PSM gives Warhawk a 6.5 and Lair a 5.0!!!!!! WTF??????????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

omarguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 omarguy01
Member since 2004 • 8139 Posts

i always knew lair would flop... since way back but warhawk looks like it deserved better... at least it seems that way to me :/

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Hey Dreams do you have a review or any thoughts you could tell me about the game? I have seen you around a lot and though you lean towards 360, you seem very honest with your thoughts on games.rockydog1111

I thought the graphics and sound were excellent. second to none, really. I thought the gameplay left quite a bit to be desired. I think that if you find a clan of people who plan on having fun with the game, you'll have fun with it as well. I didn't find dogfighting did not feel overly rewarding, and I felt like there were some balancing issues (which may or may not have been corrected to my liking in the final version) as well as fun issues (hard to describe...but some things were just not fun). Overall, I think that if the game had focused on aerial combat and done it right (maybe 15 planes...all with varying attributes...the Warhawk plane being the most balanced of all), ti would have been a champ. As it stands, it's a good game. Just not a great one. I'd give it a 7.0 or a 7.5.

I'd highly recommend renting it to see if you really enjoy it. If you do, it's a keeper, for you. Remember, in the end, it's only your opinion that matters. If you love it, the score others give it are inconsequential.

We'll see soon. Oh, and I don't really lean; I just know when a game isn't as good as it's being hyped to be. With the pleasure of being in the beta, I played enough and saw enough to have a more objective opinion than many, I think.

Zandeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 Zandeus
Member since 2006 • 3124 Posts
[QUOTE="Thanatos1337"]

You also have to keep in mind, because psm is associated with sony, they are probably overating these games.

Just keep waiting, just keep waiting, just keep waiting.

ragrdoll21

PSM is NOT associated with Sony in any way, shape or form.....talking out of your butt FTL!:(

LOL, silly cow.... PSM (PLAYSTATION MAGAZINE) is not affiliated in anyway with Sony..... LOL sure buddy. you were most likely one of the Cows hyping LAIR AAA, right?? Ahh.... I guess we know who knows more about what makes a good game now, don't we.... thats right its me.... I said from DAY 1 that LAIR looked like crap.... but it's alright, you just gotta WAIT a little longer for some quality exclusive games for your WAITSTATION! LOL!

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

[QUOTE=""]God i hate M$.3picuri3

ad hominem fallacy.

don't even go there. that's like saying EA's future PS3 games will suck because Peter Moore is an Exec there. Conspiracy theories = fail. Ad hominem fallacies - fail. :|

Go easy on him, no big words.

lol sorry. hope he reads through that link, though. :P

i dunno man, you can't hide behind ad hominem, and to be honest you use it in a very ironic manner sometimes. that's all i'll say, i don't want to get in to an argument about it (as i support you) but you are really using it in a stretch here.

ad hominem is best applied when you're IN an argument and someone starts attacking your person instead of the matter at hand. in this instance there is a real world connection between the reviewer and a former competing employer - bringing that up isn't ad hominem unless you consider his review to be an argument, and the valid point that he was a former xbox affiliate employee to be a personal attack and not a valid critique or concern. IF they had said that the reviewer was 'smelly, and sucked at writing, and was a big big doodoo head' then we'd have a case of ad hominem. hope i made things a bit clearer.

anyways, my main point -- which i think i've proven.. is that it's a stretch to try to call ad hominem on this. and my last point is that you really shouldn't abuse terms like ad hominem in a blanket sense like you sometimes do :)

the argument is invalidated because this gentlemen is no longer employed by a competitor's affiliate. let's be realistic, here. we're talking about grown adults now...not fanboys. This guys livliehood (family, food on table, gas in car, etc.) is being supported by PSM; not anything Microsoft-related. As such, it's not in his interest to write unjustly harsh articles on PS3 games or show some kind of bias. It's not only unprofessional, but it's career suicide. Grown folks just don't do that. They write about the games.

Again, it'd be like saying Alex Rodriguez is throwing games to help the Rangers and Mariners because he doesn't a home run against them in a game. I'd be like saying Jordan scored less when he was a Wizard playing against the Bulls just because he happens to score less that game. That's just not how it works. Taking that course of argument otherwise is to suggest a ad fallacy because it's attacking the person because of who the person might be, not the review itself.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Wow....now do you realize why PS3 owners are always hyping 2008? Man its been a rough year. Hopefully Heavenly Sword will do well otherwise I will have no doubt made the best decision of selling my PS3 earlier this year in plans to rebuy it later and cheaper when better games come out.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

the argument is invalidated because this gentlemen is no longer employed by a competitor's affiliate. let's be realistic, here. we're talking about grown adults now...not fanboys. This guys livliehood (family, food on table, gas in car, etc.) by PSM, not anything Microsoft-related. As such, it's not in his interest to write unjustly harsh articles on PS3 games or show some kind of bias. It's not only unprofessional, but it's career suicide. Grown folks just don't do that.

Again, it'd be like saying Alex Rodriguez is throwing games to help the Rangers and Mariners. I'd be like saying Jordan scored less when he was a Wizard playing against the Bulls. That's just not how it works. Suggesting otherwise is to suggest a fallacy based on the person, not the situation itself.

Dreams-Visions

my point again is that you're misusing ad hominem, not that your general argument was faulty. it's ok though, you don't have to admit it - doesn't make me feel any cooler if you do or don't :) I'm totally in agreement, and Rob Smith is a great guy - was always impartial when he headed PC Gamer ---> this just clearly isn't a case of ad hominem.

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#157 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

[QUOTE="rockydog1111"]Hey Dreams do you have a review or any thoughts you could tell me about the game? I have seen you around a lot and though you lean towards 360, you seem very honest with your thoughts on games.Dreams-Visions

I thought the graphics and sound were excellent. second to none, really. I thought the gameplay left quite a bit to be desired. I think that if you find a clan of people who plan on having fun with the game, you'll have fun with it as well. I didn't find dogfighting did not feel overly rewarding, and I felt like there were some balancing issues (which may or may not have been corrected to my liking in the final version) as well as fun issues (hard to describe...but some things were just not fun). Overall, I think that if the game had focused on aerial combat and done it right (maybe 15 planes...all with varying attributes...the Warhawk plane being the most balanced of all), ti would have been a champ. As it stands, it's a good game. Just not a great one. I'd give it a 7.0 or a 7.5.

I'd highly recommend renting it to see if you really enjoy it. If you do, it's a keeper, for you. Remember, in the end, it's only your opinion that matters. If you love it, the score others give it are inconsequential.

We'll see soon. Oh, and I don't really lean; I just know when a game isn't as good as it's being hyped to be. With the pleasure of being in the beta, I played enough and saw enough to have a more objective opinion than many, I think.

Very respectable review man. I do plan on renting it before buying it. Thanks for the honest views.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

So good reviews from playstation sources= not credible but bad ones = flop?

Lets wait for GS

da1on2

This should be common sense.. PSM is bias in the fact they will like PS3 games alittle more then some one who is on even footing and reviews all games.. Not to say reviews from there arn't crediable but they tend to rate higher then a source that doesn't catter to a certain system.. Now we should look at these peoples reviews if they are bad because they tend to rate their system games higher then other unbias websites.. Which says alot of the two got poor scores, meaning its very likely other reviewers will rate them even worse.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

the argument is invalidated because this gentlemen is no longer employed by a competitor's affiliate. let's be realistic, here. we're talking about grown adults now...not fanboys. This guys livliehood (family, food on table, gas in car, etc.) by PSM, not anything Microsoft-related. As such, it's not in his interest to write unjustly harsh articles on PS3 games or show some kind of bias. It's not only unprofessional, but it's career suicide. Grown folks just don't do that.

Again, it'd be like saying Alex Rodriguez is throwing games to help the Rangers and Mariners. I'd be like saying Jordan scored less when he was a Wizard playing against the Bulls. That's just not how it works. Suggesting otherwise is to suggest a fallacy based on the person, not the situation itself.

3picuri3

my point again is that you're misusing ad hominem, not that your general argument was faulty. it's ok though, you don't have to admit it - doesn't make me feel any cooler if you do or don't :) I'm totally in agreement, and Rob Smith is a great guy - was always impartial when he headed PC Gamer ---> this just clearly isn't a case of ad hominem.

otay :)

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#160 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

OXM does the same thing for sucktastic Xbox games...

You can't put a pretty bow on a turd and make it anything more than a pretty turd.

omarguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 omarguy01
Member since 2004 • 8139 Posts
were they the ones that gave killzone a 10?
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts
Lair looks like a suped up Xbox game with tacked on motion sensing and repetitive gameplay, while Warhawk went from a full title to a PSN title - what did you guys expect?
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#163 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
Surprise, surprise...Oh well guess PS3's savior is Killzone 2:lol:
furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts

PSM doesn't gloss things over, they normally tell it like it is. Thing is, if they give a good review most lems will dismiss it because it came from PSM. All of a sudden only the bad reviews count. ragrdoll21

very true

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#165 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
Warhawk doesn't surprise me 1 bit. By taking out the enitre single player, they've only got half a game.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#166 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

[QUOTE="ragrdoll21"]PSM doesn't gloss things over, they normally tell it like it is. Thing is, if they give a good review most lems will dismiss it because it came from PSM. All of a sudden only the bad reviews count. furtherfan

very true

Of course bad reviews from a magazine like PSM count. Same would apply with OXM. I don't care for OXM, personally. And as far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to subscribe to that magazine with everything important on XBL anyways (concerning the demo disc). If a magazine like that gives a bad review to games like Lair and Warhawk, which are highly anticipated titles, it doesn't bode well for said titles. Especially when the review scores are this harsh.
Sooshy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#167 Sooshy
Member since 2007 • 1723 Posts
Warhawk doesn't surprise me 1 bit. By taking out the enitre single player, they've only got half a game.BuryMe
I don't know, man. Isn't hasn't the Unreal Tournament games always been multiplayer only?
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]Warhawk doesn't surprise me 1 bit. By taking out the enitre single player, they've only got half a game.Sooshy
I don't know, man. Isn't hasn't the Unreal Tournament games always been multiplayer only?

Not exactly. I don't know if Warhawk even has a series of botmatches to call a "single player". It may just be purly online. I do not know. Anyone want to confirm/deny this?
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

God i hate M$.

And he used to be the Editor-in-Chief for PC Gamer before that. It's a big company with lots of publications, and they pretty much write to fuel their current fanboys (PCG blasted halo more than once during his tenure, if I recall correctly).

Your point?

Avatar image for ProductNumber49
ProductNumber49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#170 ProductNumber49
Member since 2006 • 3840 Posts

THIS IS MADNESS!!!!

kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
[QUOTE="Sooshy"][QUOTE="BuryMe"]Warhawk doesn't surprise me 1 bit. By taking out the enitre single player, they've only got half a game.musicalmac

Not exactly. I don't know if Warhawk even has a series of botmatches to call a "single player". It may just be purly online. I do not know. Anyone want to confirm/deny this?

Unreal 2: The Landri Conflict had a little more than just bot matches in the single player.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Sooshy"][QUOTE="BuryMe"]Warhawk doesn't surprise me 1 bit. By taking out the enitre single player, they've only got half a game.kodex1717

Unreal 2: The Landri Conflict had a little more than just bot matches in the single player.

I wouldn't know. I never played it. I've only played UT99/03/04 on my computer.
whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#174 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts
Warhawk is going to be a fun as hell multiplayer game and amust buy for me no matter what the score it gets, Whether it be here to IGN. Lair I was never excited about really to begin with.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]Warhawk doesn't surprise me 1 bit. By taking out the enitre single player, they've only got half a game.Sooshy

very few multiplayer-only games swim. UT is one of the very very rare exceptions. Comapre Warhawk with Chromehounds or Shadowrun. Not the elite multiplayer games. Elite, Warhawk is not.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="ragrdoll21"]PSM doesn't gloss things over, they normally tell it like it is. Thing is, if they give a good review most lems will dismiss it because it came from PSM. All of a sudden only the bad reviews count. furtherfan

very true

we also see in this thread Cows dismissing PSM because of this review, when they had considered it valid up until now. Swings both ways in here today. fanboyism and damage control in full effect.

OldParr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 OldParr
Member since 2006 • 2996 Posts
wait was there a AAA hype for warhawk??? cause the only thread i saw was this guy saying that it was going to be the best MP of the year and thats it
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Dreams-Visions
wait was there a AAA hype for warhawk??? cause the only thread i saw was this guy saying that it was going to be the best MP of the year and thats itOldParr
No, there was not. AA hype all the way.
whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#179 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts
[QUOTE="furtherfan"]

[QUOTE="ragrdoll21"]PSM doesn't gloss things over, they normally tell it like it is. Thing is, if they give a good review most lems will dismiss it because it came from PSM. All of a sudden only the bad reviews count. Dreams-Visions

very true

we also see in this thread Cows dismissing PSM because of this review, when they had considered it valid up until now. Swings both ways in here today. fanboyism and damage control in full effect.

I thought PSM was not doing magazines anymore? Either way I never said PSM was a reliable source nor do I really give a damn about game reviews.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="furtherfan"]

[QUOTE="ragrdoll21"]PSM doesn't gloss things over, they normally tell it like it is. Thing is, if they give a good review most lems will dismiss it because it came from PSM. All of a sudden only the bad reviews count. whitetiger3521

very true

I thought PSM was not doing magazines anymore? Either way I never said PSM was a reliable source nor do I really give a damn about game reviews.

If you don't fit the description, then I guess nobody was talking to you. ;)

ByFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 ByFly
Member since 2006 • 1917 Posts

If these games getbelow 8 here in gamespot I think its safe to call it a major flop..

If these games get below 7 I think the word for it will be Disaster FLoppage on the cows side...

CB4McGusto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 CB4McGusto
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

Damn 10 pages already, I sure do know how to make a thread don't I? ;)

walkerctranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#183 walkerctranger
Member since 2006 • 1477 Posts
Factor 5 really shouldn't have left Nintendo. It'll be the death of them =[.Shazenab
its seems to be the death of alot of companies, the worst being rare.
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts

[QUOTE="Shazenab"]Factor 5 really shouldn't have left Nintendo. It'll be the death of them =[.walkerctranger
its seems to be the death of alot of companies, the worst being rare.

Its Nintendo's master plan. They "fired" Peter moore to bring down Sega and microsoft and money hat their ex-developers to destroy other home consoles and come crawling back on the DS.

elite_ferns1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 elite_ferns1
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts
it gave prince of persia: warrior within a 9.6 so they are pretty trustworthy.
Avatar image for paranoiasurviva
paranoiasurviva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#186 paranoiasurviva
Member since 2004 • 13621 Posts
So much for AAA exclusives.....
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
5/10 on PSM....wow this game must really suck. The delayed never help to save this game huh.
beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts
cows have been hyping those two games to get AA/AAA for so long and it looks like its gunna be a flop gunna be a dark day on here when they come out
furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 furtherfan
[QUOTE="furtherfan"]

[QUOTE="ragrdoll21"]PSM doesn't gloss things over, they normally tell it like it is. Thing is, if they give a good review most lems will dismiss it because it came from PSM. All of a sudden only the bad reviews count. Dreams-Visions

very true

yep

furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 furtherfan

on topic:

these scores are trouble for Sony

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#191 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="furtherfan"]

[QUOTE="ragrdoll21"]PSM doesn't gloss things over, they normally tell it like it is. Thing is, if they give a good review most lems will dismiss it because it came from PSM. All of a sudden only the bad reviews count. whitetiger3521

very true

OPM got axed, not PSM. OPM was the "Official" Playstation Magazine.

GarchomPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 GarchomPro
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
wow.. not good news, well its not officialy flopped yet. gota wait for GS
ELJUDEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 ELJUDEZ
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
honesty FTW!
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
This all but assures that if you are going to be a Nintendo 2nd Party you might as well sign a life time contract. Because when you leave so does your gaming making ability.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Dreams-Visions

This all but assures that if you are going to be a Nintendo 2nd Party you might as well sign a life time contract. Because when you leave so does your gaming making ability.Blackbond
lol ouch. but the Rogue Squadron sequel was not good either, from what I heard.

Factor 5 should have stuck to their Star Wars license and went from there.

DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts
I bet one of the ongoing issues (in Lair) would be repetitive gameplay; since most of the videos I've seen didn't show much variety. I thought they were just keeping other mechanisms a secret but I guess not. Damn and I really wanted Lair to do well; at this rate i'm definitely not purchasing it at full price.
glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#197 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts
Hm, that doesn't look good for those games. If a magazine that's inclined to give the games good scores gives them bad scores, I wonder what's gonna happen on GS.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Dreams-Visions

I bet one of the ongoing issues (in Lair) would be repetitive gameplay; since most of the videos I've seen didn't show much variety. I thought they were just keeping other mechanisms a secret but I guess not. Damn and I really wanted Lair to do well; at this rate i'm definitely not purchasing it at full price.DementedDragon

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=19961

yep.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#199 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts
Something terribly wrong is going on right now , My theory is that Microsoft is bribing magazines to give low scores to Ps exclusives or perhaps this was an ill tasted joke ?
winner1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 winner1001
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts
recently all the good psm staff left, and were replaced by staff from the xbox magazine. But psm has never been a good source for reviews... they gave KIllzone 1 a 9.5/10!