PC gaming IS dying... for different reason.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NuclearWhoppers
NuclearWhoppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202 NuclearWhoppers
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Pc gaming will not die until the Pc dies/
capitalism25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#203 capitalism25
Member since 2009 • 304 Posts
PC gamers dont like Apple products. Only the iphone 4/ Ipod will work. Ipad and Imac sucks at best
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

I don't. They do exist. However, how many of them have proven exceptionally popular compared to their contemporaries? AncientDozer

You will have to go into a lot more detail than that if you expect your claims to be taken seriously.

If we look at example information such as the gamespot spread sheet, consoles are far more cross platform orientated than PC. Suggesting that PC is better at holding on to exclusives than consoles, which have a much higher cross platform to exclusive ratio. How does this fit into the picture you painted?

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
The Ipad wont rule any home I live in! That's for sure.
alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 alexandros1313
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts

I don't see why form factor has anything to do with a theoritical demise of the PC platform. It doesn't really matter if the computer of the future will be tablet-like, round, square, triangular or whatever. If it is an open platform that allows you to install the software that you want, it's still a PC in the same way that laptops, netbooks and HTPCs are all still PCs, despite the difference in form factor.

MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#207 MxM
Member since 2002 • 1064 Posts

I don't see why form factor has anything to do with a theoritical demise of the PC platform. It doesn't really matter if the computer of the future will be tablet-like, round, square, triangular or whatever. If it is an open platform that allows you to install the software that you want, it's still a PC in the same way that laptops, netbooks and HTPCs are all still PCs, despite the difference in form factor.

alexandros1313
From that perspective, consoles are also PC, with just different form factor... But we do not call them that, right?
alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 alexandros1313

From that perspective, consoles are also PC, with just different form factor... But we do not call them that, right?MxM

They are indeed more PC-like, but look at what I wrote: "If it is an open platform and you can install the software you want". Currently, neither of those is the case so no, consoles are not PCs.

MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 MxM

[QUOTE="MxM"]From that perspective, consoles are also PC, with just different form factor... But we do not call them that, right?alexandros1313

They are indeed more PC-like, but look at what I wrote: "If it is an open platform and you can install the software you want". Currently, neither of those is the case so no, consoles are not PCs.

So, Android tablets are PCs then?
alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 alexandros1313

Right now, no. In the future, probably. At this moment, it's not possible to install Windows on an android phone/tablet and since Windows is the main platform for PC gaming, they can't be classified as PCs yet. Macs can use Windows, hence they adhere to the gaming-oriented definition (or System Wars definition if you will) of a PC. PS3 can't install Windows, so it's not a PC.

Microsoft has already announced that Win 8 will be compatible with ARM processors (the ones found in most phones/tablets) but compatibility with existing software is still up in the air. To put it simply: If I can buy a PC game, install it and play it on a device, then said device is a PC. Simple enough.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#211 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
I can't imagine myself playing on an ipad let alone an apple device, without a keyboard.. who the hell would play pc games on a tablet. Your logic is flawed my friend, and onlive isn't going to happen anytime soon.. and when it does its a rival to consoles not pc's! (pc gamers like the mod ability/flexibility), and seeing as you lag on single player games with online thats just :lol:
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#212 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Doubt this will happen, but nice try at talking down on PC gaming.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="alexandros1313"]

Right now, no. In the future, probably. At this moment, it's not possible to install Windows on an android phone/tablet and since Windows is the main platform for PC gaming, they can't be classified as PCs yet. Macs can use Windows, hence they adhere to the gaming-oriented definition (or System Wars definition if you will) of a PC. PS3 can't install Windows, so it's not a PC.

Microsoft has already announced that Win 8 will be compatible with ARM processors (the ones found in most phones/tablets) but compatibility with existing software is still up in the air. To put it simply: If I can buy a PC game, install it and play it on a device, then said device is a PC. Simple enough.

Windows NT was available for non-X86 PCs.
MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 MxM

alexandros1313
Sorry, but I think you confuse Windows games and PC games. While it is nearly the same thing today, it is not necessarily so in future.
alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 alexandros1313

Could be, noone knows what the future holds. I don't see Microsoft letting go of games that easily though, it would cause a big dent in Windows sales and would basically be financial suicide.

MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 MxM
But it is not up to MS to decide. There is tons of games on Androids already, and MS can do nothing about it.
DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
What the.... This thread is back? Let it die already.
YoYo278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 YoYo278
Member since 2006 • 432 Posts

Next gen portable batteries expected in: 5-10 years

Photorealistic graphics expected in: 10-15 years

Meh by the time processors and batteries get that good on portable devices, who'll give a rats ass about the pc anyway?

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts
While I'm not so sure about the OP's logic, I think most people can see that PC gaming is changing. As consoles rise in popularity, many PC games become "consolized" and one could count the number of mega PC exclusive developers on one hand now. If tablets take off, it could cause another evolution of PC gaming, but nothing beyond that. There will always be some people willing to pay for the best graphical capabilities possible.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#220 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

The iPad kinda sucks and can't replace a real computer. And Apple is going to go bankrupt the second Jobs dies.

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

Not gonna happen. I would never get an ipad to replace my pc.

CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts

Sad that I'm hearing this from a "PC gamer." Wasn't PC gaming suppose to die like 3 years ago?

SwagSurf
Agreed. Who wants to play serious games on an Ipad or let alone any other touch screen device. The controls of Mouse+keyboard rape any other control scheme for accuracy.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
[QUOTE="CPM_basic"][QUOTE="SwagSurf"]

Sad that I'm hearing this from a "PC gamer." Wasn't PC gaming suppose to die like 3 years ago?

Agreed. Who wants to play serious games on an Ipad or let alone any other touch screen device. The controls of Mouse+keyboard rape any other control scheme for accuracy.

Even the next gen of kinect like systems won't be as accurate as a mouse, the only thing that would be more accurate is a system that scans your eyesight and pinpoints where your eyes are looking, maybe in 10-15 years lol
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

[QUOTE="SwagSurf"]

CPM_basic

In 2D yes. Nothing has come close overall.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#225 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
It won't "die", per se, but there's no denying that it's foothold in the market is dwindling, especially for big budget AAA titles. People use the same examples to prove it's fine "WORLD OF WARCRAFT BEGS TO DIFFER" or 'THE SIMS!" "STARCRAFT!" but really console gamers could throw 10 Call of Duty's, Halos, Gears, Assassin's Creeds, Gran Turismos etc. out for every WoW or Sims.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

I am a PC gamer, and PC is my prefered platform for games, as long as they will exist. However, looking into my crystal ball I can see that the PC gaming will die, because home PC themselves will die! The devices like iPad will rule at home, and as a result PC will be used mostly for work and at work. There will be less and less incentives to produce PC game, at the same time more and more games will come to iPad like devices.

It will not happen tomorow, but in 10 years I will bet that most homes will not have PC, but rather iPad-like device, or something build into TV...

MxM

I totally disagree. You could make the same argument for laptops, 20 years ago, but PC desktops are still here.

iPad is not a replacement for a PC, and never will be - power consumption, bad control input, heat etc. are all barriers; unless businesses stop using towers (not going to happen) PCs and PC gaming will be here.

There is no scenario I can see that would kill PC gaming, if anything I think it will grow dramatically in the coming years as the consolers on this forum get out of high school and get jobs. (example)

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

It won't "die", per se, but there's no denying that it's foothold in the market is dwindling, especially for big budget AAA titles. People use the same examples to prove it's fine "WORLD OF WARCRAFT BEGS TO DIFFER" or 'THE SIMS!" "STARCRAFT!" but really console gamers could throw 10 Call of Duty's, Halos, Gears, Assassin's Creeds, Gran Turismos etc. out for every WoW or Sims.Hahadouken

... but PCs get those games too, and WoW etc., with vastly superior graphics.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#228 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts
[QUOTE="SPBoss"][QUOTE="CPM_basic"][QUOTE="SwagSurf"]

Even the next gen of kinect like systems won't be as accurate as a mouse, the only thing that would be more accurate is a system that scans your eyesight and pinpoints where your eyes are looking, maybe in 10-15 years lol

not eventhat, mouse can work on single pixels, pipoints where your eyes are looking would not work as efficiently
fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

My own Gamestop has barely any PC games anymore. It just this little section the corner and even the Argos catalogue for UK and Ireland (It's a really big catalogue widely used) has barely any PC games (5 to be exact) in it either only some new accesories.

alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 alexandros1313

Those shops don't advertise PC games because they can't sell second-hand copies of them. I thought this was common knowledge.

Rude_Bwoii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Rude_Bwoii
Member since 2011 • 523 Posts
I can see what you are saying TC. The tech moves so fast that now you get the atrix 4g and ngp in 2011. In ten years portable gaming will be so strong that it will take over as the primary gaming platform imo. Yes I love pc gaming however the market is changing. The current pc gaming market is being held back by the console market imo. Sure there are pc exclusives but most are multiplats from consoles. So you have a beastly pc with no software to make it work. The next console gen will again move things forward but again be stuck for 5 or 6 years. In that time portable gaming will catch next gen consoles I think and become the dominant gaming platform. I can see the day when I will have my cell phone as my pc/music/gaming/camera and movie device all in my pocket. It will be to the point where everybody will have them and devs will go where the market goes. Sure devs will still make pc and console games but the market will be shifted to the portable devices. This is what I see personally. In 2012 quad core cpu/gpu's will be standard and 6 core gpu/cpu's will be high end and will continue to get stronger from there. I can see us playing cell phone games in 1080p on our hdtv's. That said the pc will still be the most powerful platform.
vkun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 vkun
Member since 2010 • 270 Posts

PC gaming wont die anytime soon because there will always be a market for KB/M and top of the line hardware. PC games will only become more and more consolized.

Rude_Bwoii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Rude_Bwoii
Member since 2011 • 523 Posts

PC gaming wont die anytime soon because there will always be a market for KB/M and top of the line hardware. PC games will only become more and more consolized.

vkun
Not saying pc gaming will die there will always be a market for high end hardware but it won't be a big market.
Ocid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Ocid1
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts

My own Gamestop has barely any PC games anymore. It just this little section the corner and even the Argos catalogue for UK and Ireland (It's a really big catalogue widely used) has barely any PC games (5 to be exact) in it either only some new accesories.

fusionhunter

Oh god are you really going to use Argos and Gamestop as examples.

DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 DJP3000
Member since 2010 • 293 Posts
I can see what you are saying TC. The tech moves so fast that now you get the atrix 4g and ngp in 2011. In ten years portable gaming will be so strong that it will take over as the primary gaming platform imo. Yes I love pc gaming however the market is changing. The current pc gaming market is being held back by the console market imo. Sure there are pc exclusives but most are multiplats from consoles. So you have a beastly pc with no software to make it work. The next console gen will again move things forward but again be stuck for 5 or 6 years. In that time portable gaming will catch next gen consoles I think and become the dominant gaming platform. I can see the day when I will have my cell phone as my pc/music/gaming/camera and movie device all in my pocket. It will be to the point where everybody will have them and devs will go where the market goes. Sure devs will still make pc and console games but the market will be shifted to the portable devices. This is what I see personally. In 2012 quad core cpu/gpu's will be standard and 6 core gpu/cpu's will be high end and will continue to get stronger from there. I can see us playing cell phone games in 1080p on our hdtv's. That said the pc will still be the most powerful platform. Rude_Bwoii
Actually, FSX can get sluggish at times even with a high-end PC depending on the settings, so it must be putting a PC to work. Also you can playing games at 1080p, 4x AA on a PC if your video card is powerful enough, whereas on a console it would be 720p or even less than that with 2x aa, so you can still make use of a powerful video card with a multiplatform game.
fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

[QUOTE="fusionhunter"]

Ocid1

Oh god are you really going to use Argos and Gamestop as examples.

Where I live it's dead. I honestly don't think anyone I know uses their PC to play PC games. In my school it's either a console or nothing. Yes Gamestop is a huge retailer and in Ireland they hardly support PC gaming. I don't think there's much stores that even support selling PC games. The only good place is to download it virtually.

Here in Ireland, PC gaming is going slowly.