The 30 vs 60 fps test - can you see the difference

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Heck, I can tell a difference between 60FPS and 120FPS. The more, the better!
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

both look great im leaning twards the left a little but guess waht you guys that make a big deal about this are total losers... complete and utter losers... the only time i notice FPS is when a game drops in FPS that the only time... as long as it is a consistant FPS it should be good for 95% of all videogame players

CDWJUSTIN
:lol:
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#53 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

both look great im leaning twards the left a little but guess waht you guys that make a big deal about this are total losers... complete and utter losers... the only time i notice FPS is when a game drops in FPS that the only time... as long as it is a consistant FPS it should be good for 95% of all videogame players

CDWJUSTIN
To some extent I agree with this guy. I don't think about FPS all the time when I play a game and I'm sure you guys think the same way.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Running at 60FPS Running at 30FPS clyde46

Youtube caps all videos at 30fps.

I know that, but I captured the first vid at 60FPS and the second at 30FPS.

Doesn't matter. You can't see more than 30 fps in a youtube video. video captured at 60 fps, then uploaded to youtube, will look identical to the same piece of gameplay, captured at 30 fps. That's why most people who use capture cards, or decent capture software, that allows them to do it, will have videos capture at 30 fps, even if they're playing at 60 or more, because if the video is just going to go to youtube anyway, any more than 30 fps serves literally no purpose, and makes the video files huge.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]When it comes to fps the main difference is the way the game feels it just makes the game feel so smooth as for just watching it is not too noticeable. And anyone who disagrees is either blind or has never played 2 versions of the same game at 30 and 60 fps.seanmcloughlin

This is a big thing with this debate I think. A lot of people play say Uncharted 2 and say 30 fps is fine and 60 fps doesn't matter for games  but that's only cos we have never seen Uncharted running at 60 to tell.

The big thing for me was going from my PS3 playing a LOT of BC2 and then getting a gaming PC and seeing 60fps constant and my what a change that was

I recently went to a friends house and we compared Bioshock Infinite, the xbox version and the pc version maxed with 60 fps. The results were just awesome for me because my plan was to impress my friends with what PC gaming offers so I could get them to buy one or act least consider it. My friend who actually was playing both version at about the same time said he easily noticed how fluid the 60 fps was compared to 30 and my other friend that was paying close attention but not playing noticed it a little bit primarily at more fast paced moments.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

[QUOTE="CDWJUSTIN"]

shadowchronicle

To some extent I agree with this guy. I don't think about FPS all the time when I play a game and I'm sure you guys think the same way.

Yeah, 30fps is still really smooth. It's not that noticeable until you actualy compare it side-by-side with a 60fps game. The added smoothness in 60fps is nice, but it's not a make or break sort of thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="CDWJUSTIN"]

shadowchronicle

When you game on a 144Hz monitor you can most definitely tell about FPS all the time. Just cos we might not think about it all the time though doesn't mean constant 60 fps isn't nicer. It's so much easier on the eyes too 

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"][QUOTE="CDWJUSTIN"]

XVision84

Yeah, 30fps is still really smooth. It's not that noticeable until you actualy compare it side-by-side with a 60fps game. The added smoothness in 60fps is nice, but it's not a make or break sort of thing.

I wouldn't call it "really smooth" but it's still very playable of course. 

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="XVision84"]

Youtube caps all videos at 30fps.

the_bi99man

I know that, but I captured the first vid at 60FPS and the second at 30FPS.

Doesn't matter. You can't see more than 30 fps in a youtube video. video captured at 60 fps, then uploaded to youtube, will look identical to the same piece of gameplay, captured at 30 fps. That's why most people who use capture cards, or decent capture software, that allows them to do it, will have videos capture at 30 fps, even if they're playing at 60 or more, because if the video is just going to go to youtube anyway, any more than 30 fps serves literally no purpose, and makes the video files huge.

I captured at 60 then dropped the FPS down to 30FPS using Adobe Media Encoder. You can tell the difference between footage recorded at 60 even if its running at 30FPS. With 60FPS you get double the frames recorded which equals in smoother motion.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

CDWJUSTIN

I agree.

30fps avg with dips and rises = bad

30fps sustained = good enough

60 fps avg or sustained = yummy

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]I can't see the difference. Those look like the same two gifs to me. cfisher2833

If you click on the link at the bottom of op's post it will bring you to a new window, and it's much more noticeable than in gif form. In gif form, you can barely see any difference whatsoever when the gif is in the forum. 

I did, I cant see a difference
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]I can't see the difference. Those look like the same two gifs to me. mems_1224

If you click on the link at the bottom of op's post it will bring you to a new window, and it's much more noticeable than in gif form. In gif form, you can barely see any difference whatsoever when the gif is in the forum. 

Y U BLIND MEMS?
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Trolling all day, mems.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

bleehum

Y U BLIND MEMS?

Seems like its a good thing. I get to enjoy games no matter what framerate they are :cool: Honestly though, I see 0 difference between 30 and 60 FPS most of the time. Sometimes I notice the gameplay is a bit smoother when I play on PC but I usually can't see the difference. Sorry :(
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 mems_1224
Trolling all day, mems.rjdofu
Im not trolling. :( I literally can't tell the difference.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#67 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="Big_Red_Button"]

In a video with that much detail the difference can be subtle, most people will do better with this:

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

KBFloYd

this

much better

Agreed, this is a much better representation of the difference

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
it only takes 5sec to notice how much shittier 30fps really is especially with kb/m. Its much harder to see the difference in a tiny gif but i'd say the first is 60fps and 2nd is 30fps.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Doing this test with Gifs isn't quite teh same. Overall yes 60fps makes a difference and it is a noticable difference. I prefer 60 but i will accept 30 fps on PC games. For COnsoles, it really depends. Having a FPS in 60fps makes it better, but having a game like say gears of war, I can live with 30 fps.

Also, if its a puzzle game like bejweled, 30fps, lol.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#70 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Definitely the left, but I had to watch for a bit.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
I don't see it in any of those. Big_Red_Button link is much more obvious.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
the one on the left has better frame rate, but the difference in those gifs is so miniscule, that its hardly worth fighting over.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#73 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Does this thread have some blind people or what? The left side is so smooth compared to the right side it's not even funny.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

You can spot 30 fps right away but it isn't a huge deal on consoles. The thing is with PC you sit much closer to the screen and noticing it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Does this thread have some blind people or what? The left side is so smooth compared to the right side it's not even funny.

mitu123

most don't own a gaming rig and probably never played a game in 60fps, so its normal for them to be blind.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

You can spot 30 fps right away but it isn't a huge deal on consoles. The thing is with PC you sit much closer to the screen and noticing it.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Sitting farther from the screen doesn't make lower framerates seem smoother. You're thinking about resolution, and even then, it's a bullshit argument, as higher resolution always makes everything look better, no matter how big your display is, or how close you are to it.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

the_bi99man

Sitting farther from the screen doesn't make lower framerates seem smoother. You're thinking about resolution, and even then, it's a bullshit argument, as higher resolution always makes everything look better, no matter how big your display is, or how close you are to it.

Calm down herm, as the image on your retina becomes smaller by sitting further away, your eyes get less input to work with in a brain area on the posterior side of the visual cortex. That area register motion by putting individual snapshots together (google akinetopsia for fun). The smaller the image, the smaller the frame of reference with the last snapshot. Mind you, we are looking at emulated motion of a 3D object on a 2D screen, that is all kinds of trickery on the brain. Your eyes don't focus on movement on the screen at all times also if you are far away from the screen. You've been schooled herm, by a consolite no less.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

DrTrafalgarLaw

Calm down herm, as the image on your retina becomes smaller by sitting further away, your eyes get less input to work with in a brain area on the posterior side of the visual cortex. That area register motion by putting individual snapshots together (google akinetopsia for fun). The smaller the image, the smaller the frame of reference with the last snapshot. Mind you, we are looking at emulated motion of a 3D object on a 2D screen, that is all kinds of trickery on the brain. Your eyes don't focus on movement on the screen at all times also if you are far away from the screen. You've been schooled herm, by a consolite no less.

Where did you learn that? First time I've heard of that.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I can easily tell the difference. When the FPS fix for Dark Souls hit PC I instantly could tell how much smoother all the animations looked.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
That he joy if having a PC, I don't care what consoles run their games at. I want games I can't get on PC, so frame rate is fine at 30 or 60 to me.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The middle one is clearly the most natural.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#82 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I clicked the link and I honestly can't see any difference.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 DrTrafalgarLaw
[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

clyde46

Where did you learn that? First time I've heard of that.

Med school, the human eye is not capturing the real world in x amount of frames. Conveying/processing motion is focussing on the moving parts of a screen, if you are sitting far away, the moving parts are smaller and the difference between 30 and 60 is much less noticable. Framerate drops are still noticible. You cannot say the higher the amount of frames, the better. If you let your brain interpolate the missing frames, it might be better for some forms of media. Look at why movies are at 24 fps instead of 30 or 60, it's a form of trickery the brains pull on you. Also color palletes and lighting can also play part in noticing the amount of frames. Think about it, why did consoles settle for 30 and not 40 or 50? Diminishing returns as you can interpolate missing frames.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

You have to see side by side to see the dif. Thats how I noticed it.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

It's harder to tell the difference between the gifs because your brain "fills in the gaps"

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#86 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts
Out of curiosity, does rendering of the video animations happen at the same rate as the video output? Sometimes when I play games it seem the rendering of character animations or some effects aren't as smooth as say other aspects of the video. If that's the case then I wonder is there ever a point when the framerate is unnecessarily fast. And if it goes faster than it has to does that take away from resources in graphics processor that could be put to better use?
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 whiskeystrike

From Reddit

iuHMClLCinzEh.gif

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

From Reddit

iuHMClLCinzEh.gif

whiskeystrike

Pointless gif, people here in sw won't see the difference :P

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts

From Reddit

iuHMClLCinzEh.gif

whiskeystrike
That's not very representative of actual games though.
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts
Both look the same to me /shrug
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#92 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

From Reddit

iuHMClLCinzEh.gif

hexashadow13

d-d-d-d-d-d-damage control.

30 FPS is fine.

60 FPS is just better, but you don't have to play with it all of the time.

It's a problem when it hits 20 or lower.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

From Reddit

iuHMClLCinzEh.gif

whiskeystrike

Do you have one between 60 and 30?

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 whiskeystrike

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

From Reddit

iuHMClLCinzEh.gif

nitekids2004

Do you have one between 60 and 30?

No, its either something to do with gifs or browsers but you can't display anything above 50 fps on webpages. There's some explanation of it in the comments about .

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1bqnta/a_good_example_to_illustrate_the_relative/

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

From Reddit

iuHMClLCinzEh.gif

hexashadow13

It kinda is :P
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

So obviously left. Looks so smooth and sexy. Right looks like your typical console game.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
When he does the jumping attack you can tell at that point.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
This thread is stupid. The difference between 30fps vs 60fps is less about visuals but more about game responsiveness. Watching a video is pointless, play a game and cap it at 30fps, then play it at 60fps. That's the only way to tell the difference
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

I can also recommend the GT video of DmC:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7hwwq5/dmc--devil-may-cry-60fps-comparison

The difference is very clear as long as the browser and the connection hold up.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#100 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

No brainer left!

You can see the right side chug.

I can't wait till GPU's can run games at 120 FPS maxed. :)