The Wii has more power than you think

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

A bunch of mis-informed nonsense written by somebody without even the slightest bit of knowledge about graphics hardware. TEV is not some super-secret hidden weapon brimming with "powah", it's a primitive and precursor to proper pixel shaders. It's extremely limited compared to full programmable hardware in the 360 or PS3's GPU's, or even the Xbox GPU. I'm sure developers have found clever ways to use it to produce neat effects, but that's a far far cry from "you could do everything the 360 does, but different". It's an overclocked GameCube chip...it can only go so far.Teufelhuhn

I find it ironic that you call the original subject mis-informed. Its true that the concept was used pre Geforce3 series but it doesn't make it primitive. And please don't confuse its unique differences from traditional gpu design as a lack of features. TEV is a sophisticated blender not a pixil shader. Bottom line is that it works because its a space and cost efficiant way of performing multi-pass rendering.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
Frankly i would take the upcoming XBLA 2D RPG visuals over any Wii game visuals, simply because of the promised stunning 2D art AND the full 720p HD resolution that art will come inobamanian
Ya we know you'd take any RPG over ANYTHING. By the way, Flower, Madworld, and Echochrome are going to be the most "arty" games this generation
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#53 Grinning_Demon
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts
So TEV is primitive now? uh-huh, good to know, carry on then...
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#54 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
[QUOTE="Pangster007"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"] riight :| http://wii.ign.com/articles/956/956473p1.html Much of the visuals and audio haven't changed from the two versions, so don't expect much new beyond the widescreen mode.Adrian_Cloud
Did you just seriously link me to a comparison of a gamecube game to the same gamecube game with added Wiimote controls as a way of proving a point? And how is this related to what i was saying?

Its a first party game, that is a remake of an older title on gamecube and doesn't look any better. How can you expect such great things from the third party developers, when 1st party devs can't even deliver a superior product to a game thats 3 years old. The best looking wii games are from third party devs, Okami and RE4.

I do know that that is a remake of an older title on the gamecube. And why doesn't it look that much better other than the 16:9 aspect ratio? Because that aspect is what hasn't been worked on. It's the exact same game with added control options, that's it. I can expect 3rd party devs to to produce great things because 1st party devs have been delivering products superior to those games years ago - a few examples, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3. Okami and RE4 are last gen games even though they still look great but they are hardly THE indicators to use for the Wii system. Especially when the Wii is backwards compatible with GC games and can play RE4 GC. Okami is a beautiful game, but it is still a port from the PS2 which is less powerful than even the GC. Or are you going to deny that?
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]A bunch of mis-informed nonsense written by somebody without even the slightest bit of knowledge about graphics hardware. TEV is not some super-secret hidden weapon brimming with "powah", it's a primitive and precursor to proper pixel shaders. It's extremely limited compared to full programmable hardware in the 360 or PS3's GPU's, or even the Xbox GPU. I'm sure developers have found clever ways to use it to produce neat effects, but that's a far far cry from "you could do everything the 360 does, but different". It's an overclocked GameCube chip...it can only go so far.DaBrainz

I find it ironic that you call the original subject mis-informed. Its true that the concept was used pre Geforce3 series but it doesn't make it primitive. And please don't confuse its unique differences from traditional gpu design as a lack of features. TEV is a sophisticated blender not a pixil shader. Bottom line is that it works because its a space and cost efficiant way of performing multi-pass rendering.

Of course it's primitive, it's technology that was new and hot 8 years ago. There's nothing "sophisticated" about it: it let's you do an extremely limited number of math and texture operations. Graphics Hardware has evolved significantly since the DX7-era.
cheese7monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56 cheese7monkey
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]you ever PLAY THOSE games. yea, why wouldn't they upgrade graphics for a game released when 2003? SIX YEARS AGO. That would just be too much work for them to make the graphics better. from what i've played and this is clearly show in Brawl, is that Wii is only capable of producing last gen graphics. Okami and RE4 look ALOT better than NMH.

yes, i played every game i mentioned and you mentioned they should but won't give a graphics update because it's nothing more than a port, like virtua console, only for gamecube if they did a graphics overhall, they'd practically have to remake it, in which case they'd have to charge full price and if you play no more heroes and actually look close at the models or the textures, you'll notice how ridiculously good they both are, as in 360 standard unfortunatly they were overshadowed by a poor lighting system and cel shaded graphics don't believe me? http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/action/heroes/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-47795726&pid=933024&tag=topics;title http://gonintendo.com/?p=70543 http://www.pimp-productions.com/media/screenshots/badgirl-promo.jpg http://i43.tinypic.com/2n6dlpt.jpg "To answer the question about 'texture quality', yes - these are the original untouched textures. They are of 512x512 and 1024x1024 quality on average, which only furthers the idea that this title originally started out on another system, as a game designed solely to display at 480p wouldn't really need textures this high in resolution (256x256 to 512x512 would be the highest you'd normally see" so yeah, i actually know what i'm talking about
Syferonik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Syferonik
Member since 2006 • 3060 Posts
Wii is GC but not GC 1.5 like some say but actually GC 1.0. Mario Galaxy could have been done on Xbox1-GC and that the best looking game on Wii which came out longggg ago plus ZERO game that looks at least on Mario Galaxy level are on the Wii horizon.
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
no no it truely is severely underpowered ...
cheese7monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 cheese7monkey
Wii is GC but not GC 1.5 like some say but actually GC 1.0. Mario Galaxy could have been done on Xbox1-GC and that the best looking game on Wii which came out longggg ago plus ZERO game that looks at least on Mario Galaxy level are on the Wii horizon.Syferonik
way to completely ignore every piece of evidence put forward, good thing you make decent arguments and not just presumptions/straight out lies
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Your comparing the wii to last gen the ENTIRE time ... just because it isnt last gen doesnt mean its not this gen buddy. Compare it to the PS3 and 360 and you will see that it doesn't fit in either. So instead lets call it: "Some other generation we never labeled"
GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts
[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]A bunch of mis-informed nonsense written by somebody without even the slightest bit of knowledge about graphics hardware. TEV is not some super-secret hidden weapon brimming with "powah", it's a primitive and precursor to proper pixel shaders. It's extremely limited compared to full programmable hardware in the 360 or PS3's GPU's, or even the Xbox GPU. I'm sure developers have found clever ways to use it to produce neat effects, but that's a far far cry from "you could do everything the 360 does, but different". It's an overclocked GameCube chip...it can only go so far.Teufelhuhn

Of course it's primitive, it's technology that was new and hot 8 years ago. There's nothing "sophisticated" about it: it let's you do an extremely limited number of math and texture operations. Graphics Hardware has evolved significantly since the DX7-era.

How many games have you developed? And which part of those games did you work on?
GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts
Your comparing the wii to last gen the ENTIRE time ... just because it isnt last gen doesnt mean its not this gen buddy. Compare it to the PS3 and 360 and you will see that it doesn't fit in either. So instead lets call it: "Some other generation we never labeled"ColdfireTrilogy
Gens aren't and have never been about processing power. Gens are based on time periods...
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#63 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
sorry but so far wii has shown me nothing cant coud'nt have been done on gc or xbox except for brawl because it needed a duel layer disc
dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts
Hey TC, that youtube video was awesomely LAME.

And yeah, the Wii has more power, more CASUAL Power. 8)
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#65 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
Two year later and it still hasn't even topped the original Xbox's best. No matter how you spin that, it's downright pathetic. Specs don't dictate better technical graphics, I'll believe it when I see it.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#66 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
well it is 2x more powerful then gc so ya its powerful enough galay and a few other games prove it
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Your comparing the wii to last gen the ENTIRE time ... just because it isnt last gen doesnt mean its not this gen buddy. Compare it to the PS3 and 360 and you will see that it doesn't fit in either. So instead lets call it: "Some other generation we never labeled"ColdfireTrilogy

The dreamcast was in limboland and it was much more of a step up than the wii is.

I don't see why people are arguing over this. The wii is cheap, old technology fitted with motion sensing after 2 gens of being behind Sony. That was nintendo's strategy and it worked extremely well.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 hakanakumono
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="DaBrainz"]

GundamGuy0

How many games have you developed? And which part of those games did you work on?

How many have you? There is nothing preventing someone who hasn't developed games from being knowledgable.

Worst argument ever.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Is it 2006 or am I lost? Seriously, trying to tell us the wii is powerful is a waste of time especially on SW where people don't listen to logic. The Wii is weak, deal with it. What I have trouble understanding is how people think the wii is going to pump out graphics that are drastically better than last gen? The best looking wii game won't look much better than the best looking xbox game if even that. Don't delude yourselves people, nobody tried to hide that the wii is weak, why are you dwelling on it?

Just out of curiousity though, why do people act like the xbox was so much more powerful than the gamecube? From what I've seen and heard, the xbox was a little more powerful but not drastically and from what the best games have shown, that seems to be true.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
[QUOTE="SoraX64"]

You guys can say what you want, but with all the shovelware it is obvious that developers are lazy, thus the reason why the Wii isn't being used properly.

And if you say that you don't think the Conduit looks at all like a 360 game, you probably haven't seen it in person. :roll:

JabbaDaHutt30

The Conduit doesn't look anything like a recent, great-looking Xbox360 IP. It looks similar in terms of graphics quality to Half-Life 2 (without the episodes), which was released at the end of 2004.

Exactly. And HL2 looks about as good as the average 360 game.
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
That article and video are laughable. Until I see some graphically groundbreaking game on the Wii I cannot believe it has any potential to produce good looking games.
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Grinning_Demon

That article and video are laughable. Until I see some graphically groundbreaking game on the Wii I cannot believe it has any potential to produce good looking games.PS2_ROCKS

WTF???

WTFH??

Laxer04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Laxer04
Member since 2008 • 1256 Posts

To put it bluntly, the Wii has weak hardware. Anyone saying otherwise is delusional.

Puckhog04

what he said. seriously is this a joke thread? i love the wii, but man the graphics are terrible

Avatar image for ExplosiveChorro
ExplosiveChorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ExplosiveChorro
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
[QUOTE="cheese7monkey"]damnit, why did factor 5 have to go out business? they actually used the tech properly grr!!! i also want to see what the wii is actually capable of....

Because they made Lair??
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
[QUOTE="ExplosiveChorro"][QUOTE="cheese7monkey"]damnit, why did factor 5 have to go out business? they actually used the tech properly grr!!! i also want to see what the wii is actually capable of....

Because they made Lair??

Their Wii engine is great, look it up on youtube.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

[QUOTE="Master-Thief-09"]When Nintendo makes the Wii Zelda game people will shut their mouths.flazzle

I guess that means it won't be jaw dropping...

ok that was funny
cheese7monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 cheese7monkey

Is it 2006 or am I lost? Seriously, trying to tell us the wii is powerful is a waste of time especially on SW where people don't listen to logic. The Wii is weak, deal with it. What I have trouble understanding is how people think the wii is going to pump out graphics that are drastically better than last gen? The best looking wii game won't look much better than the best looking xbox game if even that. Don't delude yourselves people, nobody tried to hide that the wii is weak, why are you dwelling on it?

Just out of curiousity though, why do people act like the xbox was so much more powerful than the gamecube? From what I've seen and heard, the xbox was a little more powerful but not drastically and from what the best games have shown, that seems to be true.

ActicEdge
. you've just got to look at xbox exclusives to see, like halo 2, though rebel sttike wasn't graphically much worse and neither was TP on the cube, . also, i dont understand why no-one's actually reading the first post . "well it is 2x more powerful then gc so ya its powerful enough galay and a few other games prove it" "The wii is cheap, old technology fitted with motion sensing after 2 gens of being behind Sony. That was nintendo's strategy and it worked extremely well." . jeeze, read the first post and the article/video attached before making stupid comments
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
well I'm going to tell you what I said to PS3 owners about two years ago when they said how the ps3 is capable of much more. It's potential doesnt mean jack unless it is realised othewise gamers will never experience the potential it just happens to be their metaphorically gathering dust.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

cheese7monkey

. you've just got to look at xbox exclusives to see, like halo 2, though rebel sttike wasn't graphically much worse and neither was TP on the cube, . also, i dont understand why no-one's actually reading the first post . "well it is 2x more powerful then gc so ya its powerful enough galay and a few other games prove it" "The wii is cheap, old technology fitted with motion sensing after 2 gens of being behind Sony. That was nintendo's strategy and it worked extremely well." . jeeze, read the first post and the article/video attached before making stupid comments

Well like I said, from all the highest praised Xbox and Gamecube games, I don't see this huge difference honestly. Metroid Prime 2 looks about as good as Halo 2. But any way, I have read that article before, several times, it doesn't do anything for us until we see more results, when that happens, I'll more than happily concede. The fact is though, not many if any wii games make me say "This couldn't be done last gen". That doesn't bother me frankly but we are in a thread that says the wii is powerful and it really isn't.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Thw Wii is garbage, why would you ever compare a beautiful game like HL2 to anything the Wii has?
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts

Then why aren't major third party titles like Dead Rising 2 on the Wii? It started production after the PS3 and Wii came out and is coming to the PS3.foxhound_fox

because capcom hasn't uncovered teh hidden powa

MasterC5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 MasterC5
Member since 2006 • 2932 Posts
[QUOTE="flazzle"]

I have to believe we would see a game that compares to 360 by now , and since we really haven't, i think its just a fanatasy.

We have the developers of The Conduit passionatly wanting to push the Wii to its limits, so I think the system kind of peaks there. IMO.

And even if it did somehow get the same graphics. What would the framerate be? It's not a powerhouse system and no game has proven otherwise.

DaBrainz

If anything I think people overrate the 360's graphics. They really aren't much better than the Wii's.

THIS MADE MY DAY
RawDeal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 RawDeal_basic
Member since 2002 • 1959 Posts

[QUOTE="Master-Thief-09"]When Nintendo makes the Wii Zelda game people will shut their mouths.flazzle

I guess that means it won't be jaw dropping...

Zing!
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Heydanbud92

well I'm going to tell you what I said to PS3 owners about two years ago when they said how the ps3 is capable of much more. It's potential doesnt mean jack unless it is realised othewise gamers will never experience the potential it just happens to be their metaphorically gathering dust.Serraph105

the only difference: ps3 delivered with kz2...

Wii still barely gets any multiplats because of ultra-inferior hardware. Unless it gets a chop 'till you drop or on rails version of PS360 games that is...

Emaldon117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Emaldon117
Member since 2009 • 277 Posts
It has the power to dominate with bad games./
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

If anything I think people overrate the 360's graphics. They really aren't much better than the Wii's.

MasterC5

LOL :lol:

This is quote worthy.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
[QUOTE="MasterC5"]

glez13

LOL :lol:

This is quote worthy.

He is right and wrong, Lemmings do over-rate the 360 graphics, but the Wii is still not close.
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts
The dreamcast has better graphics than the wii.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 hakanakumono

This is truly the worst of the sheep.

It's not as if the fact that the wii is only slightly more powerful than an xbox is some sort of travesty. It's okay that the wii haslast gen graphics. They do their job. The problem with the wii is it's library.

Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Great_Ragnarok
Member since 2007 • 3069 Posts
The dreamcast has better graphics than the wii.Soulja_West
soul calibur is good example of that. still doesn't hurt my eyes.lol.
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Soulja_West
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

It's not as if the fact that the wii is only slightly more powerful than an xbox is some sort of travesty. It's okay that the wii haslast gen graphics. They do their job. The problem with the wii is it's library.

nah, its the graphics.
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Heydanbud92
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Soulja_West

nah, its the graphics.

how bout both?

actually let's just end this by saying the Wii just sucks in general.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 hakanakumono
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Soulja_West

nah, its the graphics.

Are you unable to play last gen games anymore or something?

The wii itself can produce visually appealing graphics. Of course, some of its games look terrible - but thats the fault of the developers.

RawDeal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 RawDeal_basic
Member since 2002 • 1959 Posts
[QUOTE="Heydanbud92"][QUOTE="Soulja_West"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

nah, its the graphics.

how bout both?

actually let's just end this by saying the Wii just sucks in general.

No, it has SSBB, and Galaxy so it's the greatest console ever! *Sarcasm off*
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 hakanakumono
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"][QUOTE="Soulja_West"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

The wii itself can produce visually appealing graphics. Of course, some of its games look terrible - but thats the fault of the developers.

Soulja_West

Some of the last gen games look better than some of the wii games.

Very true. But thats the problem with the wii library, not the wii graphics. Wii can do more (not really more than an xbox though, it seems), but developers don't really try on the system.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Soulja_West

nah, its the graphics.

Its not the developers, its the crappy hardware.
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Grinning_Demon

The dreamcast has better graphics than the wii.Soulja_West

And there ya go people, i gots myself a new sig

Thanks Soulja_Boy ;)

Avatar image for sonicthemegaman
sonicthemegaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#99 sonicthemegaman
Member since 2008 • 3783 Posts
Graphics don't matter. As long as the Wii still has crappy games, it's an epic fail.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I think this:

Is superior in some aspects but never the less in the same league overall as these: