Official Halo Reach Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#401 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]I'm not sure you'll be giving the orders (at least not initially) if we're really considering squad based combat for Reach. It's not like everyone saluted you when you walked in. However, a squad based Halo game similar to Republic Commando would be sooooowin.VoodooHak

Natal using Sync tech so giving verbal commands may be possible - just a thought.

I'm hoping NATAL is an optional supplement to traditional controls, not an entire replacement. Voice commands is one thing, but gesture-based controls would be interesting. Imagine in a stealth segment, you can issue command via gesture. Could be interesting if done right.

Yeah, I like the possibilities and agree, optional FTW.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#402 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

optional FTW.

SecretPolice
optional is dangerous. if they're trying to showcase natal, and make something optional that is worse than the normal input then it makes natal look really bad.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#403 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

optional FTW.

Jandurin

optional is dangerous. if they're trying to showcase natal, and make something optional that is worse than the normal input then it makes natal look really bad.

That's why Natal will be relegated to the 360's brand of party and mini game varieties - see the E3 demo. I just do NOT WANT it for my Halo games.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

watched the trailer in HD last night on XBL, and it definitely is a much needed improvement over ODST. Should be great looking, and I like the darker tone, but Im gonna be annoyed if the art is dark KZ2/GeoW look of war. Keep it colorful Bungie.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#405 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
The Breakdown of the trailer is pretty cool. I didn't even notice the girl had a bionic arm :P
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

watched the trailer in HD last night on XBL, and it definitely is a much needed improvement over ODST. Should be great looking, and I like the darker tone, but Im gonna be annoyed if the art is dark KZ2/GeoW look of war. Keep it colorful Bungie.

h575309

I don't see Bungie opting for such a drastic change in overall visual style. I think music, dialogue, and the events themselves will define it as 'dark'. They have a very good grasp of the use of color, so I doubt they'll just smack players up side the head with the ol' dark dark and gritty color filter for the entire game.

No if, for instance, there was a setpiece moment like the player is near an area getting glassed from orbit, then yes, it's going to look like you got enveloped in a volcanic cloud of ash. :P But that would still be cool.

I personally hope to see some forests, some nice big wooded areas, where you can actually get lost or not immediatly know where the enemy is.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

I've been wanting D-pad squad controls since Halo 2. :evil: "Marine! Get in the warthog! Get. In. The. ****ing. Warthog!" "Take this rocket launcher - NO DON'T RUN AHEAD!" *marine dies*Mordred19

I lol'd :lol:

Ah, I can relate, oh yes I can.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#408 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

[QUOTE="h575309"]

Mordred19

I don't see Bungie opting for such a drastic change in overall visual style. I think music, dialogue, and the events themselves will define it as 'dark'. They have a very good grasp of the use of color, so I doubt they'll just smack players up side the head with the ol' dark dark and gritty color filter for the entire game.

No if, for instance, there was a setpiece moment like the player is near an area getting glassed from orbit, then yes, it's going to look like you got enveloped in a volcanic cloud of ash. :P But that would still be cool.

I personally hope to see some forests, some nice big wooded areas, where you can actually get lost or not immediatly know where the enemy is.

set pieces I would love to see in Halo reach:

a city battle, but not just any city battle, imagine if, as we saw in the trailer, a giant explosion threw tons of dust and debris into the air causeing low visiblity. durring which a team of elites dropped down to destroy any survivors.

a forst battle, anyone remeber halo 3's forests? the one that come to my mine is the time when MC and arbitor went out to destroy the shield generators. there you rode on a vehicle through a gorgous forset. the only problem was that that part felt really linear. now imagine the level being a bit more open and with the lighting engine that we saw in the cinimatic.

how bout a battle in the hornet transport ships in that trailer. there you are in the copter unloading humdreds of bullets into the enemies below. (the cool thing is that those ships have 2 gattling guns each. I sense this one may come ture.

or how bout a set piece thats like this one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O-ebT4MqqM

that would be insane!

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I'm not sure you'll be giving the orders (at least not initially) if we're really considering squad based combat for Reach. It's not like everyone saluted you when you walked in. However, a squad based Halo game similar to Republic Commando would be sooooo win.musicalmac
I was thinking the exact same. Republic Commando is my favorite SW game. Add Bungie behind a game like RC and it should be a fantasic game.
tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 tikki25x
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

its good that people are actually discussing the gameplay instead of the graphics finally. if the game does use Natal im sure it,ll be optional. it could be useful for certain actions, who knows. did anyone notice that the Sniper seems to be wearing a gillie suit of some kind. if you look close you can see the fabric on his back. camo maybe? and i think his voice kinda sounded like Batista from Dexter. probably not tho.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Speaking of Voice Actors. I want Mal and the other Firefly people to come back from Halo Reach :lol: I loved hearing their voices.
Gta3-fan334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 Gta3-fan334
Member since 2004 • 1499 Posts

Speaking of Voice Actors. I want Mal and the other Firefly people to come back from Halo Reach :lol: I loved hearing their voices.Jandurin
You mean ODST? Unless.......:o

Trmpt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 Trmpt
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts

It kind of makes me wonder if Bungie will implement a better armor customization system. That would be rock awesome.

rtswiz

I think it will be like customizable classes and armor.

Sniper will have customizable traits that would fit for a sniper; ie: different kinds of sniper rifles or other types of scoped weapons. You know what? It wouldn't surprise me if the sniper class is the only class that has scoped weapons, or has a battle rifle with a long range scope while the assault class has a much more limited scope.

That guy with the knife is probably focused on beating down elites with brute force alone. So will it probably have I don't know...different kinds of knives maybe?...More damage made by melee weapons?...Specific types of weapons made only for that class such as one that is made to just slice something up; Makes me think about the blade attached to that Brute gun that shoots grenades, powerful from a reasonable distance and deadly up close. (at least in Halo 2 it was lol)

And so on with what ever other classes there will be. This probably means that there will be more weapons than ever before. I wonder how they are going to balance it. Will the sniper class be able to pick up a weapon that was dropped by someone in the brute force class? Probably. Mostly because it would suck being in a match where you had to defend the base from an entire team of people with more health...Yeah that is what they will probably do as well. Classes will have various amounts of health, maybe even move at different speeds or be able to jump higher than others.

Back to defending the base from knife wielding juggernauts...if you had do defend against that with only a team that is mostly made up of people with that have less health it would make me want hit the eject button real quick. So being able to pick up a few weapons from another kind of class would help out a lot.

But just brings up another question. Will there always be certain types of weapons that pop up on the map? Or will there be something like a system that 'reads' what types of classes each team has and puts those types of weapons near their base? And then they could have the middle of the map which is no mans land have basically the same weapons every time based on the gametype.

That would make it better for teams that feel overpowered by the other team because they all chose a certain type of class that doesn't fair well with the enemy. They can either pick up a more suitable weapon from the neutral area or attempt to axe a member of the other team for their weapon.

It's going to be cool to see how they balance everything out.

It would be cool if there are class specific icons that can be put onto the armor as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]Speaking of Voice Actors. I want Mal and the other Firefly people to come back from Halo Reach :lol: I loved hearing their voices.Gta3-fan334

oh, lol yeah. back from ODST... FOR Halo Reach
tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415 tikki25x
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

heres a good question i havent seen asked. were those leaked shots real or not? im starting to think they were. even tho they were horrible quality.

Mark36111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 Mark36111
Member since 2004 • 563 Posts
I'm not sure you'll be giving the orders (at least not initially) if we're really considering squad based combat for Reach. It's not like everyone saluted you when you walked in. However, a squad based Halo game similar to Republic Commando would be sooooo win.musicalmac
I guess this means that it will be a bad thing if everyone else in your squad dies within the first 30 seconds of every mission like in Halo 1/2/3.. Big change there. Hopefully your teammates in Reach aren't fresh out of the UNSC Infantry Training Regiment for the Mentally Disabled like they usually are,
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]I'm not sure you'll be giving the orders (at least not initially) if we're really considering squad based combat for Reach. It's not like everyone saluted you when you walked in. However, a squad based Halo game similar to Republic Commando would be sooooowin.Mark36111
I guess this means that it will be a bad thing if everyone else in your squad dies within the first 30 seconds of every mission like in Halo 1/2/3.. Big change there. Hopefully your teammates in Reach aren't fresh out of the UNSC Infantry Training Regiment for the Mentally Disabled like they usually are,

I must admit, I chuckled.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

[QUOTE="Gta3-fan334"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]Speaking of Voice Actors. I want Mal and the other Firefly people to come back from Halo Reach :lol: I loved hearing their voices.Jandurin

oh, lol yeah. back from ODST... FOR Halo Reach

Foward to the Past?

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
They discussed this on the Hotspot and I agree: Anyone else think that the different armor types look silly? I was expecting everyone to have similar armor, but the oversized armor and carved in helmet just seem ridiculous for the best of the best of a high tech military organization to be using (not to mention the different colors). It seems like they are going to have multiplayer customization and fitted it in to the single player characters.II-FBIsniper-II
I don't really have a problem with it, I think it gives the characters a bit more personality.
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#420 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]They discussed this on the Hotspot and I agree: Anyone else think that the different armor types look silly? I was expecting everyone to have similar armor, but the oversized armor and carved in helmet just seem ridiculous for the best of the best of a high tech military organization to be using (not to mention the different colors). It seems like they are going to have multiplayer customization and fitted it in to the single player characters.AAllxxjjnn
I don't really have a problem with it, I think it gives the characters a bit more personality.

Agreed, just like the scars me thinks. They [individualized armors] give the characters another trait that is their own, and from the looks of things it shows off their own skills and personalities a bit more. Take the Sniper - it looks like he has some sort ghili suit covering and a darker green color to his armor, maybe to better blend in to the grass and trees. My two cents.
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#421 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

heres a good question i havent seen asked. were those leaked shots real or not? im starting to think they were. even tho they were horrible quality.

tikki25x
I'm nearly positive after the trailer that they are real. strnge though I though the pre alpha pics looked a bit better though, maybe it was the light hitting them. halo reach , I think will have character models and gun models like the trailer but with a few jaggies on the characters, obviously. the gun models, judging from the pics look incredible.
ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

[QUOTE="Mark36111"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]I'm not sure you'll be giving the orders (at least not initially) if we're really considering squad based combat for Reach. It's not like everyone saluted you when you walked in. However, a squad based Halo game similar to Republic Commando would be sooooowin.SecretPolice

I must admit, I chuckled.

As did I, my good man.
rtswiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 rtswiz
Member since 2009 • 76 Posts

[QUOTE="tikki25x"]

mayceV

I'm nearly positive after the trailer that they are real. strnge though I though the pre alpha pics looked a bit better though, maybe it was the light hitting them. halo reach , I think will have character models and gun models like the trailer but with a few jaggies on the characters, obviously. the gun models, judging from the pics look incredible.

Yeah, if it's not real, it's incredibly well doctored. The subtle differences especially tell me that they are real. Like the screen on the spartan laser.

mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#424 mr-krinkles
Member since 2008 • 1641 Posts

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Translation - couldn't actually back up what you originally said, when I completely dismembered your fail point, could you?

Or, would you prefer I retort with, "and what's saving your console from 3rd place?" ;)

In the fashion of an RPG, I'll let you choose which was my response, and then you can take it from there :P

AdobeArtist

Dang nice. The first post of yours was the jab then the second was a right cross. He was owned in both posts.

Did you see his later comments (perhaps even an admission) of trolling? He then replies about how w was just "joking", but deletes that post. Looks like he realized he had to make a strategic withdrawl ;)

This is such a douchy post. Don't flatter yourself dude, I got banned and that post was subsequently deleted.

And I was joking. It's a shame my humour went completely over your fanboy head, as well as all the other posts I made after it. If you look at the last post on page 6 you can see my comment praising Halo. :roll: