PC gaming IS dying... for different reason.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Why do nvidia cards have such random memory amounts?

04dcarraher

To be honest, I have no idea.

How's is that random amount? thats 1.5 gb of memory, in the last 5 years we have had 256mb 384mb, 512mb 768mb, 1024mb, 1280mb, 1536mb, and 2048mb

I'm assuming those are all from nvidia cards? In which case I revert to my previous statement.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
You can't kill something that can't be even hurt.
strangeisland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 strangeisland
Member since 2009 • 1153 Posts

So your going to use your Ipad to make and test games?

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts

strangeisland
this
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

First of all, I did not say iPad will replace PC, I said iPad like devices - big difference. Today, it is iPad and Android tablets (are there good Windows 7 tablets?), in 10 years, they will be much better, much more functional, may be even with sliding keyboad. And yes, laptops will die too, because for HOME USE, tablet interface (touch screen) is just better.

Laptops and PCs will not exist if they are just purely gaming platform, they exist for different reasons, and those reasons will disapear with iPad devices being dominant...

MxM
Orly because the reviews for the iPad pegged it as good for when you're sitting on the couch and inferior in every respect to something else in any other situation. There's this cool thing called a laptop/netbook and this other cool thing called a smartphone. And guess what? They can do everything a tablet can except better. A smartphone's smaller and, well, a phone, and a laptop is far more functional and a far more open-ended device. I can't even believe I'm explaining this to someone. Wait, you actually bought a tablet? How much did you pay for it? Did you read any reviews? omged it has a touch screen I'll take ten!
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

How's is that random amount? thats 1.5 gb of memory, in the last 5 years we have had 256mb 384mb, 512mb 768mb, 1024mb, 1280mb, 1536mb, and 2048mb

04dcarraher

Because most of the time they were just doubling then they decided to do weird numbers, Nvidia adds 256 + 512 and weirdness like that.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="McStrongfast"][QUOTE="MxM"]

First of all, I did not say iPad will replace PC, I said iPad like devices - big difference. Today, it is iPad and Android tablets (are there good Windows 7 tablets?), in 10 years, they will be much better, much more functional, may be even with sliding keyboad. And yes, laptops will die too, because for HOME USE, tablet interface (touch screen) is just better.

Laptops and PCs will not exist if they are just purely gaming platform, they exist for different reasons, and those reasons will disapear with iPad devices being dominant...

Unless I've misinterpreted something, what you're effectively arguing is that within 10 years, people will for some reason lose interest in playing the types of games currently available on PC to the point that further development of them would be unsustainable.

i think its more of dev's seeing a different target audience as... more profitable, with all the SOC and hybrids on the rise, theres going to be a much more emphasis on lower power computing in the future. Power per watt basically, and i think the target will likely be the hybrids and gaming lapotps. High end gaming already is suffering since very very few games really push PC's at all
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

An Android tablet is essentialy a PC. A limited one, but still PC. Anyway, I doubt a standard computers will die anytime soon. I expect tablet computing to become very popular, but killing the laptop formfactor? Doubt it.

To be honest...most likely tablet games will die out in the next decade or two . Same with PC games and console games.

All those gaming platfrorms will propably die out as we know them now and be replaced with browser games. The current model of making separate versions for separate platforms just can't surive the increasings dev costfs forewer. In future we all will be playing browser games that we'll be able to access through variety of devices like smartphones, PCs, tablets, TV media centres etc

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

[QUOTE="McStrongfast"][QUOTE="MxM"]

MxM

Unless I've misinterpreted something, what you're effectively arguing is that within 10 years, people will for some reason lose interest in playing the types of games currently available on PC to the point that further development of them would be unsustainable.

Yes, you miss my point. It is not that people will lose interest to PC games, it is that they will lose interest to PC itself. And PC only as a gaming platform will not prosper (will die). PC gaming exists only because there are PCs in the first place, and those PCs are used for many things, such as e-mail and internet browsing. Once those reasons disappear, and gaming will be the only reason to have PC, this platform will not survive.

PC games exist because there is a demand for them. If there is an interest in PC games then there will be PC games on whatever form of PC happens to be ruling the planet.

We've been doing the internet and emails since the 90's yo. There has almost always been outdated desktops that can pull off basic tasks like those, I'd go out on a limb and declare that most PC's out there are not suitable/used for gaming. Hasn't killed PC gaming yet. Why would it in the future? Why would people interested in PC gaming predominantly purchase a PC on which there inexplicably is no such thing?

I'll add that in case something I say is dumb it's probably because I'm really tired in the head. Pre-emptive potential apologies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

An Android tablet is essentialy a PC. A limited one, but still PC. Anyway, I doubt a standard computers will die anytime soon. I expect tablet computing to become very popular, but killing the laptop formfactor? Doubt it.

To be honest...most likely tablet games will die out in the next decade or two . Same with PC games and console games.

All those gaming platfrorms will propably die out as we know them now and be replaced with browser games. The current model of making separate versions for separate platforms just can't surive the increasings dev costfs forewer. In future we all will be playing browser games that we'll be able to access through variety of devices like smartphones, PCs, tablets, TV media centres etc

AdrianWerner

There will be My Cloud powered by Google and people will make dumb Highlander jokes. Or well, old people like us anyway.

Avatar image for BattleforAzerot
BattleforAzerot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 BattleforAzerot
Member since 2007 • 149 Posts

I suspect that a completely new system will emerge in next 10 years. A quantum computer per haps? Who knows? But the whole technological world will transform in a ways we can't even imagine today. Take an Emptiv EPOC for example, i expect that this brain-to-computer type controller will dominate the market as opposed to current input devices. You may think that the motion control is something unque, but controlling a game simply by thoughts is beyond everything... Humans also will start merge theyr minds (brains) into a network trough the brain-computer interface devices, literally greating an internet from brain to brain.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

I suspect that a completely new system will emerge in next 10 years. A quantum computer per haps? Who knows? But the whole technological world will transform in a ways we can't even imagine today. Take an Emptiv EPOC for example, i expect that this brain-to-computer type controller will dominate the market as opposed to current input devices. You may think that the motion control is something unque, but controlling a game simply by thoughts is beyond everything... Humans also will start merge theyr minds (brains) into a network trough the brain-computer interface devices, literally greating an internet from brain to brain.

BattleforAzerot
I think we'll put a quantum computer in a tiger and ride it to work.
Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
ef that. I won't buy an ipad like device for gaming hell nawh. straight up PC, and if it starts to die then i'll die with it.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 abuabed

strangeisland
Off-Topic but your sig made me really laugh out loud :lol:
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

I hearby declare a jyhad on ALL topics of platforms dying. That goes for them all; PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and PC.

AdobeArtist

What about DS is dying ?

Avatar image for BattleforAzerot
BattleforAzerot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 BattleforAzerot
Member since 2007 • 149 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

I hearby declare a jyhad on ALL topics of platforms dying. That goes for them all; PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and PC.

R4gn4r0k

What about DS is dying ?

What bout dying is dying?

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#67 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Everyone else advances double the previous amount. 4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512-1024-2048.

topgunmv

And a 1.5 GB card can be cheaper than a 2 GB card.

It's all gravy when the first card I started out with back in '05 had only 256 MB.:P

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#68 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts

There are already many alternatives for dekstops/laptops in theory, but a big screen and a good keyboard/mouse is still the most comfortable way to go when working or surfing the net for a longer period, I don't see people abandoning that for tablets.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts

I am a PC gamer, and PC is my prefered platform for games, as long as they will exist. However, looking into my crystal ball I can see that the PC gaming will die, because home PC themselves will die! The devices like iPad will rule at home, and as a result PC will be used mostly for work and at work. There will be less and less incentives to produce PC game, at the same time more and more games will come to iPad like devices.

It will not happen tomorow, but in 10 years I will bet that most homes will not have PC, but rather iPad-like device, or something build into TV...

MxM
Keep dreaming.
jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#70 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

I am a PC gamer, and PC is my prefered platform for games, as long as they will exist. However, looking into my crystal ball I can see that the PC gaming will die, because home PC themselves will die! The devices like iPad will rule at home, and as a result PC will be used mostly for work and at work. There will be less and less incentives to produce PC game, at the same time more and more games will come to iPad like devices.

It will not happen tomorow, but in 10 years I will bet that most homes will not have PC, but rather iPad-like device, or something build into TV...

MxM

What you say makes no sense. The ipad isn't catered for the gaming market. People who get the ipad as their primary form of computing device definitely don't play games...or don't play games in a way where they contribute to the growth of the gaming industry in general. PC gamers always have a gaming pc in addition to whatever peripherals they may get in future.

The whole 'consoles replacing the pc' argument makes more sense than your's. At least consoles are tailored for gamers, the same gamers who may want to game on the pc.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

TC, judging by your logic, console gaming will die aswell.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

I LOL'd at ipad replacing pc gaming haha

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

IPad... IPad?...... IPAD????????

Don't know what stuff you're smoking, TC, but it certainly IS very strong.

I'm pretty sure, from all the data we can easily find all over the place concerning PC gaming (presence on Steam, GoG, D2D etc, graphics cards sales, massive online success of so many games) that it is much bigger now than 10 years ago.

And seriously.... IPad? Who buys that over-priced piece of junk, apart from tech-nuts?

PCs will evolve of course, but I'm quite confident that in years to come you'll still find huge success for powerful systems equipped with this glory that is the KB/mouse combo (unsurpassed for many game genres to this day) and the possibility to plug in any other kind of controller. So PC gaming isn't going anywhere, except maybe through the roof....

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#74 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I wonder how many times I have heard pc gaming is dying or will die.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Sad that I'm hearing this from a "PC gamer." Wasn't PC gaming suppose to die like 3 years ago?

SwagSurf
PC gaming died in 2006. Now we play on Zombie PC's.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts
a bit bolder topic saying every platform is dying, except iPad. props to TC. i'll kill (yes, single-handedly) iPad too. back to throwing marbles, everyone! maybe i'll make a topic out of this.
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

Shame that dev's use PC's to make the games.

Oh well, ill find a new hobby.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Died 2006? Blegh last i heard it died 25 years ago.
ramealdabest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ramealdabest
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts

AdobeArtist

This + Jihad*

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#80 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

MxM
I would take a good ol' pc instead of an ipad any day
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

pc is going more and more mobile. Who wants to keep their digital life at home?

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

dontshackzmii

Laptops have been around for a long time now. It's not news.

Seriously op, ipad is going to replace pc? A book reader?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
iPads class as PCs.... PC just stands for personal computer which just means that it serves a single local user
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

The moment anyone says PC gaming is dying, they can be instantly disregarded, as they have demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of just what exactly PC gaming is. If they had any actual understanding, they would know it's next to indestructible.

Who do you take out to kill PC gaming? It is no single target, it is a collective of millions of companies selling their products and services on a open platform. Even if a major target like Intel or Nvidia were to go bankrupt, the free market fills the gap. Consoles on the other hand very easily die, their existence is dependant on the success of the 1st party in the games market. If they don't do good enough, they die, like the Sega system did.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

dontshackzmii

Same could be said about consoles right? Especially with the crazy handheld market right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

edidili

Laptops have been around for a long time now. It's not news.

Seriously op, ipad is going to replace pc? A book reader?

iPad can't even replace a laptop for my needs... let alone gaming PC.
NanoMan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 NanoMan88
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

The OP is so smart

Do you think I can play Shogun 2 on an ipad without it bursting into flames?

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

AdobeArtist
I am with you! Woe unto the unbelievers :P
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 abuabed
PC gaming has been dying the moment it was born but the problem is; PC is undead so dying means more powah!
icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

the only people buying gaming desktops are gamers and the desktop is perfect for gamers seeing as its upgradeable (unlike laptops ipads and other gimmicks), in other words the whole gaming pc segment is being kept alive by us and we dont want to replace the desktop so it isnt going anywhere

MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#91 MxM
Member since 2002 • 1064 Posts

the only people buying gaming desktops are gamers and the desktop is perfect for gamers seeing as its upgradeable (unlike laptops ipads and other gimmicks), in other words the whole gaming pc segment is being kept alive by us and we dont want to replace the desktop so it isnt going anywhere

icyseanfitz
Gaming PC shares lots of component with a standard PC. If there are no PC, producing only gaming PC becomes very expensive. Gaming PC relies on technology developed for non-gaming in mind.
icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 icyseanfitz

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

MxM

Gaming PC shares lots of component with a standard PC. If there are no PC, producing only gaming PC becomes very expensive. Gaming PC relies on technology developed for non-gaming in mind.

really so a normal pc needs an i7 and a specific mobo for that i7 as well as say a gtx 570, my pc shares basically nothing in common with an average pc besides the lcd and Ram, gaming pc's do not rely on pc technology built for low end consumers if anything its the other way around

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

[QUOTE="MxM"][QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

icyseanfitz

really so a normal pc needs an i7 and a specific mobo for that i7 as well as say a gtx 570, my pc shares basically nothing in common with an average pc besides the lcd and Ram, gaming pc's do not rely on pc technology built for low end consumers if anything its the other way around

Actually you would be surprised how easily it is to have a "gaming pc" even when you buy prebuilt.. I just finished taking a HP q8300, 4 gb ram, windows home personal computer that a family bought for 600 dollars a year and a half back from best buy and put a 5670 ATI graphics card in it... Now they are able to play countless new PC games in the medium quality range. PC hardware has outpaced performance needed by a great bit in last 2-3 years. PC gaming is redicoulously flexible so the "normal pc needs" is very subjective to what a user wants... Even my gaming Pc I have is well under the requirements of a I7, mobo for i7 and a gtx 570 but I can play every game maxxed out (exception metro 2033 which sits at 30 fps and cryostasis which is as 30 fps) on the monitors I have. The low end consumer to high end consumer is very offbase.. There is actually more low end consumer video cards, gpu's, and even ram on the market then the other way around.

PS... my statement is a combination between the 2 members stated above.. Not toward either one.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 icyseanfitz

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

[QUOTE="MxM"] Gaming PC shares lots of component with a standard PC. If there are no PC, producing only gaming PC becomes very expensive. Gaming PC relies on technology developed for non-gaming in mind. jedikevin2

Actually you would be surprised how easily it is to have a "gaming pc" even when you buy prebuilt.. I just finished taking a HP q8300, 4 gb ram, windows home personal computer that a family bought for 600 dollars from best buy and put a 5670 ATI graphics card in it... Now they are able to play countless new PC games in the medium quality range. PC hardware has outpaced performance needed by a great bit in last 2-3 years. PC gaming is redicoulously flexible so the "normal pc needs" is very subjective to what a user wants... Even my gaming Pc I have is well under the requirements of a I7, mobo for i7 and a gtx 570 but I can play every game maxxed out (exception metro 2033 which sits at 30 fps and cryostasis which is as 30 fps) on the monitors I have.

i know this im just trying to point out that pc gamers are keeping the gaming tower alive as its the most versitile platform ever created and that lower end pc components are generally gimped from the higher end components not the other way around

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#95 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The iPad and similar tablet computers are not PC's. They are a completely different market. If anything, the laptop market will die when the iPad and similar devices get powerful enough to match them (and cheap enough to afford). Nothing is dying here... and the iPad has no bearing on the state of PC gaming. Two entirely different animals (PC gaming being for gamers, and iPad gaming being for Starbucks-going non-gamers).

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Boomshaffted
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts
I think it's a pretty obvious fact of the market that it is taking significant strides away from the big monolithic tower PCs that defines the computer world, but did so a lot more even five years ago... PC gaming as we know it ain`t going anywhere soon, but I do predict - long term - that PC gaming as we know it will eventually disappear simply because PCs as we know them will fall way to more flexible, portable devices with less hardware variation.
Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Boomshaffted

The iPad and similar tablet computers are not PC's. They are a completely different market. If anything, the laptop market will die when the iPad and similar devices get powerful enough to match them (and cheap enough to afford). Nothing is dying here... and the iPad has no bearing on the state of PC gaming. Two entirely different animals (PC gaming being for gamers, and iPad gaming being for Starbucks-going non-gamers).

foxhound_fox

Meh, that`s exactly what people were saying about the IPOD touch/Iphone until it recently came into the running for top portable gaming device, and still building steam. Similar things were said about the Wii initially, but it has not only taken #1 spot among the consoles, but it has more or less redefined the way we look at consoles. PC gaming? The ship has far from sailed on it, don't get me wrong - but I think some *major* changes are on the horizon. We've been watching a slow and steady exodus of many of PCs top exclusive developers of the past few decades with far fewer of the real big-budget type titles being PC only releases, and the desktop market has taken a *huge* beating from the far less gaming friendly laptop - and the laptop market is now being threatened by tablets. The winds of change are blowing, mark my words, and PC gaming may be looking at a slow and steady spectrum shift over the next two decades.

Avatar image for thecapsaicinkid
thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 thecapsaicinkid
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts

Operating systems as we know it will die first in favour of cloud based OSs like Google Chrome and then local hardware will die out in favour of streamed services likes OnLive which will be HTML5/browser based.

So it may well be that people will end up playing games on tablets/ipads but they sure as hell won't be native apps like they are now.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Boomshaffted

Meh, that`s exactly what people were saying about the IPOD touch/Iphone until it recently came into the running for top portable gaming device, and still building steam. Similar things were said about the Wii initially, but it has not only taken #1 spot among the consoles, but it has more or less redefined the way we look at consoles. PC gaming? The ship has far from sailed on it, don't get me wrong - but I think some *major* changes are on the horizon. We've been watching a slow and steady exodus of many of PCs top exclusive developers of the past few decades with far fewer of the real big-budget type titles being PC only releases, and the desktop market has taken a *huge* beating from the far less gaming friendly laptop - and the laptop market is now being threatened by tablets. The winds of change are blowing, mark my words, and PC gaming may be looking at a slow and steady spectrum shift over the next two decades.

That argument goes 2 fold as top exclusive console developers have also moved away to the multiplatform arena.. Ad in consoles keep moving toward being a PC, tv's are trying to incorporate computer technology so not seeing anything bad for PC.. Pc will always be there for the forseeable future... The winds of normality is blowing. mark my words. Pc gaming may be looking at the status quo for the next couple decades.

You could make a better argument that console platform is in slow and spectrum shift over the next 2 decades.

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Boomshaffted

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

jedikevin2

That argument goes 2 fold as top exclusive console developers have also moved away to the multiplatform arena.. Ad in consoles keep moving toward being a PC, tv's are trying to incorporate computer technology so not seeing anything bad for PC.. Pc will always be there for the forseeable future... The winds of normality is blowing. mark my words. Pc gaming may be looking at the status quo for the next couple decades.

You could make a better argument that console platform is in slow and spectrum shift over the next 2 decades.

Oh? Are you suggesting there have been nearly as many major console developers who have put the PC on equivalent footing consoles as the other way around? I mean, Rock Star (PC originally), Bioware, ID, Valve, Epic, Bethesda, etc etc... I'm trying to think of the host of major console developers who are bending over backwards to dual-release their console exclusives on the PC as well, and most of the ones I can think of were originally PC developers. What major console developers are you thinking of that are building for the PC with much gumption? I guess Square made an MMO for the PC... Capcom released SSFIV for the PC... In general though, this always seems to be quite a small priority for these devs and a majority of their games remain console focused. Old PC game developers? Not so much. And yes, I understand there still are PC game centric developers, but a lot of the ones that defined the golden age of PC gaming that sprawled through the 90's and the early 2000's are not building console games first, PC games second, or at least putting them on equal footing. These were the flagship devs of PC gaming, and now they've gone *very* heavily console centric. I don't think you can say the same of the major console developers.

On a side note... Did I even mention anything about consoles in my initial posts? I don't disagree with your assertion - console gaming won't go unchanged either, but... This topic is about PC gaming. Why bring up consoles? A little defensive, are we?

PS - there's a reason a PC game is featured in my sig, and it's not because I'm a blind console fanboy.