PC gaming IS dying... for different reason.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#101 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

LOL someone got way too defense. I am speaking globally here. What you see globally is the move away from exclusivity all together as developers look to get the most amount of money for their game. Sorry you got mad bro. That was not my intent. Your stating the times of change of in decline for PC.. I'm stating things are in line for a more status quo for sometime.

What you will really see in the time to come is a move to everyone having multiplatform releases of games outside the first parties. Its just the best option for developers. With the way Pc hwardware is far outpacing performance needs, you will see more moderate computers and laptops being able to handle said games with ease. Again... a mutiplatform approach is more in line to whats to come outside of the whole cloud computing aspect of things. PC gaming etc will be going at the status quo for sometime here.. The big change in gaming on all platforming will be cloud base once the world infastructure can handle the load with ease. We are pretty far from that happening and sadly it may never happen if laws in place in many country's prohibit it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

pc is going more and more mobile. Who wants to keep their digital life at home?

dontshackzmii
My pc is the oposite of mobile though. 20kg+ 800d and 3 monitors.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#103 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Meh, that`s exactly what people were saying about the IPOD touch/Iphone until it recently came into the running for top portable gaming device, and still building steam.Boomshaffted

And yet both Sony and Nintendo are producing handheld devices with traditional button inputs and not going straight for touch-screen only games. They are different markets... and there are very few games on the iPhone that come close to the depth of many Nintendo or Sony portable games. iPhone games are generally for on-the-go casual entertainment... not actual investments of time like Pokemon.

The iPad is to PC's as the iPhone is to the DS and PSP. It is a different market that appeals to a different type of gamer.

mike_on_mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#104 mike_on_mic
Member since 2004 • 886 Posts
I don't see this happening, until, devices like the iPad will overtake a PC in terms of graphics. PC games like their PC gaming rigs due to the superior graphics if can provide to them running in very high resolutions. iPads aren't a replacement to this, they are a new entry into portable gaming and their competition is more the PSP and DS than any console or PC. I saw someone playing need for speed on an iPad and using the device as a steering wheel, though inovative, seemed annoying from perspective, as the screen you were looking at is tilting, every gaming platform I have ever gamed on has not had the screeen moving without you moving in conjuction with it. I don't see this platform overtaking PCs or Consoles any time soon.
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#105 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
No no no no. There's so much wrong in that post. iPad will NEVER be a replacement for anything. It's a useless gadget that can provide 10 to 15 minutes of amusement and then be put back into the box it came on to never be used again. It provides ZERO productivity and really can't be used for anything in particular.nintendog66
Do you own one?
Blixxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 Blixxed
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendog66"]No no no no. There's so much wrong in that post. iPad will NEVER be a replacement for anything. It's a useless gadget that can provide 10 to 15 minutes of amusement and then be put back into the box it came on to never be used again. It provides ZERO productivity and really can't be used for anything in particular.NAPK1NS
Do you own one?

He probably doesn't, I love my ipad.
cyanblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 cyanblues
Member since 2004 • 312 Posts

until iPads etc can do word processing or photoshop like a pc can, home desktop/laptops will never go away

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Why is it the ridiculous "consoles are dying" thread got locked, but this just as ridiculous thread is still open?

Anyway, I got a Android Tablet not too long ago, which is just a cheaper and less locked down IPAD. It does its job for what it does, but anyone claiming they will compete with PC are insane or flame baiting.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"][QUOTE="nintendog66"]No no no no. There's so much wrong in that post. iPad will NEVER be a replacement for anything. It's a useless gadget that can provide 10 to 15 minutes of amusement and then be put back into the box it came on to never be used again. It provides ZERO productivity and really can't be used for anything in particular.Blixxed
Do you own one?

He probably doesn't, I love my ipad.

Same, man. I think its really easy to hate on the iPad if you don't own one; they're completely frivolous items but so wonderful to own. To say that you can't be productive on one is incorrect. I take notes for my films, read books, manage my schedule and watch movies on the iPad all the time. It's one of my favorite pieces of technology, actually. :?
Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#110 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

The devices like iPad will rule at home.

MxM
this is where the thread failed. curse apple and there overly dumbed downed computers.
icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

Why is it the ridiculous "consoles are dying" thread got locked, but this just as ridiculous thread is still open?

Anyway, I got a Android Tablet not too long ago, which is just a cheaper and less locked down IPAD. It does its job for what it does, but anyone claiming they will compete with PC are insane or flame baiting.

AnnoyedDragon

fairly one sided on this site alright isnt it, someone hates on consoles (joking might i add) and his thread gets locked but these ever present "pc is dying" threads are never locked.

as for the ipad...its a big ipod touch whats so special about it? ive seen one been used and its a complete and utter waste of money

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

No no no no. There's so much wrong in that post. iPad will NEVER be a replacement for anything. It's a useless gadget that can provide 10 to 15 minutes of amusement and then be put back into the box it came on to never be used again. It provides ZERO productivity and really can't be used for anything in particular.nintendog66

:roll: We use ours everyday, My GF love the thing, you have no idea what you are talking about, the Ipad is a awesome device.

dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

Same, man. I think its really easy to hate on the iPad if you don't own one; they're completely frivolous items but so wonderful to own. To say that you can't be productive on one is incorrect. I take notes for my films, read books, manage my schedule and watch movies on the iPad all the time. It's one of my favorite pieces of technology, actually. :?NAPK1NS
Yea but you can do all those things on a netbook that costs less and has a better game selection. The ipad isn't going to be as popular as the iphone. Typing on the same screen you are looking at is annoying and leaves fingerprints.

XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#114 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

It's definetaley slowing down....

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

:roll: We use ours everyday, My GF love the thing, you have no idea what you are talking about, the Ipad is a awesome device.

Advid-Gamer

The iPad is just way over priced.

There are tablets that are out and coming out that are many times more powerful, offer much more and are cheaper.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 AnnoyedDragon

fairly one sided on this site alright isnt it, someone hates on consoles (joking might i add) and his thread gets locked but these ever present "pc is dying" threads are never locked.

icyseanfitz

Never seen a console gamer get in trouble for calling all PC gamers thieves either, which is quite the statement when you think about it. I've been moderated for calling a console gamer a hypocrit, but it's ok to declare all PC gamers pirates?

Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendog66"]No no no no. There's so much wrong in that post. iPad will NEVER be a replacement for anything. It's a useless gadget that can provide 10 to 15 minutes of amusement and then be put back into the box it came on to never be used again. It provides ZERO productivity and really can't be used for anything in particular.Advid-Gamer

What do you do on it that's actually productive?

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 icyseanfitz

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

AnnoyedDragon

Never seen a console gamer get in trouble for calling all PC gamers thieves either, which is quite the statement when you think about it. I've been moderated for calling a console gamer a hypocrit, but it's ok to declare all PC gamers pirates?

dont even bother you will probably get modded just for pointing this kind of stuff out i know i have been before

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

That's a creative answer. Its wrong but hey, I haven't heard that one before tbh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

Hakkai007

There are tablets that are out and coming out that are many times more powerful, offer much more and are cheaper.

I got mine for 396.00, have a family member that works for apple. Haters gonna hate, and there are tons of haters on this site.
DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts

XboxGuy1537
No it's not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="nintendog66"]No no no no. There's so much wrong in that post. iPad will NEVER be a replacement for anything. It's a useless gadget that can provide 10 to 15 minutes of amusement and then be put back into the box it came on to never be used again. It provides ZERO productivity and really can't be used for anything in particular.rpgs_shall_rule

What do you mean productive? What do you do on your video game systems that is productive? WE use it like a normal computer, it is connected to the internet. I dont see what your point is.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="rpgs_shall_rule"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

This is a gaming site. Are you seriously calling technology out for not being productive?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

Advid-Gamer

What do you mean productive? What do you do on your video game systems that is productive? Dont ask stupid questions.

Productive as in, used to a achieve a relevant task obviously. Video game systems are used to play video games, its not productive in the literal sense but they are meant for entertainment purposes. I think the point was that an iPad doesn't excell in any relevant area that other devices may. IE, Computer, better for work, internet browsing, watching movies, game systems, better for actually playing games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="rpgs_shall_rule"]

ActicEdge

What do you mean productive? What do you do on your video game systems that is productive? Dont ask stupid questions.

Productive as in, used to a achieve a relevant task obviously. Video game systems are used to play video games, its not productive in the literal sense but they are meant for entertainment purposes. I think the point was that an iPad doesn't excell in any relevant area that other devices may. IE, Computer, better for work, internet browsing, watching movies, game systems, better for actually playing games.

If you people dont know how or what you can use a Ipad for, there is no point in discussing it. Nothing but haters on this site and I am sure they just want to bash the Ipad because they dont have one. This site is getting boring.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#126 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
This site is getting boring.Advid-Gamer
You can easily leave :?
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 millerlight89

XboxGuy1537
And the Xbox isn't :P Well at least it is in good games, you guys still get those Kinect games :lol:
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] What do you mean productive? What do you do on your video game systems that is productive? Dont ask stupid questions.Advid-Gamer

If you people dont know how or what you can use a Ipad for, there is no point in discussing it. Nothing but haters on this site and I am sure they just want to bash the Ipad because they dont have one. This site is getting boring.

What at all makes you think I don't know? Your reasoning isn't good, you think people on a website, some who buy tons of games andsome with collections hundreds of games big can't afford an iPad? Lol, please.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 icyseanfitz

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] What do you mean productive? What do you do on your video game systems that is productive? Dont ask stupid questions.Advid-Gamer

what can you do on an ipad that you cant on a netbook? which by the way will be much better speced for the price of an ipad, you have a somewhat biased opinion seeing as someone in your family works for apple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

What at all makes you think I don't know? Your reasoning isn't good, you think people on a website, some who buy tons of games andsome with collections hundreds of games big can't afford an iPad? Lol, please.

I dont need any reasoning, I am not trying to hype the Ipad, I\ only qouted a guy guy saying it was useless trash and said it was not, I use mine every day, I dont need to convince anyone of any thing. Dont like it dont buy it.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]This site is getting boring.Advid-Gamer

You can easily leave :?

I dont post here near as much, but whats it to you? Get off my %^$$ back MF

Why you mad ? :P :lol:
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#134 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Once I saw Ipad mentioned there, I automatically marked this as a troll thread. But here I am thinking how this thread made it to 7 pages

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] I dont post here near as much, but whats it to you? Get off my %^$$ back MF

Advid-Gamer

Why you mad ? :P :lol:

I have noticed that your soul purpose on this site is to annoy people.

Yet I'm not the one calling people this site dumb asses. What is wrong with this picture? :|

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] If you people dont know how or what you can use a Ipad for, there is no point in discussing it. Nothing but haters on this site and I am sure they just want to bash the Ipad because they dont have one. This site is getting boring.Advid-Gamer

I dont need any reasoning, I am not trying to hype the Ipad, I\ only qouted a guy guy saying it was useless trash and said it was not, I use mine every day, I dont need to convince anyone of any thing. Dont like it dont buy it.

No one said you were hyping the pad, I simply was saying that money to buy gadgets isn't a problem for a lot of people on this site which you inferred was. The pad is not trash at all, its just not very needed for a lot of people around these parts it seems, I don't see why you have to be all like"get of my ****ing back" and "come at me bro" about it :?

rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 rpgs_shall_rule

Advid-Gamer

What do you mean productive? What do you do on your video game systems that is productive? WE use it like a normal computer, it is connected to the internet. I dont see what your point is.

I don't do anything productive on video game consoles, as they're designed to waste time. I do however do homework, send e-mails, do research, study and such on my PC. Are you saying you do all those things on your Ipad?

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#139 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
In ten years, who knows what will happen? It's possible we are all using Onlive by then.
legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts
pc gaming is in decline because there is not enough powerful software to really take advantage of the hardware.
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 rpgs_shall_rule

pc gaming is in decline because there is not enough powerful software to really take advantage of the hardware.legol1

And console gaming is in decline because there is no powerful software and it uses ancient hardware?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

gtx 580

It's only been 5 years since the last consoles, and look at what the PC has now - GDDR-5:o

When the PS3 was released, they had just begun placing 512 MB of GDDR-3 on GPU cards.

With innovations from nVidia and ATI, no way PC desktops will die out.:lol:

topgunmv

Why do nvidia cards have such random memory amounts?

Nothing random about it. That's 1.5GB (more properly, 1.5GiB).

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 AnnoyedDragon

pc gaming is in decline because there is not enough powerful software to really take advantage of the hardware.legol1

So to break down your argument, you are using the reduction in high end PC games this generation; to argue that PC is in decline? Essentially saying that developers lack of support for PC in this area, is a indication of developers not wanting to support it.

Of course, what if I were to point out that the exact same thing is happening on consoles? That the vast majority of console hardware utilizing games are paid for by the console 1st party, not the 3rd party. Therefore creating the illusion of market support where it does not exist.

Common sense suggests that if PC and consoles are showing the exact same thing, once you remove the artificial supplementation of the 1st party, then there are factors outside of the individual platforms that are at play here. Namely that development costs have skyrocketed, and 3rd party developers flight to safety is cross platform development or cheaper games.

The impact being a reduction in high end 3rd party exclusives across all platforms.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="legol1"]pc gaming is in decline because there is not enough powerful software to really take advantage of the hardware.AnnoyedDragon

So to break down your argument, you are using the reduction in high end PC games this generation; to argue that PC is in decline? Essentially saying that developers lack of support for PC in this area, is a indication of developers not wanting to support it.

Of course, what if I were to point out that the exact same thing is happening on consoles? That the vast majority of console hardware utilizing games are paid for by the console 1st party, not the 3rd party. Therefore creating the illusion of market support where it does not exist.

Common sense suggests that if PC and consoles are showing the exact same thing, once you remove the artificial supplementation of the 1st party, then there are factors outside of the individual platforms that are at play here. Namely that development costs have skyrocketed, and 3rd party developers flight to safety is cross platform development or cheaper games.

The impact being a reduction in high end 3rd party exclusives across all platforms.

The opposite has been happening recently anyways. More and more multiplates are getting makeovers for the pc version.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 AnnoyedDragon

The opposite has been happening recently anyways. More and more multiplates are getting makeovers for the pc version.

topgunmv

I wouldn't say makeovers, just ATI/NVIDIA sponsorship; throwing a few extra features in to justify their more up to date hardware. Frankly I think higher resolution art assets would add a lot more to the visual experience than GPU physics, ambient occlusion and tessellation. Hell, PC has memory to spare when it comes to console ports.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

Advid-Gamer

I got mine for 396.00, have a family member that works for apple. Haters gonna hate, and there are tons of haters on this site.

I personally don't hate it. I just fell it's not ready for me. Call me again when it gets color e-ink and a better battery. I want to be able to use the thing as a viable e-book reader, indoors or out.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

icyseanfitz

what can you do on an ipad that you cant on a netbook? which by the way will be much better speced for the price of an ipad, you have a somewhat biased opinion seeing as someone in your family works for apple

Try reading an e-book with one hand. I happen to be an avid reader and I love my Sony Reader. But I'd be willing to jump for a color e-ink device so I can start adding comic books to my collection.
Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts

The personal computer will never die, it can only take on a different form. Sonn.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

The personal computer will never die, it can only take on a different form. Sonn.

Cruxis27
But will the PC always be a Computer if it take on a new form? Oh well i guess we wont be around by the time that kind of change happen anyway. :P
XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

I am a PC gamer, and PC is my prefered platform for games, as long as they will exist. However, looking into my crystal ball I can see that the PC gaming will die, because home PC themselves will die! The devices like iPad will rule at home, and as a result PC will be used mostly for work and at work. There will be less and less incentives to produce PC game, at the same time more and more games will come to iPad like devices.

It will not happen tomorow, but in 10 years I will bet that most homes will not have PC, but rather iPad-like device, or something build into TV...

MxM
Now why the hell would I prefer an iPad or other mobile devices to a PC when it comes to video games? No other device has surpassed a desktop in terms of computing power. The iPad is no different. So find another reason why PC gaming is dying.