So hermits, which is graphics king now: Crysis or Battlefield 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Why are mods apart of graphics debates?

mods are the product of the time of a either a collective or indivdual that put resouces together to make their experience and others more enjoyable.

modders to not have to worry about deadlines, stockbrokers, asshat management, funds (sometimes) and pink slips.

modders have an unprecedented amount of time to complete usually just {EMPHASIS ON USUALLY} (ini files, texture files and sound files)

devs have to complete and entire game...

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#152 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I'm gonna have to side with BF3 for the time being. Crysis just doesn't look as amazing these days...

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts

Neither because Uncharted 3 is the new graphics king now, and it always will be until Uncharted 4 comes out. :P

But seriously, I know that PC has more powerful games like Crysis and BF and it can max out the settings ect...but I think Uncharted 3 takes the cake because it has better art direction and charecter animation.

Uncharted 3 all the way!

ShadowMoses900

Uncharted 3 can't even take on a simple multiplat like Bulletstorm (PC), how can it even go against the heavyweights?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

However, I pitch this out there as a contender.

Mystic-G

Pfft, F1 2011 looks better IMO.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#155 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

mods are the product of the time of a either a collective or indivdual that put resouces together to make their experience and others more enjoyable.

modders to not have to worry about deadlines, stockbrokers, asshat management, funds (sometimes) and pink slips.

modders have an unprecedented amount of time to complete usually just {EMPHASIS ON USUALLY} (ini files, texture files and sound files)

samuraiguns

Probably because it shows what taking advantage of the hardware of a gaming rig. means, we see somewhat of a result instead of making assumptions. I believe it's a valid comparison.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#156 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Neither because Uncharted 3 is the new graphics king now, and it always will be until Uncharted 4 comes out. :P

But seriously, I know that PC has more powerful games like Crysis and BF and it can max out the settings ect...but I think Uncharted 3 takes the cake because it has better art direction and charecter animation.

Uncharted 3 all the way!

ShadowMoses900

Art direction is the only thing UC3 does better overall, on the technical side it's not even that close.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

samuraiguns
The fact that most graphic mods are done by 1 or 2 people puts the devs to shame. Sure it may take some a while but the fact that so few work on them only goes to show what they could've easily done better.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="samuraiguns"]

Mystic-G

The fact that most graphic mods are done by 1 or 2 people puts the devs to shame. Sure it may take some a while but the fact that so few work on them only goes to show what they could've easily done better.

no schedules, no pressure, and they're just modding the graphics, while devs had to worry about the whole freaking game, INCLUDING but not limiting to the graphics that were made from scratch so other people could mod them.

and modders don't care about specs. devs have to, if they want to reach a broad audience.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#159 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Uncharted 3 all the way!

ShadowMoses900

I think that's always been a problem I had with PC games.

They look stunning, amazing and beautiful, but they have no sense of art or st.yle. Crysis, Metro and BF3 might be the prettiest games in the world right now, but you never get any games with an Okami aesthetic, or Silent Hill's rust and fog stylings.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Uncharted 3 all the way!

mitu123

Art direction is the only thing UC3 does better overall, on the technical side it's not even that close.

That.

Console games have certianly come a long way but UC3 being superior to the likes of Crysis and BF3? Please. Those games walk all over UC3.

GeorgeCScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 GeorgeCScott
Member since 2011 • 64 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Uncharted 3 all the way!

The_Game21x

That.

Console games have certianly come a long way but UC3 being superior to the likes of Crysis and BF3? Please. Those games walk all over UC3.

Not to mention console games use trickery and skyboxes.

Crysis / BF are open world. NO linear corridor game should be allowed in the comparison.

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

If we're talking about consoles, it would be crysis 2, but on PC, it would be BF3

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Uncharted 3 all the way!

SPYDER0416

I think that's always been a problem I had with PC games.

They look stunning, amazing and beautiful, but they have no sense of art or st.yle. Crysis, Metro and BF3 might be the prettiest games in the world right now, but you never get any games with an Okami aesthetic, or Silent Hill's rust and fog stylings.

since you didn't specify exclusives (they barely exist now anyway), i'll just say Bastion and call it a day.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
Terraria has better destruction than both.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 BrunoBRS
Terraria has better destruction than both.ActionRemix
no, voxatron has better destruction. and it's on the new indie bundle.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#166 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Crysis

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#167 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Crysis with mods. Vanilla BF3 tops vanilla Crysis though.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#168 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

BF3 I would say is best looking right now, its just downright beautiful on PC.

Next I would have to put GTA IV, The Witcher2, Stalker, Crysis1, Crysis2, Metro and Total War Shogun2.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 mitu123

Next I would have to put GTA IV, The Witcher2, Stalker, Crysis1, Crysis2, Metro and Total War Shogun2.

kozzy1234

Modded GTA IV only, vanilla can't touch those games.:P

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I think you should call this thread "do you prefer lush jungle environments or detailed cities?".

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Crysis 2 DX11 + Blackfire mod looks better

GTA4 modded looks better

Crysis with mods looks better

Doom 3 with mods looks better

Witcher 2 looks nearly as good

Metro 2033 DX11 looks better

Shogun 2 DX11 is technically a whole gen ahead

BF3 is overrated graphics wise and it was confirmed a console port, so hermits dont need to pretend it looks better because its "a PC game" when it isnt

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

BF3 is overrated graphics wise and it was confirmed a console port, so hermits dont need to pretend it looks better because its "a PC game" when it isnt

HaloinventedFPS

So what's a "PC game" then? By your definition not even The Witcher 2 is a "real" PC game since it has "simplified" combat or something along those lines.

screamingdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#173 screamingdoom
Member since 2007 • 884 Posts

I think you should call this thread "do you prefer lush jungle environments or detailed cities?".

nameless12345
Haha there is a fine line between the two I agree
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="HaloinventedFPS"]

nameless12345

So what's a "PC game" then? By your definition not even The Witcher 2 is a "real" PC game since it has "simplified" combat or something along those lines.

Wait, I thought we were talking about graphics?
GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

crysis2 PC whoops everything with ease

screamingdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 screamingdoom

samuraiguns
Well I did specify no mods but oh well
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#177 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
It's been like 4 years since the release of Crysis. I think it's about time it got dethroned.
Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Anyone else find the jaggies in Battlefield 3 terrible? Still an awesome looking game though.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 mitu123

Anyone else find the jaggies in Battlefield 3 terrible? Still an awesome looking game though.

Ross_the_Boss6

What jaggies?

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Well I didn't notice any in the single player (or very little) but I think they're pretty prevalent in the multiplayer. Just wish we'd get higher AA options.

Also, please don't prove me wrong with more pictures. :cry:

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#181 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Crysis / BF are open world. NO linear corridor game should be allowed in the comparison.

GeorgeCScott

BF3 is an extremely linear corridor shooter. And uses skyboxes.

I always find these claims of "trickery" odd. Just about every single graphical feature in games is a cheap trick to approximate the real thing or offline rendering methods. Parrallax mapping? Just a trick to make a flat surface appear to have depth. SSAO? A cheap low quality approximation of ambient occlusion. Fancy smoke effects? Just a bunch of translucent planes floating around to make it look like actual smoke particles.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="walkingdream"]

BF3 on Ultra + Destrubile Enviroments (yes i know everything is not destrutible.)

mitu123

Crysis has way better destruction

Can you do this in Crysis?

And I meant buildings, not those easily destructable shacks that renders less.

No, you can't do that in Crysis, but the physics in Crysis is leagues ahead of BF3. BF3 may have more destruction, but the way the debris flies around in BF3 is laughable compared to Crysis. Also, you can't chop down trees with a MG in BF3.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

Also, the water in BF3 is hideous. At least in MP, don't know about SP.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 mitu123

Well I didn't notice any in the single player (or very little) but I think they're pretty prevalent in the multiplayer. Just wish we'd get higher AA options.

Also, please don't prove me wrong with more pictures. :cry:

Ross_the_Boss6

Just use 8xAA+ to get rid of jaggies, lol.

screamingdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 screamingdoom

[QUOTE="GeorgeCScott"]

ferret-gamer

I always find these claims of "trickery" odd. Just about every single graphical feature in games is a cheap trick to approximate the real thing or offline rendering methods. Parrallax mapping? Just a trick to make a flat surface appear to have depth. SSAO? A cheap low quality approximation of ambient occlusion. Fancy smoke effects? Just a bunch of translucent planes floating around to make it look like actual smoke particles.

The multiplayer isn't linear and seems to be just as graphically impressive as the single player
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Crysis has way better destruction

nunovlopes

Can you do this in Crysis?

And I meant buildings, not those easily destructable shacks that renders less.

No, you can't do that in Crysis, but the physics in Crysis is leagues ahead of BF3. BF3 may have more destruction, but the way the debris flies around in BF3 is laughable compared to Crysis. Also, you can't chop down trees with a MG in BF3.

I know all that. But it's easy to do physics on something that's nowhere near a building in terms of rendering.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

[QUOTE="GeorgeCScott"]

screamingdoom

The multiplayer isn't linear and seems to be just as graphically impressive as the single player

the term corridor shooter is used to describe single player though, few multiplayer games are linear, Uncharted's multiplayer generally isn't linear either. And the multiplayer of bf3 isn't open world anyways which was the guy's original claim, it just has big maps.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#188 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

[QUOTE="GeorgeCScott"]

screamingdoom

The multiplayer for most shooters aren't linear...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

mitu123

Woot :D

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

wis3boi

i'm confused, are you agreeing with him or not? :P

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 mitu123

GTA4 modded looks better

Crysis with mods looks better

Doom 3 with mods looks better

Witcher 2 looks nearly as good

Metro 2033 DX11 looks better

Shogun 2 DX11 is technically a whole gen ahead

HaloinventedFPS

You mean this mod?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhOHQORVSdc

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

HaloinventedFPS

Definitely disagree there. I run Crysis 2 maxed on my PC with the blackfire mod installed and it does not look as good as BF3 running on a mix of High and Ultra settings. Crysis 1 with mods looks better than vanilla BF3 but Crysis 2? I don't think so.

screamingdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 screamingdoom

[QUOTE="screamingdoom"][QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

vashkey

The multiplayer for most shooters aren't linear...

What I mean is that it's open, expansive and with a large amount going on like Crysis, so it's not a bad comparison
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] Modded GTA IV only, vanilla can't touch those games.:P

BrunoBRS

I agree with him. Modded GTA is incredibly awesome. It's amazing what a lighting change can do for the game's textures.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

I agree with him. Modded GTA is incredibly awesome. It's amazing what a lighting change can do for the game's textures.

Those buildings are terrible. First thing I noticed was how badly they stood out

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

I was wondering,why isn't modded Doom 3 one of the contenders?

Doom 3 with Sikkmod and rygel's texture pack looks amazing.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

call_of_duty_10

dunno, but it looks amazing

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 mitu123

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

HaloinventedFPS

dunno, but it looks amazing

I guess not many people know about it here.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i'm confused, are you agreeing with him or not? :P

ChubbyGuy40

Those buildings are terrible. First thing I noticed was how badly they stood out

honestly, if that's the best modded GTA can pull, i'm vastly underwhelmed. i swear i thought they were joke pics of vanilla GTA 4 to show how weak a competitor it was.
GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

The_Game21x

Definitely disagree there. I run Crysis 2 maxed on my PC with the blackfire mod installed and it does not look as good as BF3 running on a mix of High and Ultra settings. Crysis 1 with mods looks better than vanilla BF3 but Crysis 2? I don't think so.

you either installed your mods wrong or you need buy a new set of glasses. crysis2 DX11 with or without mods is simply the best graphic on PC to the date. go see this thread page 17, now show me anything form any game can touch this lvl of texture and detail (screen credit to pcps360)

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28911574/game-with-the-best-graphic-on-pc-vanilla-and-moded-a-serious-thread-

This thread offically ended