Sony's DRM intentions...........

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

Don't think for a second that Sony was never going to implement DRM.

This is the Patent File from January, 2013.

They probably agreed to do it along side MS but decided to pull the rug out and make MS look like the bad guy.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20130007892&OS=20130007892&RS=20130007892

A lot to read but here are some of the key parts:

[0005] A technology of digital rights management (DRM) is introduced to prevent the electronic content from being used unlimitedly.

[0006] Typically, DRM is a technology for the prevention of the unlimited copy of electronic content. To this end, the inventor recognized that there are cases where it is difficult to suitably restrict the use of electronic content, stored in the recording medium like DVD and commercially traded, according to the attributes of use entities of the electronic content.

[0007] The present invention has been made in view of the aforementioned problems, and the main purpose thereof is to provide a technology for restricting the use of electronic content store in a recording medium according to the use entities of the electronic content.

Enjoy!

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Speculations, speculations everywhere.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SinjinSmythe

@Suppaman100 said:

Denial, denial everywhere.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Perfectly fine for cows to use rumors but lems can't

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

But it didn't happen, so who cares

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

Well they didn't and MS tried to.

That's really all that counts at the end of the day.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

@muffin2020 said:

Well they didn't and MS tried to.

That's really all that counts at the end of the day.

yes tried that is what counts that at the end of the day nothing actually happened from either side so whats the big deal

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SinjinSmythe

@Sweenix said:

You like cats. You have zero credibility then.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@SinjinSmythe said:

They probably agreed to do it along side MS but decided to pull the rug out and make MS look like the bad guy.

Tin foil hat time!

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Sweenix said:

You are right there, i do love my pussies :)

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

I feel like I am the only one upset about MS back out of the DRM and changing their policies. At least they had a plan and how it was going to be for every dev. Now it's up to the dev's and publishers to do what they want for DRM on their games on both consoles, everyone whined and complained about MS's DRM but Sony was letting it up to the publishers now both are, who know's what will happen or be implemented now

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

It is going to happen. The people who deny this are in just as much denial as the people who think 720p doesn't matter. Some of you need to get your head out of the sand and read the writing on the wall.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

This thread is dumb.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I think Sony originally intended to have DRM but backed out when they heard all the negative feedback MIcrosoft was getting. They painted themselves as heroes at E3, but had Sony shown off PS4 before Microsoft with Xbox One then I 100% believe it would have been PS4 with the DRM and making the U-Turn, not Xbox One. In truth I think that DRM will happen in the future, and its only a matter of time before all consoles have it!

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SinjinSmythe

@Suppaman100 said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Denial, denial everywhere.

Butthurt, butthurt lemmings everywhere.

I don't see any.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SinjinSmythe

@TheTruthIsREAL said:

This thread is dumb.

This thread is about real truth. Something you should familiarize yourself with.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

its funny as if this was MS cows would be going mental reporting it as fact

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@Sweenix said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Sweenix said:

You are right there, i do love my pussies :)

Who doesn't?

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

o dear Cows will be on suicide watch

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

So, what OP is saying is, MS saw this and was like "Oh man! We GOTTA DO THIS!" and then you got TVBox720. Congratulations, MS managed to turn a bad idea from Sony into a terrible idea for YOU!

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SinjinSmythe

@Shewgenja said:

So, what OP is saying is, MS saw this and was like "Oh man! We GOTTA DO THIS!" and then you got TVBox720. Congratulations, MS managed to turn a bad idea from Sony into a terrible idea for YOU!

gotta love the cow twist. Sony wont be around much longer so this conversation will seem silly.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Many things are patented, but never used. I mean Sony and MS both have a sizeable list of unused patents.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

But then Sony realized they were practicing the by gamers for gamers mantra coupled with the Live, Learn and Love philosophy and decided not to implement it.

I'd like to take this moment to give a quick shout out to Sony for standing up and doing what's right for us gamers.

Thank you Sony.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I applaud you for your honesty

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SinjinSmythe

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Shewgenja said:

I applaud you both for the circle jerk.... Bravo

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I remember when they put computer viruses on music CDs when loaded when people put them in their computer, caused a huge scene years ago

and it's not like they weren't thinking of getting rid of used games on the PS3, that created backlash as well and they withdrew

anyhow, you don't have to worry about 24/7 DRM checks, that was only a solution MS came up with for having discless play with used games, if the used game market is eliminated it wouldn't be necessary, you simply buy, install and register online, and you can play offline from then on, the 24 hour check was to ensure people weren't installing, playing offline, then trading/selling their games while they continue to play the game they no longer have offline

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Only MS can take an idea that fucked over another company and still think it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shewgenja

@SinjinSmythe said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Shewgenja said:

Joke's on you. Neither of us are cows.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

PS4 pre order cancelled, can't trust them not to try to implement it mid gen,

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Why do people say this like it matters. What you fail to realize is while they may have had every intention of doing things just like Microsoft was going to do, they didn't and they said that they didn't first. Imagine this scenario. Sony takes the stage and doesn't say they will support used games and whatnot. Say that their policies were the same as Microsoft's.

Microsoft's plans were known about for at least a month and the entire time and even after e3, people were pissed and complaining. Microsoft didn't care. If sony followed suit, what would these angry fans do? They wouldn't drop the Xbox and go over to Playstation. The Wii? Well that isn't a viable option for many online gamers with a eavy interest in 3rd parties. And PC gaming is still too complex and seemingly expensive for many. There would be complaining, but ultimately nothing could be done.

But Sony took action and said no to DRM and no to restricting used games. Was it purely because they care about gamers? No and it doesn't matter. What matters is they took that step and that forced Microsoft to do a 180. No matter whose side of the fence you're on, unless you WANTED those awful things, you owe sony your thanks.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SinjinSmythe

@Shewgenja said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Shewgenja said:

Joke's on you. Neither of us are cows.

You spew cow on here everyday. If you are not a cow then we can at least call you a chronic liar.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SinjinSmythe

@handssss said:

Why do people say this like it matters. What you fail to realize is while they may have had every intention of doing things just like Microsoft was going to do, they didn't and they said that they didn't first. Imagine this scenario. Sony takes the stage and doesn't say they will support used games and whatnot. Say that their policies were the same as Microsoft's.

Microsoft's plans were known about for at least a month and the entire time and even after e3, people were pissed and complaining. Microsoft didn't care. If sony followed suit, what would these angry fans do? They wouldn't drop the Xbox and go over to Playstation. The Wii? Well that isn't a viable option for many online gamers with a eavy interest in 3rd parties. And PC gaming is still too complex and seemingly expensive for many. There would be complaining, but ultimately nothing could be done.

But Sony took action and said no to DRM and no to restricting used games. Was it purely because they care about gamers? No and it doesn't matter. What matters is they took that step and that forced Microsoft to do a 180. No matter whose side of the fence you're on, unless you WANTED those awful things, you owe sony your thanks.

Nice story. It was like I was really there.

OR......Sony was on board with DRM all along and chose to leave MS out in the cold and look like the white knight that is opposed to all things bad. The saw a "business" opportunity which involved betrayal, and took it.

They are all about short term to save the company. That is why there is such a push to get pre orders. Get as many out the door in a hurry.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

The nerve of you to say that when you live off rumors, sources, and anonymous info, lol. Come on man, Sony was gonna do exactly what MS was. But they were smarter in seeing the reaction and killing it before they announced it. But stop pretending Sony is your dear old sweet grandma that bakes you cookies and kisses your owiees :)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Seems like a pretty broad patent. Remember, Sony does have a lot of digital media services.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Stuf is patented all the time with no plan to ever use it.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 handssss

@SinjinSmythe said:

@handssss said:

OR......Sony was on board with DRM all along and chose to leave MS out in the cold and look like the white knight that is opposed to all things bad. The saw a "business" opportunity which involved betrayal, and took it.

They are all about short term to save the company. That is why there is such a push to get pre orders. Get as many out the door in a hurry.

there is no "OR" to my point, you dumbass. I never gave a reason WHY they did it nor did I say it matters. Learn to read.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shawn30

@NFJSupreme said:

It is going to happen. The people who deny this are in just as much denial as the people who think 720p doesn't matter. Some of you need to get your head out of the sand and read the writing on the wall.

It will, but MS completely fucked up in doing 2 things in my mind.

1. Options. Do DRM, but still give the consumer the right to play the old way. Let them try the DRM stuff, see the always online benefits while fully knowing he can go back at any time. That would have changed MS's entire message on how always online could work.

2. Waited at least a year into the Xbox Ones life cycle. Come out the old way, disc in system or install, They show why always online is something you may want to try, but since you've been enjoying the system as is already, that will always be available to you.

But yeah, I expect always online will return on both consoles, but a lesson has been learned. Let people try it to see what they think, but keep the old way as an option.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SinjinSmythe

@handssss said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@handssss said:

there is no "OR" to my point, you dumbass. I never gave a reason WHY they did it nor did I say it matters. Learn to read.

You implied that we owe Sony a thanks? That was your opinion. "OR" there is my opinion.

Pull the stupidity out of your ass.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SinjinSmythe

@Jynxzor said:

Stuf is patented all the time with no plan to ever use it.

Then again, "stuff" that is patented is used plenty of times...............

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shewgenja

10/10 Lem backfire thread. Would read again!

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#43 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

lol..., this news is soooooooooooooooooo old.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

All consoles have DRM

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shawn30

@Heil68 said:

But then Sony realized they were practicing the by gamers for gamers mantra coupled with the Live, Learn and Love philosophy and decided not to implement it.

I'd like to take this moment to give a quick shout out to Sony for standing up and doing what's right for us gamers.

Thank you Sony.

There's a point to your madness. I'm starting to see that now :)

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@SinjinSmythe said:

Don't think for a second that Sony was never going to implement DRM.

This is the Patent File from January, 2013.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20130007892&OS=20130007892&RS=20130007892

A lot to read but here are some of the key parts:

[0005] A technology of digital rights management (DRM) is introduced to prevent the electronic content from being used unlimitedly.

[0006] Typically, DRM is a technology for the prevention of the unlimited copy of electronic content. To this end, the inventor recognized that there are cases where it is difficult to suitably restrict the use of electronic content, stored in the recording medium like DVD and commercially traded, according to the attributes of use entities of the electronic content.

[0007] The present invention has been made in view of the aforementioned problems, and the main purpose thereof is to provide a technology for restricting the use of electronic content store in a recording medium according to the use entities of the electronic content.

Enjoy!

You're trying too hard kid. This is old news. People patent things all the time and never use them. Sony has already spoken on DRM. Try to keep up with the rest of us, will ya.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By handssss

@SinjinSmythe said:

@handssss said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

@handssss said:

You implied that we owe Sony a thanks? That was your opinion. "OR" there is my opinion.

Pull the stupidity out of your ass.

had sony not what they did, microsoft would not have done a 180. so yes, you have sony to thank for that whether or not you are a fan of them or their system.

If you still can't understand this very basic truth, perhaps i need a visual aid with lots of pretty colors and maybe that will help you.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Sony has a hell bunch of patents you know. They have patents for the Move from way before the Wii was even announced yet people treat it like lies and keep saying that they copied Nintendo. But when it comes to some patent about DRM now those are true and enough prove for whatever stuff you want to accuse Sony off.

Gotta love double standards.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@SinjinSmythe: We know they wanted to go that route, but was waiting for Microsoft to announce it first. If M$ had shown games in their first reveal and waited for Sony to talk about DRM at the E3, it might have been a different outcome. After Sony saw all the negative, they completely backed out of it. They even admitted that they wanted to include their camera in the PS4, but decided not to after seeing the XBox One costing $100 more then the PS4 and realizing they would lose even more money on each PS4. If XB1 was $400 with Kinect, Sony would have probably inlcuded it.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Even if it was intended for PS4 it's not happening on the system. So why give a flying **** now anyways when the system is 2 weeks from release?