Official Halo Reach Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

EDIT: HD trailer from bungie available here: http://www.bungie.net/Projects/Reach/default.aspx

Halo reach shows its first in game footage today(http://twitter.com/bungietweets/status/6357926407 ). This makes it a very big day for the xbox. Today is the day it proves it can put out great lookin games that aren't gears nor multiplats. A lot is at stake for lemmings today, and Cows for that part. Halo reach is my most anticipated game of 2010 and I seriously hope the game plays well

Reach is a prequel to halo CE so that means there are more spartans in on the action. besides that its not know how closely the game ties into the novels.

The Halo Reach engine is built from ground up for the 360, one of the first enignes like this. (others include Alan Wake and Halo wars) This engine will use the 360's prototype tesselator to have a few DX1 features (its not built from ground up in dx11 however. *take caution*) and as quoted from the link below

"tesselators with close to 30k characters to achieve cinematic quality features"

"Domain shader to optimize the performance of the output of the GPU in order to mitigate bandwich use"

http://www.gameguru.in/first-person-shooters/2009/11/the-technology-powering-halo-reach/

As we've seen there were leaks of possible off screen shots of halo reach in pre alpha stages. Here's to refesh your memory:

Image 1

This is the trademark spartan laser.Now compare it to this:

Image 14

This is Halo ODST. You can notice that the laser actually looks much diffrent in terms of structure, Check out the knob and screen in the first pic that aren't avalible in the second pic. Even with the bad quality of the pic you see 1 more big diffrence. They brought back the health bar.

Image 1

Now this is a new weapon. The needler carbine. I have little info beyond that.

Image 1

Now this pic intrests most. look at the radar. Look closely past the terrible qality of the photo. You'll see what look like 4 health bars. My guess is that you aren't trucking this one alone instead with 4 squad mates. Now notice the blurry writing under the picture and you'll see the objectives all of them are the same "go to space here". This lead me to believe that this indeed could be pre alpha.

Now in terms of music I would have posted the leaked soundtracks from youtube, but youtube recently took them down for authorization rights. But let me tell ya they were a league above halo 3, this however isn't suprising because this is bungie's last halo game.

Now to make this thread officialI need this:

animal pic :)

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Can't we just have a VGAs thread?

And where the hell is that, anyway? The show is TONIGHT!

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

looks good- hope it lives up to the hype

sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 sayonara89
Member since 2009 • 1985 Posts
Tesselation was used in Viva Pinata and Halo Wars, Xbox is to weak to do something spectacular with it.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
I am not hyping Reach for it's graphics because I have a feeling Bungie is not making a corridor shooter.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
I look forward to waking up tomorrow morning and seeing the hundreds of threads about this.
Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Doctor-McNinja
Member since 2009 • 1515 Posts

Now halo reach is the story of Reach,and how the covenant started the war by attacking it.

mayceV

No it isn't. :|

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="mayceV"]

Now halo reach is the story of Reach,and how the covenant started the war by attacking it.

Doctor-McNinja

I think it's a safe assumption that it's about that.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SparkyProtocol
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Doctor-McNinja"]

[QUOTE="mayceV"]

Harvest was before Reach if he is talking about how this is not how the Covenant started the war.
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mayceV
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Doctor-McNinja"]

[QUOTE="mayceV"]

thats what I thought but if it makes you happier Doctor-McNinja I changed it :)
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Doctor-McNinja"] No it isn't. :|

SparkyProtocol

Harvest was before Reach if he is talking about how this is not how the Covenant started the war.

Oh.

Well, they just as well might have started it by attacking Reach, for those of us who don't own all the novels.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mayceV

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Doctor-McNinja"] No it isn't. :|

SparkyProtocol

sorry now I see where I went wrong.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SparkyProtocol

[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] I think it's a safe assumption that it's about that.Cherokee_Jack

Oh.

Well, they just as well might have started it by attacking Reach, for those of us who don't own all the novels.

It talks about it in the intro of Halo Wars. :P
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

A Sticky for Halo Reach...that comes out a year from now?

I don't know...but it shall be a fun game, no doubt.

----------

EDIT : Got it...a "Flood" of posts will be coming when Reach is shown off.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

we will need a sticky cuz after we see the amazing trailer 2nite the boards will be over run by Reach threads

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

we will need a sticky cuz after we see the amazing trailer 2nite the boards will be over run by Reach threads

chikenfriedrice

In that case I agree! :P

I just thought he wanted a sticky for a year....That makes more sense, thanks chicken! :P
me tired.:(

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]

SolidTy

In that case I agree! :P

I just thought he wanted a sticky for a year....That makes more sense, thanks chicken! :P
me tired.:(

haha get some rest

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how this game turns out. If the Spartans play like they did in Combat Evolved, I'll probably try it out, but if they remain jumping around 30ft in the air, and take no falling damage, I might have to pass....

ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts

We'll be needing this sticky soon, I'm looking forward to this trailer as much as anyone, Bungie is one of the great devs of the industry and I expect great things from their farewell to the powerhouse franchise that they themselves spawned.

2010 will be a great year for gamers, certainly a great way to kick off the next decade of gaming too! :)

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SparkyProtocol
We'll be needing this sticky soon, I'm looking forward to this trailer as much as anyone, Bungie is one of the great devs of the industry and I exspect great things from their farewell to the powerhouse franchise that they themselves spawned. 2010 will be a great year for gamers, certainly a great way to kick off the next decade of gaming too! :)ImOldGreg
Yeah, the wait is killing me. I thought it was going to be more than a 2:30 trailer. I hope they alteast talk about the game before or after the trailer, but VGAs are not gaming conventions like E3. If the trailer showcases the game graphics and it is not CGI then I will be happy.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cherokee_Jack
I don't know about you guys, but I am ready to see some Reach. The trailer will be great and cows will rage. I'm going to wake up about an hour before the show. Can't wait to see MoH and the new games as well.
onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

Tesselation was used in Viva Pinata and Halo Wars, Xbox is to weak to do something spectacular with it.sayonara89

so I guess you never played Viva Pinata or Halo Wars, both great looking games

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

If that screen is real... And the gun model looks that good... Then my eyes will melt when I see the real game.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xYamatox

If that screen is real... And the gun model looks that good... Then my eyes will melt when I see the real game.

Truth_Hurts_U

Umm...you've apparently missed out on some of the most stunning visuals on consoles this year... that screen shot looks no where near as good as Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 or Gears of War 2. However, I could be surprised when i watch the VGAs on my TV, as opposed to a crappy screen-shot. I won't hold my breath, though.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mayceV

Truth_Hurts_U
Me too, this, MoH, and AW for next year! 2010 is gonna be wicked.
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mayceV
[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

Umm...you've apparently missed out on some of the most stunning visuals on consoles this year... that screen shot looks no where near as good as Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 or Gears of War 2. However, I could be surprised when i watch the VGAs on my TV, as opposed to a crappy screen-shot. I won't hold my breath, though.

it looks better than gears but I think we'll have to see the finished product to see if it matches/ surpasses kz2. btw where is VGA being held? LA?
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xYamatox

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

mayceV

it looks better than gears but I think we'll have to see the finished product to see if it matches/ surpasses kz2. btw where is VGA being held? LA?

Not sure, to be honest. Can't wait to see what new announcements are going to be shown. If I remember correctly, God of War 3 was first announced on the VGA's, so I'm hoping Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo have some secrets they are going to surprise us with.

muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts
I will probably get it since I have played all Halo games except for Wars and ODST, which I will on my winter break as soon as my newly replaced 360 will be replaced again. Went from the RRoD to E64/65, right out of the box, WTF.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Should be awesome.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mayceV
[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="mayceV"][QUOTE="xYamatox"]

Not sure, to be honest. Can't wait to see what new announcements are going to be shown. If I remember correctly, God of War 3 was first announced on the VGA's, so I'm hoping Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo have some secrets they are going to surprise us with.

good god I realized I have to wake up at 5 AM. no biggie though just hope, as you said, sony nintendo and MS show some new stuff
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

This thread won't get stickied because its too early with nothing but old info. Whatever comes up after the video release will get stickied or mod will make their own.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cherokee_Jack
Everyone should probably know that there's no live stream of the awards because Spike sucks. It's TV only.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Truth_Hurts_U

xYamatox

Did I say that it's the best looking game or that I seen nothing like it? No. I just said it will make my eyes melt if the game looks as good as the guns.

Saying it won't look as good as past games is pretty optimistic. You didn't even see "the game" yet.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xYamatox

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

Truth_Hurts_U

Did I say that it's the best looking game or that I seen nothing like it? No. I just said it will make my eyes melt if the game looks as good as the guns.

Saying it won't look as good as past games is pretty optimistic. You didn't even see "the game" yet.

When someone says that a game's visuals are enough to make your eye's melt, it's assumed they are saying the game has incredible graphics. If that single image of Reach is enough to make you think that, than you've simply missed out on some stunning looking games. As far as the Halo series in concerned, yes the game looks good.

As I've mentioned in my previous post, I could very easily be surprised by Reach, but I'm not holding my breath, is all. Owning all 3 consoles, i have played my fair share of great looking games, and from what I've seen, I have my doubts Bungie will create a game that is on par with Killzone or Uncharted. But, as stated for now a third time, I could be surprised.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Truth_Hurts_U

When someone says that a game's visuals are enough to make your eye's melt, it's assumed they are saying the game has incredible graphics. If that single image of Reach is enough to make you think that, than you've simply missed out on some stunning looking games. As far as the Halo series in concerned, yes the game looks good.

As I've mentioned in my previous post, I could very easily be surprised by Reach, but I'm not holding my breath, is all. Owning all 3 consoles, i have played my fair share of great looking games, and from what I've seen, I have my doubts Bungie will create a game that is on par with Killzone or Uncharted. But, as stated for now a third time, I could be surprised.

xYamatox

You know Halo is nothing like KZ or Uncharted. Halo uses vehicles and large areas to make the game. If they can make a good looking modern vehicle based FPS on a console... I would be considered eye melted.

If the gun models say anything in the blurry state they are in... We are in for a treat.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Just to let everyone know, we might be able to expect a final Beta release date along with the trailer, just seems likely. I can't wait, though, Reach will be insane!
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
Looks great. My most anticipated game of 2010 for sure, regardless of how it looks. Tonight, a group of fanboys are gonna cry...
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Is that first pic for reals? that looks so much better. Very much anticipating this game, viva Halo.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44158 Posts

Halo Reach is gonna knock some socks off - can't wait till tonight after everyone see this and starts posting what they think about what they have seen. :D

Avatar image for DragoonKain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DragoonKain1687
Member since 2009 • 256 Posts

Can't Wait. Today also on Waypoint is the full The Package episode right?

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Interested to see if there'll be any cool gameplay mechanics...
Avatar image for devilsoultaker2
devilsoultaker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 devilsoultaker2
Member since 2009 • 904 Posts
Halo Reach when 1 spartan isn't enough
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xYamatox

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

Truth_Hurts_U

You know Halo is nothing like KZ or Uncharted. Halo uses vehicles and large areas to make the game. If they can make a good looking modern vehicle based FPS on a console... I would be considered eye melted.

If the gun models say anything in the blurry state they are in... We are in for a treat.

I don't want to turn this into a Killzone vs. Halo thread, because that's not what it was made for (and there are a lot more fanboys for Halo than there are for Killzone). However, despite the large maps and vehicle combat (which btw, adding vehicles has very little effect on overall graphics, it really just effects gameplay), it doesn't change the fact that the technical detail (graphics) put into the game, in my opinion, may not be on par with Killzone or Uncharted.

Just because a game has scale, doesn't mean it has decent tech behind it. All we can do though, is wait and see. Everything at this point is simply based on assumptions, and until the final product is released, we won't know how the game's going to play out. While many are hyping this game to AAAAE status, I'll remain skeptical. Most people with high expectations may be disappointed, while other who are skeptical could be in for a fun surprised. I'd rather be the latter.

mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts
I can't wait for later today. I will see for the first time even though i don't think it wont be super graphically special as they say.
MclovinKilledU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MclovinKilledU
Member since 2009 • 345 Posts

i dont think the grpahics will be any better than halo3 but the gameplay gonna be really different

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

i dont think the grpahics will be any better than halo3 but the gameplay gonna be really different

MclovinKilledU
Did you see the pics on the first page?
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#49 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

How many hours left? I live in portugal so im not sure how long ill wait :|

D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts

My only thought are how this is going to relate to the novel of Reach? I wonder if Bungie is going to mess with the story and make all the other spartans die? In the books, some are still alive along with John (Master Chief), but in order to fit the game world, will they make them all perish?