The Wii has more power than you think

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts

People have been underestimating the Wii's hardware limitations, especially fanboys and developers. But after reading this article and watching this video, it certainly proved them wrong.

Article : http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/07/wii-has-more-power-than-you-think.html

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8gfDWI42p0&feature=channel_page

PS. It will be much more preferrable if you watch the video first THEN read the article.

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
Article is from: Monday, July 30, 2007 So is this a "just wait" sort of point? Certainly that's what the video was saying. "The Wii just needs to be unlocked." lol People said that about the PS3 and got flamed for it. But it's ok to say that about the Wii huh? :roll:
Avatar image for ace-of-spades93
ace-of-spades93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ace-of-spades93
Member since 2008 • 2456 Posts
Does it now...........
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Then why aren't major third party titles like Dead Rising 2 on the Wii? It started production after the PS3 and Wii came out and is coming to the PS3.
Avatar image for MasterDefender3
MasterDefender3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MasterDefender3
Member since 2009 • 264 Posts

Youppi!! 3 times CPU power of last gen XBoX...BIG DEAL!

These are just inacurate calculations but still...

PS2 = 333Mhz Emotion engine / PS3 multi-cores running AT 3,2 Ghz CELL = 9.6 times stronger = Estimation = 10 times stronger X 6 cores = 60 times stronger

Why did i even do this calculation?? Stop wasting my time!! Wii is weak

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

LOL

You made me waste my time. :cry:

That video is full of excuses, of things that should be but aren't. I:roll: at the part were it says The Conduit looks like a 360 game.

This is a joke thread right?:?

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

I have to believe we would see a game that compares to 360 by now , and since we really haven't, i think its just a fanatasy.

We have the developers of The Conduit passionatly wanting to push the Wii to its limits, so I think the system kind of peaks there. IMO.

And even if it did somehow get the same graphics. What would the framerate be? It's not a powerhouse system and no game has proven otherwise.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

To put it bluntly, the Wii has weak hardware. Anyone saying otherwise is delusional. It has a lot of limitations that prevent that heavy PC/360/PS3 hitters from ever releasing on it.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Regardless of how much cough *power* cough it may have, Nintendo can't be bothered with it seeing as how its system along with the shovelware are selling like hotcakes.

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
When Nintendo makes the Wii Zelda game people will shut their mouths.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

When Nintendo makes the Wii Zelda game people will shut their mouths.Master-Thief-09

I guess that means it won't be jaw dropping...

Avatar image for MasterDefender3
MasterDefender3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MasterDefender3
Member since 2009 • 264 Posts
When Nintendo makes the Wii Zelda game people will shut their mouths.Master-Thief-09
You're funny. Ain'T gona much more than SMG
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I have to believe we would see a game that compares to 360 by now , and since we really haven't, i think its just a fanatasy.

We have the developers of The Conduit passionatly wanting to push the Wii to its limits, so I think the system kind of peaks there. IMO.

And even if it did somehow get the same graphics. What would the framerate be? It's not a powerhouse system and no game has proven otherwise.

flazzle

Hahahahaha :lol:

You are right, even THotD : O has frame rate issues.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gxgear

Yeah another Zelda game to milk your poor folks.

Fab92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fab92
Member since 2008 • 123 Posts
I want to see this 'power',actually.
Myzz617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Myzz617
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

PS2 = 333Mhz Emotion engine / PS3 multi-cores running AT 3,2 Ghz CELL = 9.6 times stronger = Estimation = 10 times stronger X 6 cores = 60 times stronger

MasterDefender3
Lolz with these numbers not worth watching vid or reading article.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

flazzle

If anything I think people overrate the 360's graphics. They really aren't much better than the Wii's.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts

You guys can say what you want, but with all the shovelware it is obvious that developers are lazy, thus the reason why the Wii isn't being used properly.

And if you say that you don't think the Conduit looks at all like a 360 game, you probably haven't seen it in person. :roll:

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
[QUOTE="Master-Thief-09"]When Nintendo makes the Wii Zelda game people will shut their mouths.MasterDefender3

Zelda games always push Nintendo's system. OOT did, TP did, Zelda Wii will. SMG was an 07 game, it can only look better. SMG ran at 60fps, Zelda games run at 30fps.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
^ The poster above makes a good argument.. Specs are nothing more than calculated benchmarks hardware manufacturers think a system's capable of.. It doesn't necessarily mean real world functions. On paper the wii seems more powerfual than the original XB, but Ubisoft stated there are things that the original XB can do, that the wii can't.. That right there tells me that the wii isn't as powerful as some would have you to believe.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gxgear

[QUOTE="MasterDefender3"][QUOTE="Master-Thief-09"]When Nintendo makes the Wii Zelda game people will shut their mouths.Master-Thief-09

Zelda games always push Nintendo's system. OOT did, TP did, Zelda Wii will. SMG was an 07 game, it can only look better. SMG ran at 60fps, Zelda games run at 30fps.

Zelda had some great games, but they were no technological marvel.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
Then why aren't major third party titles like Dead Rising 2 on the Wii? It started production after the PS3 and Wii came out and is coming to the PS3.foxhound_fox
Well what I don't get is if gamecube could output REmake why cant other devs do something like that. It shows that the wii Can be powerful though not as powerful
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
it's not that the developers are being lazy it just really isn't all that powerful. If metroid prime and mario galaxy look zero like any 360 game, i doubt any wii game will look like a 360 game. The conduit just employs shiny looking textures like what early 360 was, such as pd-zero. Except the conduit will look like a gimped pd-zero. I'm not sure why this thread was created, it isn't as powerful as ps3 or 360, which isn't as powerful as pc. So the wii is the weakest, therefore who really cares if the wii looks better than 8 year old ps2 tech. If it didn't i would wonder what the hell nintendo was doing during the design stages.
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pices
[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"]it's not that the developers are being lazy it just really isn't all that powerful. If metroid prime and mario galaxy look zero like any 360 game, i doubt any wii game will look like a 360 game. The conduit just employs shiny looking textures like what early 360 was, such as pd-zero. Except the conduit will look like a gimped pd-zero. I'm not sure why this thread was created, it isn't as powerful as ps3 or 360, which isn't as powerful as pc. So the wii is the weakest, therefore who really cares if the wii looks better than 8 year old ps2 tech. If it didn't i would wonder what the hell nintendo was doing during the design stages.

Trust me, its the lazy developers. Look at the video and article again and again till you fully understand it. WE ALL KNOW that the Wii is not powerful as 360/Ps3 but that does not mean that it is horribly weak.
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
I don't know what the majority of people here think, but i'd guess they think the Wii is 'just' powerful enough to match the PS2. - Wrong. Looking at specs and noting that each system do things differently - the Wii is supposed to be at least on par with Xbox 1. What is and isn't possible, is not the problem here. The problem lies in all those publishers not willing to give a good budget for a Wii game and letting their b-grade developers handle those projects. A good looking game still requires talent, effort and time - regardless of platform. And these 3 things aren't being spent on the Wii but on the PS3/360/PC side of the market. It's no coincidence that the best looking games made by 1st party is significantly better looking than the 3rd party games.
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pices
Sheep, can you honestly believe that Nintendork has some hidden power in its washed up console? So developers just *think* it doesn't; that's why they release inferior ports on the Wii, and not because of hardware limitations.JabbaDaHutt30
This really proves my point that people like you know NOTHING about the Wii.
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
[QUOTE="Pangster007"]I don't know what the majority of people here think, but i'd guess they think the Wii is 'just' powerful enough to match the PS2. - Wrong. Looking at specs and noting that each system do things differently - the Wii is supposed to be at least on par with Xbox 1. What is and isn't possible, is not the problem here. The problem lies in all those publishers not willing to give a good budget for a Wii game and letting their b-grade developers handle those projects. A good looking game still requires talent, effort and time - regardless of platform. And these 3 things aren't being spent on the Wii but on the PS3/360/PC side of the market. It's no coincidence that the best looking games made by 1st party is significantly better looking than the 3rd party games.

riight :| http://wii.ign.com/articles/956/956473p1.html Much of the visuals and audio haven't changed from the two versions, so don't expect much new beyond the widescreen mode.
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
Sheep, can you honestly believe that Nintendork has some hidden power in its washed up console? So developers just *think* it doesn't; that's why they release inferior ports on the Wii, and not because of hardware limitations.JabbaDaHutt30
only a sane mind know the wii can do more than what we see now. the gamecube was able to do some crazy stuff graphically when it was pushed. only a few companies actually pushed the tech in the gamecube. those star wars games on the gamecube was graphically intense and still looks great up to todays standards. a person have to be a total idiot, to think the wii cant do more than what we seen on the gamecube. the fact is that most wii arent receiving big budgets, to produce games that can actually pull from the wii tech. again factor 5 was the guys who are or were suppose to demonstrate the power of the wii. you saying what your saying based on what you see, but if you actually know what sheep knows, who actually follow wii activities and stuff relating to it, then you would know what they know.
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
[QUOTE="Pices"][QUOTE="Mckenna1845"]it's not that the developers are being lazy it just really isn't all that powerful. If metroid prime and mario galaxy look zero like any 360 game, i doubt any wii game will look like a 360 game. The conduit just employs shiny looking textures like what early 360 was, such as pd-zero. Except the conduit will look like a gimped pd-zero. I'm not sure why this thread was created, it isn't as powerful as ps3 or 360, which isn't as powerful as pc. So the wii is the weakest, therefore who really cares if the wii looks better than 8 year old ps2 tech. If it didn't i would wonder what the hell nintendo was doing during the design stages.

Trust me, its the lazy developers. Look at the video and article again and again till you fully understand it. WE ALL KNOW that the Wii is not powerful as 360/Ps3 but that does not mean that it is horribly weak.

I know it's not horribly weak, but it's still the weakest. I never thought it had ps2 power, i just look at smg to know that. The console still can't do 360 or ps3 graphics no matter what you do with it you can fake things and remove things, but you can't have the full thing if the hardwares not powerful enough.
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rahnyc4
"Factor 5: Wii engine 'does everything the PS3 did, and then some" there special engine could have done wonders
JabbaDaHutt30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JabbaDaHutt30
Member since 2009 • 370 Posts

You guys can say what you want, but with all the shovelware it is obvious that developers are lazy, thus the reason why the Wii isn't being used properly.

And if you say that you don't think the Conduit looks at all like a 360 game, you probably haven't seen it in person. :roll:

SoraX64

The Conduit doesn't look anything like a recent, great-looking Xbox360 IP. It looks similar in terms of graphics quality to Half-Life 2 (without the episodes), which was released at the end of 2004.

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Adrian_Cloud
[QUOTE="JabbaDaHutt30"]Sheep, can you honestly believe that Nintendork has some hidden power in its washed up console? So developers just *think* it doesn't; that's why they release inferior ports on the Wii, and not because of hardware limitations.Rahnyc4
only a sane mind know the wii can do more than what we see now. the gamecube was able to do some crazy stuff graphically when it was pushed. only a few companies actually pushed the tech in the gamecube. those star wars games on the gamecube was graphically intense and still looks great up to todays standards. a person have to be a total idiot, to think the wii cant do more than what we seen on the gamecube. the fact is that most wii arent receiving big budgets, to produce games that can actually pull from the wii tech. again factor 5 was the guys who are or were suppose to demonstrate the power of the wii. you saying what your saying based on what you see, but if you actually know what sheep knows, who actually follow wii activities and stuff relating to it, then you would know what they know.

riight :| http://wii.ign.com/articles/956/956473p1.html Much of the visuals and audio haven't changed from the two versions, so don't expect much new beyond the widescreen mode.
cheese7monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 cheese7monkey
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts
damnit, why did factor 5 have to go out business? they actually used the tech properly grr!!! i also want to see what the wii is actually capable of....
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rahnyc4
[QUOTE="SoraX64"]

JabbaDaHutt30

The Conduit doesn't look anything like a recent, great-looking Xbox360 IP. It looks similar in terms of graphics quality to Half-Life 2 (without the episodes), which was released at the end of 2004.

the environment doesnt look better, but the models and particle effects does. then again your comparing a company like valve to high voltage, is that even fair?
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rahnyc4
[QUOTE="cheese7monkey"]damnit, why did factor 5 have to go out business? they actually used the tech properly grr!!! i also want to see what the wii is actually capable of....

well if the rumor is true, then they still are working on the game they originally were working on on the wii.
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pices
[QUOTE="SoraX64"]

JabbaDaHutt30

That picture of the Conduit was when the game was in it's early BETA. Hack, you can check that they changed the health bar system. And second, playing a game is way different than watching pictures/videos. People in the NY CC didn't even believe that it was a Wii game.

JabbaDaHutt30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JabbaDaHutt30
Member since 2009 • 370 Posts
[QUOTE="JabbaDaHutt30"][QUOTE="SoraX64"]

Rahnyc4

the environment doesnt look better, but the models and particle effects does. then again your comparing a company like valve to high voltage, is that even fair?

Both images accurately display the visuals of both game environments during gameplay, so yes, it is fair. Company reputation has nothing to do with graphics comparisons.

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#39 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
[QUOTE="Pangster007"]I don't know what the majority of people here think, but i'd guess they think the Wii is 'just' powerful enough to match the PS2. - Wrong. Looking at specs and noting that each system do things differently - the Wii is supposed to be at least on par with Xbox 1. What is and isn't possible, is not the problem here. The problem lies in all those publishers not willing to give a good budget for a Wii game and letting their b-grade developers handle those projects. A good looking game still requires talent, effort and time - regardless of platform. And these 3 things aren't being spent on the Wii but on the PS3/360/PC side of the market. It's no coincidence that the best looking games made by 1st party is significantly better looking than the 3rd party games.Adrian_Cloud

Did you just seriously link me to a comparison of a gamecube game to the same gamecube game with added Wiimote controls as a way of proving a point? And how is this related to what i was saying?
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"][QUOTE="JabbaDaHutt30"]

JabbaDaHutt30

Both images accurately display the visuals of both game environments during gameplay, so yes, it is fair. Company reputation has nothing to do with graphics comparisons.

That is fair, but I will also add that the 360 has very few games that look better than HL2. So it can be concluded that the Wii isn't that far behind.

_rpg_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 _rpg_FAN
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts
[QUOTE="MasterDefender3"]

lol please dont pull my tongue (fingers) i dont want to insult you but PS3 DOES not have 6 cores where did you get that from??? its such lie PS3 have 1 core with 6-7 threads if im not mistaken
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
A bunch of mis-informed nonsense written by somebody without even the slightest bit of knowledge about graphics hardware. TEV is not some super-secret hidden weapon brimming with "powah", it's a primitive and precursor to proper pixel shaders. It's extremely limited compared to full programmable hardware in the 360 or PS3's GPU's, or even the Xbox GPU. I'm sure developers have found clever ways to use it to produce neat effects, but that's a far far cry from "you could do everything the 360 does, but different". It's an overclocked GameCube chip...it can only go so far.
OPuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 OPuniverse
Member since 2009 • 1943 Posts
wii's power can run crysis better than pc :P:P
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Adrian_Cloud
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="Pangster007"]I don't know what the majority of people here think, but i'd guess they think the Wii is 'just' powerful enough to match the PS2. - Wrong. Looking at specs and noting that each system do things differently - the Wii is supposed to be at least on par with Xbox 1. What is and isn't possible, is not the problem here. The problem lies in all those publishers not willing to give a good budget for a Wii game and letting their b-grade developers handle those projects. A good looking game still requires talent, effort and time - regardless of platform. And these 3 things aren't being spent on the Wii but on the PS3/360/PC side of the market. It's no coincidence that the best looking games made by 1st party is significantly better looking than the 3rd party games.Pangster007

Did you just seriously link me to a comparison of a gamecube game to the same gamecube game with added Wiimote controls as a way of proving a point? And how is this related to what i was saying?

Its a first party game, that is a remake of an older title on gamecube and doesn't look any better. How can you expect such great things from the third party developers, when 1st party devs can't even deliver a superior product to a game thats 3 years old. The best looking wii games are from third party devs, Okami and RE4.
McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 McdonaIdsGuy
Member since 2008 • 3046 Posts
A bunch of mis-informed nonsense written by somebody without even the slightest bit of knowledge about graphics hardware. TEV is not some super-secret hidden weapon brimming with "powah", it's a primitive and precursor to proper pixel shaders. It's extremely limited compared to full programmable hardware in the 360 or PS3's GPU's, or even the Xbox GPU. I'm sure developers have found clever ways to use it to produce neat effects, but that's a far far cry from "you could do everything the 360 does, but different". It's an overclocked GameCube chip...it can only go so far.Teufelhuhn
Well the overclocked gamecube ran the COD4 engine :P which pretty impressive for the hardware...
cheese7monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 cheese7monkey
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts
"Its a first party game, that is a remake of an older title on gamecube and doesn't look any better. How can you expect such great things from the third party developers, when 1st party devs can't even deliver a superior product to a game thats 3 years old. The best looking wii games are from third party devs, Okami and RE4." well someone likes talking out their ass ever heard of galaxy, ssbb, nmh (the models and textures are actually ridiculously good), or disaster? plus, pplay control is a gamecube port with wii controls, not a remake, of course they won't upgrade the graphics, they're being released at half price
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]A bunch of mis-informed nonsense written by somebody without even the slightest bit of knowledge about graphics hardware. TEV is not some super-secret hidden weapon brimming with "powah", it's a primitive and precursor to proper pixel shaders. It's extremely limited compared to full programmable hardware in the 360 or PS3's GPU's, or even the Xbox GPU. I'm sure developers have found clever ways to use it to produce neat effects, but that's a far far cry from "you could do everything the 360 does, but different". It's an overclocked GameCube chip...it can only go so far.McdonaIdsGuy
Well the overclocked gamecube ran the COD4 engine :P which pretty impressive for the hardware...

So what? What does the COD4 engine do that's special? It's still not much different from the old Quake 3 engine that it's based off, except with some modern shaders, shadows, and post-process effects (things that I'm sure aren't present or severely limited in the Wii version).
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Adrian_Cloud
[QUOTE="cheese7monkey"]"Its a first party game, that is a remake of an older title on gamecube and doesn't look any better. How can you expect such great things from the third party developers, when 1st party devs can't even deliver a superior product to a game thats 3 years old. The best looking wii games are from third party devs, Okami and RE4." well someone likes talking out their ass ever heard of galaxy, ssbb, nmh (the models and textures are actually ridiculously good), or disaster? plus, pplay control is a gamecube port with wii controls, not a remake, of course they won't upgrade the graphics, they're being released at half price

you ever PLAY THOSE games. yea, why wouldn't they upgrade graphics for a game released when 2003? SIX YEARS AGO. That would just be too much work for them to make the graphics better. from what i've played and this is clearly show in Brawl, is that Wii is only capable of producing last gen graphics. Okami and RE4 look ALOT better than NMH.
obamanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 obamanian
Member since 2008 • 3351 Posts
Frankly i would take the upcoming XBLA 2D RPG visuals over any Wii game visuals, simply because of the promised stunning 2D art AND the full 720p HD resolution that art will come in