Official Halo Reach Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#101 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts

I thought It was CGI at first but then I realized that cutscenes in Halo games have always used in game engine but I was tricked by the fact that there was absolutely no gameplay in the teaser and my brain made a correlation, no gameplay=CGI, sounds silly but most first shown trailers are CGI. :P Good thing I dont lose any sleep over any first person shooter unless its called Half Life Episode #.

Punjabiking101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 Punjabiking101
Member since 2008 • 1577 Posts

The trailer looks "okay" compared to ps3 games, but then again it looks better than any halo game before, and it still has ayear to improve. Day one buy for me. :)

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Halo Reach is definitely the best looking Bungie Halo game. Can't wait to rent ODST to get into the Reach beta.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

I don't know... New game engine takes shorter time to dev for?

Halo 3 2.4 years since rumored. http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/halo3/news.html?sid=6121637&mode=news

Halo odst 1.8 years http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198181.html?tag=result;title;8

Halo Reach 1.25 years http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/haloreach/news.html?sid=6210617&mode=news

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#105 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17465 Posts

Halo 3 2.4 years since rumored.

Halo odst 1.8 years

Halo Reach 1.25 years

LOXO7

Firstly, ODST was initially an expansion pack (was called Recon) but they had so much content that it bloomed into a full game

Secondly, the ODST team were comprised of the team that are workin on Reach, they just allocated them there to finish the project.

Thirdly, No dev does one job at a time unless they are small. For all we know, they couldve been working on the new engine when Halo 3 went gold. Thats a long time to create an engine...........especially if you only dev on one platform ;)

After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 After_Math
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts

[QUOTE="LOXO7"]

Halo 3 2.4 years since rumored.

Halo odst 1.8 years

Halo Reach 1.25 years

navyguy21

Firstly, ODST was initially an expansion pack (was called Recon) but they had so much content that it bloomed into a full game

Secondly, the ODST team were comprised of the team that are workin on Reach, they just allocated them there to finish the project.

Thirdly, No dev does one job at a time unless they are small. For all we know, they couldve been working on the new engine when Halo 3 went gold. Thats a long time to create an engine...........especially if you only dev on one platform ;)

Just want to clarify some points: Yes, Halo: Recon evolved into Halo: ODST as the project became bigger and more ambitious than Bungie originally planned. The ODST team was a small group of team members, most of the studio were working on Reach. When ODST finished, the team went to work on Reach as well.
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

halo reach looks amazing. The girls face though looks like a doll. And needs alot of touching up. If she is one of the main characters and I have to hear her talk make her model decent bungie.

Ultra_Combo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Ultra_Combo
Member since 2009 • 1494 Posts
Wow that was the first HD trailer I saw, before that I thought KZ2 looked at tad better. But if Reach really looks like that in game,and that's a big if then console graphics king fo sho IMO. And LOL at some cows comments looks ok compared to PS3 games, yah keep telling yourself that.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#109 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
It looks really good, a big graphical improvement from Halo 3
D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#110 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts

Hopefully Reach won't make Halo evolve into a corridor shooter and still retain the same openness that most of Halo's battles hold.

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts

halo reach looks amazing. The girls face though looks like a doll. And needs alot of touching up. If she is one of the main characters and I have to hear her talk make her model decent bungie.

nhh18
But she's gonna be wearing a helmet and you probably won't see her face :| Anyways, the trailer was amazing and it made me wanna pre order the game right now!!
swimdeadfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 swimdeadfish
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts

this will single-handedly destroy the ps3.

Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
I loved the trailer. The graphics looked great. The Spartan with the skull painted on his visor looked badass. As usual, Martin O'Donnel does a great job with the music. I also was quick to point out the "ONI" mention. I wonder how many of the users bashing this even know what ONI is? :? Overall, Halo Reach looks very promising.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I loved the trailer. The graphics looked great. The Spartan with the skull painted on his visor looked badass. As usual, Martin O'Donnel does a great job with the music. I also was quick to point out the "ONI" mention. I wonder how many of the users bashing this even know what ONI is? :? Overall, Halo Reach looks very promising.SpiritOfFire117

Those were my thoughts exactly :)

I'm also going to make a prediction here. That we'll see appearances from Sgt Johnson, Capt Keyes, and Cortana, but only much later in the game. When you figure how this game directly connects to Halo CE, where that game begins, it is only logical. I'm also predicting that the last 2 or 3 levels (or the last 3 stages of the last level) the mission objective will be about securing what is referred to as a "precious cargo", that is to say Master Chief's stasis pod, getting it aboard the Pillar of Autumn, and then making that final getaway from Reach. And no I fully expect NO appearance from the famous 117 at all, just his pod.

Since no other Spartans are seen in Halo CE, I'm kinda figuring you and your team make some sort of sacrifice to allow the PoA to make its escape.

I don't know if I should have put all that into a spoiler tag, but since Halo 1 has been around long enough, didn't really figure that would be necessary, as far as my Reach predictions go :oops:

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Halo reach is about Jai-006 from gray team.

If you read the Halo books you'll know who this is and from the trailer it esay to tell. Grey team is a group made of 3 Spartans who where train to fight
independently from the others due being loners.

The Spartan that got off the wort hog was only wearing grey for one and the other Spartans called him a lone wolf.

So no more master cheif.....

So we trade one guy who doesn't talk enough for another guy who doesn't talk enough but has issues.....

Darn it, just show some gameplay.

dreman999

More specifically, he said, "I'm glad to have your skillset, but you can leave that lone wolf stuff behind."

"Is that our new six?"

"Yep"

To me, that says squad-based gameplay like Ghost Recon or maybe Republic Commando with the player controlling the new Lt..I'mthinking that the "six" reference was the team lead designation based on contemporary convention, telling meyou/he willbe issuing orders to the rest of the SPARTANs.

At least, that's my take on it.

AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 AndyAlfredo
Member since 2009 • 1402 Posts

this will single-handedly destroy the ps3.

swimdeadfish

Couldn't be SW without posts like this!

No, it won't single-handedly destroy the PS3, but it looks like it may be one of the best if not the best FPS of all time. And when one of the Spartans said "You can leave than lone wolf stuff behind," it seems as though this game will encourage teamwork, maybe 4 player split screen or even more than 4 player online. The there's the multiplayer which will be amazing, new awesome maps, hopefully still no perks.

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#118 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts

God, another year another Halo. Don't you want to play anything else Lemmings?? I mean apart from Gears as well.

mr-krinkles
Your comment was not needed.
mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#120 mr-krinkles
Member since 2008 • 1641 Posts

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

God, another year another Halo. Don't you want to play anything else Lemmings?? I mean apart from Gears as well.

DonPerian

Your comment was not needed.

Lol, I just saw the trailer...

It actually looks really sick.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#121 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Another 9.5 incoming. Halo Reach will be the next stellar FPS. MW2 who?

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 AdobeArtist  Moderator

mr-krinkles

hmmm, now that you mention it, I do want to play Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Forza 3, PGR 4, Beyonetta, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Dead or Alive 4, SoulCalibur 4, Splinter Cell Conviction, Crackdown 2, and L4D2.

Wait a min!!! I CAN play all those on the X360 :o :o :o

Why didn't someone tell me this before I threw my console against the wall after reading MrKrinkles post??? :x

Cait__Sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Cait__Sith
Member since 2009 • 2326 Posts

BioShockOwnz
Battlefield 3 will be the shooter of 2010.
Halo__Reach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Halo__Reach
Member since 2009 • 443 Posts

BioShockOwnz
but until then mw2 is KING.
mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 mr-krinkles

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

AdobeArtist

hmmm, now that you mention it, I do want to play Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Forza 3, PGR 4, Beyonetta, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Dead or Alive 4, SoulCalibur 4, Splinter Cell Conviction, Crackdown 2, and L4D2.

Why didn't someone tell me this before I threw my console against the wall after reading MrKrinkles post??? :x

At least that saved it from the RROD!

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

mr-krinkles

Translation - couldn't actually back up what you originally said, when I completely dismembered your fail point, could you?

Or, would you prefer I retort with, "and what's saving your console from 3rd place?" ;)

In the fashion of an RPG, I'll let you choose which was my response, and then you can take it from there :P

mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 mr-krinkles

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

Translation - couldn't actually back up what you originally said, when I completely dismembered your fail point, could you?

Or, would you prefer I retort with, "and what's saving your console from 3rd place?" ;)

In the fashion of an RPG, I'll let you choose which was my response, and then you can take it from there :P

Trolling is a art.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Can't wait for some local multiplayer, online is going to rock without a doubt but i get the feeling they will have some pleasant and unique surprises for local multiplay as well. This is the biggest title of 2010 and i dare say the only proper halo game after the masterpiece that was CE, this is what halo 3 should have been all along. I know there isnt that much info available but all will see this will be quite the departure from halo 2 and 3 and be closer in spirit to CE.

Visuals are quite decent but i believe there are better looking 360 games out already (and this is judging what the cutscene trailer has shown) but that is of no consequence, it by no means looks bad and halo was never about teh graphix. GOTY contender, sales king of the generation, biggest and longest lasting community of the generation (excluding WoW), highest number of pre-orders both retail and online, and highest grossing entertainment product of the decade!!!!!

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Trolling is a art.

mr-krinkles

You certainly would know, wouldn't you?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 navyguy21

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

Trolling is a art.

AdobeArtist

Why isnt he banned/suspended yet? I mean he clearly admits to trolling and annoying people
mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 mr-krinkles

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

Trolling is a art.

AdobeArtist

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts

I might check this game out it might restore myrespect forhalo.

PrimusGears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 PrimusGears
Member since 2008 • 1594 Posts

I love the guy that uses the machette. Skull and Cross Bones. Game is gonna be EPIC.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

Graphics looked nice, though I care more about the music. That bit that played in the opening was especially nice.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Graphics looked nice, though I care more about the music. That bit that played in the opening was especially nice.

Mordred19

Marty (I believe that's his name) ALWAYS delivers :D

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

BioShockOwnz
killzone big 3 baby. halo reach for a straw?
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Taken from another thread:

[QUOTE="gsgdvcbsa"]Final confirmation on Reach's graphics straight from a Bungie employee: "What you guys saw was in-engine and in-game but many underestimate how thoughtful camera work and tuned lighting can effect one's perceptions. Even when using the same engine and assets, a pre-planned and choreographed scene will always have more impact than an impromptu user controlled scene. I think this is where translation from an in-game cinematic to in-game play can breakdown. My two cents." Link: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=39658478&postRepeater1-p=2AdobeArtist

System Wars venerable tech expert, Teufulhuhn, had explained this very point. Choreographed cinematics where the camera is controlled, allows the renders to optomize the textures and lighting where its needed most (where the camera is always pointed). Whereas actual gameplay, where the camera is user controlled, means the textures have to be more flexible and adjustable to unpredictable direction.

So cinematics can be in-engine, but there's a difference between in-engine and in-game, and why cinematics will always look better than gameplay. This is true of any game where cinematics are using the game engine.

And Bungie delivered exactly on what they promised, a showcase of the game engine. There was NO CGI there. Fanboys simply tried to twist the words that Bungie suppoosedly promised gameplay footage to try and fabricate ownage, where they can't actually claim it.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

I'm glad to hear that the tone of the game will be very bleak. That is really the only thing appropriate for such a large-scale battle that's also doomed to fail. Too many jokes and quips between spartans wouldn't seem believable for this.

I remember that Bungie wanted to have melee combos in Halo 2, but they had to make a choice between that and duel wielding. Hopefully, we can have both, and that melee combat won't simply be a matter of elbowing something and it dies when the hit points are low enough, but at the same time, it's not something that would be handeled with quick-time events, for instance.

It would be great to have a sprint ability, to really show off a Spartan's strength and agility. Click the left stick, accelerate to top speed, and then deliver a kick that can flip over a car.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

Dang nice. The first post of yours was the jab then the second was a right cross. He was owned in both posts.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

CanYouDiglt

Dang nice. The first post of yours was the jab then the second was a right cross. He was owned in both posts.

Did you see his later comments (perhaps even an admission) of trolling? He then replies about how w was just "joking", but deletes that post. Looks like he realized he had to make a strategic withdrawl ;)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#142 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

So am I blind, or does Halo Reach look just average for graphics?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 navyguy21

Wasdie
PC gamer i suppose? :P
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Wasdie
yes your blind.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Wasdie  Moderator
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

navyguy21
PC gamer i suppose? :P

Yeah, but even still I was very unimpressed by it. I mean Uncharted 2 is pretty hard to beat, Killzone 2 and Gears of War 2 are also major lookers. I just saw bland environments. Though they were very open which makes me very happy. I love Halo and I love the large battles.
bochoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 bochoy
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts
Perhaps it's the art direction/style that's not appealing to you?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Wasdie  Moderator

Perhaps it's the art direction/style that's not appealing to you?bochoy

There is this really fake quality about all of the Halo games. They have a cartoonish overtone and the graphics engine has TONS of rough edges (tons of sprites, low res textures, bad enviromental models).

Watching the trailer I saw nothing to spectacular. I mean people complained about the lack of color in Killzone 2 and Halo Reach had this really dark overtone to it. Don't get me wrong I am excited for the game, I love Halo, I am just saying that the graphics didn't blow me away one bit.

brennan7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 brennan7777
Member since 2005 • 3253 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

WilliamRLBaker

yes your blind.

As i read through these i keep getting the impression that its YOU that needs to pull of the fanboy goggles...

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#149 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Halo Reach graphics isn't the best but it certainly isn't bad. Of course this is on;y a trailer so I'll wait for the full game to decide.

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

Wasdie
ur opinion will anger the fanboys. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! someone....................... lend wasdie your goggles. help him see the rainbow graphics of Reach.