Official GS Gran Turismo 6 Review: 7

• 184 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts
@Dreams-Visions said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

GT is a grind game by nature. Is GT6 more of a grind than usual?

Sounds like it takes the fun out of it.

The fun of GT is the grinding. If you don't like grinding, you shouldn't be playing GT. That's a fact. It's how GT has always been.

It's like expecting Diablo 3 to be an easy grind for the best items. No...that's what grind games are made to do. I can't imagine it's any less fun than it's ever been, but I can see it behind the competition in new ideas.

There's a certain amount of grinding in Forza, but there's a balance and so you get the fun of collecting and upgrading, both of which is expensive but it's not too hard or too easy with the grinding.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Dreams-Visions said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

The fun of GT is the grinding. If you don't like grinding, you shouldn't be playing GT. That's a fact. It's how GT has always been.

It's like expecting Diablo 3 to be an easy grind for the best items. No...that's what grind games are made to do. I can't imagine it's any less fun than it's ever been, but I can see it behind the competition in new ideas.

Grinding is one thing. Forcing incredibly boring cars, tracks and events on you is another. I think if you actually played it, you would change your tune. They force go kart events on you ffs..There are literally parts well into GT where you can't proceed without racing in a go kart or a 70hp mini car

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53  Edited By -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

Grinding is one thing. Forcing incredibly boring cars, tracks and events on you is another. I think if you actually played it, you would change your tune. They force go kart events on you ffs..There are literally parts well into GT where you can't proceed without racing in a go kart or a 70hp mini car

I agree with this to an extent. I don't mind having to race something like a kart or other off the wall vehicles periodically through the events. That mixes things up. I do think they need to get you in performance cars a lot sooner in the career. Forcing you to drive sedans and such for a while is not a good idea. Race one you should be in something like a Mustang GT (not Saleen) or other mid-level performance car. Something that has performance, but not so much that you're not looking forward to unlocking a bunch of other cars.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Meh I am not shocked at all.

Cubs360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Cubs360
Member since 2006 • 3771 Posts

They're not innovating at all. What innovation are they bringing? That's the reason for the low score.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

@Cubs360 said:

They're not innovating at all. What innovation are they bringing? That's the reason for the low score.

I think this is more or less the correct response. The audio of the cars, the damage to the vehicles, etc. are all very much last gen.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Forza has always been more fun to play than GT series.

Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jipset
Member since 2008 • 2410 Posts

How did a 13 year old get to review a game?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46448 Posts

If the developers turn their gameplay into grinding in order for you to purchase more shit than I think games should get downrated for that.

I loved GT5, but I'm not getting this one because I'm not supporting full priced games with microtransactions.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 applefan1991  Moderator

@Jipset said:

How did a 13 year old get to review a game?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50595 Posts

Well, he did say it was the best racing simulation on consoles. So people into it will love it.

-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By -ArchAngeL-777-

@Chutebox said:

Well, he did say it was the best racing simulation on consoles. So people into it will love it.

That's the part that PD cares about and has served them very well over time. Also, most reviews say the track selection is the best you will find in a racing game. That alone has me ready to pick it up, even though I have moved on to PS4. I really don't want to go back and play a PS3 game right now. Maybe next year if we hit a dry spell, or if Drive Club turns out to be pretty bad.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

I'm not surprised if the AI is the same as it was in previous games. It makes the actual racing offline rather dull and the bumper car style crashes and lack of proper damage (in single player) is inexcusable in a game advertising itself as a driving sim. I still want it though.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

lol GT getting worse each new entry.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

Ridiculous.

First of all, a reviewer has to play the game whether they like the grinding or not.

Secondly, just because you like the grinding doesn't mean it's not a negative.

Thirdly, "that's how it's always been" is not a valid justification for a flaw. The Dynasty Warriors series has always been repetitive and mindless, yet those flaws shouldn't be excused.

No, No, and No.

First of all, a reviewer should know the kind of game he's going to review before he reviews it. If he's not into grinding games, he shouldn't be doing the review much like you don't ask someone who doesn't play shooters to review Halo. There are communities of millions of gamers built upon this kind of game and this specific franchise. That said, this reviewer has spent plenty of time with GT games in the past, so I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here or why you're saying it. Did you read the review? If you had even read the OP you wouldn't have made this point, so I assume you didn't. So why am I talking to you in the first place? I'm not sure. The reviewer is clearly okay with grinding, just not too much of it. He's played every GT game. Derp.

Secondly, it's not about me liking grinding or not; it's about the nature, design, and intent of a game. If a game franchise is built around grinding and is designed to reward specifically for grinding and always has, grinding should never be a negative unless it's simply an joyless and/or poorly designed grind this go-around. That can happen and may have happened here. Reviews are mixed. But no, GT is and will always be a grind game and it's joy is supposed to be in the grinding experience. Whether they were successful in making it a joyful experience or not is a different matter, but unlocking and spending time with cars, tweaking them to perfection, racing them, tweaking them some more, then unlocking a new car and doing it all over again is quintessential GT. That's what GT is. Does that sound boring to you? You can play NFS, Burnout, etc. It's the preferred method for the millions who buy and play GT games for hundreds of hours.

Thirdly, grinding designs aren't "a flaw". Case in point: Diablo 3's grind isn't a flaw. The intent is for you to spend countless hours with the game unlocking items for your class. Maybe even years. As a result, games like Diablo obtain huge clutish followings who play for years upon years to get the best possible gear. The joy is in the grind. Borderlands 2 is the same way if your goal is to get one of each Legendary weapon in the game. Hundreds of hours are easily spent grinding bosses over and over until you finally get those fabled weapon drops. In the same way, GT is all about the grind. If you don't understand that this is why GT is GT, you haven't played Gran Turismo. Not for very long anyway...and if that's the case, then you probably shouldn't be here discussing it as if you have a clue about what makes GT tick and what makes people who buy GT tick. That said, the grind experience in general may not be for you. That's fine. You shouldn't have to feel like every type of game will gel with you. Just because you don't like a style of game personally doesn't mean it's objectively flawed, though it's fair to say that this particular GT shows a general lack of feature innovation on the part of PD and that the grind may be less fun than in the past. It sounds like it will take longer to unlock the most expensive cars than it did in the past, but time will tell. It sounds like PD's goal was to keep certain cars uber-exclusive and it sounds like they've succeeded...but giving an option to buy them with real world cash cheapens the exclusivity considerably, IMO.

Lastly, the Dynasty Warriors analogy is simply absurd by the way, and only shows how little experience you have in the subject at hand. Your post comes off as someone evaluating what a grinding sim is or should be from the perspective of someone who's only played Need for Speed. Not a good look.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@-ArchAngeL-777- said:

The biggest issue is the fact they decided to put it out on PS3 right in the middle of PS4's launch. I don't have any idea why they didn't just skip PS3 and put out a next gen game in late 2014 or in 2015.

The 80 odd million PS3 users are a much more substantial userbase to release to.

-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 -ArchAngeL-777-

@dommeus said:

@-ArchAngeL-777- said:

The biggest issue is the fact they decided to put it out on PS3 right in the middle of PS4's launch. I don't have any idea why they didn't just skip PS3 and put out a next gen game in late 2014 or in 2015.

The 80 odd million PS3 users are a much more substantial userbase to release to.

True. It gives them something to look forward to during the next gen launch and Christmas season as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

heh that sweet Forza>>>GT6 ownage

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#70  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Dreams-Visions said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

Ridiculous.

First of all, a reviewer has to play the game whether they like the grinding or not.

Secondly, just because you like the grinding doesn't mean it's not a negative.

Thirdly, "that's how it's always been" is not a valid justification for a flaw. The Dynasty Warriors series has always been repetitive and mindless, yet those flaws shouldn't be excused.

No, No, and No.

First of all, a reviewer should know the kind of game he's going to review before he reviews it. If he's not into grinding games, he shouldn't be doing the review much like you don't ask someone who doesn't play shooters to review Halo. There are communities of millions of gamers built upon this kind of game and this specific franchise. That said, this reviewer has spent plenty of time with GT games in the past, so I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here or why you're saying it. Did you read the review? If you had even read the OP you wouldn't have made this point, so I assume you didn't. So why am I talking to you in the first place? I'm not sure. The reviewer is clearly okay with grinding, just not too much of it.

Secondly, it's not about me liking grinding or not; it's about the nature, design, and intent of a game. If a game franchise is built around grinding and is designed to reward specifically for grinding and always has, grinding should never be a negative unless it's simply an joyless and/or poorly designed grind this go-around. That can happen and may have happened here. Reviews are mixed. But no, GT is and will always be a grind game and it's joy is supposed to be in the grinding experience. Whether they were successful in making it a joyful experience or not is a different matter, but unlocking and spending time with cars, tweaking them to perfection, racing them, tweaking them some more, then unlocking a new car and doing it all over again is quintessential GT. That's what GT is. Does that sound boring to you? You can play NFS, Burnout, etc. It's the preferred method for the millions who buy and play GT games for hundreds of hours.

Thirdly, grinding designs aren't "a flaw". Case in point: Diablo 3's grind isn't a flaw. The intent is for you to spend countless hours with the game unlocking items for your class. Maybe even years. As a result, games like Diablo obtain huge clutish followings who play for years upon years to get the best possible gear. The joy is in the grind. Borderlands 2 is the same way if your goal is to get one of each Legendary weapon in the game. Hundreds of hours are easily spent grinding bosses over and over until you finally get those fabled weapon drops. In the same way, GT is all about the grind. If you don't understand that this is why GT is GT, you haven't played Gran Turismo. Not for very long anyway...and if that's the case, then you probably shouldn't be here discussing it as if you have a clue about what makes GT tick and what makes people who buy GT tick. That said, the grind experience in general may not be for you. That's fine. You shouldn't have to feel like every type of game will gel with you. Just because you don't like a style of game personally doesn't mean it's objectively flawed, though it's fair to say that this particular GT shows a general lack of feature innovation on the part of PD and that the grind may be less fun than in the past. It sounds like it will take longer to unlock the most expensive cars than it did in the past, but time will tell. It sounds like PD's goal was to keep certain cars uber-exclusive and it sounds like they've succeeded...but giving an option to buy them with real world cash cheapens the exclusivity considerably, IMO.

Lastly, the Dynasty Warriors analogy is simply absurd by the way, and only shows how little experience you have in the subject at hand. Your post comes off as someone evaluating what a grinding sim is or should be from the perspective of someone who's only played Need for Speed. Not a good look.

Your argument is so silly. Basically, what you're saying is that if something is characteristic of a franchise, it should be excused. There's no logical reason for that to be true. Even if a game is based on grinding, if one feels that its grindy nature detracts from the experience, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with marking a game down for that. The Dynasty Warriors analogy is perfectly apt. The repetitive mindlessness of DW is as much a feature of the series as major grinding is of GT. If one feels that the repetitive nature of DW does not make a good game, then there is nothing wrong with detracting for that. Similarly, if one feels that GT's grindy design does not make for a good overall experience, then it should be marked down. You're trying to project your own acceptance of GT's design onto reviewers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a reviewer thinking that particular sort of design doesn't work well and scoring accordingly. Your assertion that a reviewer must accept the grind as a neutral and fixed characteristic is absolutely nonsensical. What you're arguing is that criticism of GT's core design is off limits purely for the reason that GT has always been that way, which is ass backwards.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#71 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

Absolutely the worst decision to release it on ps3, it was bound to fail comparisons against. Forza 5 on nextgen Hardware

-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 -ArchAngeL-777-

You know everyone complains about GT being "stuck in last gen" or whatever. I respect PD for sticking to it's formula. Everyone is ragging out all these COD copycat shooters. So why should we expect PD to start changing up their formula to be more like Forza or NFS? Especially when they are completely destroying these two franchises in sales.

Let GT be GT. Let Forza be Forza. There's something to be said about having games that take different approaches.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#73 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@-ArchAngeL-777- said:

You know everyone complains about GT being "stuck in last gen" or whatever. I respect PD for sticking to it's formula. Everyone is ragging out all these COD copycat shooters. So why should we expect PD to start changing up their formula to be more like Forza or NFS? Especially when they are completely destroying these two franchises in sales.

Let GT be GT. Let Forza be Forza. There's something to be said about having games that take different approaches.

That's fine, but don't complain when reviewers come down on PD for sticking to its formula.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@WadeFan said:

I find it interesting that the Microtransactions appear to have an effect as the reviewer says that in order to get great cars it's a grind or an expense. Thoughts?

Quotes from the Review Below:

"Powerful supercars still sound like lawnmowers and hairdryers."

"GT6 maintains the series' famous variety of models and events, and adds to its heritage in meaningful ways"

"So much of the game feels antiquated and quaint when compared to its rivals."

Review

Yet Forza has 1 1/4 of the cars also has tons of Micro transactions and is ok..

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@tormentos said:

@WadeFan said:

I find it interesting that the Microtransactions appear to have an effect as the reviewer says that in order to get great cars it's a grind or an expense. Thoughts?

"GT6 maintains the series' famous variety of models and events, and adds to its heritage in meaningful ways"

Review

9>7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@tormentos said:

@WadeFan said:

Review

Who cares as long as it plays better?

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#77 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Pretty much what I expected and you can bet the sales are gonna be significantly lower than GT5,most people won´t be fooled twice so soon.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By tormentos

@danabo said:

9>7

Yep without doubt at least here.

At leas you know how to count..lol

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@tormentos said:

@danabo said:

9>7

Yep without doubt at least here.

At leas you know how to count..lol

Forza>GT

:)

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 tormentos

@seanmcloughlin said:

Well it matters when the reviewer slams one game for Micro transactions,yet ignore the other who has just as much but with 800 cars less to drive.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 35cent

@tormentos said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Well it matters when the reviewer slams one game for Micro transactions,yet ignore the other who has just as much but with 800 cars less to drive.

Do you know that this reviewer didn't review forza 5 right?

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

@tormentos said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Yeah...I found it kinda' shady..and then the idiot goes on to say buying cars and earning currency can be expensive...what??

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#83 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Forza = more fun

#dealwithit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@tormentos said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Not the same reviewer, It's one person's opinion versus another's. If one finds micro transactions to be a bad thing then fine, you dont' automatically assume someone else will

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@-ArchAngeL-777- said:

I expected as much. After GS gave Forza 5 a 9.0 even though it has much less content than Forza 4, I expected GT6 would get a lower score. Forza is all media hype. I mean who cares if the Top Gear guys are in the game? Cars and tracks are what carries a racing game. Forza 5 skimped on both.

Polyphony is not concerned with window dressing, and I'm fine with that. GT6 has the best track selection you will find in a racing game. Yeah they have too many cars, but that's not a bad thing. Bottom line, its going to take you a very long time to get bored with this content.

As for the micro-transactions, tons of games have been doing that. Battlefield 3 even had a way you could buy all unlocks for vehicles or classes. I really don't see the need to dock GT for offering a way to buy in game cash.

No. Good game design is what carries a racing game or any game for that matter. GT6 is apparently not well designed.

what game design? This is just a sim... All you do in go around in circles. But if you read the review: "the best true racing simulation available on consoles".

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@John_Matherson said:

@tormentos said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Yeah...I found it kinda' shady..and then the idiot goes on to say buying cars and earning currency can be expensive...what??

The difference in Forza, is you get rewarded with more in game credits after racing. Here he said, not only are car expensive, you earn less after racing than before, and then they introduce micro transactions to compensate.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Wait wait wait. Members are writing reviews now? Wtf?

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@John_Matherson said:

@tormentos said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

The difference in Forza, is you get rewarded with more in game credits after racing. Here he said, not only are car expensive, you earn less after racing than before, and then they introduce micro transactions to compensate.

Well I don't understand how already included cars that you can race to earn to buy isn't greater than a game launched with a lot less cars so they can sell you more cars with DLC packages. I don't understand,

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 tormentos

@35cent said:

Probably they give most PS games to harsh reviewers,and most xbox games to morons who won't complain about anything,look at TLOU 95% on gamerankings and here 8,now B2S has 9 here and 72% on Gamerankings.

Case in point Forza 5 has 80% on gamerankings yet here it has a 9,GT6 has a 7 here and also has 80% on gamerankings.

So you have on reviewer who doesn't care about micro transactions even that Forza 5 boost a small numbers of cars,and you have another that will bitch about Micro Transactions on a damn game that has more than 1,000 cars.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@WadeFan:

Once again, the Xbox is the best place to play racing games.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

It always seems GT is said to be the best Sim racer but to reviews something other then the gameplay itself always seems dated.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator

@StormyJoe: for last gen, no doubt.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

wait hu? Holy crap your right. When did this happen?

gensigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By gensigns
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

Gran Flopismo

messedupworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By messedupworld
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts

If Poly completely re-hauled their whole game engine and just copied GT-3: A-Spec they would get 9's or even 10's right across the board.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator

@finalfantasy94: I noticed this too almost immediately, but I thought maybe it was something I have been happening before. Either way, it's still a decent review regardless.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 35cent

@tormentos said:

@35cent said:

Probably they give most PS games to harsh reviewers,and most xbox games to morons who won't complain about anything,look at TLOU 95% on gamerankings and here 8,now B2S has 9 here and 72% on Gamerankings.

Case in point Forza 5 has 80% on gamerankings yet here it has a 9,GT6 has a 7 here and also has 80% on gamerankings.

So you have on reviewer who doesn't care about micro transactions even that Forza 5 boost a small numbers of cars,and you have another that will bitch about Micro Transactions on a damn game that has more than 1,000 cars.

There's no anti-Sony conspiracy here. The person that reviewed forza 5 like it a lot and the person that reviewed GT6 didn't like it as much plain and simple. Besides, the reviewer could have had a problem with forza 5s microtransactions but he didn't review it.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

wait hu? Holy crap your right. When did this happen?

This place is a joke.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50595 Posts

@seanmcloughlin: If Forza played better he wouldn't have called GT6 the best sim on consoles.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@heretrix said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

My question is if the grinding has been increased to get people frustrated enough to get people to use microtransactions to get the more expensive cars.

According to reviews... yes.