Official Halo Reach Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#151 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Just to clear things up, they are not bad, they are pretty good. The graphics just don't blow my mind. It looks like Halo Reach has been done in the Unreal 3.0 engine (which I know it hasnt). Uses similar tech.

The graphics are much improved over the last game AND we see the ability for very large enviroments which makes me all happy inside.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

[QUOTE="bochoy"]Perhaps it's the art direction/style that's not appealing to you?Wasdie

There is this really fake quality about all of the Halo games. They have a cartoonish overtone and the graphics engine has TONS of rough edges (tons of sprites, low res textures, bad enviromental models).

Watching the trailer I saw nothing to spectacular. I mean people complained about the lack of color in Killzone 2 and Halo Reach had this really dark overtone to it. Don't get me wrong I am excited for the game, I love Halo, I am just saying that the graphics didn't blow me away one bit.

But if the game turns out to have enviorments bigger then ODST, with more enemies and lots of physics stuff going on, will you accept the visuals then? :o

RonnieLottinSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 RonnieLottinSF
Member since 2007 • 1474 Posts

Halo games, much like GTA games, aren't about the graphics. Do they have decent graphics? Sure. Are they mind blowing like Gears, UC, MGS4, etc? No. Personally I thought it looked great if that is what the actual game is going to look like. According to the reports, it was a cut scene directly from the game and yes that is what the in game graphics will look like so if that is the case, it will be the best looking Halo game ever.

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts

Halo games, much like GTA games, aren't about the graphics. Do they have decent graphics? Sure. Are they mind blowing like Gears, UC, MGS4, etc? No. Personally I thought it looked great if that is what the actual game is going to look like. According to the reports, it was a cut scene directly from the game and yes that is what the in game graphics will look like so if that is the case, it will be the best looking Halo game ever.

RonnieLottinSF
did you play gta 4 it had great graphics for the time.
CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 CZVA
Member since 2009 • 1166 Posts
move along people its just another halo game, nothing to see here.
Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

move along people its just another halo game, nothing to see here.CZVA

Actually, there is a trailer, so there is something to see.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
lol is funny that everytime a new 360 game is shown and has great graphics the other fanboys have the need to put the graphics,don't guess i think they feel insecure thats why they bash it,why does always these fanboys need to say ps3 games only look good? UC2 looks barely better than the first one and only cut scenes look good because they use higher poly character models than the ones in gameplay,lol at the comments no ingene or CGI,when is all in engine..at the end of the day they will get owned again.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

So am I blind, or does Halo Reach look just average for graphics?

Wasdie

I think it looks quite good, although I'm hesitant to get excited before seeing some actual gameplay footage. I still remember how big the gap was between the Halo 3 reveal trailer and the actual gameplay graphics....

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Rza_rectah

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Teufelhuhn

I think it looks quite good, although I'm hesitant to get excited before seeing some actual gameplay footage. I still remember how big the gap was between the Halo 3 reveal trailer and the actual gameplay graphics....

this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv6F5k5g9T4?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50699 Posts

Wasdie
I wouldn't say average, it does look good. It's a little too shiny for my tastes though.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Rza_rectah

Nah this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXrYSEOg3Ro.

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Rza_rectah

[QUOTE="Rza_rectah"]

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

Teufelhuhn

Nah this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXrYSEOg3Ro.

IRemember this one it's kind of reminiscent of the reach except it's the covenant fly to the fight instead of the humans

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Amazing trailer, I like team sparta, darker theme, the music, the cinematic feel to it and it looks to have a better story than the rest of the shooters out there.

not amazing graphically like they said though, it is a major improvement over Halo 3 and ODST, the lighting alone is making making it way , the character models are better, however they need more work on the character models and the environments.

Compared to the industry's highest console standards, it is far behind.

CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 CZVA
UC2 looks barely better than the first one and only cut scenes look good because they use higher poly character models than the ones in gameplay,lol at the comments no ingene or CGI,when is all in engine..at the end of the day they will get owned again.Tessellation
ultimate form of fanboyism. you obviously havent even played U2.
RonnieLottinSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 RonnieLottinSF
Member since 2007 • 1474 Posts

[QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"]

Rza_rectah

did you play gta 4 it had great graphics for the time.

It had ok graphics compared to Gears of War, MGS4 and UC which was my point. Halo 3 had ok graphics as well compared to those games. If you judge them by themselves, they do have a great graphics.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#166 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="Tessellation"]UC2 looks barely better than the first one and only cut scenes look good because they use higher poly character models than the ones in gameplay,lol at the comments no ingene or CGI,when is all in engine..at the end of the day they will get owned again.CZVA

so your earlier comment about halo reach is invalid, cos you havn't played it
CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 CZVA
[QUOTE="CZVA"][QUOTE="Tessellation"]UC2 looks barely better than the first one and only cut scenes look good because they use higher poly character models than the ones in gameplay,lol at the comments no ingene or CGI,when is all in engine..at the end of the day they will get owned again.delta3074

so your earlier comment about halo reach is invalid, cos you havn't played it

But Im not talking about gameplay. Im talking about graphics.
Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Stats_
Member since 2009 • 2352 Posts

Lol at that one Lemming, and a few others, who were calling this the nest graphics king, and the game to show off the 360's power.

It looks rather average, comapred to a lot of upcomming games, and recently released titles.

wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 wayne_kar
Member since 2009 • 2090 Posts
[QUOTE="Tessellation"]UC2 looks barely better than the first one and only cut scenes look good because they use higher poly character models than the ones in gameplay,lol at the comments no ingene or CGI,when is all in engine..at the end of the day they will get owned again.CZVA

he's right about the character models cut scene's in U2 have i higher poly count than the ones in the game.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#170 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Amazing trailer, I like team sparta, darker theme, the music, the cinematic feel to it and it looks to have a better story than the rest of the shooters out there.

not amazing graphically like they said though, it is a major improvement over Halo 3 and ODST, the lighting alone is making making it way , the character models are better, however they need more work on the character models and the environments.

HAZE-Unit

Agreed. It's a beautiful game, but it's far from graphics king.

Though graphics are the least thing I would worry about from a Halo game.

shoemen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#171 shoemen22
Member since 2007 • 466 Posts
Why is everybody going on about the graphics of this game its good i agree and you could play it with ease without a thought of it being ugly but at the same time its miles away from being close to the graphics king. the best halo game for me was still the first game the others just seemed to be recycled halo advertisement although i did like ODST just for the co op in that game
wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 wayne_kar
Why is everybody going on about the graphics of this game its good i agree and you could play it with ease without a thought of it being ugly but at the same time its miles away from being close to the graphics king. the best halo game for me was still the first game the others just seemed to be recycled halo advertisement although i did like ODST just for the co op in that game shoemen22
a million miles away. really. a million miles away. id say its in the top 3 console graphics easy, and the lighting its as good as anything ive seen on a console.
Foxhound_spy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Foxhound_spy
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts
Well IMO HR graphic is not that great but not that bad like fanboys here kept arguing. But to me it`s just SO-SO. HR graphic is still years behind MW2, KZ2 and U2 graphic.
Eggimannd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Eggimannd
Member since 2009 • 1734 Posts

The graphics weren't anything mindblowing but they were pretty good.

I'm sure the game is going to be great but the trailer wasn't anything "epic" like some people are saying.

Anyways here's a little sig I made. If anyone wants they can use it (First Halo fanboy first serve):

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 BodyElite
Member since 2009 • 2678 Posts

HAZE-Unit

Given that this is probably an early alpha cutscene, it looks damn near amazing! Love the realistic look.By far some of the best lighting ive seen on a console game. Facial models look a little different, but detailed and i like it. Also pay attention to the character's animations as they move. Near perfect! This will probably be the most polished highly budgeted game to come out this gen

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 BodyElite

Well IMO HR graphic is not that great but not that bad like fanboys here kept arguing. But to me it`s just SO-SO. HR graphic is still years behind MW2, KZ2 and U2 graphic.Foxhound_spy

MW2?!? :lol:\You do know that MW2 uses a modified Quake 3 engine, right? MW2 has terrible graphics. And no, it isnt that far behind KZ2 at the moment, and its still in alpha

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 BodyElite

Lol at that one Lemming, and a few others, who were calling this the nest graphics king, and the game to show off the 360's power.

It looks rather average, comapred to a lot of upcomming games, and recently released titles.

Stats_

You do know that Reach still has a year of development time left?

Its funny. Bungie shows off the first early clip of thier new game and the fanboys that dont own a 360 start claiming that it doesnt look as good graphically as current, finished titles that are on their system of choice like U2 or KZ2.

Since when did we judge alpha graphics as being the final graphics?

The most successful franchise ever + the most popular game developer ever + the next installment = a ton of hate from fanboys over the smallest things

CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 CZVA

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

BodyElite

Given that this is probably an early alpha cutscene, it looks damn near amazing! Love the realistic look.By far some of the best lighting ive seen on a console game. Facial models look a little different, but detailed and i like it. Also pay attention to the character's animations as they move. Near perfect! This will probably be the most polished highly budgeted game to come out this gen

Thats seriously the best lighting youve seen in a console game? And realistic?
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#179 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts
[QUOTE="CZVA"][QUOTE="BodyElite"]

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

nah I think it looks really good. the characte models look as though thay can stand up to the best. look closely they are so freaking detailed. the lighting does an amazing job of showing off those details. and judging from the shots that I posted in the opening thread, the vid is very very close to in game. and the game hasn't even hit lpha yet. lets give Reach a chance we all know it'll play well and it sound good so far now I'm positive it'll be one of the 360's best, just wait for more liable evidence.
wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 wayne_kar
[QUOTE="BodyElite"]

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

CZVA

i agree with him. the lighting is amazing as good as any ive seen on a console
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 delta3074
[QUOTE="CZVA"][QUOTE="BodyElite"]Given that this is probably an early alpha cutscene, it looks damn near amazing! Love the realistic look.By far some of the best lighting ive seen on a console game. Facial models look a little different, but detailed and i like it. Also pay attention to the character's animations as they move. Near perfect! This will probably be the most polished highly budgeted game to come out this genwayne_kar

the lighting is always good on halo games, halo 3 used high dynamic range (HDR) lighting, the graphics wher not too great but the lighting was spectacular
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

Wow, the trailer really looked amazing.

If the game comes out looking like that they'll beat KZ2's gfx. Yet i don't think it looks better than U2...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I don't really care about this sort of trailer. What I want... is gameplay.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

I don't really care about this sort of trailer. What I want... is gameplay.Jandurin
Nah, gameplay, shmameplay,Halo has always been about teh graphics. :P

I'll go on record and say the gameplay visuals live up to the opening cinematic shown.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]I don't really care about this sort of trailer. What I want... is gameplay.SecretPolice

I'll go on record and say the gameplay visuals live up to the opening cinematic shown.

Don't really care about that either. I want to actually see the gameplay :P
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]I don't really care about this sort of trailer. What I want... is gameplay.SecretPolice

i was not impressed, considering all the hype behind it. It looks fine, but its not going to dethrone Uncharted 2. Unless, of course, this trailer is running on an unfinished engine or something.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 delta3074
day one purchase for me, let's face it, it's not going to be rubbish is it?
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

More than 180 posts and people are still stuck on the graphics?

People are complaining that there's no gameplay footage, yet ignore the hints about gameplay in trailer. I'm surprised that no one's talking about that. The possibility of gameplay different from the other Halo shooters... even more so than ODST... that doesn't pique anyone's interest?

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 mayceV
[QUOTE="h575309"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

I don't really care about this sort of trailer. What I want... is gameplay.Jandurin

i was not impressed, considering all the hype behind it. It looks fine, but its not going to dethrone Uncharted 2. Unless, of course, this trailer is running on an unfinished engine or something.

they got 8 months lets see how this pans out either way i got what I wanted- HD spartans! and reach! but I have a feeling that in game will look better than that. look at the pre alpha pics i put up they are on par with the trailer. kinda like Kz2 in game were better than the cinimatics because the camera angles did a bad job at showing of the detail. and the post they were at was a very bland place lets wait for a city trailer or something along those lines, a place that has the potetial for details cause the trailer was pretty inconsistant. but I don't want to nit pick because i only noticed after the first few times I whached it. but also realize the scale of halo, imagine split screen (its halo it has to have it.) and imagine flying in a banshee or hornet. Other than those complaints these are the up sides to the trailer. magnificent lighting. very detailed character models. great animations. gives a good sense of scale. nice new daarker art style. and good voice acting
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#190 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Teufelhuhn

To be fair they did it like ODST this time concerning the cutscene. Ofcourse they probably added Anti Aliasing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

The possibility of gameplay different from the other Halo shooters... even more so than ODST... that doesn't pique anyone's interest?

VoodooHak
It does, which is why all I care about is seeing some damn gameplay :evil:
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#192 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
[QUOTE="wayne_kar"][QUOTE="CZVA"] Thats seriously the best lighting youve seen in a console game? And realistic?delta3074

the lighting is always good on halo games, halo 3 used high dynamic range (HDR) lighting, the graphics wher not too great but the lighting was spectacular

I will be a happy camper if they keep the HDR lighting, but kids who do not know a thing about game engines will be like "LOL gwafics suk" As long as they are better than Halo 3s (which they are) and keep the awesome scale that Halo has had since CE then hooray!
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 mayceV
[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

More than 180 posts and people are still stuck on the graphics?

People are complaining that there's no gameplay footage, yet ignore the hints about gameplay in trailer. I'm surprised that no one's talking about that. The possibility of gameplay different from the other Halo shooters... even more so than ODST... that doesn't pique anyone's interest?

I'll start! I think the biggest change is that the game will be more tactical. hence the health bars of your friendliesalong side the radar. they brought what seems to be a health bar underneath the shield bar aswell. I think you won't be as storng as MC if they are aiming for tactical. other than that I think it'll be more intense that halo 3 and ODST and a whole lot of new weapons. anyone notice the new assult rifle on the lone wolf's back? it ahas a scope! but hopefully they don't put iron sighting thats not halo.
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 mayceV

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

SparkyProtocol

To be fair they did it like ODST this time concerning the cutscene. Ofcourse they probably added Anti Aliasing.

yeah or they did a new thing using the tesselator. anyone notice how everything glows dispelling most jaggies? but I think its in game because there are a few problems with some shadows but thats getting way too nit picky as you have to anylize everything pretty deep to notice.

baseballman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 baseballman123
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

i don't get why people are in awe at this trailer...

wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 wayne_kar

i don't get why people are in awe at this trailer...

baseballman123
because it looks great.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]I don't really care about this sort of trailer. What I want... is gameplay.h575309

First, I agree with Vodoo on the game-play elements are all important. Second, as I said in another thread, Halo hasn't been part of a ... serious... graphics king discussion since the launch of Halo CE so that's somethin but yeah, I don't think it needs to surpass U2 but it's great that Reach looks like it will be much improved over previous Halo's on the visuals side and I really have no doubt Bungie will nail it on the game-play side where it really counts.

Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Doctor-McNinja
Member since 2009 • 1515 Posts

I thought this was interesting, especially in light of all the attempts to downplay the graphical improvement between Halo 3 and Reach:

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

move along people its just another halo game, nothing to see here.CZVA

Move along people. Just another fanboy hating on a successful (and a well deserved success) gaming series. Nothing to see here :roll:

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="h575309"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Nah, gameplay, shmameplay,Halo has always been about teh graphics. :P

First, I agree with Vodoo on the game-play elements are all important. Second, as I said in another thread, Halo hasn't been part of a ... serious... graphics king discussion since the launch of Halo CE so that's somethin but yeah, I don't think it needs to surpass U2 but it's great that Reach looks like it will be much improved over previous Halo's on the visuals side and I really have no doubt Bungie will nail it on the game-play side where it really counts.

Theres no doubt in my mind it will be an awesome game. I thought Halo 3 looked fine, but it was by no means at the top of the pack. Im more looking forward to the changes in the game mechanics, hopefully with more coop based gameplay.