PS4K information (~2x GPU power plus clock increase, new CPU, price, etc)

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#152 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Randoggy said:
@clyde46 said:
@Randoggy said:
@clyde46 said:
@Randoggy said:

Do you people not have Kijiji or Craigslist where you live? Sell your Ps4 there if need be. People are always looking for consoles.

What do you think the sudden flood of used PS4 machines is going to do to the pricing?

Time will tell. I find it kind of silly people expect Sony to offer some sort of trade in program.

Law of economics, you flood the market, the value of said item falls through the floor. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. Just look at what the Chinese are doing to the global steel markets.

That's a real shame bud.

I'm not complaining, I keep my consoles plus I have money to burn.

georgia_bulll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 georgia_bulll
Member since 2010 • 296 Posts

@2Chalupas said:
@georgia_bulll said:

Trying to get some info on this whole PS4k deal. Honestly, I don't think it's such a bad idea as long as games are transferable between units. This seems like the next step in keeping up with tech and similar to how PC is set up now.

The 2x more power sounds like a win to me. Everything should be maxed out at 1080p with 60fps with that jump.

Seems a lot of people are up set, I can't seem to understand why tho lol.

I don't get why people are upset about this either. Everyone knows there is a going to be a mid-cycle refresh for a slim model. This time, the mid-cycle refresh might include a hardware boost. So what? A hardware boost isn't a negative, the only negatives could be be with how they treat the userbase (i.e. do they attempt to 'split' the user-base or make PS4K exclusives, as I would view that as a problem).

I do believe it's stupid if they are going for a $499 price point, unless they are changing the model lineup and offering MULTIPLE price points on multiple different models (i.e. selling a PS4 for $299 and PS4K for $499). But jacking up the price and having a price gap that large would seem to really split the userbase. That implies the the two machines are worlds apart. Those are valid concerns. However if they are going for 2x power, and can keep the $349/399 price, and all games remain compatible with the original PS4 (i.e. no PS4K exclusives).... what is the problem exactly?

I know I"m interested in trading for a quieter/slimmer model... if it has more performance I view that as a bonus.

Speaking of price it really depends. I don't think they intend this to sell like a true console launch but probably more like a slow burn transition. With that in mind I could see a $499 entry price especially since it isn't required that you trade up to play any of the games on the systems, only the enthusiast will jump for the more expensive models just like PC gamers and over time more people will switch up.

With all the negative ideas flying around it's funny people don't see the potential upside to this. imagine all future PS consoles being 100% BC compatible with the last models. And one of the biggest grips I've seen for PC gamers about consoles is that they hold PC gaming back, well rejoice PC fans, PS4k will unlock the chain that has been holding developers back from creating games that push the higher power that their super charged PCs have yet to utilize.

A PC fan displaying displeasure or objection to this move by Sony is a contradiction all the arguments i've seen about consoles holding PC back all these years. Really confusing and conflicting arguments truth be told.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

@clyde46 said:
@Randoggy said:
@clyde46 said:
@Randoggy said:
@clyde46 said:

What do you think the sudden flood of used PS4 machines is going to do to the pricing?

Time will tell. I find it kind of silly people expect Sony to offer some sort of trade in program.

Law of economics, you flood the market, the value of said item falls through the floor. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. Just look at what the Chinese are doing to the global steel markets.

That's a real shame bud.

I'm not complaining, I keep my consoles plus I have money to burn.

It's all good lol, I'm the same here. I wish I kept on to more when I was younger but I could always buy them again.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#155 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I love it, people saying early adopters are being fucked over, anyone with an xbox one is also being fucked over if you go by that logic.

And if they are doubling the power of the gpu, they are obviously going to use it in all games, also nothing stopping devs patching existing ps4 games to have higher settings.
I'm not sure if Sony is putting these rumours out to just to **** over Nintendo.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@howmakewood said:
@emgesp said:

If true I guess this confirms that PS4.5 won't be using AMD's new Polaris architecture. It would have bigger gains if they used Polaris.

dno, can they dig more than double the power out of old AMD chips w/o going up on power consumption/heat?

Well AMD's Tonga at 28nm has 1.5x better performance to watt compared to the PS4's GPU at the same TDP. Fury Nano's Fiji architecture is even more efficient.

Credit goes to RonValencia for this information.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

@DJ_Headshot said:

So the new PS4 will be around 7950 level of power now considering what they have able to do with the current ps4 power I'm sure it will be pretty damn good and all for only $400-500 but the only true 4K gaming machine for modern high end games will be the PC it will come at a higher cost but it can be done if you have the money and want to.

Until PS5, which will most likely be capable of rendering games at native 4K / 2160p, even though some (many) devs will choose to render some of their games at resolutions ranging from native 1080p to something short of 4K. It'll be a mixed bag, just like Xbox 360 / PS3, and to a lesser extent, current gen.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

@Zero_epyon: ok time for my stupid question for today.

is there a difference between blu-ray and blu-ray 4k in terms of the hardware used? or is it just content on a higher capacity disc with a more advanced codec?

in terms of processing power the PS4 is well able for 4K video and the drive, im sure, can read very high capacity blu-ray discs. so it would just need the codec...unless there is something missing hardware wise in the blu-ray drive.

as for the upgrade...2X is not that much really. i wouldnt upgrade my graphics card to one just 2X as powerful for example..waste of money. i would be looking for something 6X-10X as powerful. if i had a PS4 i would also not be inclined to update (i also didnt swap my 3ds for a N3ds). 2X would really just knock out the rough edges on games that had rough edges in the performance department (though the rumor says old games wont use the extra grunt which makes sense). the wii was 2X as powerful as the GC for example. sure there were improvements but it wasnt a massive difference.

georgia_bulll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By georgia_bulll

@2_Quiet_2_Riot said:
@georgia_bulll said:

Trying to get some info on this whole PS4k deal. Honestly, I don't think it's such a bad idea as long as games are transferable between units. This seems like the next step in keeping up with tech and similar to how PC is set up now.

The 2x more power sounds like a win to me. Everything should be maxed out at 1080p with 60fps with that jump.

Early PS4 adopters or any PS4 old model users now, will be eventually "split" when more games are created around the PS4K Hardware. According to that article, if it were true, PS4K designed games will have a significant performance hit when played on the older PS4 systems. Nothing earth shattering, and still playable, but with a performance hit. And what does that tell older PS4 owners of that older model?

The only advantage PS4K would have is playing older PS4 games, "smoothly". However, it's not exactly hunky dory the other way around.

What you are saying is only really common sense though. More powerful hardware plays more advanced and better looking games. According to the article, PS4.5 won't be powerful enough to play games that PS4 couldn't handle at all. at most I expect 900p at 30fps on PS4 for the taxing PS4.5 conversions.

Honestly, look at all the advanced PC games that run maxed and ultra setting and then look at the console versions. I would say one could see an advantage but It's not a day and night difference even on hardware that's currently 3x to 4x more power than PS4's/x1s.

Let's do a test to see if I'm off on this or not. Name me the best looking PC game that's a multiplatform game with PS4 and xbox one. Let's test this out!

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By emgesp

@georgia_bulll said:
@2_Quiet_2_Riot said:
@georgia_bulll said:

Early PS4 adopters or any PS4 old model users now, will be eventually "split" when more games are created around the PS4K Hardware. According to that article, if it were true, PS4K designed games will have a significant performance hit when played on the older PS4 systems. Nothing earth shattering, and still playable, but with a performance hit. And what does that tell older PS4 owners of that older model?

The only advantage PS4K would have is playing older PS4 games, "smoothly". However, it's not exactly hunky dory the other way around.

What you are saying is only really common sense though. More powerful hardware plays more advanced and better looking games. According to the article, PS4.5 won't be powerful enough to play games that PS4 couldn't handle at all. at most I expect 900p at 30fps on PS4 for the taxing PS4.5 conversions.

Honestly, look at all the advanced PC games that run maxed and ultra setting and then look at the console versions. I would say one could see an advantage but It's not a day and night difference even on hardware that's currently 3x to 4x PS4's/x1s power.

Let's do a test to see if I'm off on this or not. Name me the best looking PC game that's a multiplatform game with PS4 and xbox one. Let's test this out!

Exactly, 2x performance is not such an improvement that devs would have trouble optimizing for the weaker PS4. They would simply cut back on visual effects like Global Illumination, shadow quality, particle effects, depth of field, etc.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@scrollinglayers said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202462

Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Also there was talk of some sort of VR lounge for the media player app which is supposed to be getting a substantial upgrade.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."

We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

For the PSVR

Eve Valkyrie

Robinson

GT Sport

For the PS4K

Deep Down (Thought this was dead)

GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4)

There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information.

If this actually happens, count me in for a new PS4K.

36 CU ...

http://techfrag.com/2016/03/25/amd-polaris-10-gpu-specs-leaked/

Polaris 10 has 36 CU which is 2X over PS4 in terms of CU count.

Still, with its low clock speed and lower number of GCN cores, this particular Polaris 10 GPU did come ahead of the R9 290X which indicates better per clock performance than predecessors. Moreover, the GPU beat Nvidia GTX Titan Black in the benchmark, although the latter features a full GK110 chip.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#162 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

They are shooting themselves in the foot.

georgia_bulll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By georgia_bulll

@emgesp said:
@georgia_bulll said:

Honestly, look at all the advanced PC games that run maxed and ultra setting and then look at the console versions. I would say one could see an advantage but It's not a day and night difference even on hardware that's currently 3x to 4x PS4's/x1s power.

Exactly, 2x performance is not such an improvement that devs would have trouble optimizing for the weaker PS4.

haha thanks, I'll just leave this here.

Loading Video...

That's MAX setting on PC vs the ever so out powered PS4.

The comments by 95% of the posters in this thread are comical. THE SEPERATION lol Some people are out of touch with reality 2x power isn't going to alienate anyone, calm down guys.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Implies there will be native 4k games...lol fake

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Where does it implies that?

@AM-Gamer said:

So help me out herms. 2X the Gpu power what would be the current AMD or Nvidia equivalent?

Little higher than the R9 380 but under the R9380X.

Enough to handle Star Wars battlefront 3 at 1080p Ultra at 60FPS.

I still don't believe this.

@NFJSupreme said:

Exactly what I said. Upgraded GCN hardware and looks like 7950ish (380ish)under the hood. So ps60fps (it's not a real 4k box) will be as powerful as my computerms from 2012. Which is what it should have been launched with to begin with. Anyway this will be a day one purchase

A 7950 on 2012 was more than $300 dude alone.

First TPD was an issue,second losses was another in 2012 the 7970 and 7950 were close to top of the line and the 7950 over mid range dude,there is no way with the losses sony had on the PS3 that they would even go there,hell MS went even cheaper and was in no financial problems.

@GoldenElementXL said:

Exactly. Right now we are looking at a GTX 970 tflop wise and a second gen iPad mini CPU. That makes perfect sense. They are better off raising the price $100 and upgrading the CPU too like they are debating doing. Or we will see a PS4.75 in 2017.

Yep there is no way that Jaguar will cut it for that 380 like GPU.

What i wonder is what will they use.AMD CPU are considerable less expensive than Intel,but i don't see how sony can pull this choosing anything less than a FX 8XXX CPU and TDP on those is considerable higher than the PS4 CPU wayyyyyyyy higher.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@tormentos said:
@MonsieurX said:

The "games that are not natively 4k"

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Hmmmmm... This is going to be interesting. That's for sure.

I just hope MS follows suit. Preferably before this so called PS4k.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#167 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

OK guys, honestly, all SW BS aside, anyone who buys into this is an idiot. The PS4 and Xbox One, have both had incredibly poor first party exclusive support, PS4 especially. Sony and Microsoft have both let 3rd parties carry them, and have offered their player bases NOTHING worthwhile, that they couldn't get anywhere else. They've invested nothing into giving us good exclusive games, and yet now, they want us to invest another $400-500 into updated versions of these game-less systems?

Sorry guys, but no one should be supporting this. People keep talking about what is going to cause the industry to crash, blaming mobile, DLC/season passes, digital only, always online, ect.. but no, been expected to pay $400-500 every three years for an updated system, that is what kills the industry, and don't go thinking "no this'll be a one time only thing", because if this sells well, you can be damn sure before the gen is out, we'll see a 3rd and maybe even 4th version, are you really OK with the possibility of been expected to spend almost $2000 to keep your PS4 up to date, when you could spend half that on a single PC that'll outlive it?

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

Really surprising, but sounds good. Though this was what the PS4/X1 should have been in the first place, at least the GPU power. And will the GDDR5 get a bandwidth upgrade with the new GPU? It should. Let's hope the CPU at least gets a good upclocking, 2.2GHZ maybe? They shouldn't sell the console for more than 399 since it's just a mid gen upgrade.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@howmakewood said:

I like how this is going to support the PSVR, remember Sony proudly saying there's already over 38million PSVR ready devices on customers?

LMAO So true

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@emgesp said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

@emgesp: I still don't agree with it. A console shouldn't be upgraded 3 years after its release.

Why shouldn't it? Why should PC and the Mobile ecosystems see improvements faster, but not consoles?

At the end of the day the original PS4 is still gonna be supported, so the PS4.5 isn't really replacing it.

Console market =/= PC market strike one.

Strike 2 is that the experience on the ps4.5 will be better and it's only been ~2.5 years

The fact that the upgrade is tangible aka you can visually see it, is the problem. Unless a trade-in occurs, a person who bought the PS4 is going to feel conned thinking it would last em 6-10 years or so like the previous iterations did. Consoles should improve, but this isn't the mobile or PC market. Consoles are seen as a long term investment, but the new PS4K and Nintendo NX (rumor says more powerful than PS4) specs state otherwise. Many gamers pick consoles over PC precisely to avoid the headaches and costs with upgrading. Not to buy a new console every 2.5 years.

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#171 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

@scrollinglayers: I honestly just do not see this happening. IT IS POSSIBLE!

Like PC games that run on HIGH END GPU cards, compared to the MINIMUM GPU cards. The GAME is the same just the settings change form LOW to HIGH!

So IF Graphics are important to you then this would be a great deal. If not then sticking to the PS4 will be fine. The games will be the same only the graphics will be different.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By emgesp

@notorious1234na said:
@emgesp said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

@emgesp: I still don't agree with it. A console shouldn't be upgraded 3 years after its release.

Why shouldn't it? Why should PC and the Mobile ecosystems see improvements faster, but not consoles?

At the end of the day the original PS4 is still gonna be supported, so the PS4.5 isn't really replacing it.

Strike 2 is that the experience on the ps4.5 will be better and it's only been ~2.5 years

The fact that the upgrade is tangible aka you can visually see it, is the problem. Unless a trade-in occurs, a person who bought the PS4 is going to feel conned thinking it would last em 6-10 years or so like the previous iterations did. Consoles should improve, but this isn't the mobile or PC market. Consoles are seen as a long term investment, but the new PS4K and Nintendo NX (rumor says more powerful than PS4) specs state otherwise. Many gamers pick consoles over PC precisely to avoid the headaches and costs with upgrading. Not to buy a new console every 2.5 years.

When the PS4.5 is actually released it will indeed be three years since the PS4 was released.

A trade-in program doesn't even need to happen. You could just easily sell your current PS4 on Craigslist/Ebay to help pay for the PS4K. My White Destiny PS4 bundle will easily sell for $250 - $300 on the used market especially given its complete with box.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#173 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@04dcarraher said:
@Chozofication said:

Why wouldn't they increase the memory?

When you change the memory bus the amount of memory ratio is changed as well. If they were to use 384bit bus instead of 256bit they would have to go with 3/6/9/12gb type of ratio. Increasing bus width also increases production costs because of higher complexity of the channels on pcb and material needed. And going with even higher bus width would increase costs eve more. Now if they were to use HBM 2.0 costs would be even higher.

Yeah...? They're not going to gimp this new hardware with keeping the memory amount and speed the same.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@howmakewood said:

who said anything about changing the architecture? I'm not suggesting getting ARM or anything

X86 is not a 1:1 thing. It is on PC, but the Ps4 isn't a PC, it's got its own api and the games are all coded for its specific hardware. That's like saying the Wii's cpu is the same as the 360's Xenon or the cell because they're all power PC.

Games on the ps4 are coded and optimized for the jaguar architecture, switching it would **** up the old games.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

@osan0: The problem isn't the processing power, but it's missing some hardware to decode the new HDCP 2.2 (High bandwidth digital content protection), which is only on HDMI 2.0. The PS4 has the older 1.4, and this cannot be upgraded through software. The HDMI 2.0 also supports faster transfer speeds which is needed for 4K Bluray, with the wider color output, HDR, and high bitrate audio. The BD drive could very well be ready to support 3-4 layered BD discs though, but since the PS4 is missing the other stuff, it doesn't matter.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

@georgia_bulll said:
@2_Quiet_2_Riot said:
@georgia_bulll said:

Honestly, look at all the advanced PC games that run maxed and ultra setting and then look at the console versions. I would say one could see an advantage but It's not a day and night difference even on hardware that's currently 3x to 4x more power than PS4's/x1s.

I agree with you about multi-platform games.

The only game (which is a PC-exclusive) that looks like night and day compared to any console game is Star Citizen. Here is a really old trailer that impresses the heck out of me. This video goes all the way upto 4K/2160p, 60fps.

Loading Video...

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#177 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

I feel ripped off if this is true. I bought a PS4 on launch day with the expectations of it being the only version of the console, minus a slim version, for the next 7-10 years per usual. When I bought it, Sony didn't say, we are releasing an even better console in 3 years which will play games better than what you just gave us $400 for. This isn't a normal thing in the console market, and it isn't something I was expecting. I'm personally hoping this is all a hoax.

Sony needs to think about the almost 40 million existing PS4 owners and how they could or will react to this. Sure there are die hards that'll swallow this load, but a lot of casuals could get really upset. My buddy just bought a PS4 2 months ago and he is livid at the idea that he will be getting inferior versions of games in the same ecosystem and I'm right there beside him.

When Nvidia announces gpu's, they release a roadmap and are upfront with their plans. I can go off of that to decide which upgrade will be best for me. What Sony is doing is shady in my eyes and I will never be an early adopter of another one of their consoles and may just say screw the Playstation brand in general. I hope early adopters stand up to this and don't just swallow what Sony is dumping into their mouths.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#178 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Have fun with that $400-$500 incremental console upgrade. Considering that almost two and a half years in there is still barely anything to write home about the PS4 other than Bloodborne, I'm not going to bother buying the system again.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#179  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20130 Posts

@osan0 said:

@Zero_epyon: ok time for my stupid question for today.

is there a difference between blu-ray and blu-ray 4k in terms of the hardware used? or is it just content on a higher capacity disc with a more advanced codec?

in terms of processing power the PS4 is well able for 4K video and the drive, im sure, can read very high capacity blu-ray discs. so it would just need the codec...unless there is something missing hardware wise in the blu-ray drive.

as for the upgrade...2X is not that much really. i wouldnt upgrade my graphics card to one just 2X as powerful for example..waste of money. i would be looking for something 6X-10X as powerful. if i had a PS4 i would also not be inclined to update (i also didnt swap my 3ds for a N3ds). 2X would really just knock out the rough edges on games that had rough edges in the performance department (though the rumor says old games wont use the extra grunt which makes sense). the wii was 2X as powerful as the GC for example. sure there were improvements but it wasnt a massive difference.

It's a different disc, most likely because of the capacity. I'm not sure about the codecs. The hardware on the PS4 just can't output 4K, which is why Sony said they'd release a revision at some point hat was capable of doing so.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@emgesp: by the time the new PS4 comes around you aren't going to get nearly enough to make it justifiable.

Why would someone buy a $250 PS4 when for $150 more they can get a much better experience. Not to mention my used PS4 will have to be cheaper than the new price of the old PS4 which will get a price cut for sure.

But that's all besides the point. Like he said a console is an investment. There has never been a complete upgrade like this so soon....save for Sega and look at them now. Sony nor MS should be able to change the game on which console generations last after 30 years of being one way.

At least won't with any warning. You do a lot more with a phone....some ppl need to upgrade every time. PC technology moves fast. But that's what makes consoles different.

Why wouldn't I just game on PC if I'm going to upgrade every 3 years?

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

What would be more cool as well is if the PS4.5 supported freesync and they made HDTVs that supported it. Please do that Sony.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By ronvalencia

@tormentos said:
@MonsieurX said:

@AM-Gamer said:

So help me out herms. 2X the Gpu power what would be the current AMD or Nvidia equivalent?

Little higher than the R9 380 but under the R9380X.

Enough to handle Star Wars battlefront 3 at 1080p Ultra at 60FPS.

I still don't believe this.

@NFJSupreme said:

Exactly what I said. Upgraded GCN hardware and looks like 7950ish (380ish)under the hood. So ps60fps (it's not a real 4k box) will be as powerful as my computerms from 2012. Which is what it should have been launched with to begin with. Anyway this will be a day one purchase

A 7950 on 2012 was more than $300 dude alone.

First TPD was an issue,second losses was another in 2012 the 7970 and 7950 were close to top of the line and the 7950 over mid range dude,there is no way with the losses sony had on the PS3 that they would even go there,hell MS went even cheaper and was in no financial problems.

@GoldenElementXL said:

Exactly. Right now we are looking at a GTX 970 tflop wise and a second gen iPad mini CPU. That makes perfect sense. They are better off raising the price $100 and upgrading the CPU too like they are debating doing. Or we will see a PS4.75 in 2017.

Yep there is no way that Jaguar will cut it for that 380 like GPU.

What i wonder is what will they use.AMD CPU are considerable less expensive than Intel,but i don't see how sony can pull this choosing anything less than a FX 8XXX CPU and TDP on those is considerable higher than the PS4 CPU wayyyyyyyy higher.

Polaris 36 CU beats Hawaii XT's 44 CU and rivals Fury Pro's 56 CU

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-polaris-showcased-running-hitman-at-1440p-60fps-total-war-warhammer-will-support-dx12/

For Hitman, Polaris hits 60 fps for 1440p.

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-03/hitman-benchmarks-directx-12/2/#diagramm-hitman-mit-directx-12-2560-1440

For Hitman, Fury Pro(56 CU) hits 60 fps for 1440p with R9-390X(44 CU) hits 59 fps for 1440p

Polaris 36 CU is the new R9-380X(32 CU) segment GPU i.e. R9-480X

R9-285 (Tonga GCN 1.2) has superior fill rates over R9-290

Polaris has improved graphics command processor, tessellation/ geometry and CU.

Notice Polaris did not label "Render Backend" (ROPS) as new i.e. Tonga's ROPS improvements are sufficient.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 tormentos

@04dcarraher said:

AMD sponsors bias games same as Nvidia. Looking at neutral based games 7970ghz/280x is on par with GTX 770 at 1080p.

But the PS4 wont have more memory to spare than normal 7970, between the OS + features and game cache it will average 3gb vram or less. Then if the PS4k does not increase memory bus&bandwidth the new gpu will be bottlenecked not being able to reach its max performance. Leaving it perform on par to a 7950BE or r9 285

Depend on the game.

Double the flop count would probably mean R9 380 in fact a little higher than the R9 380 which is 3.4TF the PS4k would be 3.68 TF.

Depending on the game it would be over the 7970 stock (not ghz edition) over the 780 by 1 frame and over the 770,but that is assuming it is not being CPU bottleneck which is another 2 cents.

The PS4 has 4.5GB and i am sure more can be release from the OS just like they release 1 core,i think those reservations were put in place more to combat future features of the xbox one than actual demand of the OS it self.

That is another concern to memory bandwidth,but i am sure that if they are in deep making an upgrade memory and bandwidth should be accounted in the upgrade list,is not like throwing a R380 inside the PS4 in current form will do anything with that bandwidth.

@NFJSupreme said:

That 7950 I bought in 2012 is now being matched by consoles in 2016. Console gamers have finally caught up to 2012

Yes and that card alone was as expensive as the PS4 it self...

@emgesp said:

Jaguar tops out at 2.2 Ghz if I'm not mistaken. No way are they gonna bring that up to 3.2Ghz. They would be better off using something like Zen cores at a lower clock speed.

The one inside the PS4 tops at 2.0ghz.

@clyde46 said:

Not quite sure what Sony are doing here, why didn't they just make it more expensive first time around and put in better hardware so we could play games at 1080/60 like they promised but then again, Sony are great at breaking promises.

Sony didn't promise 1080p at 60FPS on its games.

@adamosmaki said:

So they will go from a mid-ranged gimped 2012 GPU ( 7870 ) to a mid-range gimped 2015 GPU ( r9 380x) just to play upscaled 4k games and 4kvideo because 2x the GPU power wont let you play games at 4k ( need 4x the gpu of PS4 ) charge $500 for it and split the PS4 fan base and yet some cows will continue praising Sony.

My god hahahaaa.... Is like people don't know what the hell has being running on PC since for ever,there is no split user base both units will probably use the same tools and same OS,one will have higher settings than the other,for any one saying stupid crap like that look at cross platform play between PC and PS4 or PC vs xbox one,PC is in a way higher level yet gamers across different platforms can play.

Rocket League for example the userbase,so how come the PS4 and PC can even play the same game online when they don't even use the same OS.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Chozofication: i doubt they increase the memory. What's the bus width of the PS4's gpu? I presume 256. I don't think they'd go for 384 or 512.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By tormentos

@miiiiv said:

So basically the ps4K is barely what the ps4 should have been from the start if it had gone the same route with a high-end gpu like it's predecessor. Since the 7970 was available at year before the ps4 release.

Not that it's even close to what's needed to run modern games at 4K. Some may be 4K but most will certainly be upscaled.

Sure if you wanted to pay $500+ or more on 2013,putting a 7970 like GPU inside the PS4 in 2013 would mean a much higher price.

For one the machine would not have come with 8GB of memory.

2- the CPU would not have being a 1.6ghz jaguar,and the cooling system would have being more complex,not to mention the size of the unit would have being bigger to,so i say $500 to $600.

@04dcarraher said:

One word "exclusives" made only for the new PS

You actually believe that sony will make a game exclusively for the PS4.? For what purpose to see it fail sales wise and don't get back their investment.?

I am sure 100% that all games will work with both platforms the R380 GPU is not at a distance hardware wise from the PS4 were you can make a game that would not run on PS4 with a few adjustments.

@deadline-zero0 said:

I wonder if cows will sudenly notice all those differences between the ps4 and ps4k versions of the game while they couldn't tell when it was ps4 vs maxed out pc versions.

Fact is that model will cost more money and like PC if you are willing to dip in go ahead,but not every one will byte at that PS4.

@howmakewood said:

I like how this is going to support the PSVR, remember Sony proudly saying there's already over 38million PSVR ready devices on customers?

But the PS4 does support it what do you expect them to say.?

@emgesp said:

I doubt its main appeal is it having a quality scaler. It's being made because of PSVR and perhaps to compete with XB1.5 and NX.

The PS4 upgrade was rumor before the XB1.5 what you are hearing now is basically the confirmation,and MS i am sure change its strategy because of that,make allot of sense now why all of the sudden MS is moving its games to PC.

@deadline-zero0 said:

@adamosmaki: Now their eyes can see the difference between 1080p and (upscaled) 4K.

gpuking will be proud.

Some of you are just to bitter with this...hahahaha

NotAFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 NotAFanboy
Member since 2015 • 573 Posts

@beardmad said:

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

I'm out.

$400 for ps4, a few hundred in online fees, possibly $500 for new experiences within the same console gen...

Console gaming was already more expensive than PC gaming. If these rumors are true it'll just go overboard with expenses.

This is why I'm in favor of MS and Nintendo leaving the market.

The thing I like about SONY is that they are dedicated to the gaming market and their fans. SONY messed up with the PS3, but did SONY cry like a little baby and throw in the towel mid-gen and release a PS4? No. SONY stuck to their guns and fostered good-will with their fans.

Both MS and Nintendo are dirty simeball companies that don't have even 1% of the honor and decency SONY has. The moment they smell trouble, they cry like a baby and restart the generation with new machines.

As much as SONY doesn't want to hurt their fans, they may have no choice as both Nintendo and MS are acting like sore losers and looking to get a pre-emptive strike on SONY.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By ronvalencia

@tormentos:

R9-380/R9-380X chip size is 366 mm^2 which is bigger than the entire PS4's 348 mm^2 SoC (GPU section is about 212 mm^2).

Let's see...

PS4's 348 mm^2 - 212 mm^2 = 136 mm^2 for non-GPU sections

136 mm^2 = non-GPU sections

366 mm^2 = GPU section

Total: 502 mm^2 size chip!!! <-------------- very expensive part!!!! Sony has to use 14 nm FinFET Polaris.

40 watt Polaris is only R9-270X (20 CU 1Ghz) level solution i.e. doesn't meet AMD's PC VR minimums which is R9-290X level goal .

The next level Polaris 232 mm^2 / Polaris 36 CU solution that beats R9-290X.

We can remove 28 nm GCNs upgrades for PS4K since higher grade GCNs exceeds PS4's SoC chip size budget.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I don't think some of the die hards get why some of us are upset.

Probably.....there will be PS4.5 exclusives. There will be split support. There's no way of knowing if that split support will mean less focus on the PS4.

Do you guys actually think Ubisoft, EA etc want to work on 6 different consoles? They don't give PC a fair shake as it is with just 3!!!

If those companies have to split time to work on PS4/PS4.5/NX/X1/X1 Elite/and PC....do you really think the older consoles are going to get the focus?

And again.....there will probably be exclusives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@ronvalencia: They can just shrink down a 7970 to 14nm. Sounds like what they're doing to me. If it's just a 2x increase, that'd fit perfectly.

How would they use Polaris without introducing incompatibilities with old games?

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

And then what? We get the PS5 2 or 2 1/2 years after this PS4k bullshit? Basically telling their existing user base to **** themselves with this.

Wouldn't put it past Sony to do something this stupid though, and the fact that they have yet to deny anything tells me alot.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

I'm glad I'm mostly a PC only gamer. I decide when I want to upgrade, I decide what my games look like and I decide what performance I get.

This is good news though, if true. Means that multiplat games will look even better and be hopefully more "next-gen" than the garbage we've been getting so far.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By ronvalencia

@Chozofication said:

@ronvalencia: They can just shrink down a 7970 to 14nm. Sounds like what they're doing to me. If it's just a 2x increase, that'd fit perfectly.

How would they use Polaris without introducing incompatibilities with old games?

From Chris Norden, SCEA:

PlayStation 4 has two rendering APIs.

"One of them is the absolute low-level API, you're talking directly to the hardware. It's used to draw the static RAM buffers and feed them directly to the GPU," Norden shared. "It's much, much lower level than you're used to with DirectX or OpenGL but it's not quite at the driver level. It's very similar if you've programmed PS3 or PS Vita, very similar to those graphics libraries."

But on top of that Sony is also providing what it terms a "wrapper API" that more closely resembles the standard PC rendering APIs.

The cool thing about the wrapper API is that while its task is to simplify development, Sony actually provides the source code for it so if there's anything that developers don't get on with, they can adapt it themselves to better suit their project.

PS4's low level API is higher than the Radeon driver.

Sony didn't boat anchor their software ecosystem to a single GCN design.

Mantle API is above the driver and lower than DX11

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

PC master native 4k race. /thread?

Ps4k gives me a reason to wait before I rebuy a ps4 I guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@ronvalencia: I see. I was hard set in thinking of consoles like the gamecube and Ps2, but I guess the new twins really are just PCs.

I guess they'll find a way to do this without hurting old games.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#195 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Well it was fun being half cow for a while....guess I'm going back to being a full hermit gradually in the coming months.

Let's be friends :)

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By ronvalencia

@Chozofication said:

@ronvalencia: I see. I was hard set in thinking of consoles like the gamecube and Ps2, but I guess the new twins really are just PCs.

It's closer to iOS model than Wintel PC model.

With iOS model, you have defined hardware profiles i.e. very few CPU and GPU combinations, hence the programmer can easily define the right graphics setting for the right hardware profile

Notice AMD Gaming Evolved PC games are optimised across several GCN levels.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#197 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

So the PS5 is gonna be $500? smh

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 tormentos

@MonsieurX said:

The "games that are not natively 4k"

First of all that mean all games.

Second the R9 380 can run games in 4k dude,just not on ultra.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

So a medium setting game on 4k is possible on a R9 380 which would be a little under the Ps4 specs if the 2X leak holds,even more if it uses AMD latest line of GPU which are more efficient per watt than older architectures,just don't expect anything on ultra at 4k,or any demanding game.

@notorious1234na said:

Oh i see you are an insider and sony already told you the PS4 will be kill next year and no more games will be make for it.

Dude the PS4 is not going any where if anything it should last 10 years with ease and getting new games still,you people are drama queens and talk like if sony would have already say hey next year the PS4 is not getting supported any more.

@iambatman7986 said:

I feel ripped off if this is true. I bought a PS4 on launch day with the expectations of it being the only version of the console, minus a slim version, for the next 7-10 years per usual. When I bought it, Sony didn't say, we are releasing an even better console in 3 years which will play games better than what you just gave us $400 for. This isn't a normal thing in the console market, and it isn't something I was expecting. I'm personally hoping this is all a hoax.

Sony needs to think about the almost 40 million existing PS4 owners and how they could or will react to this. Sure there are die hards that'll swallow this load, but a lot of casuals could get really upset. My buddy just bought a PS4 2 months ago and he is livid at the idea that he will be getting inferior versions of games in the same ecosystem and I'm right there beside him.

When Nvidia announces gpu's, they release a roadmap and are upfront with their plans. I can go off of that to decide which upgrade will be best for me. What Sony is doing is shady in my eyes and I will never be an early adopter of another one of their consoles and may just say screw the Playstation brand in general. I hope early adopters stand up to this and don't just swallow what Sony is dumping into their mouths.

This is pathetic you have being getting the inferior version all freaking long,is the reason i have a PC as well,this is being dramatic and over reacting,you start the argument saying that you bough a PS4 thinking that would be the only version of the console,which is basically an make to order argument since consoles don't get those, so saying you got a PS4 because you think it would not get an upgrade is a joke the PS1,PS2,PS3, didn't get one any so what would make you even for a second that the 4th would to say you did get it for that reason.

Yes and he got 8 more years and who knows if more to buy games, and plays on it sony is not canceling the PS4 out n ow and it will not stop selling it just like they will not stop supporting it,they even make games for the damn lol vita.

What sony is doing is giving people the option for a stronger hardware i guess you don't buy cell phones right because is pathetic you buy a damn iphone 6 only to get a 6s month down the line,and 6 more months latter an iphone 7 and those cost even more than the PS4 when all is say and done,i have an Lg3 and there is already a 4th and a 5th that came to and i am not crying about it,is progression hell in most cellphone cases is stupidities what change and people byte into them.

Some of you are being dramatic and speak as if sony already cancel the damn console is a joke.

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@emgesp: by the time the new PS4 comes around you aren't going to get nearly enough to make it justifiable.

Why would someone buy a $250 PS4 when for $150 more they can get a much better experience. Not to mention my used PS4 will have to be cheaper than the new price of the old PS4 which will get a price cut for sure.

But that's all besides the point. Like he said a console is an investment. There has never been a complete upgrade like this so soon....save for Sega and look at them now. Sony nor MS should be able to change the game on which console generations last after 30 years of being one way.

At least won't with any warning. You do a lot more with a phone....some ppl need to upgrade every time. PC technology moves fast. But that's what makes consoles different.

Why wouldn't I just game on PC if I'm going to upgrade every 3 years?

Those that don't care about graphics.?

What make you think it will be $400.?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 tormentos

@ronvalencia said:

@tormentos:

R9-380/R9-380X chip size is 366 mm^2 which is bigger than the entire PS4's 348 mm^2 SoC (GPU section is about 212 mm^2).

Let's see...

PS4's 348 mm^2 - 212 mm^2 = 136 mm^2 for non-GPU sections

136 mm^2 = non-GPU sections

366 mm^2 = GPU section

Total: 502 mm^2 size chip!!! <-------------- very expensive part!!!! Sony has to use 14 nm FinFET Polaris.

40 watt Polaris is only R9-270X (20 CU 1Ghz) level solution i.e. doesn't meet AMD's PC VR minimums which is R9-290X level goal .

The next level Polaris 232 mm^2 / Polaris 36 CU solution that beats R9-290X.

We can remove 28 nm GCNs upgrades for PS4K since higher grade GCNs exceeds PS4's SoC chip size budget.

Yes i know i was just using the R380 as reference,do you actually think it can be Polaris.?

A 36 CU Polaris GPU is a great increase it actually beat the R290X,that seems like allot if you ask me.