Sony's DRM intentions...........

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

Don't think for a second that Sony was never going to implement DRM.

This is the Patent File from January, 2013.

They probably agreed to do it along side MS but decided to pull the rug out and make MS look like the bad guy.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20130007892&OS=20130007892&RS=20130007892

A lot to read but here are some of the key parts:

[0005] A technology of digital rights management (DRM) is introduced to prevent the electronic content from being used unlimitedly.

[0006] Typically, DRM is a technology for the prevention of the unlimited copy of electronic content. To this end, the inventor recognized that there are cases where it is difficult to suitably restrict the use of electronic content, stored in the recording medium like DVD and commercially traded, according to the attributes of use entities of the electronic content.

[0007] The present invention has been made in view of the aforementioned problems, and the main purpose thereof is to provide a technology for restricting the use of electronic content store in a recording medium according to the use entities of the electronic content.

Enjoy!

#2 Posted by Suppaman100 (3584 posts) -

Speculations, speculations everywhere.

#3 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

Denial, denial everywhere.

#4 Edited by MonsieurX (28664 posts) -

Perfectly fine for cows to use rumors but lems can't

#5 Posted by da_illest101 (7405 posts) -

But it didn't happen, so who cares

#6 Posted by Muffin2020 (527 posts) -

Well they didn't and MS tried to.

That's really all that counts at the end of the day.

#7 Posted by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB

#8 Posted by TheRealBigRich (691 posts) -

Well they didn't and MS tried to.

That's really all that counts at the end of the day.

yes tried that is what counts that at the end of the day nothing actually happened from either side so whats the big deal

#9 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

You like cats. You have zero credibility then.

#10 Posted by _Matt_ (8763 posts) -

They probably agreed to do it along side MS but decided to pull the rug out and make MS look like the bad guy.

Tin foil hat time!

#11 Edited by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

You are right there, i do love my pussies :)

#12 Edited by xxyetixx (1206 posts) -

I feel like I am the only one upset about MS back out of the DRM and changing their policies. At least they had a plan and how it was going to be for every dev. Now it's up to the dev's and publishers to do what they want for DRM on their games on both consoles, everyone whined and complained about MS's DRM but Sony was letting it up to the publishers now both are, who know's what will happen or be implemented now

#13 Posted by NFJSupreme (5020 posts) -

It is going to happen. The people who deny this are in just as much denial as the people who think 720p doesn't matter. Some of you need to get your head out of the sand and read the writing on the wall.

#14 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (750 posts) -

This thread is dumb.

#15 Edited by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

I think Sony originally intended to have DRM but backed out when they heard all the negative feedback MIcrosoft was getting. They painted themselves as heroes at E3, but had Sony shown off PS4 before Microsoft with Xbox One then I 100% believe it would have been PS4 with the DRM and making the U-Turn, not Xbox One. In truth I think that DRM will happen in the future, and its only a matter of time before all consoles have it!

#17 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -
#18 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

This thread is dumb.

This thread is about real truth. Something you should familiarize yourself with.

#19 Edited by thedork_knight (866 posts) -

its funny as if this was MS cows would be going mental reporting it as fact

#20 Posted by _Matt_ (8763 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Sweenix said:

You are right there, i do love my pussies :)

Who doesn't?

#21 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

o dear Cows will be on suicide watch

#22 Posted by Shewgenja (7934 posts) -

So, what OP is saying is, MS saw this and was like "Oh man! We GOTTA DO THIS!" and then you got TVBox720. Congratulations, MS managed to turn a bad idea from Sony into a terrible idea for YOU!

#23 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

So, what OP is saying is, MS saw this and was like "Oh man! We GOTTA DO THIS!" and then you got TVBox720. Congratulations, MS managed to turn a bad idea from Sony into a terrible idea for YOU!

gotta love the cow twist. Sony wont be around much longer so this conversation will seem silly.

#24 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

Many things are patented, but never used. I mean Sony and MS both have a sizeable list of unused patents.

#25 Edited by Heil68 (42650 posts) -

But then Sony realized they were practicing the by gamers for gamers mantra coupled with the Live, Learn and Love philosophy and decided not to implement it.

I'd like to take this moment to give a quick shout out to Sony for standing up and doing what's right for us gamers.

Thank you Sony.

#26 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

I applaud you for your honesty

#27 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

I applaud you both for the circle jerk.... Bravo

#28 Edited by lamprey263 (22430 posts) -

I remember when they put computer viruses on music CDs when loaded when people put them in their computer, caused a huge scene years ago

and it's not like they weren't thinking of getting rid of used games on the PS3, that created backlash as well and they withdrew

anyhow, you don't have to worry about 24/7 DRM checks, that was only a solution MS came up with for having discless play with used games, if the used game market is eliminated it wouldn't be necessary, you simply buy, install and register online, and you can play offline from then on, the 24 hour check was to ensure people weren't installing, playing offline, then trading/selling their games while they continue to play the game they no longer have offline

#29 Posted by clyde46 (43562 posts) -

Only MS can take an idea that fucked over another company and still think it was the best thing since sliced bread.

#30 Posted by Shewgenja (7934 posts) -

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Shewgenja said:

Joke's on you. Neither of us are cows.

#31 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (3770 posts) -

PS4 pre order cancelled, can't trust them not to try to implement it mid gen,

#32 Posted by handssss (1624 posts) -

Why do people say this like it matters. What you fail to realize is while they may have had every intention of doing things just like Microsoft was going to do, they didn't and they said that they didn't first. Imagine this scenario. Sony takes the stage and doesn't say they will support used games and whatnot. Say that their policies were the same as Microsoft's.

Microsoft's plans were known about for at least a month and the entire time and even after e3, people were pissed and complaining. Microsoft didn't care. If sony followed suit, what would these angry fans do? They wouldn't drop the Xbox and go over to Playstation. The Wii? Well that isn't a viable option for many online gamers with a eavy interest in 3rd parties. And PC gaming is still too complex and seemingly expensive for many. There would be complaining, but ultimately nothing could be done.

But Sony took action and said no to DRM and no to restricting used games. Was it purely because they care about gamers? No and it doesn't matter. What matters is they took that step and that forced Microsoft to do a 180. No matter whose side of the fence you're on, unless you WANTED those awful things, you owe sony your thanks.

#33 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Shewgenja said:

Joke's on you. Neither of us are cows.

You spew cow on here everyday. If you are not a cow then we can at least call you a chronic liar.

#34 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@handssss said:

Why do people say this like it matters. What you fail to realize is while they may have had every intention of doing things just like Microsoft was going to do, they didn't and they said that they didn't first. Imagine this scenario. Sony takes the stage and doesn't say they will support used games and whatnot. Say that their policies were the same as Microsoft's.

Microsoft's plans were known about for at least a month and the entire time and even after e3, people were pissed and complaining. Microsoft didn't care. If sony followed suit, what would these angry fans do? They wouldn't drop the Xbox and go over to Playstation. The Wii? Well that isn't a viable option for many online gamers with a eavy interest in 3rd parties. And PC gaming is still too complex and seemingly expensive for many. There would be complaining, but ultimately nothing could be done.

But Sony took action and said no to DRM and no to restricting used games. Was it purely because they care about gamers? No and it doesn't matter. What matters is they took that step and that forced Microsoft to do a 180. No matter whose side of the fence you're on, unless you WANTED those awful things, you owe sony your thanks.

Nice story. It was like I was really there.

OR......Sony was on board with DRM all along and chose to leave MS out in the cold and look like the white knight that is opposed to all things bad. The saw a "business" opportunity which involved betrayal, and took it.

They are all about short term to save the company. That is why there is such a push to get pre orders. Get as many out the door in a hurry.

#35 Posted by shawn30 (4290 posts) -

The nerve of you to say that when you live off rumors, sources, and anonymous info, lol. Come on man, Sony was gonna do exactly what MS was. But they were smarter in seeing the reaction and killing it before they announced it. But stop pretending Sony is your dear old sweet grandma that bakes you cookies and kisses your owiees :)

#36 Edited by Wasdie (49326 posts) -

Seems like a pretty broad patent. Remember, Sony does have a lot of digital media services.

#37 Posted by Jynxzor (9280 posts) -

Stuf is patented all the time with no plan to ever use it.

#38 Posted by handssss (1624 posts) -

@handssss said:

OR......Sony was on board with DRM all along and chose to leave MS out in the cold and look like the white knight that is opposed to all things bad. The saw a "business" opportunity which involved betrayal, and took it.

They are all about short term to save the company. That is why there is such a push to get pre orders. Get as many out the door in a hurry.

there is no "OR" to my point, you dumbass. I never gave a reason WHY they did it nor did I say it matters. Learn to read.

#39 Posted by shawn30 (4290 posts) -

It is going to happen. The people who deny this are in just as much denial as the people who think 720p doesn't matter. Some of you need to get your head out of the sand and read the writing on the wall.

It will, but MS completely fucked up in doing 2 things in my mind.

1. Options. Do DRM, but still give the consumer the right to play the old way. Let them try the DRM stuff, see the always online benefits while fully knowing he can go back at any time. That would have changed MS's entire message on how always online could work.

2. Waited at least a year into the Xbox Ones life cycle. Come out the old way, disc in system or install, They show why always online is something you may want to try, but since you've been enjoying the system as is already, that will always be available to you.

But yeah, I expect always online will return on both consoles, but a lesson has been learned. Let people try it to see what they think, but keep the old way as an option.

#40 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@handssss said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@handssss said:

there is no "OR" to my point, you dumbass. I never gave a reason WHY they did it nor did I say it matters. Learn to read.

You implied that we owe Sony a thanks? That was your opinion. "OR" there is my opinion.

Pull the stupidity out of your ass.

#41 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@Jynxzor said:

Stuf is patented all the time with no plan to ever use it.

Then again, "stuff" that is patented is used plenty of times...............

#42 Posted by Shewgenja (7934 posts) -

10/10 Lem backfire thread. Would read again!

#43 Posted by remiks00 (1533 posts) -

lol..., this news is soooooooooooooooooo old.

#44 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6194 posts) -

All consoles have DRM

#45 Posted by shawn30 (4290 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

But then Sony realized they were practicing the by gamers for gamers mantra coupled with the Live, Learn and Love philosophy and decided not to implement it.

I'd like to take this moment to give a quick shout out to Sony for standing up and doing what's right for us gamers.

Thank you Sony.

There's a point to your madness. I'm starting to see that now :)

#46 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16464 posts) -

Don't think for a second that Sony was never going to implement DRM.

This is the Patent File from January, 2013.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20130007892&OS=20130007892&RS=20130007892

A lot to read but here are some of the key parts:

[0005] A technology of digital rights management (DRM) is introduced to prevent the electronic content from being used unlimitedly.

[0006] Typically, DRM is a technology for the prevention of the unlimited copy of electronic content. To this end, the inventor recognized that there are cases where it is difficult to suitably restrict the use of electronic content, stored in the recording medium like DVD and commercially traded, according to the attributes of use entities of the electronic content.

[0007] The present invention has been made in view of the aforementioned problems, and the main purpose thereof is to provide a technology for restricting the use of electronic content store in a recording medium according to the use entities of the electronic content.

Enjoy!

You're trying too hard kid. This is old news. People patent things all the time and never use them. Sony has already spoken on DRM. Try to keep up with the rest of us, will ya.

#47 Edited by handssss (1624 posts) -

@handssss said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@handssss said:

You implied that we owe Sony a thanks? That was your opinion. "OR" there is my opinion.

Pull the stupidity out of your ass.

had sony not what they did, microsoft would not have done a 180. so yes, you have sony to thank for that whether or not you are a fan of them or their system.

If you still can't understand this very basic truth, perhaps i need a visual aid with lots of pretty colors and maybe that will help you.

#48 Edited by Gue1 (9124 posts) -

Sony has a hell bunch of patents you know. They have patents for the Move from way before the Wii was even announced yet people treat it like lies and keep saying that they copied Nintendo. But when it comes to some patent about DRM now those are true and enough prove for whatever stuff you want to accuse Sony off.

Gotta love double standards.

#49 Posted by blackace (19732 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe: We know they wanted to go that route, but was waiting for Microsoft to announce it first. If M$ had shown games in their first reveal and waited for Sony to talk about DRM at the E3, it might have been a different outcome. After Sony saw all the negative, they completely backed out of it. They even admitted that they wanted to include their camera in the PS4, but decided not to after seeing the XBox One costing $100 more then the PS4 and realizing they would lose even more money on each PS4. If XB1 was $400 with Kinect, Sony would have probably inlcuded it.

#50 Edited by Animal-Mother (26203 posts) -

Even if it was intended for PS4 it's not happening on the system. So why give a flying fuck now anyways when the system is 2 weeks from release?