New PC: Cheap, Epic, Vastly Superior

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#201 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I could have fun racing my Grandma's car around a track. But would rather use a tool appropriate to the job!

ehussein1379

If someone prefers using a controller, then they probably won't enjoy playing with a kb/mouse. I don't understand why they would want to use an inferior control scheme though.

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 ehussein1379
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]I could have fun racing my Grandma's car around a track. But would rather use a tool appropriate to the job!

cain006

If someone prefers using a controller, then they probably won't enjoy playing with a kb/mouse. I don't understand why they would want to use an inferior control scheme though.

A controller is only inferior when precision is key. Most console games use auto-aim (which is an argument in itself) so the need for precision is lowered.

Some games are better with a controller, without a doubt.

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#203 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
This thread is just terrible.
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#204 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
[QUOTE="cain006"]Controls being better is incorrect, you can use any controller you want on pc.IronBass
Not in every game. And there are compatibility issues and other things.

Nope, with xpadder and x360ce you can play, literally any game with a controller.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Nope, with xpadder and x360ce you can play, literally any game with a controller.ampiva

Funny thing, on consoles you can play literally any game with a controller, without the need of anything else =P

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="ampiva"] Nope, with xpadder and x360ce you can play, literally any game with a controller.IronBass
Funny thing, on consoles you can also pla, literally any game with a controller, without the need of anything else =P

But you CAN'T play with a mouse :)

Options > no options

Rai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Rai
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts

All you need is PC+PS3 in order to get the best of this gen.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#208 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="ampiva"] Nope, with xpadder and x360ce you can play, literally any game with a controller.IronBass
Funny thing, on consoles you can also pla, literally any game with a controller, without the need of anything else =P

That argument makes no sense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 deactivated-63f6895020e66

But you CAN'T play with a mouse :)

Options > no options

ehussein1379

Actually you can (since we're talking about additional devices).

Not something I'd do, though.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#210 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]Not really. 360 is plug-n-play in Win7, works flawlessly.

PS3 controller requires a driver, but nbd.

IronBass

As I said, not every game has controller support.

X-Padder solves that.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
PC gaming is definitively better and a huge step up from a 360. So glad I got my gaming PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 deactivated-63f6895020e66
That argument makes no senselostrib
As the "=P" gave away, it wasn't really an argument >_>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 deactivated-63f6895020e66
X-Padder solves that.mitu123
Haven't tried, but I heard it works really bad.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#214 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Ok lets end this madness.

A PC that is capable of playing at console levels (medium or so at 30fps) is still roughly 3 times as much as a freakin console. Its not "cheap", a console from 2005 can play a game in 2011 that a 2005 PC would probably blow up trying, while you can also expect the next gen to have consoles on top for at least 2 years or so if this gen is any indication, not to mention that a very wide variety of games are just impossible on keyboards compared to controllers (such as fighters, platformers, racing games, hack and slashers, basically a large amount of games).

Honestly, PC gaming isn't a perfect end all to gaming or else you wouldn't see developers moving away or such emphasis on them by gamers and companies, and its ignorant and desperate to try and convince otherwise.

But if you want to believe there is a $300 PC that is 200x better then a console, go on believing. I can believe I'm a billionaire, doesn't make it true in the slightest.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

I said legitimately better :)

ME2 BS2 are both dramatically worse with a controller. Bioware made the enemies tougher in PC ME2 to accomodate for no-auto-aim.

You would get wiped on PC ME2 with a controller. A mouse is literally better, at controlling, that game.

BS2 is the same deal. Wiped with a controller because the devs enhanced the combat for PC.

Same with a lot of new games, devs are making the PC version harder because auto-aim doesn't facilitate the 'win'.

ehussein1379

There is not such thing as "legitimately better". How well a controller type work is entirely up toeach person's preference.

Not really.

The goal is to aim and kill things right? A mouse allows you to do that better, legitimately.

Beyond that, ME2 combat is enhanced for PC to accomodate that reality.

No, the goal is to enjoy your time playing the game. If a gamepad enhances one's enjoyment of the game, then it's a legitimate choice.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 lowe0

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]Not really. 360 is plug-n-play in Win7, works flawlessly.

PS3 controller requires a driver, but nbd.

mitu123

As I said, not every game has controller support.

X-Padder solves that.

No, it doesn't. If it's not native support, it's crap.
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

There is not such thing as "legitimately better". How well a controller type work is entirely up toeach person's preference.

lowe0

Not really.

The goal is to aim and kill things right? A mouse allows you to do that better, legitimately.

No, the goal is to enjoy your time playing the game. If a gamepad enhances one's enjoyment of the game, then it's a legitimate choice.

Sorry, but that is nonsensical, and a deflection of the topic.

Are you saying that you couldn't enjoy the game with MORE precision? What about the improved AI that comes along with it in the case of ME2?

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

A PC that is capable of playing at console levels (medium or so at 30fps) is still roughly 3 times as much as a freakin console. Its not "cheap", a console from 2005 can play a game in 2011 that a 2005 PC would probably blow up trying, while you can also expect the next gen to have consoles on top for at least 2 years or so if this gen is any indication, not to mention that a very wide variety of games are just impossible on keyboards compared to controllers (such as fighters, platformers, racing games, hack and slashers, basically a large amount of games).

Honestly, PC gaming isn't a perfect end all to gaming or else you wouldn't see developers moving away or such emphasis on them by gamers and companies, and its ignorant and desperate to try and convince otherwise.

But if you want to believe there is a $300 PC that is 200x better then a console, go on believing. I can believe I'm a billionaire, doesn't make it true in the slightest.

SPYDER0416
You aren't just buying the computer for gaming you know! Music, Movies, internet, email,work, school, GAMESPOT! Buying a low end, say $300-$400 computer and a ps3 is more expensive than buying a gaming Pc.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

Not really.

ehussein1379

Sorry, but that is nonsensical, and a deflection of the topic.

Are you saying that you couldn't enjoy the game with MORE precision? What about the improved AI that comes along with it in the case of ME2?

If I have the choice between more precision, and leaning back from my desk and relaxing in more comfort, then the comfort is going to do more for my overall enjoyment than the precision would.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Are you saying that you couldn't enjoy the game with MORE precision? What about the improved AI that comes along with it in the case of ME2?ehussein1379

Precision to aim is only part of it. As I said, actually moving a character feels way clunkier with keys than it feels with the triggers. And the ergonomic design of a controller feels much better. There's nothing nonsensical about it.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#221 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

YoshiYogurt

You aren't just buying the computer for gaming you know! Music, Movies, internet, email,work, school, GAMESPOT! Buying a low end, say $300-$400 computer and a ps3 is more expensive than buying a gaming Pc.

I bolded all the important things consoles also have 8)

markko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 markko84
Member since 2011 • 212 Posts

[QUOTE="markko84"]

a cheap average pc with an a Corei5 + 450 GTS is good enought to overcome by a mile the atual generation of consoles.

However the library of the consoles is what's worth. Dicussing power is pointless and useless, we're talking about 6 year old machines here.

M4Ntan

why would you get a core i5 with a 450 gts? a phenom ii x4 955 with a 560ti would be about the same price, and be beyond better than a single 450. It would be ahead of consoles by 2 whole generations.

What I said was not about what's worth buying, it was just an a example of an average modern PC hardware surpassing easily the current-gen consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#223 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

SPYDER0416
A PC that costs 3x as much as a console plays games alot better than a console, not at the same quality as one And all of those genres you listed work perfectly fine with kb/m, and any game i have seen of those genres on PC have support for controllers.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#224 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]Are you saying that you couldn't enjoy the game with MORE precision? What about the improved AI that comes along with it in the case of ME2?IronBass

Precision to aim is only part of it. As I said, actually moving a character feels way clunkier with keys than it feels with the triggers. And the ergonomic design of a controller feels much better. There's nothing nonsensical about it.

Right, because it's not like keyboards are meant to be ergonomic or anything...

It just takes getting used to a keyboard and mouse setup. I actually kind of like using the keyboard because when you move right or left, you know you're going exactly that way. With a joystick you can accidentally waste some movement.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 deactivated-63f6895020e66

It just takes getting used to a keyboard and mouse setup. I actually kind of like using the keyboard because when you move right or left, you know you're going exactly that way. With a joystick you can accidentally waste some movement.cain006

I'm pretty sure that"getting used" nothing of this would matter, because, well, we would already be used to it.

It's less about what we can get used to and more about what we actually like.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 lowe0

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]Are you saying that you couldn't enjoy the game with MORE precision? What about the improved AI that comes along with it in the case of ME2?cain006

It just takes getting used to a keyboard and mouse setup. I actually kind of like using the keyboard because when you move right or left, you know you're going exactly that way. With a joystick you can accidentally waste some movement.

I started gaming on PC when Doom came out. How much longer is it going to take before I get used to it?
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]Are you saying that you couldn't enjoy the game with MORE precision? What about the improved AI that comes along with it in the case of ME2?cain006

KB/M is better for movement.

Why?

Because you don't just use the keyboard, you use it in conjunction with the mouse.

Strafe + mouse aiming = best possible control scheme. No controller user could beat someone using that setup.

Controller is better for racing, auto-aim heavy TPS, and fighters. But ... PC supports controllers.

With a controller you use the right tank turret to aim, making it incredibly clunky.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#228 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

lowe0

I started gaming on PC when Doom came out. How much longer is it going to take before I get used to it?

have you continued gaming on the PC since then?
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="cain006"]Right, because it's not like keyboards are meant to be ergonomic or anything...

lawlessx

have you continued gaming on the PC since then?

I've continued gaming on PC, though consoles have been my primary platforms since 2005.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 lostrib

SPYDER0416

Most of the genres you listed can be played well on PC sometimes better. PC gaming may not be perfect but if I could only choose one platform it would be PC. Plus a decent PC only costs 200-300 more than a console

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Why?

Because you don't just use the keyboard, you use it in conjunction with the mouse.

Strafe + mouse aiming = best possible control scheme. No controller user could beat someone using that setup.

Controller is better for racing, auto-aim heavy TPS, and fighters. But ... PC supports controllers.

With a controller you use the right tank turret to aim, making it incredibly clunky.

ehussein1379

The keyboard is horrid for movement. There's no way you're going to win the argument that 4 keys, giving a maximum of 8 directs total, is better than the many nuanced angles that a analog stick gives.

Thankfully, There are much better alternatives to the keyboard. I personally use the ****** NT with the little analog nub on the side. Much better than the WASD setup.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 lostrib

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

Why?

Kickinurass

The keyboard is horrid for movement. There's no way you're going to win the argument that 4 keys, giving a maximum of 8 directs total, is better than the many nuanced angles that a analog stick gives.

Thankfully, There are much better alternatives to the keyboard. I personally use the ****** NT with the little analog nub on the side. Much better than the WASD setup.

Uh you forgot to add in the use of the mouse

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts
[QUOTE="lawlessx"] have you continued gaming on the PC since then?

Don't bother arguing with him he had a heavy bias against PC gaming even though he has one. I haven't really ever seen anything positive come out of his mouth for PC gaming.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#234 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

internet, email

SPYDER0416

Both HORRIBLE experiances on a console I might add. Who actually regularly browses the web and writes their email on a PS3 or Wii?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#235 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Man, no one does 56K warning anymore? :\ On topic: What is this thread trying to say?
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 lowe0
[QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="lawlessx"] have you continued gaming on the PC since then?

Don't bother arguing with him he had a heavy bias against PC gaming even though he has one. I haven't really ever seen anything positive come out of his mouth for PC gaming.

Do you have an actual counterargument instead of a personal attack?
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#237 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Man, no one does 56K warning anymore?bbkkristian
Was that even necessary to say?
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

Why?

Kickinurass

You missed my point. Those 4 directionals become granular when you add mouse + strafe.

I can blow the doors off my 360 controller moving in games with a KB/M; not even a comparison.

Controller = the equivalent of a tank simulator

KB/M = precision instrument

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Kickinurass

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

Why?

lostrib

Uh you forgot to add in the use of the mouse

I fail to see how the mouse changes anything.

With the keyboard, you're essentially regulated to 8 absolute directions of movement. Forward, Left, Right, Back, and a 45 degree angle between either of those cardinal directions. The mouse allows you to move in any direction you want of course, but the keyboard by itself only really has 8 directions of movement.

An analog stick has many more directions. If I want to travel at a 30 degree angle of movement, I can do so. If I want to slightly go at a 10 degree angle to the left, I can do so independent of where my cursor is. Without even bringing the mouse into the equation, the analog stick allows for finer directional control. If you want to move travel at a 10 degree left with the keyboard, you have to A) Move the cursor 10 degrees and then move forward, B) Turn 80 degrees to the right and move left on the perpedicular, or c) turn 35 degrees to right and move at a 45 degree angle along that angle.

This is a case where more is simply more. In the same way that being able to choose between Keyboard/Mouse, controller, or anything in between is simply superior to only being able to play with a controller, having more than 8 directions of movement is better than only having 8 directions of movement.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Kickinurass

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

Why?

ehussein1379

You missed my point. Those 4 directionals become granular when you add mouse + strafe.

I can blow the doors off my 360 controller moving in games with a KB/M; not even a comparison.

I'm not even talking about the controller. I'm talking about the stick vs WASD.

The four directions are granular but still, mouse + stick affords more control than mouse+WASD.

The Stick is simply a superior method of moving when compared to the directional keys.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 RyviusARC
[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="lawlessx"] have you continued gaming on the PC since then?

There is no counter argument to an opinion. In your opinion you don't like K+M controls and in my opinion I like them. Just because you cannot get used to those controls doesn't mean everyone else is like you.
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

Kickinurass

I'm not even talking about the controller. I'm talking about the stick vs WASD.

The four directions are granular but still, mouse + stick affords more control than mouse+WASD.

The Stick is simply a superior method of moving when compared to the directional keys.

Stick is better, agreed.

En toto M/KB > controller.

I use a nostromo n52te, so it feels a bit more like a controller, rather than hand resting on a keyboard.

Mouse + WASD is precision movement, no controller would stand a chance against. There is something to be said for on/off movement in an FPS.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 lowe0
[QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="RyviusARC"] Don't bother arguing with him he had a heavy bias against PC gaming even though he has one. I haven't really ever seen anything positive come out of his mouth for PC gaming.

There is no counter argument to an opinion. In your opinion you don't like K+M controls and in my opinion I like them. Just because you cannot get used to those controls doesn't mean everyone else is like you.

I'm plenty used to them. I just prefer a gamepad.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 RyviusARC
[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="lowe0"] Do you have an actual counterargument instead of a personal attack?

Still doesn't change the point of my post one bit. I myself use both. I use Gamepads in some games like Devil May Cry 4 and K+M in games like Crysis. I am happy to have the choice of either one.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#245 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Man, no one does 56K warning anymore?gmaster456
Was that even necessary to say?

Um. I'm sorry but I have a really slow internet. People back then would always would mention it.
oneshotown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 oneshotown
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Real men use controller, mouse and keyboard and mouse is for noobs who can't aim the mouse turns so fast its unrealstic so they need help of the mouse.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 lowe0
[QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="RyviusARC"] There is no counter argument to an opinion. In your opinion you don't like K+M controls and in my opinion I like them. Just because you cannot get used to those controls doesn't mean everyone else is like you.

Still doesn't change the point of my post one bit. I myself use both. I use Gamepads in some games like Devil May Cry 4 and K+M in games like Crysis. I am happy to have the choice of either one.

Except that we're not talking about your preferences. I provided my preference, and you insisted that it be disregarded, tacking on an accusation of bias. You have yet to prove why my preference is WRONG, regardless of who holds it. If all you have is "well, you must be biased", that's pretty weak and pathetic.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 RyviusARC
[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="lowe0"] I'm plenty used to them. I just prefer a gamepad.

Except that we're not talking about your preferences. I provided my preference, and you insisted that it be disregarded, tacking on an accusation of bias. You have yet to prove why my preference is WRONG, regardless of who holds it. If all you have is "well, you must be biased", that's pretty weak and pathetic.

I was never trying to prove your preference was wrong I was just telling the other guy that it's useless to argue. It's obvious you don't like PC gaming from your post history so what is the point with arguing with someone who is already dead set in their preference. Stop trying to make an argument out of nothing.
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#250 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts
Real men use controller, mouse and keyboard and mouse is for noobs who can't aim the mouse turns so fast its unrealstic so they need help of the mouse.oneshotown
Motion controllers are even better cause they turn even slower, and are even less accurate. see what I did there?