SystemWars Monthly 2.0 - June 2010 (It's About Time Edition - 56k Warning)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#201 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

How do you guys do it?

mitu123
5 minutes of work, 30 minutes of stealing various articles from the internet :D.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#202 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26102 Posts
[QUOTE="mitu123"]

How do you guys do it?

fabz_95
5 minutes of work, 30 minutes of stealing various articles from the internet :D.

It's not stealing if they don't copyright it!
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#203 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="mitu123"]

How do you guys do it?

Willy105
Plenty of time, some money, and a lot of caffeine.

I did for free, in three hours, in the day it was meant to be posted. Without caffeine.

:shock: *bows down to Willy* Wait, that was the stone age of SWM. Things have changed. :D
NatalataN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#204 NatalataN
Member since 2010 • 74 Posts
[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="mitu123"]

How do you guys do it?

Plenty of time, some money, and a lot of caffeine.

I did for free, in three hours, in the day it was meant to be posted. Without caffeine.

but did u at least have a decaffinated drink
NatalataN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 NatalataN
Member since 2010 • 74 Posts
[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Plenty of time, some money, and a lot of caffeine. Stevo_the_gamer

:shock: *bows down to Willy* Wait, that was the stone age of SWM. Things have changed. :D

willys with ps3
BetardxFoosier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#206 BetardxFoosier
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts

FIRST!

On stevos request.

On a related topic. Excellent edition (I kind of peaked at the articles before they were all photoshopped).

I promise to get my articles in to the upcoming issues so I can keep being a contributer.

Excellent photoshop job there Stevo, you do outstanding work. To the rest of you, excellent job on the articles!

Wasdie

FIRST TO FIRST YOU!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Willy105
[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Plenty of time, some money, and a lot of caffeine. NatalataN

but did u at least have a decaffinated drink

Nope. Ran on water and panic.
ZippySlappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 ZippySlappy
Member since 2009 • 2664 Posts
Did anyone find out where the stars at?
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#209 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Did anyone find out where the stars at?ZippySlappy
Yes, Shadow did.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#210 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="ZippySlappy"]Did anyone find out where the stars at?siLVURcross
Yes, Shadow did.

Wait, what? A member of SWM won? :? Shouldn't you know, Crew Members not participate in the contest? Just something you guys should think about for next Issue.

I say this due to the that fact, sure some of these members don't get a sneak peak before it's posted here on System Wars BUT I'm sure they do get a heads up when the issue will be posted giving them an advantage over all other System War regulars. In this case timing is everything, no? Considering it was a contest to determine who could QUICKLY find Stars.

Most importantly however I just think it's the principle of that matter, you know? I wouldn't like GS or any company throw a contest and then see one of their very own staff member win ... I don't think anyone would.

Anyways, just a suggestion ... that's all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"][QUOTE="ZippySlappy"]Did anyone find out where the stars at?W1NGMAN-
Yes, Shadow did.

Wait, what? A member of SWM won? :? Shouldn't you know, Crew Members not participate in the contest? Just something you guys should think about for next Issue.

Not that any one of em saw the issue before hand.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"][QUOTE="ZippySlappy"]Did anyone find out where the stars at?W1NGMAN-

Yes, Shadow did.

I say this due to the that fact, sure some of these members don't get a sneak peak before it's posted here on System Wars BUT I'm sure they do get a heads up when the issue will be posted giving them an advantage over all other System War regulars. In this case timing is everything, no? Considering it was a contest to determine who could QUICKLY find Stars.

Most importantly however I just think it's the principle of that matter, you know? I wouldn't like GS or any company throw a contest and then see one of their very own staff member win ... I don't think anyone would.

I assure you, there was nothing unfair. No one, and I mean no one, saw the rendered articles until they were first posted in this thread, and I saw them about two hours after this thread was posted. No one on SWM, besides Stevo and possibly Mac, had any idea where those stars where. Also, Stevo gave absolutely no hints to me. In fact, I actually helped him find the mistakes he made in his riddles.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

won? :? Shouldn't you know, Crew Members not participate in the contest? Just something you guys should think about for next IssueW1NGMAN-

In case anyone is wondering, or in case anyone wants to be an asshat and call this out, no one in SWM had a handle in SWM before any of you except The_Game21x and musicalmac, but both are honest guys so they are still at the same fair level of game in the challenge as anyone else. Since one uploaded the pdf to his site, and the other moved this topic and stickied it. No one here has an unfair advantage. Besides me. Since... I know already where they are.Stevo_the_gamer

^^^^ Posted Jul 9, 2010 1:15 pm PT.

:) Now I hope you're happy.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

^ I think the scavenger hunt for this month's SWM issue is really cool and a good way for more users to jump in on the fun. I can understand what Wingman is coming from, even if 789shadow wasn't aware of anything. Personally, if I was a member of SWM, I wouldn't participate in the hunt. Well, I would probably participate privately, but I wouldn't declare my findings and accept the prize. But that's just me :).

EDIT: Please don't take critiques like this the wrong way! It can really contribute to this magazine getting more readers and non-SWM staff discussion within the thread. The random SW member(s) can feel like they have a chance themselves :).

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 789shadow

^ I think the scavenger hunt for this month's SWM issue is really cool and a good way for more users to jump in on the fun. I can understand what Wingman is coming from, even if 789shadow wasn't aware of anything. Personally, if I was a member of SWM, I wouldn't participate in the hunt. Well, I would probably participate privately, but I wouldn't declare my findings and accept the prize. But that's just me :).

Episode_Eve

Me, being the selfish, conniving bastard I am, found them (which was hours of work, by the way) and kept the prize all to myself. :twisted:

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"] Yes, Shadow did.789shadow

I assure you, there was nothing unfair. No one, and I mean no one, saw the rendered articles until they were first posted in this thread, and I saw them about two hours after this thread was posted. No one on SWM, besides Stevo and possibly Mac, had any idea where those stars where. Also, Stevo gave absolutely no hints to me. In fact, I actually helped him find the mistakes he made in his riddles.

At the rate we're going, it won't be long before every GS poster is going to be a SWM staffer :P

UnArguably

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 UnArguably
Member since 2010 • 291 Posts
Me, being the selfish, conniving bastard I am, found them (which was hours of work, by the way) and kept the prize all to myself. :twisted:789shadow
i must applaud the honesty. :P
ZippySlappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 ZippySlappy
Member since 2009 • 2664 Posts

W1NGMAN-

I agree,I should have won.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 789shadow

By the way, Stevo, I never honestly thought that you would put my little Message from the World Cup in the mag. :P

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

By the way, Stevo, I never honestly thought that you would put my little Message from the World Cup in the mag. :P

789shadow
Yeah, well, I needed to fill up space. Lol. By the way, thank you killab for dishing out the reply before I was capable of. It is always nice to know I can predict the future. :P
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Willy105
Wait, there's a scavenger hunt in this issue!?!
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Can I make a suggestion for a feature? You totally need to up the anty about GOTY soon, with all the high scoring games I think there needs to be some kind of ownage feature come January or december I guess.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Wait, there's a scavenger hunt in this issue!?!Willy105
Someone is a bit late to the party. :)
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 fabz_95

Can I make a suggestion for a feature? You totally need to up the anty about GOTY soon, with all the high scoring games I think there needs to be some kind of ownage feature come January or december I guess.

ActicEdge

You're interested in joining right? Submit an article to us to be considered for joining, then you can help setup an article like that.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15571 Posts

I think you guys should review more PC exclusives ;)

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 789shadow

Vaasman

Well, why don't you review them for us?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15571 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

789shadow

Well, maybe I will then! :x

I really want to rant about APB. Who do I give a submission to?

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 789shadow

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Vaasman

Well, maybe I will then! :x

I really want to rant about APB. Who do I give a submission to?

Any editor.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 fabz_95
PM an officer. Your options are 789Shadow, Stevo_the_Gamer, LegendofNerd, fabz_95, Willy105 etc. Submit it to me if you want the quickest reply :D.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Great issue guys. This is the first time I've actually looked at it (better late than never eh?) and was very very impressed. Kudos to everyone who edited and submitted stuff, I'd potentially like to contribute if I can think of a worthy topic :)
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 fabz_95
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"]Great issue guys. This is the first time I've actually looked at it (better late than never eh?) and was very very impressed. Kudos to everyone who edited and submitted stuff, I'd potentially like to contribute if I can think of a worthy topic :)

Glad you enjoyed your first issue! If you have a contribution, PM me or one of the other officers and if it's good enough, you'll get invited to the union.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Cool idea but there's way too much to try and digest at once. Try and think Kotaku, bitesize info muffins instead of marathon content thats best kept for printed press.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]won? :? Shouldn't you know, Crew Members not participate in the contest? Just something you guys should think about for next Issuekillab2oo5

In case anyone is wondering, or in case anyone wants to be an asshat and call this out, no one in SWM had a handle in SWM before any of you except The_Game21x and musicalmac, but both are honest guys so they are still at the same fair level of game in the challenge as anyone else. Since one uploaded the pdf to his site, and the other moved this topic and stickied it. No one here has an unfair advantage. Besides me. Since... I know already where they are.Stevo_the_gamer

[/QUOTE

Actually you're the third person to address an issue I never accused Shadow of doing. :/ I don't believe he cheated, but I believe the SWM Crew has an advantage over all other members in System Wars, and that's being given a heads up when the issue will hit the System War forum. It was a contest based off of how quickly one kind find stars, so timing is everything ...

Shadow has however said he didn't jump into the thread till a couple of hours after it was posted, which I totally believe him but it doesn't change the fact that Crew Members still get heads up when the Mag will be posted so they can admire the final product WHICH leads them to having a heads up over regular System Warriors ...

BUT that's not even my main problem with Crew Members participating ... my whole thing is the principle of the matter. Like I said earlier, which no one has yet to address, would you like it if GS or any company threw a contest and one of their very own staff members won rather than the community? I'm sure this contest was implemented to reach out to the community for the community.

A simple "We'll take your concerns into consideration next time" would have been nice, but obviously people have already made up their minds on how they're gonna run things.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 789shadow

[QUOTE="killab2oo5"]

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]won? :? Shouldn't you know, Crew Members not participate in the contest? Just something you guys should think about for next IssueW1NGMAN-

[/QUOTE

Actually you're the third person to address an issue I never accused Shadow of doing. :/ I don't believe he cheated, but I believe the SWM Crew has an advantage over all other members in System Wars, and that's being given a heads up when the issue will hit the System War forum. It was a contest based off of how quickly one kind find stars, so timing is everything ...

Shadow has however said he didn't jump into the thread till a couple of hours after it was posted, which I totally believe him but it doesn't change the fact that Crew Members still get heads up when the Mag will be posted so they can admire the final product WHICH leads them to having a heads up over regular System Warriors ...

BUT that's not even my main problem with Crew Members participating ... my whole thing is the principle of the matter. Like I said earlier, which no one has yet to address, would you like it if GS or any company threw a contest and one of their very own staff members won rather than the community? I'm sure this contest was implemented to reach out to the community for the community.

A simple "We'll take your concerns into consideration next time" would have been nice, but obviously people have already made up their minds on how they're gonna run things.

Unfortunately, Stevo posted the new issue by complete surprise.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

it doesn't change the fact that Crew Members still get heads up when the Mag will be posted so they can admire the final product WHICH leads them to having a heads up over regular System Warriors ...

W1NGMAN-

That's not a fact. You're assuming that. SWM has no notification, no telegram, no nothing notifying members when the issue goes up. We have no final deadline, I give estimates when I'll be finished, but they're just that -- estimates. For example, I guessed the issue would launch on the 3rd, or the 5th. It didn't hit either of those two dates.

No one had an advantage. No one. It was a luck of the draw for the folks posting on SW at that time.

Considering it was my money that I was practically handing out, I decided to give everyone a chance including members of SWM. It was my decision. And I do not regret that decision at all. Especially considering SWM is a magazine driven by the community as a whole. Everyone is a member of SWM so to speak in that regard. No one deserves to be left out. Not in my eyes that is.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Unfortunately, Stevo posted the new issue by complete surprise.

789shadow

Unfortunately? Not really unfortunate considering it was planned that way.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Cool idea but there's way too much to try and digest at once. Try and think Kotaku, bitesize info muffins instead of marathon content thats best kept for printed press.tomarlyn
mmmm- bite size info muffins... I agree with this though. Or maybe someone else can volunteer to provide cliff notes.
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="789shadow"]Unfortunately, Stevo posted the new issue by complete surprise.

789shadow

Unfortunately? Not really unfortunate considering it was planned that way.

Unfortunately for Wingman's argument, I mean. :P

Was there any clarification from the beginning that the contest was hosted by 'Stevo_the_gamer' and not 'System Wars Monthly 2.0'? If there was no clarification from the get go, then it is 100% understandable to have a dialogue on the details (the reason why W1ngman probably brought it up in the first place).

I'll tell you what though. I've had plans for a while now to do something similar (thanks to NAPK1NS) for another HYPE thread. And it (this specific feature within the HYPE thread) will be Hosted by me, TREAL_Since, not HYPE. That way everything is transparent and understandable.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Was there any clarification from the beginning that the contest was hosted by 'Stevo_the_gamer' and not 'System Wars Monthly 2.0'? If there was no clarification from the get go, then it is 100% understandable to have a dialogue on the details (the reason why W1ngman probably brought it up in the first place).

TREAL_Since

Aside from a blog of mine, nothing that specific. But considering the challenge says the gift will be coming from me instead of SWM 2.0 as a whole, I guess one should take that directly at face value. Even the Letter to the Editor point let's folks know I'm doing it for them.

Regardless, it shouldn't even matter. I've already outlined weeks ago that this was entirely fair. This issue of unfairness is completely and utterly UNFOUNDED.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Stevo, I don't care if you used your own money. We all knew a SWM member was going to win anyway. Why don't you just admit it? Next time you try to gift something with your own money, don't even bother.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
lol Tagy. You. Frickin'. Would. *goes to remove tagyhag from SWM Cover Specials* Looks like its just Teuf now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]Stevo, I don't care if you used your own money. We all knew a SWM member was going to win anyway. Why don't you just admit it? Next time you try to gift something with your own money, don't even bother.

Wouldn't have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]lol Tagy. You. Frickin'. Would. *goes to remove tagyhag from SWM Cover Specials* Looks like its just Teuf now.

Awww :( *Takes off tinfoil hat* Ok I'll be good. :D
Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

W1NGMAN-

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. Stevo was under no obligation to purchase a free game for any of us in the first place.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

While there is no doubt in my mind that everything was done above-board, allowing a SWM contributor to win a SWM-related contest is frankly shady. Hell, even if the winner wasn't a SWM contributor but was a member of a tangentially-related union like GUFU or HYPE it would come across as questionable.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with prizes of any real value; it's a nice gesture Stevo (and TREAL, and anyone else for that matter), but you're just asking for trouble.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#247 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

While there is no doubt in my mind that everything was done above-board, allowing a SWM contributor to win a SWM-related contest is frankly shady. Hell, even if the winner wasn't a SWM contributor but was a member of a tangentially-related union like GUFU or HYPE is would come across as questionable.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with prizes of any real value; it's a nice gesture Stevo (and TREAL, and anyone else for that matter), but you're just asking for trouble.

PBSnipes

I agree, even though I don't think that anything shady happened in this situation, when a member of the magazine wins questions will be raised. And since I didn't say if before great issue :), I just thought I'd post since I seen this thread back form the dead for tonight.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I do not believe in limiting participation because of a certain banner that may be with them. Everyone, save myself for obvious reasons, deserved to have some fun with the next issue. If this were a professional magazine with salaries and money to be made, I would agree it would be shady. But this is a community magazine ran by good folks who love to please hopeful readers out there, and provide the information that they might otherwise wouldn't see on SW; in the end, we're all still the same. SWM is driven by SW. No one is excluded from participating. Snap into reality if you think we're doing shady things.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

Sky-

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. Stevo was under no obligation to purchase a free game for any of us in the first place.

wth.. Stevo was going to buy someone a free game?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Stevo was going to buy someone a free game?Couth_

Was going to? I already did, foo. :P

Edit: Wait. How does one buy a "free" game? :o