The 30 vs 60 fps test - can you see the difference

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="el3m2tigre"]

Open it in a seperate tab. It's a lot smoother.

slipknot0129

i eventually did that, but it doesn't change the fact that on video, it would've been much better.

I doubt that the actual game would look worse than on the gif. 

Prove it.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i eventually did that, but it doesn't change the fact that on video, it would've been much better.Bebi_vegeta

I doubt that the actual game would look worse than on the gif. 

Prove it.

Prove it. 

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#203 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Its worth to note that fps is very noticeable only wen you are "controlling the picture". Thats why movies are fine in 24.

Wen I play a game I can tell the different between 30 60 in a second.

beganoo
Actually, films are recorded at 24FPS but projected at double the FPS. So a 24FPS film is actually projected at 48FPS. The projector has a plate that causes each frame to flash onto the screen twice for every second. This gives the that "film" look without the jerkiness.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#204 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
cant tell the difference in the one posted in the OP, but the ones in the link are obvious
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

It's hard to see in the gifs. Having played Dark Souls on the PC and the PS3. The FPS makes a world of difference. It's scary smooth on the PC. :P

Plus, it looks so much better, you get to see details in the armor that are lost in the PS3 version.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

[QUOTE="beganoo"]

Its worth to note that fps is very noticeable only wen you are "controlling the picture". Thats why movies are fine in 24.

clyde46

Actually, films are recorded at 24FPS but projected at double the FPS. So a 24FPS film is actually projected at 48FPS. The projector has a plate that causes each frame to flash onto the screen twice for every second. This gives the that "film" look without the jerkiness.

Erm then why wen you turn on fraps while you are watching a move on your PC it shows 24. Fraps doesn't lie.If there was 2 of the same frames it would have show it regardless.Its per second. You must be misstaken.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="beganoo"]

beganoo

Erm then why wen you turn on fraps while you are watching a move on your PC it shows 24. Fraps doesn't lie.If there was 2 of the same frames it would have show it regardless.Its per second. You must be misstaken.

Read my post again.
tehMoerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 tehMoerz
Member since 2012 • 54 Posts
The one on the right lags a bit at the end
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts
The left image in the OP has the better framerate.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts
30fps to 60fps is noticeable, but not enough for me to care.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
30fps to 60fps is noticeable, but not enough for me to care.Ghost120x
You'll never go back once you actually experienced a game in 60fps.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#212 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts
Can't see much of a difference, but stability is more important. when a game runs at 60FPS and drops by 20 you don't notice much when it runs at 30FPS and drops by 5-10 you notice.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Man it must suck to be stuck at 20-30 fps. Lol consoles.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 beganoo

[QUOTE="beganoo"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Actually, films are recorded at 24FPS but projected at double the FPS. So a 24FPS film is actually projected at 48FPS. The projector has a plate that causes each frame to flash onto the screen twice for every second. This gives the that "film" look without the jerkiness. clyde46

Read my post again.

Whats your point. Movis on PC for example run in 24 and have that ""film" look without the jerkiness."

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

People don't understand how gifs work on threads. You have to wait for the whole gifs to load once before it runs at normal speed. And Left. 

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

As others have said, the left is smoother.

However the difference is far more noticeable when actually controlling it like in a game.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I find it hard to believe that some people can't tell the difference.

There is a huge difference

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
This whole "debate" angers me. Unless you have a pc and can cap a game @ 30 or 60fps, you will have a hard time understanding the difference. It's the "feel" of the game that matters. Looking at somebody playing 30 or 60 may not be a huge deal, but the increased perception of smoothness during gameplay is what's important (granted it does look much better). However, somebody looking at any of these webpages and trying to discern 30fps vs 60fps gaming won't be able to notice what the big deal is. Unless you have a good pc that can pull off 1080p or higher, and can change settings in a game to go from 60 to 30 fps...you don't know what you are talking about. Go ahead and read, or cite webpages. It doesn't matter. You won't understand what the big difference is until experiencing it. It's like a virgin talking about sex. You just don't get it.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="beganoo"]

clyde46

come on man, I have a friend that makes movies and even though I'm not an expert I can tell you obviously don't know anything of what you're talking about and you're doing even worse than LoosingEnds! So SHUT-UP! 

virtually all film projectors in commercial movie theaters project at a constant speed of 24 frame/s.

beganoo is completely correct on what he is saying. 24 frames works on movies because it is a controlled environment and even then they have to make use of many techniques and have a lot of experience to make the movie watchable because of such a low frame-rate and they need to put lots of care on the editing too. But now on films like The Hobbit because of the higher frame-rate they can go more crazy on the scenes and do things that simply wouldn't work on 24 frames.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

An animated gif is very poor demonstration of framerare differences, I doubt it even runs consistently in different browsers and/or on different hardware.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 clyde46

Gue1

come on man, I have a friend that makes movies and even though I'm not an expert I can tell you obviously don't know anything of what you're talking about and you're doing even worse than LoosingEnds! So SHUT-UP! 

virtually all film projectors in commercial movie theaters project at a constant speed of 24 frame/s.

I see you didn't read my post then.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts
Right one looks more cinematic.
beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 beganoo

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Actually, films are recorded at 24FPS but projected at double the FPS. So a 24FPS film is actually projected at 48FPS. The projector has a plate that causes each frame to flash onto the screen twice for every second. This gives the that "film" look without the jerkiness. clyde46

Stop that. Dump post =/= people didn't read it. Eather explain yourself or stfu.

Most movies are viewed in 24 frames per second.

Maybe your emphasis is on "projected" and I won't pretend to know anything about projectors but we are talking about games.Monitors and TVs. No one give a shit.

wasted_wisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 wasted_wisdom
Member since 2008 • 1767 Posts
I think this poll should have third option saying No one gives a shit except for pc gamers.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Jankarcop

30fps to 60fps is noticeable, but not enough for me to care.Ghost120x

It's noticable in those gifs.

Its very noticable when playing.

You don't "care" because you don't have it. When your system of choice finally DOES get it  standard in all games(probably in a FEW gens, lmao consoles) you'll brag about it until the dogs come home.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Jankarcop

I think this poll should have third option saying No one gives a shit except for pc gamers. wasted_wisdom

Because half of SW threads for the last year havn't been about next gen CONSOLE hardware.

Because digitalfoundry threads don't get 30+ pages, bragging over +5 fps on ps3 or xbox360.

Stop embarassing yourself, your inferiority is showing.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I think this poll should have third option saying No one gives a shit except for pc gamers. wasted_wisdom

^mad cuz bad

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Gue1"]

beganoo

Stop that. Dump post =/= people didn't read it. Eather explain yourself or stfu.

Maybe your emphasis is on "projected" and I won't pretend to know anything about projectors but we are talking about games.Monitors and TVs. No one give a shit.

Calm down bro. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Yes I know that films are done in 24FPS, hell I even acknowlegded it. However, they behave differently on a PC than they do in the theaters.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Definitely can see that the left one is far smoother.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts
Right one looks more cinematic.freedomfreak
gave me a chuckle. Well played, sir.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#232 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Is the left or right side 60 frames?

slipknot0129
Left obviously, the right looks so slow.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

They're the exact same gif ... you've all been trolled :|

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

No, they're not the exact same. The one on the left is visibly more smooth. Open them in a new tab, zoom in with Ctrl+mouse scroll up if you have a hard time seeing the difference.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 beganoo

[QUOTE="beganoo"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] I see you didn't read my post then. clyde46

Calm down bro. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Yes I know that films are done in 24FPS, hell I even acknowlegded it. However, they behave differently on a PC than they do in the theaters.

I think your full of shit and made a pathetic attempt to look smart and/or knowledgeable in a thread that has nothing do with in in a first place. If what you said even is done nowadays its not a standart by any means.

Mr. Actually.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 clyde46

beganoo

I think your full of shit and made a pathetic attempt to look smart and/or knowledgeable in a thread that has nothing do with in in a first place. If what you said even is done nowadays its not a standart by any means.

Mr. Actually.

Stay mad then I guess.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#237 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
There is no debate, but seeing in a gif is different to seeing it whilst actually playing, it's always more noticeable playing a game than viewing a slow gif (and yes it's slow compared to the actual game, at least on Firefox for me). That said I don't mind 30fps games as long as they don't dip below.
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
Games that are limited to 30fps are unplayable IMHO.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

Most people see it because they want to see it, not because it makes a difference.

The only games that it really makes a difference in is games that are super fast paced. Racers or Heavily twitch based shooters. The real problem is when a game can't hold a steady FPS at 30 or above. 

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]I doubt that the actual game would look worse than on the gif. 

slipknot0129

Prove it.

Prove it. 

So I guess you can't back it up.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 beganoo

Games that are limited to 30fps are unplayable IMHO.anshul89

In competitive games that you want to play seriously yes. Everything else is fine as far as I care.

Am I huge advocate of higher FPS but only if you really need it.

For SP 30 is fine most of the time depending on the game.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#244 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts
It's obvious that the 60 fps one is the one with the most information per second. You can see the enemy's sword move as it arcs in the first gif, while it skips straight to the blow on the second.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#245 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I don't see a difference.

jmp909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 jmp909
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts

re: the GIFs: quite hard to tell a big difference within that isolated example. i agree with #237 / SaltyMeatballs.

re: Dark Souls... i've played it at 60 and with a 30 frame cap and the difference is *very* noticeable switching between the two.. enough that made me want to start buying PC versions of games (I've been a X360 gamer for the last 6 years.. then decided to try out my GTX560 Ti SC card on a few PC games).

re: 24fps on film. there's a natural motion blur you don't get on digital games. this gives a smoother appearance. until you see those aerial shorts where they pan across a cityscape etc and everything becomes really jerky. Just watch Hobbit in 48fps and you'll notice a big difference

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

9 month thread.... sigh...

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Hooray for necro threads. Though this thread does highlight some contradictory opinions on it compared to what people on SW are saying these days

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I think this thread should be pinned though.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

I think this thread should be pinned though.

Considering so many people said "I can't tell the difference" even in a scenario like this with both side by side and now are talking about "60fps >>>>> 30fps" is quite funny