SystemWars Monthly 2.0 - June 2010 (It's About Time Edition - 56k Warning)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="Sky-"]

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

Actually you're the third person to address an issue I never accused Shadow of doing. :/ I don't believe he cheated, but I believe the SWM Crew has an advantage over all other members in System Wars, and that's being given a heads up when the issue will hit the System War forum. It was a contest based off of how quickly one kind find stars, so timing is everything ...

Shadow has however said he didn't jump into the thread till a couple of hours after it was posted, which I totally believe him but it doesn't change the fact that Crew Members still get heads up when the Mag will be posted so they can admire the final product WHICH leads them to having a heads up over regular System Warriors ...

BUT that's not even my main problem with Crew Members participating ... my whole thing is the principle of the matter. Like I said earlier, which no one has yet to address, would you like it if GS or any company threw a contest and one of their very own staff members won rather than the community? I'm sure this contest was implemented to reach out to the community for the community.

A simple "We'll take your concerns into consideration next time" would have been nice, but obviously people have already made up their minds on how they're gonna run things.

Couth_

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. Stevo was under no obligation to purchase a free game for any of us in the first place.

wth.. Stevo was going to buy someone a free game?

1 He was using his own money too, that's pretty shady if you ask me.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#252 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

[QUOTE="Couth_"]Stevo was going to buy someone a free game?Stevo_the_gamer

Was going to? I already did, foo. :P

Edit: Wait. How does one buy a "free" game? :o

Mind is full of....
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#254 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Very nice issue! great job guys!

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

While there is no doubt in my mind that everything was done above-board, allowing a SWM contributor to win a SWM-related contest is frankly shady. Hell, even if the winner wasn't a SWM contributor but was a member of a tangentially-related union like GUFU or HYPE it would come across as questionable.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with prizes of any real value; it's a nice gesture Stevo (and TREAL, and anyone else for that matter), but you're just asking for trouble.

PBSnipes

Good point. It may seem shady, especially without knowing the full details. I think its understandable to initiate a dialogue to uncover the explicit details (something that Wingman did). I'll make sure to be completely transparent if I ever do something similar to NAPK1NS.

---

Also, these "calm down" pics are funny, but I don't think they apply to this. W1NG is an entirely calm person. He just wanted to address some concerns and questions from what I read.

LegendofNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#257 LegendofNerd
Member since 2007 • 2140 Posts

I do not believe in limiting participation because of a certain banner that may be with them. Everyone, save myself for obvious reasons, deserved to have some fun with the next issue. If this were a professional magazine with salaries and money to be made, I would agree it would be shady. But this is a community magazine ran by good folks who love to please hopeful readers out there, and provide the information that they might otherwise wouldn't see on SW; in the end, we're all still the same. SWM is driven by SW. No one is excluded from participating. Snap into reality if you think we're doing shady things.

Stevo_the_gamer

This is the post everyone should be reading.

Also:

Good point. It may seem shady, especially without knowing the full details. I think its understandable to initiate a dialogue to uncover the explicit details (something that Wingman did). I'll make sure to be completely transparent if I ever do something similar to NAPK1NS.

---

Also, these "calm down" pics are funny, but I don't think they apply to this. W1NG is an entirely calm person. He just wanted to address some concerns and questions from what I read.

TREAL_Since

This post looks strangly familar, like it was just posted here a second ago before vanishing. But maybe it's my imagination.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#258 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

---

TREAL_Since

But there was absolutely nothing to uncover when I already had previously outlined weeks ago (only hours after the issue went online) everything was fair and impartial to begin with.

In case anyone is wondering, or in case anyone wants to be an asshat and call this out, no one in SWM had a handle in SWM before any of you except The_Game21x and musicalmac, but both are honest guys so they are still at the same fair level of game in the challenge as anyone else. Since one uploaded the pdf to his site, and the other moved this topic and stickied it. No one here has an unfair advantage. Besides me. Since... I know already where they are. Stevo_the_gamer

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

Actually you're the third person to address an issue I never accused Shadow of doing. :/ I don't believe he cheated, but I believe the SWM Crew has an advantage over all other members in System Wars, and that's being given a heads up when the issue will hit the System War forum. It was a contest based off of how quickly one kind find stars, so timing is everything ...

Shadow has however said he didn't jump into the thread till a couple of hours after it was posted, which I totally believe him but it doesn't change the fact that Crew Members still get heads up when the Mag will be posted so they can admire the final product WHICH leads them to having a heads up over regular System Warriors ...

BUT that's not even my main problem with Crew Members participating ... my whole thing is the principle of the matter. Like I said earlier, which no one has yet to address, would you like it if GS or any company threw a contest and one of their very own staff members won rather than the community? I'm sure this contest was implemented to reach out to the community for the community.

A simple "We'll take your concerns into consideration next time" would have been nice, but obviously people have already made up their minds on how they're gonna run things.

Sky-

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. Stevo was under no obligation to purchase a free game for any of us in the first place.

I'm as cool as the other side of the pillow 8):P Just wanted to be as clear as possible that's all ... plus my main point, the highlighted area has finally been addressed. Didn't know Stevo himself dictated who got to participate, heck didn't know he was the one dropping the dough for the contest which is really nice of him.

BUT I still standby my feelings toward staff members winning or being eligible to win in any contest that they're associated with.

Like what happen at E3 this year, free 360's were given out but the staff members over at 1up couldn't keep theirs just out of principle. I find that admirable.

Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

I'm as cool as the other side of the pillow 8):P Just wanted to be as clear as possible that's all ... plus my main point, the highlighted area has finally been addressed. Didn't know Stevo himself dictated who got to participate, heck didn't know he was the one dropping the dough for the contest which is really nice of him.

BUT I still standby my feelings toward staff members winning or being eligible to win in any contest that they're associated with.

Like what happen at E3 this year, free 360's were given out but the staff members over at 1up couldn't keep theirs just out of principle. I find that admirable.

W1NGMAN-

I have no shame. =P

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
Didn't know Stevo himself dictated who got to participate, heck didn't know he was the one dropping the dough for the contest which is really nice of him.W1NGMAN-
Would've been nicer if he would've went with a good game...like Plants vs. Zombies...or Braid...or The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom...
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts
[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]Didn't know Stevo himself dictated who got to participate, heck didn't know he was the one dropping the dough for the contest which is really nice of him.killab2oo5
Would've been nicer if he would've went with a good game...like Plants vs. Zombies...or Braid...or The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom...

Free is free, can't complain about which content is given out ... but PvZ would have been nice :P
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]Didn't know Stevo himself dictated who got to participate, heck didn't know he was the one dropping the dough for the contest which is really nice of him.killab2oo5

HA. Funny. :|

*goes to spam hate mail to killab oololololol*

Further edit: DONT BE UNGRATEFUL! :P

DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts
Plants vs. Zombies is meh. Really don't get the love for it. Song was pretty annoying too.
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

How about we get an actual $50-60 game instead of a cheap game I could just buy with the spare change that I use to whipe my ass with?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
What the heck do you think I am, a frickin bank Dystopian? No more saving your butt in L4D2. The challenge game goes for $20; that's not necessarily too cheap!
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#267 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

*Sees random but funny pics*

I'm outta here.:P