The 30 vs 60 fps test - can you see the difference

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

For some reason when I look at that GIF in the gamespot post there is no difference but when I open it in a new tab the difference is like night and day.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
on the full test link, i got them all right. not that hard to tell the difference.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#153 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

The link is pretty obvious if you sit there and compare the two for a little while.... however where as 60 fps looks a little less choppy in the sword movements, it is kind of hard to tell other than that. Once again, that is side by side. If I had my choice I would take 60 fps or higher, although 30 fps has not affected my gameplaying as far as I am aware.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Can't tell the differnce in both the gifs and the videos. And I think Uncharted 3 runs smoother than the videos when playing it.

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

Watched it twice, couldn't tell a difference.

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

Huge noticeable difference.  The left is clearly much smoother.  

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#157 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

If you want to do a real comparison record some gameplay footage doing 30 and 60FPS.

Go into an older CoD game and put in /com_maxfps 30.

Jebus213
I've already posted some videos in this thread. One recorded at 60FPS, the other recorded at 30FPS.
hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts

[QUOTE="ciorlandenis"]

[QUOTE="hoplayletsplay"]The left one is smoother, but I wouldn't know it's 30 more frames smoother if I wasn't told in first place. With that being said, anyone thinks it's funny how some players play their games with the frame rate displayed 24/7. It's as if they are relying one the tiny number in the corner to tell them how beautiful a game is. p4s2p0

they do that to notice any sudden FPS drops......... people like you who can't discern FPS too well have an inferiority complex I think

Which just seem ocd'ish to me. If the framerate drop is not big enough for me to notice without a counter on screen to tell me, why should I care.

^^^You word it better than I did. What I was trying to say is, why not adjust the graphical setting base on how you perceive the graphical performance instead of using the frame rate display. The display does help me to better adjust the setting but I wouldn't leave it on 24/7 right? It's like someone needing an assurance to tell them you are currently playing in an optimized setting. @ciorlandenis, English is not my first language, so I looked up what you meant by "inferiority complex"; a term coined to indicate a lack of covert self esteem. Nope, still don't why you'd call me that, especially when I'm content to settle in whatever frame rates I feel comfortable, without using a number to tell me what quality/ performance I'm allowed.

Edit: P.S. I do game on PC, not that I have the powerful PC though.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

If you want to do a real comparison record some gameplay footage doing 30 and 60FPS.

clyde46

I've already posted some videos in this thread. One recorded at 60FPS, the other recorded at 30FPS.

All Youtube videos are capped at 24FPS. You won't see a difference.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Jebus213

Shouldn't matter. If the source material is recorded in 60FPS, the difference between 60 and 30FPS is visible.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Jebus213

Doesn't matter, You can still see the difference.
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

In a video with that much detail the difference can be subtle, most people will do better with this:

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Big_Red_Button

This^^

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] I've already posted some videos in this thread. One recorded at 60FPS, the other recorded at 30FPS. clyde46

Shouldn't matter. If the source material is recorded in 60FPS, the difference between 60 and 30FPS is visible.

Both videos are running at the same framerate. It doesn't matter if you recorded it at 60FPS. It's capped at 24FPS. There is no difference between them :|

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

Jebus213

Both videos are running at the same framerate. It doesn't matter if you recorded it at 60FPS. It's capped at 24FPS. There is no difference between them :|

Yes it is...but not in the framerate...one will be more fluid the other one will be less fluid...dosent matter if the video player is capped at 24fps,10 or 5...
You should do a google search...you will understand how it works in 5 minutes :) 

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#165 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the reason DF started using Youtube is because there is no browser player that can handle 60 frames very well so  it was pointless and watching frames from a gif? Are you joking TC?

:lol:

If you want real 60 frames then download this and put it on your PS3 because players like VLC and MPC (Media Player Classic) are really bad at doing 60 frames too because they are designed to watch movies. So either use your PS3 or try WMP (Windows Media Player). And if you can't tell the difference then there's something really wrong with your eyes.

Digital Foundry quotes:

-"Do bear in mind that streaming video doesn't take well to high frame rates"

-"Running the 1080p60 version of the trailer on a PlayStation 3 attached to a large HDTV is definitely the way to go."

-"It transpires that there's a pretty good reason YouTube supports pretty much every type of video format you care to mention except 60 frames per second playback - across a range of browsers the Flash renderer appears to have massive issues sustaining any kind of update north of 30FPS, even if you're using a fast desktop PC."

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 clyde46

Jebus213

I know that. The higher the FPS at the point of capture, the smoother the image will be even if the final video is running at a lower FPS.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#167 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] I've already posted some videos in this thread. One recorded at 60FPS, the other recorded at 30FPS. clyde46

^ :lol:  

My goodness, the stupity on this board really has no limits.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Shouldn't matter. If the source material is recorded in 60FPS, the difference between 60 and 30FPS is visible.rhazzy

Yes it is...but not in the framerate...one will be more fluid the other one will be less fluid...dosent matter if the video player is capped at 24fps,10 or 5...
You should do a google search...you will understand how it works in 5 minutes :) 

I've had games recorded at 60FPS that have come out choppy and less fluid. Why? Because some games take up more recource's then the other.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 clyde46

[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Jebus213

I've had games recorded at 60FPS that have come out choppy and less fluid. Why? Because some games take up more recource's then the other.

That choppyness could be for any number of reasons.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#170 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

This is the worst framerate test in the world.

For a real world test a console player just needs to go from playing a game like Killzone 2, 3, or the Halo series to playing any of the CoDs. There is an immediate increase in responsiveness and smoothness that's even felt on a controller. On the PC it's even a larger factor as a mouse is overall more responsive than a controller.

Youtube caps at 30 fps (not 24), so videos on Youtube look a bit smoother than your average cinema (which is capped at 24). Unless you're using that one test with the cube falling, the only real way to tell is by actually playing. 

Videos only do it half justice. Unless you're actually controlling the camera, your brain filters out the smoothness in a few second and you just become used to watching the higher FPS. 

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#171 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

Nope can't tell the difference.

Ballroompirate

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

all those gifs appear to be slowed down, so what you are really comparing is more like 15 vs 30fps which is alot more noticeable than 30 vs 60 fps.

althought generally speaking 30 vs 60 fps is noticeable, but depending on the game, and especially for console games its not very noticeable... and certainly doesnt warrant the increased processing power for 90% of titles out there.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Gue1

^ :lol:  

My goodness, the stupity on this board really has no limits.

You are making YOU YOURSELF look stupid actually.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Jebus213

For a real world test a console player just needs to go from playing a game like Killzone 2, 3, or the Halo series to playing any of the CoDs. There is an immediate increase in responsiveness and smoothness that's even felt on a controller. On the PC it's even a larger factor as a mouse is overall more responsive than a controller.

Youtube caps at 30 fps (not 24), so videos on Youtube look a bit smoother than your average cinema (which is capped at 24). Unless you're using that one test with the cube falling, the only real way to tell is by actually playing. 

Videos only do it half justice. Unless you're actually controlling the camera, your brain filters out the smoothness in a few second and you just become used to watching the higher FPS. 

Wasdie

Or we could upload some 10 second videos doing 30 and 60FPS to mediafire.....

If only my PC was still up and running.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

clyde46

I mean really... You went from The Walking Dead to GTA4...

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 clyde46

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Jebus213

We could but very few would actually take the time to download it to watch.
viper-kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 viper-kid
Member since 2007 • 811 Posts

I got them all right on the full test. So I can see the difference.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 clyde46

Jebus213

I mean really... You went from The Walking Dead to GTA4...

It was two videos I pulled from my channel that I knew what FPS I recorded them in. Later today, I'll go back and record the same game at 30 and at 60FPS.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

clyde46

Unless somebody is on dial-up it shouldn't take long to download two compressed 10 second videos.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 clyde46

Jebus213

Unless we're dial-up it shouldn't take long to download two compressed 10 second videos.

I don't mean it as a time frame. I mean people are lazy and won't go out of their way to download it to watch it.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Jebus213

Exactly, been suggesting since the beginning.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#182 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
doing it with gifs is a horrible idea, because they have this horrible habit of slowing down at random depending on what your PC is doing. but my guess is the right one is 30fps and the left one is 60. i can't tell clearly, because these are f*cking gifs, but in-game, the difference is clear as night and day, especially when you see the change happening.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#183 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I immediately thought the Left because it looked smoother.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#184 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I can usually notice the difference.

But I don't understand the point. 30fps looks pretty nice and smooth anyway.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="Big_Red_Button"]

In a video with that much detail the difference can be subtle, most people will do better with this:

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

KBFloYd

this

much better

Yes indeed! 60FPS is the sweet spot ... Perfect example this gen would be the PS3 version of Madden 07 running at 30FPS compared to the 360 running at 60FPS, it was a very noticable difference.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Seeing is one thing, actually playing is another. 60 FPS is much more responsive. I limited Crysis 3 to 30 FPS on my PC then unlocked the framerate and it felt noticeably more fluid.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

The left one is smoother, though a video is much more conclusive, and finally, playing it side by side is the final nail. Once you're used to 60 FPS, playing the same game at 30 FPS will seem so slow, and unresponsive.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I can't tell from these GIFs but when playing CS:GO I can definitely see it and FEEL it when it drops below 50.  

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22805 Posts

I see no difference.

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
I can't really see a difference when looking at these gifs. But I definitely can feel it while I play a game when it's 30 or 60 fps.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

i think that test is bs, when i play a game i instantly notice if it drops to 30 fps.

Next time put a real test.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Is the left or right side 60 frames?

JMR09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 JMR09
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts
It's pretty obvious which ones are at 60 FPS, but yeah, these aren't very good examples of the benefits that 60 FPS bring to gameplay.
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#194 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Definitely left
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

doing it with gifs is a horrible idea, because they have this horrible habit of slowing down at random depending on what your PC is doing. but my guess is the right one is 30fps and the left one is 60. i can't tell clearly, because these are f*cking gifs, but in-game, the difference is clear as night and day, especially when you see the change happening.BrunoBRS

Open it in a seperate tab. It's a lot smoother.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 slipknot0129

It's pretty obvious which ones are at 60 FPS, but yeah, these aren't very good examples of the benefits that 60 FPS bring to gameplay.JMR09
I cant tell. When I played with 30 frames by using adaptive half vsync, I couldnt tell a difference. It took away the screen tearing too. Your eyes also adjust, so its no biggie to play at 30 frames. 

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]doing it with gifs is a horrible idea, because they have this horrible habit of slowing down at random depending on what your PC is doing. but my guess is the right one is 30fps and the left one is 60. i can't tell clearly, because these are f*cking gifs, but in-game, the difference is clear as night and day, especially when you see the change happening.el3m2tigre

i eventually did that, but it doesn't change the fact that on video, it would've been much better.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="el3m2tigre"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]doing it with gifs is a horrible idea, because they have this horrible habit of slowing down at random depending on what your PC is doing. but my guess is the right one is 30fps and the left one is 60. i can't tell clearly, because these are f*cking gifs, but in-game, the difference is clear as night and day, especially when you see the change happening.BrunoBRS

i eventually did that, but it doesn't change the fact that on video, it would've been much better.

I doubt that the actual game would look worse than on the gif. 

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

Its worth to note that fps is very noticeable only wen you are "controlling the picture". Thats why movies are fine in 24.

Wen I play a game I can tell the different between 30 60 in a second.

wazzap76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 wazzap76
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

Left one has the 60 the right has 30 and I see a major difference. People who don't need to get their eyes checked.