Tomb Raider sells 1 million in less than 48 hours

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Good to hear and it deserves far more.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
"meh" game. I'll probably play it when its $15 (or being given away on PSN+)
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Lol.

It is an excellent game and I'm absolutely loving it.  Deserves it.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:

The fact that it's not exclusive to a single platform means more access to more gamers, so it's not surprising that it would sell many copies.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts
[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:

The fact that it's not exclusive to a single platform means more access to more gamers, so it's not surprising that it would sell many copies.

Not exactly. Tomb Raider has not been great for a long time. And if multiplat sales were a guarantee, Dead Space would not now be cancelled.
Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:StrongDeadlift

uncharted 3 sold 3.8m in 48 hours :)

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:Sweenix

raped
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:Sweenix

I thought it was proven shortly after this was revealed that this was units shipped, not sold?

Or something along those lines.  I remember whatever went down was hilarious.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StrongDeadlift

Lol, I was in that thread arguing on behalf of Uncharted, and it was debunked.  

You know just as good as any that Uncharted didnt sell that much on launch day.  

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

LEVEL 5 ends the thread?  Congrats to a Level 5 poster with 71 posts, I wonder if the first 70 are as Epic. :P

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sweenix

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:MLBknights58

I thought it was proven shortly after this was revealed that this was units shipped, not sold?

it was shipped, but so are these figures, it also proves that ucharted shipped 3x the amount while exclusive to 1 platform, it's ovbiously sold over the 3.8m now

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:MLBknights58

It was. IGN was trolling for hits.

The numbers were shipped, not sell through numbers, even thought IGN told everyone Sony confirmed to them that they were shipped.......only to later admit it they made a mistake (aka. they let cows run wild so they could get hits :D ) and Sony actually said they were shipped.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Gee. I haven't even bought my copy yet. I would've bought it today at Wal-Mart as an impulse buy. But, they either don't have it yet for the PC or it's sold out.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

Sweenix

it was shipped, but so are these figures, it also proves that ucharted shipped 3x the amount while exclusive to 1 platform, it's ovbiously sold over the 3.8m now

Well yes, but I believe you were referring to the amount it sold over the course of 48 hours, not "by now".

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

Sweenix

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
With all the bombast, discussion, and marketing this game got, I would have been shocked had it not broken a million copies sold so quickly.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

Gee. I haven't even bought my copy yet. I would've bought it today at Wal-Mart as an impulse buy. But, they either don't have it yet for the PC or it's sold out.

jun_aka_pekto
I know Steam was selling it for 44.99 if you preordered.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
It's a great game and it deserves the sales. Glad to hear it's doing well.
Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sweenix

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:StrongDeadlift

you use vgchartz alot, and they have uncharted 3 at 5.7m http://www.vgchartz.com/game/49054/uncharted-3-drakes-deception/

so if you deny that 5.7m figure, then it will prove how invalid you really are

also, both of these figures are shipped

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

MLBknights58

Well yes, but I believe you were referring to the amount it sold over the course of 48 hours, not "by now".

This.

Also, not sure why Uncharted 3 is being brought up ITT :?. Uncharted 3 came out in 2011. There STILL hasnt been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that sold over a million copies to date, let alone in 24 hours :)

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

Sweenix

you use vgchartz alot, and they have uncharted 3 at 5.7m http://www.vgchartz.com/game/49054/uncharted-3-drakes-deception/

And how many months ago did Uncharted 3 come out :roll:

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

Don't believe it for an instant. Only Halo could sell that much in 48 hours. :cool:

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sweenix

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Lol, I was in that thread arguing on behalf of Uncharted, and it was debunked.  

StrongDeadlift

nnd how many months ago did Uncharted 3 come out :roll:

around 15 months :)

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:xhawk27

Don't believe it for an instant. Only Halo could sell that much in 48 hours. :cool:

Dont worry.....that would mean Uncharted outsold Halo 4, Halo Reach, Halo 3, Gears 3, 2, and 1's day one launch numbers :lol:
Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:SolidTy

LEVEL 5 ends the thread?  Congrats to a Level 5 poster with 71 posts, I wonder if the first 70 are as Epic. :P

To be fair, the topic creator said in the "last 15 months." If you bothered to put that, I'm sure he knew that there have been PS3 exclusives that have exceeded that amount. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception actually came out 16 months ago. I think the point was to exclude the most recent example and use the actual length of time passed to make it look as bad as possible.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

SolidTy

Well the source in the article clearly states "sold", not "shipped".

I can't seem to pull up anything else regarding sales figures for Tomb Raider yet however.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

Sweenix

You know EXACTLY how many months ago Uncharted 3 came out

And you KNOW it wasnt 15 months ;)

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

Sweenix

Ahaha, this is very true.

November 1st, 2011.  March 7, 2013.  That's 16 months later.  Regardless of how close it is, it still isn't 15, therefore doesn't meet criteria for the purpose of this thread discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

Sweenix

Exclusives sell pretty well on both X360 and PS3. I don't see the reasoning behind lemmings saying PS3 games don't sell. Uncharted 3 and Gears 3 are neck to neck.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Murderstyle75

I know Steam was selling it for 44.99 if you preordered.

Nah. I'm the old-fashioned type who must have his physical disc unless it's DD-only (eg Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light).

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sweenix

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

StrongDeadlift

close enough :)

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

SolidTy

Do you have any proof of that?  

The only cases Ive ever seen of someone passing off shipped SOFTWARE sales as "sell through" numbers has been Sony.  

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#34 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Great. I'd love to see a sequel. Since Tomb Raider's a big budged action game now, it's going to need those numbers to get a sequel.
Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

MLBknights58

November 1st, 2011.  March 7, 2013.  That's 16 months later.  Regardless of how close it is, it still isn't 15.

That's the reason he said 15. It'd be different if it was something like 12, but 15 just makes it seem like he's trying to get as close as possible without letting them have it.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

Sweenix

Great. When you find a PS3 exclusive thats sold over a million copies in the past 15 months, let me know :)
beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

Good sh*t. Just beat the game like 5 hours ago. Great game tbh. Finally a reboot done entirely right (not half right like lets say.. DMC).

Hope it sells very very good.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#38 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts
Bill and Ted: Not bad!
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StrongDeadlift
[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

Drasonak

November 1st, 2011.  March 7, 2013.  That's 16 months later.  Regardless of how close it is, it still isn't 15.

That's the reason he said 15. It'd be different if it was something like 12, but 15 just makes it seem like he's trying to get as close as possible without letting them have it.

I originally typed "in the past year", but I wanted to include ALL of 2012, + the few months up until now. So I just put "15" :)
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

StrongDeadlift

Great. When you find a PS3 exclusive thats sold over a million copies in the past 15 months, let me know :)

Why the arbitrarily drawn line?
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

false tomb raider game QTE and too many cutscenes=not gameplay and it's taking away minutes of gameplay game could of had.

This just proves too many idiots buy into review scores.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MLBknights58

false tomb raider game QTE and too many cutscenes=not gameplay and it's taking away minutes of gameplay game could of had.

nextgenjoke

Have you played the game?

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

nextgenjoke

Shut up. The game has an average of about 86 on Metacritic. That doesn't usually make people run out to buy a dying franchise. Get over yourself because the old Tomb Raider games are dead this rebirth is a MASSIVE success.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xhawk27

Uncharted MP is so bad they made it free because nobody would pay for that Sh#t. :lol:

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Uncharted MP is so bad they made it free because nobody would pay for that Sh#t. :lol:

xhawk27

a

Uncharted MP is extemely popular moron...even to day people still play UC2 MP.a

Also if you didn't know PS3 owners don't pay to play online. That is broke ass Xbox gamers that can't afford Live Gold...

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xhawk27

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

StrongBlackVine

a

Uncharted MP is extemely popular moron...even to day people still play UC2 MP.a

Also if you didn't know PS3 owners don't pay to play online. That is broke ass Xbox gamers that can't afford Live Gold...

Every MP game on the Xbox 360 is still better than Uncharted MP 2 and 3. 

Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts
With all the bombast, discussion, and marketing this game got, I would have been shocked had it not broken a million copies sold so quickly.1PMrFister
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
well deserved. Great game. Beautiful on PC too.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#49 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Well thats what happens when you reduce something with its own identity into a generic action-shooter.

Its an incredibly conservative game for a reboot. 

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts
[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]http://www.gamechup.com/tomb-raider-sells-1-million-in-less-than-48-hours/ Impressive numbers. There has not been a PS3 exclusive in the last 15 months that has sold over a million copies in its LIFETIME, let alone in 48 hours :lol:Liquid_

raped

:lol: TC was owned instantly!