Playstation Plus tiers are here! Current PS Now members get a free upgrade to Premium!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45157 Posts

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/03/29/all-new-playstation-plus-launches-in-june-with-700-games-and-more-value-than-ever/#sf255029422

Since launching PlayStation Plus in 2010, SIE has been at the forefront of innovation with game subscription services. We were thrilled to be the first console membership service that included a refreshed library of games through PlayStation Plus, and also launched the first console game streaming service with PlayStation Now.

Today, we are pleased to share with you official news about changes coming to our subscription services. This June, we’re bringing together PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now in an all-new PlayStation Plus subscription service that provides more choice to customers across three membership tiers globally.

Our focus is on providing high-quality, curated content with a diverse portfolio of games*. Below is an overview of the three membership tiers:

PlayStation Plus Essential

• Benefits:
    • Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
      • Two monthly downloadable games
      • Exclusive discounts
      • Cloud storage for saved games
      • Online multiplayer access
    • There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.
  • Price* for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.
    • United States
      • $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly

PlayStation Plus Extra

• Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
    • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly

PlayStation Plus Premium**

• Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
    • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
      • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
      • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
    • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
    • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets) For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.

The new Extra and Premium tiers represent a major evolution for PlayStation Plus. With these tiers, our key focus is to ensure that the hundreds of games we offer will include the best quality content that sets us apart. At launch, we plan to include titles such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal. We’re working closely with our imaginative developers from PlayStation Studios and third-party partners to include some of the best gaming experiences available with a library that will be regularly refreshed. More details to come on the games we’ll have on our new PlayStation Plus service.

When the new PlayStation Plus service launches, PlayStation Now will transition into the new PlayStation Plus offering and will no longer be available as a standalone service. PlayStation Now customers will migrate over to PlayStation Plus Premium with no increase to their current subscription fees at launch.

Wow.. what do you think, SW? Which one will you be getting? And Is GamePass is trouble?

Update to this story:

Sony claims ‘every major publisher’ will support the new PlayStation Plus games library

Sounds good to me!

Second Update:

For anyone that's interested, Sony is letting you purchase PS Now and you will get a free upgrade to Premium!

When the new PlayStation Plus service launches, PlayStation Now will transition into the new PlayStation Plus offering and will no longer be available as a standalone service. PlayStation Now customers will migrate over to PlayStation Plus Premium with no increase to their current subscription fees at launch.

I used this link: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/IP9101-NPIA90010_01-PSNOWSUB12MO0000

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

lol :P

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

But will it blend?

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5901 Posts

Really why did they bother, its crap

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@tdkmillsy: explain what makes it crap? It's not out yet? Biased much? Can't speak for everyone here but I'll still be buying my games as I prefer physical copy.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts

I guess this is what we expected. It really needs day one releases to compete. I'm hoping people hold out on this so they will add day one releases.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

No brainer to go full PPP.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@lhughey said:

I guess this is what we expected. It really needs day one releases to compete. I'm hoping people hold out on this so they will add day one releases.

$99.99 a year to give away Day 1 purchases? That's tough. MS does it because they're a trillion dollar company lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The game trials are nice, but they mean no day one 1st party games. They probably could have made the pricing a little more appealing too, but I’m not mad at it.

Game Pass isn’t in trouble by any means, but this puts the day one Game Pass 1st party games in danger. If these PS+ tiers pass Game Pass sub numbers in a hurry, (which they will) the financials surrounding the first party strategies will be under a microscope. PS consumers already spend more money on games, so there wasn’t really a push to lose on first party sales to grow a service. They already have 48 million PS+ subs…

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69566 Posts

Well, that met expectactions as underwhelming 😂

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

I think the no day 1 first party games and the fact you have to stream older titles make the offerings by Sony less appealing than Gamepass

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

Slow to change in an ever changing market is the Blockbuster effect.😎

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

But I thought Sony "didn't see the value" in offering a games subscription service. 🤣

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

Terrible. Please nobody buy into these anti consumer practices

I blame MS and all the idiots who allowed themselves to be taken advantage of with Gamepass and even paying for Xbox Live way back in the day for this happening

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

@UnnDunn said:

But I thought Sony "didn't see the value" in offering a games subscription service. 🤣

Add to that is the premium cost for playing....streaming old games.😂

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@Miyomatic said:

No brainer to go full PPP.

The way I see it, if you're already a PS+ member (which you have to be to play online), the highest tier is only $60 more which not bad at all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pedro
@SolidGame_basic said:

The way I see it, if you're already a PS+ member (which you have to be to play online), the highest tier is only $60 more which not bad at all.

For almost the price of an overpriced Sony game you can stream....OLD games.😂

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

Should be an option to outright just buy PS1/PS2/PSP games.

But then again, it also kind of sucks you have to rebuy games you already own or its behind a paywall. I'm pretty sure MGS1 will be definitely be one of the PS1 games on this service. I rebought this game on PSN 12/13 years ago.

Anyway, I'm glad I still have my old consoles for my old school needs.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

I'll speak as a consumer first, and I'll bash it as a fanboy in later posts. I'll talk about the highest tier first, because that's the most interesting one.

There's some good news, in that its offering many of the same features as gpu, which includes access to many games from older libraries and some of these previous gen games are even downloadable. They are also following the gamepass model for 3rd party games. Many newer games will probably release on their service after a period of time.

The biggest drawbacks are 2 things. The first is that the price is $3 more per month than gpu. The second is that no day and date for new games on the service. Sony will likely play a balancing game, wait as long as they can to maximize sales before announcing a release on their service, or maybe some games won't be released on their service at all.

I'd like to point out that MS is probably a bigger first party publisher with more studios than sony is and the games that will release on gpu are on a really high level.

There is one piece of bad news for gpu subscribers. Sonys model is more expensive and offers less. This is pretty much a signal to MS to raise the price at some point.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@PSP107 said:

Also kind of sucks you have to rebuy games you already own. I'm pretty sure MGS1 will be definitely be one of the PS1 games on this service. I rebought this game on PSN 12/13 years ago.

The shills have no problem renting now that Sony is charging a premium for renting old games.😂

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MysticalDonut

@PSP107 said:

Also kind of sucks you have to rebuy games you already own. I'm pretty sure MGS1 will be definitely be one of the PS1 games on this service. I rebought this game on PSN 12/13 years ago.

Yep, just like Nintendo, going the anti-consumer route.

I am not paying a monthly/annual fee to only STREAM games on my new PS5 and Nintendo Switch when I own PS1/PS2/PS3, SNES/N64/GC/Wii/Wii U games on my shelf right next to my TV, insanity

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic

@PSP107 said:

I agree that they should let people buy the older games if they want. Same thing with Nintendo. Wish they would do that with the Switch.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

I agree that they should let people buy the older games if they want. Same thing with Nintendo. Wish they would do that with the Switch.

If only there was a company that allowed you to purchase old games that are on their service. After all "I prefer to own my games"....😂

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 UnnDunn

Personally, I can't wait for the "exclusive wars" for third party games shifting to these subscriptions.

"Grand Theft Auto V Legendary Edition, coming exclusively to PlayStation Plus Premium, December 2024".

"No Man's Sky Ultimate Edition now available only on Xbox Game Pass Ultimate."

It'll be fun to watch. 😁

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46350 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@PSP107 said:

I agree, I kinda want to see more ports/remasters over streaming.

I feel Sony could make Bend and Nixxes 2 porting studios.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@UnnDunn said:

Personally, I can't wait for the "exclusive wars" for third party games shifting to these subscriptions.

"Grand Theft Auto V Legendary Edition, coming exclusively to PlayStation Plus Premium, December 2024".

It'll be fun to watch. 😁

Sounds terrible. Now of this is in conjunction with being available through normal means then, I am fine.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidGame_basic

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I'll speak as a consumer first, and I'll bash it as a fanboy in later posts. I'll talk about the highest tier first, because that's the most interesting one.

There's some good news, in that its offering many of the same features as gpu, which includes access to many games from older libraries and some of these previous gen games are even downloadable. They are also following the gamepass model for 3rd party games. Many newer games will probably release on their service after a period of time.

The biggest drawbacks are 2 things. The first is that the price is $3 more per month than gpu. The second is that no day and date for new games on the service. Sony will likely play a balancing game, wait as long as they can to maximize sales before announcing a release on their service, or maybe some games won't be released on their service at all.

I'd like to point out that MS is probably a bigger first party publisher with more studios than sony is and the games that will release on gpu are on a really high level.

There is one piece of bad news for gpu subscribers. Sonys model is more expensive and offers less. This is pretty much a signal to MS to raise the price at some point.

GamePass Ultimate is $14.99 a month, so $180 a year. But that does include PC as well.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By UnnDunn
@Pedro said:
@UnnDunn said:

It'll be fun to watch. 😁

Sounds terrible. Now of this is in conjunction with being available through normal means then, I am fine.

Nope. No game for you unless you want to wait six months. 😝

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@lhughey said:

$99.99 a year to give away Day 1 purchases? That's tough. MS does it because they're a trillion dollar company lol.

True, plus they own a cloud infrastructure (Azure). MS set Gamepass up like this because they knew it would be hard for Sony to counter.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

@UnnDunn said:

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

I'm happy the cost to play online didn't go up once again, thanks Jimbo!

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 UnnDunn

@Pedro said:
@UnnDunn said:

Forget "day 1" releases, it'll be "day -180" releases. No God of War Ragnarok or Starfield for you unless you pony up that sweet, sweet subscription cash.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic

@howmakewood said:

Remember when MS tried to do that 🤔🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@UnnDunn: We jest but I feel it is inevitable. 😭

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

Poor Phony, and I mean that...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-boss-on-why-it-wont-launch-games-day-one-on-ps-plus-like-xbox-game-pass/1100-6501975/

Bovine brigade amcry. lol :P

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MysticalDonut
@SolidGame_basic said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

GamePass Ultimate is $14.99 a month, so $180 a year. But that does include PC as well.

I've had GamePass since last August (because I could get it for $1) and it is definitely not tons of high quality games. It's mostly games that couldn't sell well for $60, like Halo Infinite and Back 4 Blood. If people had bought those for full price a lot of people would have felt ripped off and the overall player count would be much much lower than it was thanks to GP.

Notice how all the mediocre Gears of War and Halo titles are on GP but they don't have all the Forza titles which are arguably mostly great- because they still think they can get people to outright buy those at the end of the day.

Tunic is probably my favorite day one GP game but its only a small indie title.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

I was correct on this one. This is Sony we are talking about. I knew they were not going to go full gamepass. Gamepass strong from consumer friendly level but obvious the status quo still make a lot more money. Its up to consumers to stop them from dragging there feet on this.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50569 Posts

Seems good to me compared to other services. Probably won't buy it, but if I did would be middle tier.

400 games seems to be a very large amount...depending on the quality of course.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46350 Posts

@ellos said:

I was correct on this one. This is Sony we are talking about. I knew they were not going to go full gamepass. Gamepass strong from consumer friendly level but obvious the status quo still make a lot more money. Its up to consumers to stop them from dragging there feet on this.

But why would consumers push Sony into the direction of gamepass when plenty are fine with buying new games like Horizon Forbidden West or God of War Ragnarok for full price?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MysticalDonut

@SecretPolice said:

Poor Phony, and I mean that...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-boss-on-why-it-wont-launch-games-day-one-on-ps-plus-like-xbox-game-pass/1100-6501975/

Bovine brigade amcry. lol :P

Sony first party games are actually good and will sell, Xbox first party is pretty mediocre and can't sell well at full price. Hence why GP was started in the first place.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@howmakewood said:

Remember when MS tried to do that 🤔🤣

yeah well I havent paid for live since my last x360 broke

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pedro

@mysticaldonut said:

Sony first party games are actually good and will sell, Xbox first party is pretty mediocre and can't sell well at full price. Hence why GP was started in the first place.

I guess you haven't been paying attention to what MS current first party is made up of.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By UnnDunn
@mysticaldonut said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I've had GamePass since last August (because I could get it for $1) and it is definitely not tons of high quality games. It's mostly games that couldn't sell well for $60, like Halo Infinite and Back 4 Blood. If people had bought those for full price a lot of people would have felt ripped off and the overall player count would be much much lower than it was thanks to GP.

Notice how all the mediocre Gears of War and Halo titles are on GP but they don't have all the Forza titles which are arguably mostly great- because they still think they can get people to outright buy those at the end of the day.

Tunic is probably my favorite day one GP game but its only a small indie title.

What do you mean "they don't have all the Forza titles"? You mean they don't have Forza titles that were delisted for licensing reasons? Because every Forza you can still buy digitally is on Game Pass. Admittedly that's only Forza Horizon 4 and 5 right now. Blame Microsoft for signing crappy 3-year licensing deals with the carmakers. Every game in the history of the franchise only remained on sale for 3 years.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MysticalDonut

@Pedro said:
@mysticaldonut said:

I guess you haven't been paying attention to what MS current first party is made up of.

Ahhh Pedro, the user who has to stretch soooooooo far every single time to try to win an argument, lol

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@mysticaldonut said:

Ahhh Pedro, the user who has to stretch soooooooo far every single time to try to win an argument, lol

You mean stating the facts is stretching?🧐

It is ok to be wrong.😎

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

Well, I guess I check out the 400+ PS4 and PS5 games as it seems pretty cheap upgrade.

My actual concern is PS1/PS2 and PSP games, will my prior purchase legacy game on PS3 and PSV be available for download?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MysticalDonut

@Pedro said:
@mysticaldonut said:

You mean stating the facts is stretching?🧐

It is ok to be wrong.😎

You create the facts in your own little warped reality you create because you're an Xbox fanboy.

My comment obviously is referring to Xbox first party as it has been for a longtime, like Sea of Thieves, Gears 4/5, Halo 5, Quantum Break....yet you're going to really try to stretch and somehow bring Activision and Bethesda into the conversation, I think? Lol despite them not releasing any games under MS umbrella yet for Xbox, not to mention most of their games are gonna be multiplat still anyways.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro

@sakaixx said:

My actual concern is PS1/PS2 and PSP games, will my prior purchase legacy game on PS3 and PSV be available for download?

There is nothing indicating as such. It would be awesome if it did.