you are infering to as ''better character''

Hate to break it to you, but pretty much every declaration of "X is a better character than Y" is subjective unless you want to get into an in-depth analysis of the writing.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

That's good to hear, though I'll be waiting a little. Heard of plenty issues in PC version, I'll wait for them to get fixed.

Think some $20-30 will be a fair price for this game...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts
Underworld didn't do so hot, but this reboot seems to have put back some life into the franchise. Good to hear. I absolutely loved it. Working on my 2nd playthrough now.
resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

the game was meh. no shorts on lara, no dual pistols, no gymastics major fail  it better be in the next game of tomb raider

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Underworld didn't do so hot, but this reboot seems to have put back some life into the franchise. Good to hear. I absolutely loved it. Working on my 2nd playthrough now.

wow, how long did it take to finish the first run?

12-13 hours. After that I collected all collectibles, which took about 2 hours. I'm gonna do the challenges later because I really wanted to go through it again.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Underworld didn't do so hot, but this reboot seems to have put back some life into the franchise. Good to hear. I absolutely loved it. Working on my 2nd playthrough now.

Holy sh!t, you beat that fast.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#87 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
great sales deserve more sales tomb raider its fantastic game
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#88 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

This is good news.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Underworld didn't do so hot, but this reboot seems to have put back some life into the franchise. Good to hear. I absolutely loved it. Working on my 2nd playthrough now.

Holy sh!t, you beat that fast.

It was hard to put down :P
Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#91 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Great news the game is excellent.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

I'll get it when it's -75% on Steam ...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="sts106mat"] wow, how long did it take to finish the first run?

12-13 hours. After that I collected all collectibles, which took about 2 hours. I'm gonna do the challenges later because I really wanted to go through it again.

i've played an hour or two of tomb raider so far, i want to try and finish it before bioshock, (probably gonna end up getting gears too) so that length of playtime should be easy enough

Yeah, you should've beaten it by the time Judgment arrives.
AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts
That's incredible, but why the fvck does PS3 exclusives have anything to do with this?rjdofu
because the TC is a lem
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 megaspiderweb09

[QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

DarkLink77

Hate to break it to you, but pretty much every declaration of "X is a better character than Y" is subjective unless you want to get into an in-depth analysis of the writing.

I think we are on the same page bro, so no debate here

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

When did Tomb Raider become the stick used to beat Uncharted with?

Great numbers for Lara, she's getting alot of publicity and marketing though, seen tons of ads, she's plastered all over buses ands billboards.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

good, been playing it almost finished and i think is great, if the franchise continues like this i'll gladly buy

off topic: it's sad how obssesed with ps3 and the eventual ps4 domination tc is, comparing a multiplat game sales against a single system sales, really sad :lol:

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

When did Tomb Raider become the stick used to beat Uncharted with?

Great numbers for Lara, she's getting alot of publicity and marketing though, seen tons of ads, she's plastered all over buses ands billboards.

Zaibach

never, for ps3 uers its great they get yet another addition to the genre, but lems are always jelly of exclusives so they are trying to downplay uncharted now :lol: (with a multiplat which is more sad since its also on ps3 d'uh)

the sad thing is only one system gets to play both :cool:

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
"meh" game. I'll probably play it when its $15 (or being given away on PSN+)Nengo_Flow
"meh" game, never played it. Fail.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]"meh" game. I'll probably play it when its $15 (or being given away on PSN+)MBirdy88
"meh" game, never played it. Fail.

Welcome to System Wars.

Enjoy your stay :P