PC gaming IS dying... for different reason.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="MxM"]

I am a PC gamer, and PC is my prefered platform for games, as long as they will exist. However, looking into my crystal ball I can see that the PC gaming will die, because home PC themselves will die! The devices like iPad will rule at home, and as a result PC will be used mostly for work and at work. There will be less and less incentives to produce PC game, at the same time more and more games will come to iPad like devices.

It will not happen tomorow, but in 10 years I will bet that most homes will not have PC, but rather iPad-like device, or something build into TV...

XIntoTheBlue

Now why the hell would I prefer an iPad or other mobile devices to a PC when it comes to video games? No other device has surpassed a desktop in terms of computing power. The iPad is no different. So find another reason why PC gaming is dying.

Yeah that was awful attempt.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
pc gaming is in decline because there is not enough powerful software to really take advantage of the hardware.legol1
iliatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 iliatay
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts

the pc gaming is dying arguement is gone nowadays. Now the rage is about iPad supposedly replacing everything.

MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#154 MxM
Member since 2002 • 1064 Posts

For those who still does not understand argument, here is what I found:

US PC sales drop as tablets shake things upIt is not that PC gaming itself dying, PCs are dying... It will not happen today, nor probably in 5 years, but in 10? Quite possibly.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I know what he means and it is possible that PC's as we know them anyway, will start to die out and a more streamlined way of accomplishing the same thigns will be introduced, but I hope this is FAR off :P.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

US PC sales drop as tablets shake things upIt is not that PC gaming itself dying, PCs are dying... It will not happen today, nor probably in 5 years, but in 10? Quite possibly.MxM

Industry is still far too large to allow desktops to completely disappear. It'd be hell replacing them all for good. It'll never happen, hopefully. I love my desktop :(

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="MxM"]

US PC sales drop as tablets shake things upIt is not that PC gaming itself dying, PCs are dying... It will not happen today, nor probably in 5 years, but in 10? Quite possibly.ChubbyGuy40

Industry is still far too large to allow desktops to completely disappear. It'd be hell replacing them all for good. It'll never happen, hopefully. I love my desktop :(

It's like predicting the death of gourmet coffee because a lot of people use instant, yet 100 years later many people still buy coffee grinders and french presses and the like.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 ronvalencia

US PC sales drop as tablets shake things upIt is not that PC gaming itself dying, PCs are dying... It will not happen today, nor probably in 5 years, but in 10? Quite possibly. MxM

In the mid-90s, X86 PC faced a similar challenge against RISC based competitors e.g. ACE (MIPS or Alpha), AIM (PowerPC), ARM. X86 PC adapted by assimulating RISC cores e.g. Intel Pentium Pro or AMD K5 (itself was based on AMD 29K RISC CPU).

AMD Bobcat core's 4.6 mm^2 (40nm TSMC) is already challenging NVIDIA Tegra's ARM Cortex A9 4.9 mm^2 (40nm TSMC). AMD Bobcat (out-of-order processing) core's delivers near Intel Core 2 ULV performance while ARM Cortex A9 (out-of-order processing) delivers near Intel "Pineview" Atom performance.

AMD Bobcat core's X86 legacy support die size is minor i.e. ~5 percent. What's important is the micro-architecture implementation.

PS; In early 90s, AMD 29K RISC CPUs was the one of best selling RISC processor in the world.AMD abandoned their 29K for X86.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#159 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

I have nothing against PC gaming but I have to agree. In a few years PC gaming will be dead. It holds almost no advantages anymore over home consoles and many more drawbacks unfortunately. And that's not even mentioning how much less profitable it is. It won't be long until there are zero advantages to a cumbersome PC over the efficiant home console. PCs are meant for interent and programming and business imo. Let the gaming ge relegated to the areas where it really matters and makes the most money.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

I have nothing against PC gaming but I have to agree. In a few years PC gaming will be dead. It holds almost no advantages anymore over home consoles and many more drawbacks unfortunately. And that's not even mentioning how much less profitable it is. It won't be long until there are zero advantages to a cumbersome PC over the efficiant home console. PCs are meant for interent and programming and business imo. Let the gaming ge relegated to the areas where it really matters and makes the most money.

Mobile X86 says Hi against these PowerPC bloat. AMD Ontario netbook can play Modern Warare 2 on medium details.
Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

Darth-Samus

It offers many advantages, for both the consumer and the industry. Profit margins on digitally distributed games are huge, and it is much easier for indy devs to start up on PC. On the consumer side of things, you have a giant variety of games because of that, plus sales such as Steam's can exist. PCs are also upgradeable, and don't require replacement every new generation.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

In a few years PC gaming will be dead.

No it won't. Too strong and large of a community.

It holds almost no advantages anymore over home consoles and many more drawbacks unfortunately.

Better visuals, better online, better performance, far more flexibility, mods, Digital Download services, and freedom to play with whatever controller or keyboard you like. Drawbacks? It costs more and people are uneducated about PCs in general. Not to mention these new startup companies that have the freedom to do whatever the hell they want get a chance to thrive here. Companies like Craptivision will have them make one game and if it doesn't pull CoD numbers it gets shut down and employees fired.

And that's not even mentioning how much less profitable it is.

Bigger numbers doesn't mean better profits. I mean Activision has to spend millions and millions to market CoD to sell, yet small Indie devs can manage to pull 200k sales by word of the mouth and smart sales.Oh, and World of Warcraft + microtransactions say WADDUP.

It won't be long until there are zero advantages to a cumbersome PC over the efficiant home console. PCs are meant for interent and programming and business imo. Let the gaming ge relegated to the areas where it really matters and makes the most money.

Wrong. Consoles are becomming more and more like PCs, an entertainment center. If PCs were meant for programming and business, then gaming wouldn' exactly exist as there'd be no platform to develop them on. Its the natural choice for games. I agree, let it go all to the PC which owned what, 54% of all profits last year?

Darth-Samus

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#163 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
[QUOTE="rpgs_shall_rule"]

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

It offers many advantages, for both the consumer and the industry. Profit margins on digitally distributed games are huge, and it is much easier for indy devs to start up on PC. On the consumer side of things, you have a giant variety of games because of that, plus sales such as Steam's can exist. PCs are also upgradeable, and don't require replacement every new generation.

Also every new generation of consoles they become more like Pc's and to the fact that each generation dies for the next and support is no longer there.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Bebi_vegeta

US PC sales drop as tablets shake things upIt is not that PC gaming itself dying, PCs are dying... It will not happen today, nor probably in 5 years, but in 10? Quite possibly.MxM

I like this... they only compare stats between 2009-2010... and they get this conclusion... people geting tablets, were they really gamers to start with?

MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 MxM

[QUOTE="MxM"]

US PC sales drop as tablets shake things upIt is not that PC gaming itself dying, PCs are dying... It will not happen today, nor probably in 5 years, but in 10? Quite possibly.Bebi_vegeta

I like this... they only compare stats between 2009-2010... and they get this conclusion... people geting tablets, were they really gamers to start with?

Some of them probably are. Especially casual gamers...
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="MxM"]

Some of them probably are. Especially casual gamers...

Which wouldn't be buying games... probably playing facebook game or whatever that is free.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#167 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

[QUOTE="legol1"]pc gaming is in decline because there is not enough powerful software to really take advantage of the hardware.AnnoyedDragon

So to break down your argument, you are using the reduction in high end PC games this generation; to argue that PC is in decline? Essentially saying that developers lack of support for PC in this area, is a indication of developers not wanting to support it.

Of course, what if I were to point out that the exact same thing is happening on consoles? That the vast majority of console hardware utilizing games are paid for by the console 1st party, not the 3rd party. Therefore creating the illusion of market support where it does not exist.

Common sense suggests that if PC and consoles are showing the exact same thing, once you remove the artificial supplementation of the 1st party, then there are factors outside of the individual platforms that are at play here. Namely that development costs have skyrocketed, and 3rd party developers flight to safety is cross platform development or cheaper games.

The impact being a reduction in high end 3rd party exclusives across all platforms.

There are 3rd party console exclusives (literally) that never come to PC....The reason is the cannibalisation of the console version sales....By the PC warez scene. Red Dead Redemption NHL 11 Super Street Fighter IV Bayonetta The Beatles: Rock Band Ninja Gaiden Sigma These are just the AAA games...The AA list is much longer check it out: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AriQpIFbPoEacGM1b0xxcGVucFQ3OFc4N3BNZmd2QkE&gid=2 Even though the PC has 14 AAAE...It is a misleading number.... The TOTAL AAA-AAAA number tells the truth: The PC has 32 AAA The PS3 35 AAA-AAAA The 360 37 AAA-AAAA How is this possible?
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Yeah PC gaming has been dying for the last 10 years sure lmao.
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Because US=The world, right?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

[QUOTE="legol1"]pc gaming is in decline because there is not enough powerful software to really take advantage of the hardware.True_Gamer_

So to break down your argument, you are using the reduction in high end PC games this generation; to argue that PC is in decline? Essentially saying that developers lack of support for PC in this area, is a indication of developers not wanting to support it.

Of course, what if I were to point out that the exact same thing is happening on consoles? That the vast majority of console hardware utilizing games are paid for by the console 1st party, not the 3rd party. Therefore creating the illusion of market support where it does not exist.

Common sense suggests that if PC and consoles are showing the exact same thing, once you remove the artificial supplementation of the 1st party, then there are factors outside of the individual platforms that are at play here. Namely that development costs have skyrocketed, and 3rd party developers flight to safety is cross platform development or cheaper games.

The impact being a reduction in high end 3rd party exclusives across all platforms.

There are 3rd party console exclusives (literally) that never come to PC....The reason is the cannibalisation of the console version sales....By the PC warez scene. Red Dead Redemption NHL 11 Super Street Fighter IV Bayonetta The Beatles: Rock Band Ninja Gaiden Sigma These are just the AAA games...The AA list is much longer check it out: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AriQpIFbPoEacGM1b0xxcGVucFQ3OFc4N3BNZmd2QkE&gid=2 Even though the PC has 14 AAAE...It is a misleading number.... The TOTAL AAA-AAAA number tells the truth: The PC has 32 AAA The PS3 35 AAA-AAAA The 360 37 AAA-AAAA How is this possible?

By which timeframe or standard? Because last I checked, since late 2005 the PC number has been much higher.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
I love the fact that some think that a game being AAA means its a good quality game... quantity=quality :lol: .... Then the fact a game has to to be AAA to be considered good and an A or AA are automatically poor quality or bad. The console game rating system is I think is dumb because in most ways cant apply to Pc gaming and in the ranking of a game gives it a false sense of quality just because of sale numbers. There are more games on Pc exclusives then consoles even the "AAA" titles, so statng the fact that some console titles never reach Pc's is a useless statement because the same thing can be said about any platform.
MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 MxM

[QUOTE="MxM"]

US PC sales drop as tablets shake things upIt is not that PC gaming itself dying, PCs are dying... It will not happen today, nor probably in 5 years, but in 10? Quite possibly.coreybg

No, US = technology leader, trend starter. What you see today in US, you may see tomorrow in the world...
Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts
[QUOTE="coreybg"]

[QUOTE="MxM"]

No, US = technology leader, trend starter. What you see today in US, you may see tomorrow in the world...

Not really. There are countries that match and even exceed the US technologically.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="coreybg"]

[QUOTE="MxM"]

Asia would of been a better answer...

alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 alexandros1313
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts

Consoles will become redundant in the next five years, as even an entry-level netbook will provide enough graphics power to play the latest games while being able to connect wirelessly to any display and offer lag-free gaming. The writing's on the wall.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

[QUOTE="coreybg"]

[QUOTE="MxM"]

1st of all, Asia is the technology leader.

2nd - Even if was the US, I don't see how that makes sales there more important.

erazor51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 erazor51
Member since 2003 • 339 Posts

Oh no, pc gaming is dying, jebus sabe us!

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

PC gaming has been dying since 1985...duh. Get with the times. It'll happen soon...mark my words. :|

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 HuusAsking

Consoles will become redundant in the next five years, as even an entry-level netbook will provide enough graphics power to play the latest games while being able to connect wirelessly to any display and offer lag-free gaming. The writing's on the wall.

alexandros1313
Don't be so sure, not with GPU tech still advancing pretty steadily, and games will eventually push the DX11 envelope. As more get comfy with DX10 and DX11, the bar gets raised and netbooks will be ill-equipped for them. Plus their power-conservation focus and small screens will probably hamper other gaming prospects.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#182 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

PC gaming died before PCs were even invented. now how's that possible? i don't know. only on PC. i love corpse-gaming.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#183 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

PC gaming doesnt die, the consoles you play on die when a new generation of consoles comes out, PC carries on and on with new developers emerging from all corners of the earth to bring us amazing games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Crostasis, The Precursors, Minecraft, Drakensang, Crysis ect.

Then a few years later when console tech has caught up or when developers have found away to dumb down their creations to work on limited console hardware, we see an anticipated sequel to a massive PC franchise get ruined by console design, like Invisable War and AVP3 and OFPDR and... But then new developers arrive or old developers form new roots and it starts all over again. Consoles, just die, and are replaced by new ones with hardware thats already 2 years+ behind PC on the day of their release.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#184 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

PC gaming doesnt die, the consoles you play on die when a new generation of consoles comes out, PC carries on and on with new developers emerging from all corners of the earth to bring us amazing games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Crostasis, The Precursors, Minecraft, Drakensang, Crysis ect.

Then a few years later when console tech has caught up or when developers have found away to dumb down their creations to work on limited console hardware, we see an anticipated sequel to a massive PC franchise get ruined by console design, like Invisable War and AVP3 and OFPDR and... But then new developers arrive or old developers form new roots and it starts all over again. Consoles, just die, and are replaced by new ones with hardware thats already 2 years+ behind PC on the day of their release.

pelvist

don't bother with these people. if they do topics like this, they are not going to understand.

Kyuushuu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Kyuushuu_
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

I am a PC gamer, and PC is my prefered platform for games, as long as they will exist. However, looking into my crystal ball I can see that the PC gaming will die, because home PC themselves will die! The devices like iPad will rule at home, and as a result PC will be used mostly for work and at work. There will be less and less incentives to produce PC game, at the same time more and more games will come to iPad like devices.

It will not happen tomorow, but in 10 years I will bet that most homes will not have PC, but rather iPad-like device, or something build into TV...

MxM

Haha, no. Anyone with any self-respect or common sense wouldn't go within 10M of a iPad.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

There are 3rd party console exclusives (literally) that never come to PC....True_Gamer_

My argument wasn't that 3rd party console exclusives don't exist. My argument was there has been a vast reduction in "hardware utilizing games" in the 3rd party market, because of rising development costs either driving most of them cross platform; or limiting their budget as a exclusive. The majority of hardware utilizing console games; being 1st party projects.

The argument you did provide doesn't really say anything, because all you did was list a bunch of titles on consoles but not PC. I can very easily do the same, as PCs exclusive line-up is far more significant than consoles.

alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 alexandros1313

Don't be so sure, not with GPU tech still advancing pretty steadily, and games will eventually push the DX11 envelope. As more get comfy with DX10 and DX11, the bar gets raised and netbooks will be ill-equipped for them. Plus their power-conservation focus and small screens will probably hamper other gaming prospects.HuusAsking

Technology will continue to evolve, there's no doubt about that. However, the huge delay in releasing new consoles means that PC technology has a chance to widen the power gap. This will probably mean that, if and when new consoles are released, the PC versions of their games will be easily playable with a rather modest (and cheap) PC and even on low-end machines within a year. It may be hard to sell people on a new console when you can play most of their games on your already existing PC/Laptop.

As for the small screen of a laptop versus a TV in the living room, I think it won't be an issue. Already there are graphics cards that can connect wirelessly to your TV over great distances. This feature will problably become standard in a couple of years, which basically means that you will be able to play PC games straight on your TV, using wireless controllers, with your PC being in another room.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I hearby declare a jyhad on ALL topics of platforms dying. That goes for them all; PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and PC.

AdobeArtist
Same :P
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
No, Mobile gaming devices of any sorts will not kill PC gaming.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="alexandros1313"]

HuusAsking

Don't be so sure, not with GPU tech still advancing pretty steadily, and games will eventually push the DX11 envelope. As more get comfy with DX10 and DX11, the bar gets raised and netbooks will be ill-equipped for them. Plus their power-conservation focus and small screens will probably hamper other gaming prospects.

Just looking at what sandy bridge can do... even though it's for dekstop, it's still very amazing what it can do. So, I'll wait and see.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]Don't be so sure, not with GPU tech still advancing pretty steadily, and games will eventually push the DX11 envelope. As more get comfy with DX10 and DX11, the bar gets raised and netbooks will be ill-equipped for them. Plus their power-conservation focus and small screens will probably hamper other gaming prospects.alexandros1313

Technology will continue to evolve, there's no doubt about that. However, the huge delay in releasing new consoles means that PC technology has a chance to widen the power gap. This will probably mean that, if and when new consoles are released, the PC versions of their games will be easily playable with a rather modest (and cheap) PC and even on low-end machines within a year. It may be hard to sell people on a new console when you can play most of their games on your already existing PC/Laptop.

As for the small screen of a laptop versus a TV in the living room, I think it won't be an issue. Already there are graphics cards that can connect wirelessly to your TV over great distances. This feature will problably become standard in a couple of years, which basically means that you will be able to play PC games straight on your TV, using wireless controllers, with your PC being in another room.

As I understand it, these wireless video transmissions (which IINM employ an UWB connection--how else do you feed something with bandwidth similar to HDMI) have very short ranges.
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

Why does everything have to die? :cry:

deadesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 deadesa
Member since 2005 • 1706 Posts

I hearby declare a jyhad on ALL topics of platforms dying. That goes for them all; PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and PC.

AdobeArtist
This forum needs a like button so I can stop wasting bandwidth by throwing up the QFTs!! Couldn't resist though I hate the so-and-so is dying threads, worse than the graphics king threads even.
alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 alexandros1313

As I understand it, these wireless video transmissions (which IINM employ an UWB connection--how else do you feed something with bandwidth similar to HDMI) have very short ranges.HuusAsking

The answer is WHDI and it's going to change everything. Here's a review of the first video card to use wireless display connection:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1064

• Wireless HDMI video and audio streaming
  • Zero lag
  • Range of up to 100 feet, even through walls

So what this means, basically, is that you can have your PC wirelessly connected to both your monitor in your room and your TV in the living room. You get 1080p streaming at 60fps with zero controller lag, plus the wireless receiver that connects to your TV has USB ports for you to connect keyboard & mouse or controllers.

This is revolutionary stuff, a true technological breakthrough.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"] As I understand it, these wireless video transmissions (which IINM employ an UWB connection--how else do you feed something with bandwidth similar to HDMI) have very short ranges.alexandros1313

The answer is WHDI and it's going to change everything. Here's a review of the first video card to use wireless display connection:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1064

• Wireless HDMI video and audio streaming
  • Zero lag
  • Range of up to 100 feet, even through walls

So what this means, basically, is that you can have your PC wirelessly connected to both your monitor in your room and your TV in the living room. You get 1080p streaming at 60fps with zero controller lag, plus the wireless receiver that connects to your TV has USB ports for you to connect keyboard & mouse or controllers.

This is revolutionary stuff, a true technological breakthrough.

Not bad, though there are still some compromises. A full-on HDMI signal (~v1.2) can carry over 10Gbit/sec, and WHDI seems to cap at 3Gbit/sec. Still, an interesting concept. Probably just needs some more polish. We'll see what WHDI 2.0 will have to offer.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="Infinite_Access"]

[QUOTE="Infinite_Access"]

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

PC gaming has apparently been dying for the last ten years.

Def on the decline.

EIther that or consoles have continously been on the rise.

:lol: I love consolites who believe this, without ever having checked any of the facts. The reality is very different to what you believe. The console market significantly SHRANK last year while the PC market EXPANDED. :o
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

Considering how huge the MMO market by itself is? No, PC gaming is hardly dying and I doubt the mac, however trendy it'll become, will ever overtake it in the next decade.

That being said, things ARE changing. The market is changing.

For instance, as I said, the MMO market is huge. Obviously WoW has millions but then there are hundreds of MMOs that while not on par still have hundreds of thousands. Free to play, subscription based, etc. Could very well be the new face of PC gaming.

It's true a lot of developers have diverted some or most of their attention to consoles because they see money there. This is very important because development costs have skyrocketed in no small part because the demand for better graphics (a blight I like to blame on PCs). More money means they can do more, at least theoretically.

People will act boggled and point to the sensitivity of a mouse and keyboard, puzzled why anyone would take the "inferior" game pad but they forget that most average people? Don't care. As long as the game responds enough, as long as you can get your crosshairs on the other guy, aim assist or not, it's all good.

So you will see more games jump from the PC to the console (as in multiplat) with the exception of games that would have a difficult transition (like MMOs) so that companies can take advantage of larger consumer bases. It's hardly the PC or the mac or console's fault. It's just the market.

AncientDozer
Why you pretend that games that jumped from consoles to PC dont exist?
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#199 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

Sad that I'm hearing this from a "PC gamer." Wasn't PC gaming suppose to die like 3 years ago?

SwagSurf
It was supposed to die at least 10 years ago. I don't see where people get these statements.
MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 MxM
[QUOTE="SwagSurf"]

Sad that I'm hearing this from a "PC gamer." Wasn't PC gaming suppose to die like 3 years ago?

The-Mosher
It was supposed to die at least 10 years ago. I don't see where people get these statements.

10 years ago people were saying that PC games will die, because they thought that PC games will lose competition to console games, which is ridicules, because PC is better, more powerful platform (even if more expensive), so as long as there are PCs in our homes, there will be PC games. Now the argument is different - PC themselves may disappear from our homes in 10 years, and I doubt that PC will survive only as gaming platform.