New PC: Cheap, Epic, Vastly Superior

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 ehussein1379
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"]

Nah, consoles have better controls and community, and MUCH better games. Plus the ease of use is vastly superior to that of a PC.

Ravensmash

The ease of use is starting to become less as consoles keep adding services and requirements like install to hard drive.

And the idea of much better games is subjective unless you compare multiplats where PC generally is better. And in which genres does console have better controls?

Multiplatform games are not better games on PC, they have better graphics - not gameplay.

Better gameplay as well. See my ME2 comment. (basically the PC ungimps the hotkeys missing on console).

Also: better precision = higher potentially skilled opponents.

On console the requirement for auto-aim removes legitimate game enhancing skill checks.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts
Also: better precision = higher potentially skilled opponents.ehussein1379
So is that Why Danica Patrick, who drove much higher speed, precise open wheel cars is doing so well in Nascar, Haberman13?
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"]

Nah, consoles have better controls and community, and MUCH better games. Plus the ease of use is vastly superior to that of a PC.

Cheesehead9099

The ease of use is starting to become less as consoles keep adding services and requirements like install to hard drive.

And the idea of much better games is subjective unless you compare multiplats where PC generally is better. And in which genres does console have better controls?

Nope. You can plop down on the couch and play with your console. A console is a true Plug-n-Play device. PCs aren't. They require much more fine tuning and setup than a console where you simply plug the power and hdmi cable in and you can play. Did you read my spoiler tag? I said that all of this is subjective. The only unarguable objective fact is graphics. And consoles have better controls in racing, fighting, flight control (imo), and TPS (imo) games.

Um, it's the same with a PC.. Just plug in the HDMI cable and power and play. :|
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

MSDN is an amazing way to get ALL MS software for cheap.

Get 3 friends and its $50 each for Win 7, Office 2010 and Visual Studio 2010.

No brainer.

Also: SSD caching is incredible. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT SSD.

Consoles load games literally 100x slower than this PC. (I tested BC2 on PS3 as a comparison)

ehussein1379
As a MSDN subscriber, I can tell you that's a violation of the agreement. Those licenses are specifically for testing only, not personal use.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#155 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

WTF dude you think $860 is cheap?

JordanizPro

Compared to the generalizations of needing a 2000-5000 bucks rig it is.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"]

Ravensmash

Multiplatform games are not better games on PC, they have better graphics - not gameplay.

Tell that to PC versions of Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3, both of which are vastly superior to the console versions.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#157 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"]

Cheesehead9099

Nope. You can plop down on the couch and play with your console. A console is a true Plug-n-Play device. PCs aren't. They require much more fine tuning and setup than a console where you simply plug the power and hdmi cable in and you can play. Did you read my spoiler tag? I said that all of this is subjective. The only unarguable objective fact is graphics. And consoles have better controls in racing, fighting, flight control (imo), and TPS (imo) games.

For racing if you can use a wheel on both console and PC it's even. Flight control depends what you mean. TPS i would debate because it is easier to aim with keyboard and mouse and have key bindings for action ie ME2

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

PC Flopic, gotta keep upgrading for an ever shrinking library.

But hay Zynga and all their hardcore games will keep them happy : )

EvanTheGamer

Source?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

DragonfireXZ95

Tell that to PC versions of Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3, both of which are vastly superior to the console versions.

The word "vastly" apparently refers to a much smaller amount than when I learned the English language.
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 ehussein1379

In thread summation:

PC is superior, and has more options. But console is a great money saving alternative.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Multiplatform games are not better games on PC, they have better graphics - not gameplay.Ravensmash
Yeah, this is true. If we were talking about a massive gameplay and design difference there would be a point, but paying additional $600+ just for better graphics is not something I want to do.
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"]Multiplatform games are not better games on PC, they have better graphics - not gameplay.IronBass
Yeah, this is true. If we were talking about a massive gameplay and design difference there would be a point, but paying additional $600+ just for better graphics is not something I want to do.

Using ME2 as an example PC has better gameplay. I won't regurgitate, did you see the reasoning a few pages back?

ME2 has gameplay enhancements on PC. As do most multiplats.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Using ME2 as an example PC has better gameplay. I won't regurgitate, did you see the reasoning a few pages back?ME2 has gameplay enhancements on PC. As do most multiplats.ehussein1379
Using the keys to move is clunkier and far less confortable than sticks for a third person game. And even if it weren't, it's still the almost the exact same game, same levels, plot, characters and missions. Not something I'd pay extra 600 bucks for.
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]Using ME2 as an example PC has better gameplay. I won't regurgitate, did you see the reasoning a few pages back?ME2 has gameplay enhancements on PC. As do most multiplats.IronBass
Using the keys to move is clunkier and far less confortable than sticks for a third person game. And even if it weren't, it's still the almost the exact same game, same levels, plot, characters and missions. Not something I'd pay extra 600 bucks for.

Fair enough. But ... would you spend an extra $600 for everything else to be better? On top of which you get a multipurpose technology.

I would, as gaming is a hobby, but I understand the counter-argument as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Fair enough. But ... would you spend an extra $600 for everything else to be better? On top of which you get a multipurpose technology.

I would, as gaming is a hobby, but I understand the counter-argument as well.ehussein1379

No. As I said inmy previous post, if it were a massive design and gameplay improvement, I'd consider it.

M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#167 M4Ntan
Member since 2009 • 1438 Posts

you only need to spend 500 to max out games in 720p res, higher than most console games, and I know for a fact most of you spent more than 300 on your consoles, a lot of you most likely bought an xbox for 450. You wasted your money.

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 ehussein1379

PCs also have the advantage of being mutlipurpose.

Music center, movie center, internet browser, DDoS attacker (joke), games, graphic design, web design, money makin'!

You also get a tech lesson simply by their use to boot.

PC is win win win. Console is ... meh, I can game!

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#171 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
How this thread still isn't locked is beyond me. I seriously feel dumber reading some of the posts here.
markko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 markko84
Member since 2011 • 212 Posts

a cheap average pc with an a Corei5 + 450 GTS is good enought to overcome by a mile the atual generation of consoles.

However the library of the consoles is what's worth. Dicussing power is pointless and useless, we're talking about 6 year old machines here.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Music center, movie center, internet browser, DDoS attacker (joke), games, graphic design, web design, money makin'!

ehussein1379

All of which would go out of the window if I wanted to use it as a gaming machine.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#174 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"]

Cheesehead9099

Nope. You can plop down on the couch and play with your console. A console is a true Plug-n-Play device. PCs aren't. They require much more fine tuning and setup than a console where you simply plug the power and hdmi cable in and you can play. Did you read my spoiler tag? I said that all of this is subjective. The only unarguable objective fact is graphics. And consoles have better controls in racing, fighting, flight control (imo), and TPS (imo games.

PC only needs a power cable and HDMI too. The rest can all be done wireless.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 gmaster456

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

hakanakumono

All of which would go out of the window if I wanted to use it as a gaming machine.

Umm How?
zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#176 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

You pay for what you get. A PC is highly superior bust costs 10 times a console to get those vastly superior graphics.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 gmaster456

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

Nothing proves the old adage 'you get what you pay for' truer than consoles.

Yes, saving money is good, unless it is only marginally more for something dramatically superior.

However controls/community/games/graphics are unarguablly superior on PC.

mztazmz

I don't know how hard you hit your head this morning, but a PC that costs the same as a console pretty much SUCKS in graphics.

Go build yourself a $299 PC and you'll see what I mean. Integrated graphics, cheap crappy PSU, etc.

Don't be such an obvious PC tool

Because you only use a PC for 1 thing :roll: Tack on the cost of your laptop or desktop to your console. The gap is a lot smaller or even no existent isn't it? ;)
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 gmaster456

You pay for what you get. A PC is highly superior bust costs 10 times a console to get those vastly superior graphics.

zekere
Try 2x. You can EASILY build a great machine for $600. I don't know of anyone who would Spend $3000 on a PC.
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 ehussein1379

zekere

Maybe 3x, definitely NOT 10x.

You'll save that 3x back in Steam sales and overall productivity increase.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

gmaster456

Umm How?

As some PC gamers have pointed out, you can effectively create a PC that's a console. You can have it compact, plug into your TV, and use a Playstation controller on top of that. But am I really going to do my banking on this machine? Am I going to type up a report on my TV? Browse the web? Even if consoles were able to do what PCs are able to, it doesn't mean they would be a good replacement for my PC. The same is true if I were to use the PC as a console. It would probably just mean buying another PC to do all of those other things.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

Console is ... meh, I can game!

ehussein1379

Yes, that's why I buy them.

sami117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 sami117
Member since 2008 • 650 Posts

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

However controls/community/games are unarguablly superior on PC.

gmaster456

That is 100% subjective.

ahahahahah as a die hard pc gamer i gonna have to call you out their. everything exept communnity is an opion,(steam ftw)

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

You got a good deal for sure, but deals shouldn't be considered the norm. You're PC cost about 2.5 - 3x what I paid for my 360 ($300 new right after I started my sophomore year of college). I'm sure someone will say Steam sales, but I think Gamefly (Back when I still had it) offers far more savings and is probably the better alternative if you don't plan on replaying most of the games you buy.

It's certainly superior (Though I wouldn't call the photos on the first page any indication of "vastly") and epic though, I'll give you that. Your bargain hunting skills are godly! And I certainly do enjoy my PC for it's multitasking glory - but again, at 2 times the cost of a console and having given me an experience roughly equal to what I had on my console, I'd expect a bit of expanded functionality.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#184 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

PC Flopic, gotta keep upgrading for an ever shrinking library.

But hay Zynga and all their hardcore games will keep them happy : )

EvanTheGamer

You may want to back up the "ever shrinking" remark. Or don't, because I doubt you will.

Regardless, it has the most exclusives this gen, and that's not even counting multiplats that are available on a few systems, yet not on others.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#185 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]Worse graphics, worse games, worse controls, worse community.

Cheaper entry cost?

IronBass

I don't think the games, controls or community are worse. In fact, I think both the games and controls are better. And yes, it's cheaper, which is also a nice thing.

Controls being better is incorrect, you can use any controller you want on pc.

M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#186 M4Ntan
Member since 2009 • 1438 Posts

a cheap average pc with an a Corei5 + 450 GTS is good enought to overcome by a mile the atual generation of consoles.

However the library of the consoles is what's worth. Dicussing power is pointless and useless, we're talking about 6 year old machines here.

markko84

why would you get a core i5 with a 450 gts? a phenom ii x4 955 with a 560ti would be about the same price, and be beyond better than a single 450. It would be ahead of consoles by 2 whole generations.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#187 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Ok....if you say so.

Im happy with consoles i just like to play around for a few hours on splitscreen and by only buying a PC your missing out on a ton of good games by being as close minded as consolites :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Controls being better is incorrect, you can use any controller you want on pc.cain006
Not in every game. And there are compatibility issues and other things.
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="cain006"]Controls being better is incorrect, you can use any controller you want on pc.IronBass
Not in every game. And there are compatibility issues and other things.

Not really. 360 is plug-n-play in Win7, works flawlessly.

PS3 controller requires a driver, but nbd.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Not really. 360 is plug-n-play in Win7, works flawlessly.

ehussein1379

As I said, not every game has controller support.

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]Not really. 360 is plug-n-play in Win7, works flawlessly.

IronBass

As I said, not every game has controller support.

Hmm .. trying to think of a game I WANT controller support that doesn't have it.

Granted, you aren't playing CSS with a controller, but why would you want to?

Any game that is legitimately better with a controller (GTA4/JC2 for example) support it flawlessly.

Not to mention: like 360 or PS3 controller? On PC its up to you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Hmm .. trying to think of a game I WANT controller support that doesn't have it.

Any game that is legitimately better with a controller (GTA4/JC2 for example) support it flawlessly.

ehussein1379

On the top of my head, BioShock 2 and Mass Effect 2.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="markko84"]

M4Ntan

why would you get a core i5 with a 450 gts? a phenom ii x4 955 with a 560ti would be about the same price, and be beyond better than a single 450. It would be ahead of consoles by 2 whole generations.

2 generations ahead? That would be like comparing a PC now to SNES\Genesis :?
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

IronBass

On the top of my head, BioShock 2 and Mass Effect 2.

I said legitimately better :)

ME2 BS2 are both dramatically worse with a controller. Bioware made the enemies tougher in PC ME2 to accomodate for no-auto-aim.

You would get wiped on PC ME2 with a controller. A mouse is literally better, at controlling, that game.

BS2 is the same deal. Wiped with a controller because the devs enhanced the combat for PC.

Same with a lot of new games, devs are making the PC version harder because auto-aim doesn't facilitate the 'win'.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 deactivated-63f6895020e66

ME2 BS2 are both dramatically worse with a controller. Bioware made the enemies tougher in PC ME2 to accomodate for no-auto-aim.

You would get wiped on PC ME2 with a controller. A mouse is literally better, at controlling, that game.

BS2 is the same deal. Wiped with a controller because the devs enhanced the combat for PC.

Same with a lot of new games, devs are making the PC version harder because auto-aim doesn't facilitate the 'win'.

ehussein1379

There is not such thing as "legitimately better". How well a controller type works (as, how confortable you feel with it; how much fun are you having)is entirely up to each person's preference.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#196 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

So a PC that costs 4 times as much as a console is totally worth it when a much cheaper console plays the exact same games on what translates to medium settings?

Sound logic there TC, not unbiased at all. Especially not the whole "200x better" for what is a few better textures and a better framerate. Yup, 200x better alright.

Also this post might be too sarcastic for anyone too tell, but... I'm using sarcasm.

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

IronBass

There is not such thing as "legitimately better". How well a controller type work is entirely up toeach person's preference.

Not really.

The goal is to aim and kill things right? A mouse allows you to do that better, legitimately.

Beyond that, ME2 combat is enhanced for PC to accomodate that reality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Not really.

The goal is to aim and kill things right? A mouse allows you to do that better, legitimately.

ehussein1379

No, the goal is to have fun, and feeling confortable with the controller of your choice is a big part of that.

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]Not really.

IronBass

No, the goal is to have fun, and feeling confortable with the controller of your choice is a big part of that.

I could have fun racing my Grandma's car around a track. But would rather use a tool appropriate to the job!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 deactivated-63f6895020e66

I could have fun racing my Grandma's car around a track. But would rather use a tool appropriate to the job!ehussein1379

I wasn't talking about you, though. Ilike controllers more, because I feel more confortable with them and have more fun playing with them. Which makes them a perfectly appropriate "tool" for the "job" (in this case, to have fun).